all the gays join me in sitting shiva.

RIP Whitney Houston

you shoulda learned from amy

Mikachu Yukitatsu
12th February 2012, 02:33 AM
h9rCobRl-ng

firepokemon
12th February 2012, 03:03 AM
Oh m y Whitney Houston. Crack really was whack. So whack it fucked up your life you stupid cow.

Dark Sage
12th February 2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah, another celebrity who was an addict dies...

Just like Kurt Kobain... Michael Jackson...

...Elvis Presley...

Honestly, this did not surprise me one bit.

Link
12th February 2012, 07:29 AM
Addictions are a huge issue today. She shouldn't've used drugs, but she is in a far better place than this world.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
12th February 2012, 08:37 AM
Fuck all that shit, she lived. Like really lived.

'Don't do drugs, it's bad, blablabla'. It is, everyone knows, but atleast she had an exciting life, partied hard, was famous, etc. I'd sign for it any day, instead of rotting away in a suburban life. Bleg.

May you rest in peace!

Heald
12th February 2012, 08:38 AM
A black, single mother dies after years of drug abuse.

What's the story?

classy_cat18
12th February 2012, 08:48 AM
This was a real tragedy. I loved the pre-addict Whitney's music. But then her voice was ruined from the drugs and it started going downhill and WAHHHHHHHHH!

Oh God, why couldn't you find some way to take LMFAO!?

Lady Vulpix
12th February 2012, 09:47 AM
She used to be a good singer, but with all the drugs she'd been taking it was only a matter of time. I was more shocked to hear about Spinetta's death earlier this week.

Blademaster
12th February 2012, 07:20 PM
How old was she?

Lady Vulpix
12th February 2012, 08:04 PM
48, I think. Still young, but younger people have died of an overdose.

Gavin Luper
13th February 2012, 05:47 AM
Anyone dying is sad, but it pricks the global consciousness a little more when someone with a known talent and body of work dies; whether it's high-end art or popular music, they had some kind of public, known gift to the world that was cut off with their death. Whitney Houston had a great voice and some classic pop songs, and for that she'll be missed.

I don't get the cynicism that goes around celebrity deaths. Obviously the more people know someone, the more the outpouring of grief will be. If not for a personal relationship with the deceased, then for what the person represented to the mourner (a spiritual experience in art, a simple escape through pop music, a role model, etc.). So-called cynics crawling over one another to be more aloof and cold than the last are both laughable and depressing with their transparent motives, i.e. of making themselves look cool and unaffected. Why? I don't get it.

Same with drug addicts who die. It's frustrating and it's unsurprising, but I still find it immensely sad when someone is so despairing that they are unable to help themselves free from something they know is killing them.

Also, drug use =/= drug addiction. Drug use can be fun, but drug addiction is not, and Whitney was in the second camp. I think it's a bit naive/illogical to say she had an enviable existence because she was addicted to drugs.

mattbcl
13th February 2012, 06:57 AM
I don't get the cynicism that goes around celebrity deaths. Obviously the more people know someone, the more the outpouring of grief will be. If not for a personal relationship with the deceased, then for what the person represented to the mourner (a spiritual experience in art, a simple escape through pop music, a role model, etc.). So-called cynics crawling over one another to be more aloof and cold than the last are both laughable and depressing with their transparent motives, i.e. of making themselves look cool and unaffected. Why? I don't get it.

I agree with this sentiment. As to your question, my best guess is it's a form of schadenfreude. We're particularly craven about celebrity deaths because it's perversely amusing to look at that larger-than-life figure and prattle on about how we could do so much better with their resources than they did. We like to feel better about ourselves at the expense of others in general, but especially in the case of celebrities. It's jealousy, whether we realize it or not, and it's a pretty ugly color on a lot of people.

DarkestLight
13th February 2012, 08:54 AM
Oh God, why couldn't you find some way to take LMFAO!?

Because "Shots" is that new club banger and although has no real musical value, it does its job bloody well! And we wouldn't have that M&M commercial.

So nay. I for one-am in the "I dun care about Whitney" camp because everyone's acting like an angel fell. Yeah she rocked 80-early 90's before she went all druggie. Yeah she made astounding music. But she wasn't that awesome to me. Not like Michael. No way :/ But there is a significant generational gap as well. Whitney was closer to 80's children generations than Michael in terms of star awareness. Mike was doing music for fame sine he was like 6. Whitney was much later on.

Enough of the history lesson. Whitney died. I say later. If that paints me in a bad color, so be it. Rather be real and a horrid shade of purple than "omg she died :sadface:" and the way I am now.

Lady Vulpix
13th February 2012, 10:16 AM
Don't get me wrong, Gavin, I agree that it's sad. But it's been sad ever since she started abusing drugs. After years of drug abuse, her death was not much of a surprise.

Dark Sage
13th February 2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe we're jumping to conclusions, people. After all, until the coroner's report is out, we won't know for sure that it was an overdose.

I'd say it was likely, but I'll admit, we can't be certain yet.

Gavin Luper
13th February 2012, 12:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, Gavin, I agree that it's sad. But it's been sad ever since she started abusing drugs. After years of drug abuse, her death was not much of a surprise.

Of course. My comment wasn't directed at you in the slightest, either ^_^ More a general observation.

Heald
13th February 2012, 12:21 PM
So-called cynics crawling over one another to be more aloof and cold than the last are both laughable and depressing with their transparent motives, i.e. of making themselves look cool and unaffected. Why? I don't get it.
Maybe those same people think its laughable and depressing that so many people get upset over the death of someone with whom they actually never had any measurable connection, beyond having some of their songs as 4-star (and one or two of their best as 5-star) on iTunes. If the grief is about as deep as a dried puddle, so will the response to said grief.

Anyway Gavin, maybe time to get off that high horse now?

Gavin Luper
13th February 2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe those same people think its laughable and depressing that so many people get upset over the death of someone with whom they actually never had any measurable connection, beyond having some of their songs as 4-star (and one or two of their best as 5-star) on iTunes. If the grief is about as deep as a dried puddle, so will the response to said grief.

Anyway Gavin, maybe time to get off that high horse now?

I'm not on a high horse mate, just saying what I think, and I stand by it. There's nothing wrong with people grieving the loss of an artist they admired and they don't need to be sledged for it. I don't think it's cool to make light of the dead.

Get off your cynical horse. :P

Heald
13th February 2012, 12:58 PM
I'm not on a high horse mate, just saying what I think, and I stand by it. There's nothing wrong with people grieving the loss of an artist they admired and they don't need to be sledged for it. I don't think it's cool to make light of the dead.

Get off your cynical horse. :P

So-called cynics crawling over one another to be more aloof and cold than the last are both laughable and depressing with their transparent motives, i.e. of making themselves look cool and unaffected.
Anyone who begins a sentence with 'So-called' is already on a horse. The rest of the sentence just determines the height of the beast.

So people who aren't grieving a dead celebrity should just say nothing? Was my previous comment (meant to be taken as a joke, by the way) regarding 'Where's the story' something that would fall into a category of a comment to make myself look "cool and unaffected"?

Some people express grief or cope with grief through jokes, or through a joke at the expense of the deceased. Some people are just dicks who feel no grief and make jokes anyway. At least she accomplished enough in life for people to make jokes about her, whether well-intentioned or not. It forms a twisted part of humanity, where an unnatural death isn't always the tragic end to an unfinished story but instead the abrupt punch-line to a strange tale. Whitney will be remembered for centuries for her music, whereas the circumstances of her death, and the jokes that accompanied it, will fade into obscurity. It's just as natural to make light of a death that doesn't affect you as it is to feel sorrow at a death that only affects you only a superficial level. Attacking people who do one or the other is, on the other hand, a character flaw.

Gavin Luper
13th February 2012, 01:26 PM
Anyone who begins a sentence with 'So-called' is already on a horse. The rest of the sentence just determines the height of the beast.

So people who aren't grieving a dead celebrity should just say nothing? Was my previous comment (meant to be taken as a joke, by the way) regarding 'Where's the story' something that would fall into a category of a comment to make myself look "cool and unaffected"?

Some people express grief or cope with grief through jokes, or through a joke at the expense of the deceased. Some people are just dicks who feel no grief and make jokes anyway. At least she accomplished enough in life for people to make jokes about her, whether well-intentioned or not. It forms a twisted part of humanity, where an unnatural death isn't always the tragic end to an unfinished story but instead the abrupt punch-line to a strange tale. Whitney will be remembered for centuries for her music, whereas the circumstances of her death, and the jokes that accompanied it, will fade into obscurity. It's just as natural to make light of a death that doesn't affect you as it is to feel sorrow at a death that only affects you only a superficial level. Attacking people who do one or the other is, on the other hand, a character flaw.

Making light of the dead is not the same thing as trashing the dead. Humour is pretty much sacred for me. The Eulogy Song by the Chaser dudes is completely irreverent toward death, and yet it's clearly done with humour and light-heartedness. However, some people have no ability to divine a humourous remark from a mirthless, bitchy quip, and it seems some such remarks are essentially made not to make an audience laugh along, but just to look, like, totally badass. I think making light of death is one thing, trashing a dead celebrity as soon as they die is just tryhard and lame in my book, that's it.

Seriously mate, it's okay for people to have different opinions to you. Someone thinking independently doesn't mean they're on a high horse. You don't mind some behaviours, I dislike them. We can agree to disagree. It's really, really not a big drama.

Heald
13th February 2012, 01:35 PM
Fair enough. I think we might have misinterpreted each other's remarks (since most of your reply really did not address what I was trying to say) so I'll just leave it there. Go Whitney, woo.

Blademaster
13th February 2012, 02:20 PM
Anyone dying is sad

I'd contest this, but we're off-topic enough as it is...

Also, 48? She went younger than I thought. Figured she was in her 50's by now...

MeLoVeGhOsTs
13th February 2012, 05:32 PM
That's what drugs do to you:D

Bear
13th February 2012, 05:58 PM
I guess she waited a little too long to exhale...

too soon?

homeofmew
14th February 2012, 11:08 AM
RIP - It's a shame too.

Blademaster
14th February 2012, 03:06 PM
too soon?

Nah. I heard this gem yesterday: "What's six inches long and isn't getting sucked on Valentine's Day?"

It's Whitney Houston's crack pipe.