PDA

View Full Version : a preview of my fanfic

Madelyn151
14th December 2002, 08:13 PM
hmm... well, according to what i have written, my fanfic is called, ever uncreatively, "the storm". this is basically just some cheesy part of the fanfiction. it's random and has nothing to do with the plot, but, like, it's christmas-themed. if i ever, like, finish my fanfic (never happening x_X), i'll post it here. background : sarah and colin are in the elite four of a world falling apart. they are best friends. and no, they're not boyfriend and girlfriend, although i probably picked the wrong scene to show that, because sarah is like, "omg colin's hot," and colin's like, "i'm in love with this girl." ^_^;; i was on a serious RENT high while i wrote this, so, like, yeah.

“It’s very strange,” Colin remarked.
“What?” Sarah questioned, watching the boy fiddle with his glasses. Colin always seemed so damn nervous.
He looked up, gray eyes boring into her own. Sarah felt flushed. Just because she could never love Colin in any romantic way didn’t mean that she didn’t realize how good-looking he was. The thing was, he was totally oblivious about it. “Don’t you… don’t you feel like something terrible is happening, and we can’t do anything about it? Like we’re just stuck here until it takes us over. And we just have to watch it take over the world…”
Sarah shook her head. “You think too much, Colin darling.” Grinning, she offered, “Besides, I thought you said I was the negative one.” She twirled a strand of her blonde hair between her short, stubby fingers.
Colin just smiled in return. “It’s amazing, Sarah, you make me smile even in times like this.” He sat back further in the chair in which he sat, eyes reflecting the dull gray of the ceiling with a million times more brightness. Rain pattered a random pattern on the outside of the building. Colin was really amazed. This was being content. The world could end and as long as he was with this girl, and he wouldn’t care, as long as he was with her. He wasn’t attracted to her at all, but he loved her. That he did.
Sarah looked up at the ceiling. “Do you remember anything from before we were the Elite?”
“No,” Colin lied, evenly. “Nothing special.”
“Remember when we met?” Sarah asked, lips curving upwards. She’d brought this topic up many times before, but it always brought a smile to her face. “You were the best damn Christmas present ever.”

“Christmas bells are ringing… Christmas bells are ringing… Christmas bells are ringing… somewhere else, not here.”
Sarah McCormick shut off the CD player in irritation. It was just too ironic. The shabby, burnt calendar on the wall said “December 24.” Sure didn’t feel like it. Where were the presents, the joy, the cheer, and above all, the love? She didn’t even have a family anymore. Her sister had gone off to join the Johto armies and hadn’t been seen since. Her parents, well… they had been in Team Rocket, back in their youth, but had quit once they had seen how evil they were getting. Once Team Rocket took over, they had made sure to kill the deflectors first. The attack on Saffron City happened while Sarah was at school. She had returned home to find her house awash in police lights, flashing red-blue-red-blue-red-blue. Colors that echoed in her nightmares.
It wasn’t cold, but she shuddered and hugged her Pokémon she could reach to her. She gently stroked Pidgeotto’s fluffy down while hugging Ponyta to her, even though it could never really warm her. Eneko and Kekleon had found a place in the hollow of her lap. Rhyhorn slept, deep nasal snorts echoing from him. Hinbasu watched gleefully from its tank, a heartbreaking smile splitting its face almost up to its eyes. Sarah grinned up at the ugly fish. It would forever be useless until it evolved. And it could never do that, as Team Rocket didn’t allow commoners to have Pokémon, so she couldn’t train it. Sarah kept them illegally. She figured that if she was found out, she would at least go to where her parents and probably her sister were.
Sarah looked around at her Pokémon, love swelling in her heart. Her eyes took in their shapes and her ears absorbed their cries, coos, and snores. They were all common and mostly weak Pokémon, but she didn’t care. They were hers. She loved them. She looked out through a shattered windowpane to see thick, sparkling snowflakes flutter elegantly down. Suddenly, she heard a knock on the door. Normally, Sarah would have never answered it. She would have hidden herself and her Pokémon. Knocks on the door in this world usually meant only Team Rocket. But instead, relief swept over her. She didn’t know why, but she trusted whoever or whatever was at the door with all her being. She strode up to her splintered, decrepit wooden door, and pulled it open.
“Quiiiil,” the Pokémon at the door weakly squeaked, before collapsing, landing halfway in the foyer to Sarah’s house and halfway to the cold. Sarah immediately identified the species as a Quilava. It had a pure white belly and a deep ebony top, and its flame collar and tail sputtered, appearing to be weakened by the snow.
“Poor thing,” Sarah said mostly to herself, gently picking up the weasel and carrying it into where her other Pokémon were.

“Supersonic, again, please.” The boy would have never admitted it, but he was near tears. He was alone with his Pokémon, in the snow and the dark, with only a thin button-down shirt stolen from the drawers of his dad before he fled Cerulean. An actual tear slid down his cheek, freezing to ice before it hit the white ground below his feet. His dad was gone. It wasn’t really stealing. It couldn’t be. He just wished it was.
A huge, fuzzy bug, a tiny shrew, a cute, floppy-eared kitten, a black snake, and a spiral-bellied, fully bipedal tadpole opened their mouths, filling the air with screeching sound. The boy, Colin, heard the waves bounce off buildings and into the distance, echoing off the huge snowy mountains. He only hoped Team Rocket didn’t hear, but he had nothing to care for anymore. “Zang,” the feline, an immature Zanguusu, offered sadly. Colin quietly contemplated the gently falling snow. Oh, it was too ironic. Losing his first Pokémon on, of all days, Christmas? This world had gotten so screwed up.
“Quilava…” he spoke out loud. Suddenly, he heard the plaintive voice of the lithe Fire-type echo in his mind. Colin shouted out loud, and ran in the first direction he thought felt appropriate to him. His other Pokémon, Zanguusu, Habunake, Venonat, Poliwhirl, and Sandshrew, all took off after him, on stumpy, unevolved legs.

Another knock on the door echoed through Sarah’s house. “And merry Christmas to you guys too,” she commented angrily, although feeling the numbing calm wash over her. She could remember going to Cinnabar Island as a child, and feeling the warm, eternally sun-heated waves flow over her. That’s what it felt like, but it was a mentally pleasing feeling too. It increased tenfold with the second knock. Sarah ran over to the door and whipped it open. “Yes?”
The boy in the doorway was covered in snow, surrounding his body like a white halo. He had brown shoes, dark navy jeans, and a black button-down shirt on, along with skewered glasses. He was tired. His eyes, shockingly gray, drooped, and his skin was pallid, spotted with freckles, while the area under his eyes was a dark, swelling violet-blue. “Ismyquilavahere??!!” he shouted in one breath. Sarah could tell the fatigue of this person, about her age.
“What?” Sarah couldn’t help but smile.
“Is. My. Quilava. Here?” His eyes begged her.
Sarah smiled up at the other person. “I believe so.” His thin lips broke out into the first smile of pure joy and happiness that Sarah had seen in at least a year.

Minutes later, there was a warm, crackling fire in Sarah’s house as she sat on an old folding chair, talking with the stranger, Colin. “You come from Cerulean?” Sarah asked politely, sipping her hot water. That was all she had to drink, and she had to scoop it from outside, where the snow was fluffing up. Colin took a long sip of his drink, also hot water. His six Pokémon lay asleep by his feet. He nodded quietly. Sarah bit her lip. “I’m sorry.”
“Don’t apologize,” Colin replied quickly. “It’s not like you could help it. It’s not like you haven’t gone through it.” He looked around Sarah’s house. “You got it worse than I did. I was just visiting Cerulean, and it got… well…” His gray eyes flashed with something. It wasn’t anger. He then immediately smiled up at Sarah. “You have Pokémon.”
She grinned back. “Yeah, my, uh, sister was a great trainer. She inspired me and left me her Kekleon when she went off to fight.” She paused. “She… she never came back.” Sarah quietly pushed a lock of her longish blonde hair behind her pale ear. When she looked at Colin’s face, she saw a myriad of emotions. Fear, admiration, longing, disappointment, sorrow, joy all reflected back in the mirror of his slate eyes. She moved her chair closer to his and gave him a hug. It was purely platonic. She could just tell he needed it. She heard something quiet, and her shoulder was damp soon. Sarah bit her lip. She didn’t want to cry. Why had this boy affected her so much, when she’d just met him?
There was a clock in Saffron City that rang at every hour, much to the annoyance of the residents back when the town was occupied. It always woke them up. Sarah thought it was funny what seemed important then as compared to now. The bells of the clock echoed in the background that was her mind. She counted out twelve echoing rings. “December twenty-fifth,” she said out loud, a smile forming over her own face. It felt like she was crushing plaster off a frozen canvas to do that. It felt so good. “Merry Christmas.”
The boy raised his head. There were slight, glittering trails down his cheeks. He sniffed, and smiled, melancholy. “Merry, merry Christmas. Thank you so much.”
“Hinba!” the grotesque brown fish over in the corner squealed. Its brown color, flecked with mustard-yellow spots, exploded into a brilliant white light, stretching and morphing. When the light faded, a new beast stood. It was snake shaped and about ten feet long, and a cream color. It had beautiful feminine eyes, two black antennae, and a pattern of brick red and sapphire scales toward the end of its tail. A plethora of peacock-like feathers sprouted from its tail.
As Sarah looked on in amazement, she heard her Pokédex say, “It is only under the greatest amounts of love and tenderness that Hinbasu will evolve into its beautiful mature form, Mirokarosu.”
“Congratulations, Mirokarosu!” Sarah cried out, running to hug the water snake. It had already slithered into her arms, and had its spherical head on its shoulder, cooing happily.
“Congrats,” Colin yelped from behind Sarah. She could tell he was smiling.
“Miro!” Mirokarosu exclaimed. And everybody there, human or Pokémon, knew what it was saying.
Merry Christmas.

*hides in shame* i hate what i write. ^_^;

Mewfour
14th December 2002, 11:11 PM
Preview? This is enough for a whole bloomin' chapter! You obviously have no trouble with wirters block.... oy....

MetaKnight89
15th December 2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Mewfour
Preview? This is enough for a whole bloomin' chapter! You obviously have no trouble with wirters block.... oy....
agreed. mostly a preview is about a paragraph

Madelyn151
15th December 2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Mewfour

oops...i thought previews were supposed to be, like, a chapter. my bad. it was mostly just a christmas-based portion of the fic, so, like... heh. whoops.

and yes, i do have writers block to the like infinity power. :(

Count von Dark
15th December 2002, 10:54 PM
Ah! Goody! But according to my ideas, a chaptershould be about 5000 to 8000 words, and a prologue a background or history of the whole story (not like I could ever write that much)

Anyways, it's a great ficcy. Interesting and original, too!

Cheers!

dratinihaunter13
16th December 2002, 05:07 PM
great preview! It really served it's job well, giving the background and making it very interesting. I wonder how the relationship between these two has developed after that Christmas. Especially appropriate cuz of the christmas season, just felt like it had to be pointed out >_<. I liked a lot of the writer's touches in here, like the siren of the police car "red-blue-red-blue" and the plaster simile towards the end was well done also. I had a little trouble believing how the two strangers could exhibit such love to even make that pokemon evolve, when they'd just met each other. Perhaps times were just that hard. And hooray for new pokeymanz =) the size didn't bother me either. if the preview's this good i'd even want longer.

Madelyn151
16th December 2002, 05:50 PM
thank you guys so much! :)

this isn't a preview, really, or a background, or a prologue. it's a part of the story. but it's christmas-themed, and this story is going to be finished way after christmas, so i figured i might as well post this part now. :) and for those of you that say i'm a good writer : tell my english/global teachers that... x_x;