PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite moments in sport

Drago
28th February 2012, 06:37 AM
ITT we basically gloat about any glory our favourite teams have (or in my case, had).

BwxuquJ3xxE
My number one moment is still Joe Carter's walk off home run to end the '93 World Series and claim a second straight championship for the Toronto Blue Jays. I was way too young at the time to really pay it much mind back then, but all of Canada was buzzing with excitement for the Jays back then. So although I can't say I took it all in live, watching it now... It's so damned spectacular, and only one other sporting moment gives me such elation.

F_koQujQ8Vg
And this is it, here. Although, watching it again now almost makes me feel as though this should be the number one moment in my memory!! After all, I had been closely following the trials and missteps of Canada's Olympic squad that year, and to beat the Yanks... in overtime... in MY Vancouver... Damn, man. Fantastic stuff.

lY2aNHgR0lA
This... is just hilarious. A great moment in sport.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
28th February 2012, 06:59 AM
I think this was especially enjoyable for Finnish football fans, whose team, of course, never makes it...

VtWpKOY442E

Heald
28th February 2012, 12:49 PM
This all over. The 1998 Division 1 Play-Off Final between Charlton Athletic and Sunderland FC:

gHFkFqVcFGo

A little history on this. Division 1 no longer exists (it is now known as the Championship) but once the season finishes, 3 teams are promoted to the Premier League. The top 2 teams are automatically promoted, whereas teams 3 to 6 compete in a series of play-offs, the winner of which wins the third promotion slot. The two teams to reach the play-off final in 1998 were Sunderland and, my team, Charlton Athletic.

Sunderland had only ever been to the Premier League once, whereas Charlton had never been promoted to the Premier League before. This was a big fixture for either team in any case, and not just because of the occasion, as for Sunderland a second chance to cement themselves in the Premier League and, for Charlton, to return to the top tier of English football, which was especially important as, before their many years of financial turmoil, they had been one of the greatest sides in English football.

This is regarded by many to be one of the greatest games of football ever to have been played in England. Some even say it was better than England's World Cup Win in 1966 over Germany at the same stadium. A game that had no shortage of drama, and every player an ambassador for the game itself. 120 minutes of a sheer footballing masterclass followed by a series of excellent penalty kicks. The teams themselves were a great example of how brilliant English football could be. In these days, hardly any foreign players played in England, and most of those who did played in the Premier League, for top tier sides such as Arsenal and Manchester United. Most players on the pitch were homegrown players who would have cut their teeth at the teams they played for that day, and the match was the result of their ongoing efforts and undying determination. Players like this simply do not exist in England today.

At the end of the match, both teams had a newfound deep respect for each other that lasts to this day. Whenever these two teams meet, the pundits never fail to reference this legendary match, and Charlton and Sunderland fans alike have warm relations, thanks to match that to this day is a showpiece for both sides.

For me, it holds a very personal place in my heart. Why? Well not least because I was in the crowd that day, it was the first time I had ever been to Wembley Stadium, and I had spent the hours building up to the match with close family and friends at one of our favourite pubs ready to get the coach up. The atmosphere was absolutely amazing. A packed stadium singing and cheering the whole way through. No hooliganism, no bad language or behaviour, just proper, grassroots support. This was one of the last football matches I went to with my dad, as only a few years later he lost his battle with cancer, and this match is one of my fondest memories with him.

Cferra
28th February 2012, 12:56 PM
Let's see...

When the Red Sox won the world series in 2004 and in 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpLX5EmpfUk

When the Bruins won the Stanley cup last season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDOR-MEwMU

When the Celtics won the NBA Championship many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNXx3Je_utw

When the Patriots won the Super Bowl many times in recent memory. Not this year of course.

ChobiChibi
28th February 2012, 12:59 PM
I don't like sport very much, but this has to be it.

Sorry Aussies, in advance :P

cym3Whor0MY

And this one here, just for the pure wow.

pjyfMCTAqKU

firepokemon
28th February 2012, 06:39 PM
I didn't realise you were Canadian Dragoknight. I have a few I can think of right at this moment though undoubtedly there will be heaps I have forgotten.

1996 Olympics

Gymnastics - US Women's Team. I am a huge fan of the olympics and every olympics have religiously watched them (though I'm not sure whether I will this time). The US team were in a great position and then you had wee Keri Strug hobbling and having to nail one final vault. The vault is probably the most difficult out of any four gymnastic elements. So Keri Strug had to nail one vault and she did but seriously hurt her leg in the process but still the US team won gold. Now if they win this year I will be seriously pissed.

At the same olympics I must include New Zealand winning Gold and Silver in the Equestrian three-day event individual. Seeing Blythe Tait win Gold for New Zealand was great but also us winning the silver medal as well was absolutely brilliant.

2010 Winter Olympics
Norway - Norway - Norway

New Zealand was won one sole medal in all of Winter Olympics and therefore Norway becomes my adopted country. I still remember seeing them get gold after gold at Lilliehammer and Ole Elinar Bjorndalen winning all four medals in Biathlon in 2002. Forget Canada getting the most gold medals ever. They're mostly in silly sports. Norway still remain the true Kings and Queens of winter sports.

Aksel Lund Svindal won three medals in Alpine Skiing. He is seriously sexy and after a great Silver in the downhill he absolutely dominated in the Super G (Norwegians seem to be really good in Super G). He also grabbed a bronze in Giant Slalom.

Ole Elinar Bjorndalen wins another Gold medal as the Norwegian men win the Biathlon relay. In 1998 Ole won his first gold medal. In 2002 he dominated all four events in Biathlon. 2006 saw him get a few silvers and bronze. In 2010 he did poorly in both the spring and biathlon. He did grab a silver in Individual. But his gold in the relay was amazing. He was the final man and the head coach could have decided to swap him. In the prone shot he missed a few times but was neck and neck with the Senior Austrian skiier. At the standing shot he was absolutely perfect and romped home. I had tears in my eyes.

Also a big shout out to Norway in the Cross Country. They had some superb competitions.

Lastly I'll go to Netball. Netball is generally a women's sport and isn't widely played outside the Commonwealth. The top two teams have typically always been Australia and New Zealand. Being a New Zealander trans-tasman matches have always been something to watch. (The same will apply to Australians but being a more international and successful sporting nation. I don't think they have the same emotions. Australia tends to win the netball matches more than NZ. But since the 1999 Netball World Championship, netball matches between Australia and New Zealand have been epically close. In 1999 New Zealand was leading Australia by more than five goals only to see that lead close and then us NZ ultimately losing to the Australians. The same thing happened at the 2002 Commonwealth games. In 2004 NZ finally beat Australia at the world champions. We repeating at the commonwealth games in 2006. 2008 and New Zealand lose the world championship to Australia. 2010 Dehli Commonwealth Games. They've been pretty crap for New Zealand and the whole event was rather useless. But this netball match was epic. Both sides were evenly matched at half time By the fourth quarter New Zealand had built up a solid lead but as with all trans-tasman matches. Australians have the capacity to fight back and eventually they level the match come full time. This means two quick seven minute halves and the scores remain level with both shooters slotting in every goal. At this time the first team to score by more than 2 points will win the match. And so back and forth New Zealand and Australia go until Maria Tutaia scores the winning goal and New Zealand win. You had to be watching it but the match was epic.

Telume
28th February 2012, 08:05 PM
S58rstMhKK8

YES YES AND MORE YES.

2bg8vQKN4m8

One of my friends was crying after this goal.

mcGA2W4d5_E

It's in spanish but, this is one of my favorite all-time USA goals.

UXbgfW4b3Tw

Another good moment from team USA.

uos71JHj6nE

USA Women's team but, hey our women deserve love too.

On that note....

Z_uFUBIOEdc

Need I say more? Much respect to their men's team but, I HATE their women's team. Especially for all that fucking time-wasting they did.

Jeff
28th February 2012, 08:08 PM
As a Baltimore Ravens fan, I'd have to say my two most favorite moments happened just this past season.

First, some background. The Ravens have had a longtime rivalry with the Pittsburgh Steelers that has its origins in the rivalry between the Steelers and the old Cleveland Browns (who became the Ravens when they moved to Baltimore). In recent years, the Steelers have had the upper hand, particularly in the playoffs. In fact, the Ravens' 2010 season ended with a playoff loss to the Steelers after the Steelers had managed to erase a 14-point halftime deficit and pull ahead for the win.

The 2011 season started on September 11th, and included a game between the the Ravens and Steelers in Baltimore. It was one of the three games that the NFL had designated to commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11, so it was in the national spotlight. With the Ravens still looking for revenge, they managed to give their rivals a 35-7 thrashing.

VsAF0Lt2ook

Everyone knew their next meeting would be different. It was going to be in Pittsburgh, with the Steelers now looking for revenge for the embarrassing defeat they suffered in Week 1. The Steelers were favored to win. The game played out more like a traditional Ravens-Steelers game. It was hard-fought, went back and forth, and came down to the wire. The Ravens got an early lead, and managed to get 10 points up on the Steelers, but the Steelers fought back in the second half. After they scored two unanswered touchdowns to take a 4-point lead, it was looking all too familiar for Ravens fans. The turning point came towards the end of the game when the Steelers were looking to go for a 47-yard field goal, but after a delay of game penalty, they were backed up into a 52-yard situation. They opted to punt and pinned the Ravens at their own 8 yard line. The crowd went nuts. They knew there was no way the Ravens would be able to move the ball 92 yards against their team's defense with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. What happened next will forever go down in Ravens lore. The Ravens drove down the field and were knocking on the door of the end zone in the final minute of the game. In an attempt to seal the deal, quarterback Joe Flacco threw a pass to rookie Torrey Smith in the end zone, but it bounced off his fingertips. It was another haunting memory for Ravens fans, as the team has a history of receivers missing potential game-winning touchdowns. The Ravens kept going, and as the clock was counting down the final 16 seconds of the game, Flacco did the unthinkable. He threw to Smith again. The rest is history:

jbGxdmhhe_Y

On the baseball side of things, I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan. The Orioles... well, let's just say that whenever we say "this is their year", we mean maybe they'll win at least half of their games this year. We don't say it much.

The most exiting thing they've done recently is beat the Red Sox to knock them out of playoff contention this past season. Yup, the most exiting thing that could be said about our team is that they were the reason a division rival didn't go to that season's playoffs.

Roy Karrde
28th February 2012, 08:24 PM
s8zZRBTOcnY

4th and 5, last seconds of the game, the national championship on the line. And the Texas Longhorns pull away a upset victory! It was a amazing game, a amazing ending, and the last national championship for Texas my Grandfather would see before he passed away.

htk7gokAnLY

Texas Rangers beat the New York Yankees to go to their first World Series. I was lucky enough to get to go to this game, and get standing room only seats. The atmosphere was like nothing I had experienced before.

8OiI1YqQdyc

There are so many story lines in this game, D Wade and James being crowned the winners before the series even started. No team, no sports caster, believing in the Mavericks at the beginning of the playoffs, even saying they wanted to face them. But most of all, sweet sweet revenge, for a title utterly stolen from the team in 06, this is the greatest revenge a team and fan could have.

u9ZBI876Nto

A non Texas team for you, the end of Super Bowl XXXIV, Tennessee loses by one yard, one single yard. You cannot script a better ending.

Edit: Why has no one posted this one yet? It has to be the greatest sports moment ever.

8gfD134ED54

I dare anyone to name a sport's moment that stacks up with this one.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
29th February 2012, 07:43 AM
I'm repeating myself, but this time I have a point.

ZRROpiNAvPw

Mikael Granlund's 'ilmaveivi' can be repeated.

2osD6OMKY-w

Heald
29th February 2012, 12:07 PM
Challenge accepted:

nG_8E7-CVxY

What's better, a bunch of Yanks beating a 3rd world country in a sport most of the globe doesn't care about, or RECEIVING THE JULES RIMET TROPHY FROM THE MUTHAFUCKIN' QUEEN OF ENGLAND?

Drago
29th February 2012, 05:54 PM
I didn't realise you were Canadian Dragoknight.
Dual-citizenship, baby!

vVC3yBHjNvo
It'll be a long time yet before I forgive Vince Carter for the way he gave up on Toronto, turned his back on the fans and bolted for greener pastures in a way that makes LeBron James blush, but I'll always have my memories. You can taint them in hindsight, but you can't take away the magic they once held.

Vince Carter's dominance of the dunk contest at the top of the millennium was a spectacle that's still spoken of today. Some call Carter the best dunker of his time, and finally, the Toronto Raptors could claim that one of their own was the very best. There hasn't been a great deal of success for the young franchise, and other than a playoff series win a few years back, this would probably be the #1 moment for most Raps' fans.

wPhONc6xC48
Come on, you had to know it was coming, right? Buffalo fans, clutch tightly to your memories of January '93, because moment #4 from me is that controversial old favourite.

In the dying seconds of the wildcard match against the Bills, the Titans held a 16-15 disadvantage as they fielded Steve Christie's kickoff from the 25-yard line. The rest is automatic in the minds of Titans fans: Lorenzo Neal hands the ball to Frank Wycheck. Wycheck heads to his right, pivots, and piffs the ball across the field to Kevin Dyson, who takes it the rest of the way, untouched. To the naked eye, the trajectory of the pass is nearly impossible to determine. Is it a legal lateral? Or did it go forward, rendering the play dead? Bills fans will always attest it to be the latter, but the officials upheld the play. Titans win, and go all the way to the Superbowl. Unfortunately, in that Superbowl, the magical moment would happen to the wrong team...

Telume
29th February 2012, 06:11 PM
Challenge accepted:

nG_8E7-CVxY

What's better, a bunch of Yanks beating a 3rd world country in a sport most of the globe doesn't care about, or RECEIVING THE JULES RIMET TROPHY FROM THE MUTHAFUCKIN' QUEEN OF ENGLAND?

In this Yank's opinion, this wins ^

Also:

jCW61Eycwps

THIS IS THE MOST SATISFYING VICTORY EVER, I HATE THEM DAMN ITALIANS.

DarkestLight
29th February 2012, 07:41 PM
You want satisfying?

WY0I2i1eQ6Y Go to about 8:30, in the video.

Now, what you need to understand was that-in a city suffocated by Knick love, I was a rare Bull (re: not Jordan. Bulls.) fan. So this night, game Six(after game 5 royally pissed my mom and I off) we were on the edge of our seats, cursing at every missed shot and bad conversion.

It's a friggin 2 point lead, and they inbound the ball. Jordan to Pippen to Jordan to Horace to Paxson...

I swear to any diety you may believe in-time slowed down. My mom couldn't even watch, and Im like >OOOOO THAT BETTER GO INNNN!!! Longest .7 seconds of MY. LIFE. The second that sucker hit nothing but net, I think I performed my first shoryuuken. I remember cause I hit the ceiling in exaltation. It was seriously a world changing moment. It's strange. I watch this video now, and I still have powerful nostalgic flashbacks, all the way to what I was eating, and the light dimmer in the house on 45%, just all sorts of things.

The following 3.9 seconds were a bit of a heartache, but we finished it off and then scrambled to QVC to buy up the 3 peat stuff. :D

Heald
1st March 2012, 12:59 PM
THIS IS THE MOST SATISFYING VICTORY EVER, I HATE THEM DAMN ITALIANS.
US football is definitely coming of age. I imagine in a couple of generations time you guys will be a World Cup last-16 staple.

But US commentators on football (soccer) just sounds so funny. It just doesn't compare to British or European commentary at all. It sounds so slow and methodical, almost surgical. It's the exact same commentary they give American football, where it works, because American football is a slow game. The American guy who goes 'What a finish' just has absolutely no passion.

If you want passion, watch this:

81n1cjxOklY

Pichu Luver
1st March 2012, 05:32 PM
And this is it, here. Although, watching it again now almost makes me feel as though this should be the number one moment in my memory!! After all, I had been closely following the trials and missteps of Canada's Olympic squad that year, and to beat the Yanks... in overtime... in MY Vancouver... Damn, man. Fantastic stuff.

Agrees with this ^^^. Such a tense game and much hugging and happiness when Sidney got that goal. :partyhat: Gotta love the women too though. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=allADNXAAMAI) But also:

3R2HjpW_9dQ

and

t6zZHqYsQKI

I have never been so gleeful and boucing around as when both the men and women won. I heard the men's win on the radio in the car and my mom was honking the horn at people as we made our way home. SO much win. ^^

I answer with this:

lMf2fAXPS1Q

:P My Dad remembers watching the Summit Series in school. Screw education. Hockey FTW.

These are not team moments, but they are some of my favourite moments in sport.

1. Mine That Bird wins the Kentucky Derby. For sheer LOLz and WTF? Even the race caller was so surprised he missed-called the race.

Hv8x9x5A49s

50 to 1, woulda been higher except the way odds on horse races work now it can't be. Gotta love it.

2. Secretariat and his Belmont Stakes/Triple Crown victory. Admitedly the picture here is not the best but DAMN:

V18ui3Rtjz4

I knew about him before the movie, this race was in 1973 and his record time of 2 minutes 24 seconds over a mile and a half is still held to this day. He won by 248 feet (76 m). I can't look at that and not think hoooooly shit. Awesome, awesome horse.

Jeff
1st March 2012, 05:41 PM
On a more historical note:

DTpElAoGBZE

I remember watching that game on TV as a kid.

Telume
1st March 2012, 06:48 PM
US football is definitely coming of age. I imagine in a couple of generations time you guys will be a World Cup last-16 staple.

But US commentators on football (soccer) just sounds so funny. It just doesn't compare to British or European commentary at all. It sounds so slow and methodical, almost surgical. It's the exact same commentary they give American football, where it works, because American football is a slow game. The American guy who goes 'What a finish' just has absolutely no passion.

If you want passion, watch this (PS. this is the gold cup 2007 but in English):

81n1cjxOklY

That's why I watch the games in Spanish, though, ESPN hired a couple of British commentators and they're both pretty pro-US. I think they do a pretty good job.

This is about as close as I can get the name of the commentator here is Max Bretos:

6I3HCOMYTYc

Leon-IH
4th March 2012, 03:32 AM
2YNO2r3tvKk

5:50 to 6:30 -- one of the most memorable moments in K-1 Kickboxing.

Dark Scizor
9th March 2012, 02:51 PM
XuKHtcIdD4M