PDA

View Full Version : Prevent a Meteor with Pokemon

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th April 2012, 05:34 AM
OK, this could be in FanFic but I have three reasons to post it here.

1) This is not for a FanFic, it's just a background story for something you'll soon see.
2) General Discussion deserves more topics.
3) GD gets lots of different readers interested in Pokemon, I think the selection is wider than in FanFic.

And then to the point.

Imagine that scientists have been able to spot a big meteor heading towards our planet. If Pokemon were real, could the impact be prevented or perhaps at least softened with them? How.

You can consider different possibilities. One possibility is that the meteor is noticed soon enough and we have time to issue a plan and affect it before it even reaches the atmosphere. Another possibility is that getting through the atmosphere couldn't be prevented but the impact spot could be detected. If it were to hit ocean, how to deal with tsunami? If it were to hit land, could the impact be softened or perhaps the meteor itself be destroyed in a close encounter?

What Pokemon, what abilities and what attacks would you use to save us?

I'm especially interested in softening the impact with Pokemon, since it would bring some intensity to the story I want but why not the other options, they are interesting, too?

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
16th April 2012, 10:26 AM
I could imagine any Pokémon able to use Hyperbeam which would be a wide-range attack. If a few dozen of these Pokémon would band together and fire their beams at the same time on the meteor I could imagine it would obliterate it.

Another possibility is a Pokémon capable of travelling as high up into the sky as possible, like Rayquaza, and bounce it back into space with an attack like Giga Impact.

Jeff
16th April 2012, 02:33 PM
The Armageddon method: Drill into the center of it, drop a bunch of Electrodes in and have them all use Explosion.:P

Rossymore
16th April 2012, 03:15 PM
Both of those strategies would cause the meteor to explode, which may still be really dangerous to the planet. I put forward the motion for lots of Pokemon to use Protect and push the meteor back, maybe even make another moon, though that could also be a bad idea.
Then again, using Hyper Beam to destroy a meteor happened at the end of PMD1 and no one died horribly. That we know of.

Blademaster
16th April 2012, 10:02 PM
Are we allowed to use Legendary Pokemon? If so, Dialga and Palkia could easily wipe out the threat by relocating the meteor 64.98 million years into the past, thus saving the world as well as creating a stable time loop.

If Legendaries aren't an option (too rare, don't bother us), then it's harder to say without knowing the size or speed of the object in question. A ludicrously-sized object like Dottie the Armageddon asteroid stated to be as big as Texas could be damn-near impossible to stop, but the Cretaceous dinosaur killer was 6 miles wide; much smaller and easier to divert the course of or destroy.

DarkestLight
16th April 2012, 10:21 PM
Or...you know..just pull a DBZ Goku with it and something you didn't like that could Teleport..like Abra. Teleport to some other place, meteor go bye bye :/

Blademaster
16th April 2012, 10:30 PM
A single Pokemon can't teleport a fucking billion billion tons of stone. Even if a group of them could, there's the little issue of getting them in direct contact with the asteroid.

DarkestLight
16th April 2012, 11:03 PM
>.> And Goku couldn't teleport Cell becasue he was full of enough energy to destroy a planet :/ I fail to see the logic in anime argument.

DarkestLight
16th April 2012, 11:04 PM
And I did say something you didn't like. I dun care if they came back XD

Telume
18th April 2012, 09:55 AM
Just have Magikarp use Splash! It always works!

Blademaster
18th April 2012, 06:37 PM
>.> And Goku couldn't teleport Cell becasue he was full of enough energy to destroy a planet :/ I fail to see the logic in anime argument.

Except Goku was one of the three strongest beings in the fucking Universe at the time, and he was moving something about 8 feet around. No single Pokemon has that kind of power. And I doubt even Goku could teleport something the size of a fucking ELE asteroid when he could easily Kamehameha it into space dust.

DarkestLight
18th April 2012, 11:06 PM
Mewtwo and Arceus laugh at your statement. Moreso Arceus.

Blademaster
21st April 2012, 05:15 PM
Mewtwo nearly got his ass killed by Giovanni's containment machine. Makes me wonder just how powerful he is when manmade machines can bring him to a grinding halt...

As for Arceus, taken from Bulbapedia:

Thousands of years ago in the past, when the world was threatened by a meteor, Arceus summoned all of its power and tackled the massive rock, destroying it. However, in the process Arceus lost the sixteen Plates that gave it life and began to die.

So Arceus can stop a meteor. And then die. Looks like we're both right, then.

DarkestLight
21st April 2012, 09:39 PM
Yes, yes we are XD

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd April 2012, 03:23 AM
He's the ultimate normal-pokemon, since he used Tackle. Awesome.

Blademaster
24th April 2012, 10:59 PM
Arceus only stopped that meteor because of STAB. Earth woulda been fucked if Arceus had been, say, a Fire or Bug type.

classy_cat18
25th April 2012, 12:25 AM
Mewtwo nearly got his ass killed by Giovanni's containment machine. Makes me wonder just how powerful he is when manmade machines can bring him to a grinding halt...

He was just that weak because the writers needed Ash to be the big hero.