PDA

View Full Version : i love you guys

shazza
4th April 2012, 11:10 AM
do you reckon that the internet will become so ubiquitous that is an interaction with the world that it overlaps we'll soon be able to boarder countries via the uploading of our consciousness? do you reckon thsi website will go down before our lifetimes? imagine when like in 2070 tpm members start dying -- i wonder if we'll find out or we would have lost contact? internet is really destroying the whole idea of losing contact concept?

man, i really don't want to die.

Have you accepted the fact you're going to die? Or does the idea of immortality that is dreamed for by the likes of Ray Kurzweil escape the acceptance? If it escapes the acceptance, is that not merely religion -- the idea that you, your ego, will live on?

Lady Vulpix
4th April 2012, 12:05 PM
You're welcome. :)

Rossymore
4th April 2012, 12:12 PM
Well I'm not looking forward to dying, but it better happen in a few decades, as I'm interested as to where the human race goes, as at the moment, there are a lot of goddamn possibilities.

Lady Vulpix
4th April 2012, 04:16 PM
One day about 13 years ago I realized that I had more than a few online friends, and wondered... if anything happened to me, would they ever find out? The distances make it hard to know about each other's lives outside the Internet. I figure if I did die unexpectedly (which I also hope doesn't happen), my local friends would find out pretty soon, but most of my online friends would only notice I'm not showing up online anymore. I honestly doubt my family would even think about going to the forums I frequent to let everyone know, even though my brother is a member of TPM.

Which also means that maybe one or more old TPMers have died and we never found out. I hope that's not the case, but is there any way to tell?

Magmar
4th April 2012, 04:31 PM
I completely agree, shaz, that the internet has made "falling out of contact" almost obsolete. Now you have to more-or-less consciously select who you break contact with, but if you know them through mutual acquaintances, they'll always be there on your news feed commenting away :rolleyes:

Lady Vulpix
4th April 2012, 04:34 PM
Magmar: then how come I've fallen out of contact with so many people I knew online? Say, do you have any idea what became of Christen, for example?

shazza
5th April 2012, 12:04 AM
I think the inability to fall out of contact due to Facebook's global presence is a 2008/2009+ phenomenon. Members that could only be reached via TPM's board have come and gone, but with websites becoming more interconnected -- more and more websites have the 'Share on Facebook' option -- then it will surely become generally harder to lose contact with both your real life friends that have gone their separate ways and friends made via the Internet.

Perhaps message boards such as these will soon make a greater attempt to intertwine it with Facebook et al.

P.S: Thank you very much for reviving my topic! I still think it's probably more relevant to Misc, but I'm easy. :)

MeLoVeGhOsTs
5th April 2012, 03:17 AM
I remember being pretty embarrassed about pokemon back in the days, so I don't think I'd be very comfortable with TPM showing up on my newsfeed or anything. Too much connection on the internet isn't good either. Take the example of spotify showing your playlist, or the articles you read on online-newspapers. Whilst it shows other people good articles or songs that they might like, it also gives away a bit of privacy.

Not that I'm complaining or anything, but this is far enough for me:D

Rossymore
5th April 2012, 08:46 AM
I would prefer if my love of Pokemon does not get out in public, as I will face unnecessary ridicule from my school 'friends' who once played the game when they were young and know nothing about the newer games, but they'll try to pretend otherwise.
It's just embarrassing for them and me. But that's the thing, if I died tomorrow, would anyone here notice? I have vanished a couple of times in the past, so it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary. I suppose I'll get a mention in a few months in some thread like this, but who knows?

ChobiChibi
5th April 2012, 09:18 AM
My bf knows about this place, and Crystal Tears, so I think he'd have the sensibility to tell her via my phone. He knows my passcode for my phone, and I don't log out from it either so...

This thought has crossed my mind a lot. Facebook is a glorious thing for sharing all sorts of news though, so I think people would find out one way or another.

Magmar
5th April 2012, 09:22 AM
My friends know about TPM, but I really have nothing to hide.

Asilynne
5th April 2012, 09:24 AM
If I died people would know...I've met too many TPMers and even without Facebook there would be Ben, Sarah, James, Cristy etc to let people know. Obviously I would like to live at least a little bit longer lol :)

kurai
5th April 2012, 10:02 AM
no one noticed when i died or questioned when i took my place

shazza
5th April 2012, 11:36 AM
Don't worry though guys, Ray Kurzweil is getting rid of death very soon!

RedStarWarrior
5th April 2012, 06:46 PM
I will ascend.

DarkestLight
5th April 2012, 07:17 PM
Im pretty sure that when I die (cause I accepted that death is just an evolution that one just ascends to) I'm gonna just be more awesome and stick around and haunt people and junk. If we are all energy then I'm keeping my energy in a disembodied form and taking over all sorts of other bodies.

FREEDOM! No more broken bones. No more not knowing other languages, no more nothing. I'd be one with everyone and be done with it.

Lady Vulpix
5th April 2012, 07:18 PM
Not everyone uses Facebook, and not everyone publishes what happens to their friends. And many people don't have friends in common on FB.

shazza
5th April 2012, 10:45 PM
Indeed, but they are increasingly becoming the outliers in an ever growing interdependent world.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th April 2012, 11:08 PM
Mikachu Yukitatsu in his deathbed to his friends: "Please... send a message to TPM about my death..."

Friends, after Mikachu has died: "What was he babbling in English about?"

Man, I would like to live forever. I have so much things to do, I never run out of pastime.

Blademaster
7th April 2012, 01:17 AM
I'm kind of eager to die, just to see what it's like. The whole not-coming-back part is kind of a deal-breaker, though.

homeofmew
10th April 2012, 02:15 PM
Shazza I love you so much I still post the Fortune Book Thread uh 11+ years after you Mod Approved it.

- homeofmew