PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Cars

Plantae
11th May 2012, 01:42 PM
Let's be frank. This place is a little slower than the old days, but still nice and cozy.

Insofar as the Role Playing Games Forum ever had a "golden age," it's passed. But a new one's still on the horizon. (And now there's a lot less nagging.)

This place used to be the stomping ground for so many people I miss. Now there's a few old friends, and others I'm eager to get to know.

I've been visiting this site periodically over the last who-knows-how-long, browsing the archives and old stories, and ultimately, hoping that some tiny portion of that old vitality might reappear. Thankfully, it has.

Mostly I remember the passion. I remember the chance to just imagine, to work out the thoughts in my head that I didn't have a place for, and to move from inspiration to creation and back again. Don't get me wrong. I've taken college level courses in Creative Writing and joined numerous writing clubs and organizations. But I have yet to experience a community that could replace the one that thrives here. So here's to coming back and giving it another go.

For some, participation in that community is ongoing. They've been carrying the torch. Thanks to all you folks who've kept this place alive.

I've been here long enough to hear countless discussions about "rules" and "guidelines" and "helpful changes" to this forum; I've contributed a few nonsensical suggestions of my own. Not less a few rants, including this one. Here's to not repeating that mistake in the future.

We never needed them really. All we needed was a few, eager people, who valued the unique form of art that exists in the form of a well-run, well-managed Role Playing Game. And we've certainly got that now.

That's a lot of sentimental rhetoric and very little action. Believe me, I know. But in the end, I have just one question I'd like to address.

Do you still love this place?

If your answer is yes, please respond here.

Edited for Truth

Shadow Wolf
11th May 2012, 03:43 PM
Well, if one thing was done for sure was that this topic caught my attention.

However, I think I'll say something I probably regret later, but it has been my sentiment for a while now.... Why are so many people focused on the old days? That's just like my 80 year neighbor speaks (back in my day... yada yada yada).

Do you want to bring the past back? I don't know how is that possible, really. The past is the past, it will never be the present. Do you want to improve the present? Then give ideas. But wait, some people will say that ideas have been given, right? Then I encourage you to persist and work on them. Why recommend an idea if you intend to just plan to lay back and let a miracle happen?

I'm a noob when compared to veteran members like Crystal Tears, Gavin Luper, Magmar, Blademaster and many others. But I can't help but feel discouraged every time I see people talking about "how wonderful TPM was in the past".

I know there was a lot of activity in the past, but there is also activity in the present. Why not work on the present instead of dwelling on the past?

Look at the new RPG's: Clash of The Scions, Final Fantasy, Pokemon: Rise of the Ghetsis, When the Flame goes Out, Kingdom Heartless. Post even once a day in any of these RPGs and I promise you that the activity will increase.

Look at some of the famous ones stil going: Light Illiminate, Starcfart: Infection, Dragonballl SU. And how about the RPG NaNoWirMo and the threads in the lounge. Clearly there has been activity. That sometimes we are busy with life and we can't post as often as before? True. That we choose RPG's according to our preferences? That's correct too. Or that we miss some old RPG's? Then why not bring them back. But get to work on it each day. Don't expect a place to explode in activity because you did a change on a single say. Work each day to make it happen.

Funny how you write this as a car thread since my one of my favorite cars is the Ford GT. The 1969 model is amazing, no dbout about that. But the 2005 model is also amazing. And what does a car like this have to do with anything? That TPM was wonderful in the past, but that doesn't mean that it sucks in the present. Do you wish to make it as great or better than in the past, then work on it.

And no, it is not my intention to flame or anything like that. I admire many members and I respect all of them, you included. But I feel disappointed every time I see people dwelling on the past instead of working on the present. I'm new to RPG and my activity in it is limited. Plus I have to admit that life has kept me away for quite a while. But I can't just dwell on the past and think that I had great ideas when I began RPing. I have to work here and now. Please, as a favor, work on the present. I beg of you.

Perfect Chaos
11th May 2012, 04:18 PM
I do indeed remember the old days of RPG, when JT, B4 and GingerCat used to mod here. Those were indeed some very glorious times.

But I agree with SW, the past is the past, we can't keep dwelling on it. If everyone was like that, where would game developers get ideas for new games? Everyone would just keep making the same thing over and over again, which would just make all video games become stale.

I have to admit, I also was part of those old glory days and also left RPG the same time the old guard did too. I've been meaning to come back to it ever since joining TPM again, but just haven't found that creative spirit/mood yet. Maybe it'll come back to me, maybe not but we should encourage others with new ideas that haven't been brought to life yet to help stimulate the overall masses and bring back RPG with new life.

Damn I sound like Russell Simmons now.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents concerning the matter.

ChobiChibi
11th May 2012, 05:43 PM
I really, really hate threads like this. Especially here, my home turf, my responsibility. So perhaps you'll understand that I find this thread a little offensive.

But first I'd like to thank you for not pointing fingers. I wholeheartedly agree that RPG is (obviously) a team game, so everything that happens within it is the responsibility of everybody who partakes, not just the mods.

I don't look back on the olden days quite as fondly as you. Yes, there were great stories, amazingly well thought out characters and plots, but there's a whole load of bitterness between certain people on the side that ruined certain aspects. That is something I feel we no longer have here, something I can say I'm proud of, because we're all adult enough to put our differences aside and just get on with it.

There lies another problem: we are adults. We all have little time to devote to RPG anymore. Seven years ago, when most of us were still in school, or some kind of compulsory education, we didn't have as much to worry about. We could skip homework to post, we didn't have so much responsibility, financially or otherwise.

I try really hard to encourage everybody. But what more can I reasonably do? How would pestering and punishing RPers for being busy with other things in their lives in any way encourage more activity?

No, I really don't miss the Golden Oldies. Mostly because I'm not really what you would call a veteran, because my spotlight only appeared within the last few years. I miss posts from the people here now. My friends, the people who I've become close to over the last few years, the people who truly care for me.

We've never stopped anyone form trying to do anything. Okay, we might say that we think an idea might not work, but we haven't exactly put our foot down and said no. Prove us wrong, by all means!

Personally, I prefer a slower paced forum, although not quite as slow as it is currently. I like reading posts that people have really put thought and effort into, not something they've scribbled together in a couple of hours tops. On average, I think it probably takes me about 3 days to actually finish a post. Not because I'm lazy, sometimes because I'm distracted, but mostly because I then have time to really think about what I'm writing. I'm not the best writer either, but I do try and do my best to entertain.

So, Plantae, go ahead and suggest something constructive, but other than perhaps drawing on some old RPGs for ideas, I personally do not strive for that old "Golden Age". No, I'd rather look forward and try and create a new one instead.

Samchu
11th May 2012, 06:29 PM
This needs to stop. All these rallying cries and want for better. This is the state of RPG now. It is small and it is slow but it is still our RPG and I believe we are doing the best we can with it. I remember the "old days" and yeah, a part of me misses them. A part of me misses the excitement of waking up in the morning and finding at least five new posts to read. That excitement got me into writing, got me to a degree in Creative Writing. But I do not miss the "golden" days. I don't miss a forum where noobies felt isolated, where people only posted one line. I like RPG now. I like knowing almost everyone who posts here and talking to them and coming up with new ideas, even if they struggle to make it into the forum. I like being able to log on and read a long, meaningful post which is detailed. Heck, I have lost sleep waiting for such posts.

So yes, the passion is still there. It's still there in all of us which is why we sit in mass chats and plot and encourage activity. There is no revival coming. There is no returning to the days of old. New members trickle in and we will do our best to retain them but RPG will never be as it was because we are not as we are. We are better, smarter, a little slower because of our commitments but our passion is still here. And that passion sits in every plot, every week-long post, every attempted idea.

To answer your question, Plantae. Yes, I do stop here, I stop here every day just to see if something is new. And whilst a part of me misses old RPG, I would never wish to have it back. I'm not a kid. Daily posting wouldn't work for me. If RPG became as it was I could never follow an rpg for more than a few days before getting caught behind. So many new posts to read, so much life to commit to; it would be impossible. So instead of lamenting, instead of chasing after a revival which will never come, this TPMer is gonna do what he has always done and just keep posting. Regardless of whether it takes a day, a week, or a month, regardless of whether the rpg lives or dies, because that's really all we can do. And as long as the rest of us do the same, well sir, I will be just happy with that.

Plantae
11th May 2012, 08:06 PM
You're right. You're all incredibly right. I'm sorry I posted this thread, which shows more than a little ignorance on my part. I wasn't attempting to level some sort of criticism at anyone here, don't get me wrong. All of you are much more committed than me, by far. I'm the one that reappeared out of the woodwork. Though I did hope, foolishly, that I could drag out a few more people with me.

I miss the way things were, but I certainly never thought that posting once here would bring those things back. I guess I was just pining for the people that used to be here, and who aren't anymore. The "old guard," as you said, is gone; but that doesn't mean RPG doesn't have a bright future. I see I would be mistaken to think there's no passion left here. If the responses to this thread are any measure, there's more than enough.

And that's great. I've been wanting to join in or start a new RPG here for some time; but from the outside, things seemed so slow that I feared there was no vim or vigor left in this place. I see now that I was wrong.

Asilynne
12th May 2012, 09:37 AM
Well, if one thing was done for sure was that this topic caught my attention.

However, I think I'll say something I probably regret later, but it has been my sentiment for a while now.... Why are so many people focused on the old days? That's just like my 80 year neighbor speaks (back in my day... yada yada yada).

Do you want to bring the past back? I don't know how is that possible, really. The past is the past, it will never be the present. Do you want to improve the present? Then give ideas. But wait, some people will say that ideas have been given, right? Then I encourage you to persist and work on them. Why recommend an idea if you intend to just plan to lay back and let a miracle happen?

I'm a noob when compared to veteran members like Crystal Tears, Gavin Luper, Magmar, Blademaster and many others. But I can't help but feel discouraged every time I see people talking about "how wonderful TPM was in the past".

I know there was a lot of activity in the past, but there is also activity in the present. Why not work on the present instead of dwelling on the past?

Look at the new RPG's: Clash of The Scions, Final Fantasy, Pokemon: Rise of the Ghetsis, When the Flame goes Out, Kingdom Heartless. Post even once a day in any of these RPGs and I promise you that the activity will increase.

Look at some of the famous ones stil going: Light Illiminate, Starcfart: Infection, Dragonballl SU. And how about the RPG NaNoWirMo and the threads in the lounge. Clearly there has been activity. That sometimes we are busy with life and we can't post as often as before? True. That we choose RPG's according to our preferences? That's correct too. Or that we miss some old RPG's? Then why not bring them back. But get to work on it each day. Don't expect a place to explode in activity because you did a change on a single say. Work each day to make it happen.

Funny how you write this as a car thread since my one of my favorite cars is the Ford GT. The 1969 model is amazing, no dbout about that. But the 2005 model is also amazing. And what does a car like this have to do with anything? That TPM was wonderful in the past, but that doesn't mean that it sucks in the present. Do you wish to make it as great or better than in the past, then work on it.

And no, it is not my intention to flame or anything like that. I admire many members and I respect all of them, you included. But I feel disappointed every time I see people dwelling on the past instead of working on the present. I'm new to RPG and my activity in it is limited. Plus I have to admit that life has kept me away for quite a while. But I can't just dwell on the past and think that I had great ideas when I began RPing. I have to work here and now. Please, as a favor, work on the present. I beg of you.
Damn....Louis, wise words *respect* :)

Cool to see you back Plantae! I for one have been one of the busy ones, my RL is a very full, busy one atm and it feels like everything has been demanding my attention with no one else to pawn the responsibility off on so I had to let the less important things slide for now (sorry RPG, my wedding and Ben's return have to take precedence! There would be something wrong with me if it didn't XD) But I haven't forgotten our little village on the web as Sie can attest to (she won't let me be anti social hehe). Somethings in the works if you are looking to join something new, I can't promise you when however. But its good to see that you now know that the sap runs deep in this old tree!

Weasel Overlord
12th May 2012, 11:41 AM
Yup, seconding all the people who say they come on here every day still! Although I went through a long period of not doing, since I wasn't in any RPGs. But now I am (two omg whut) and it's great :D and totally better than the livejournal-style of RPing, while I'm singing our praises and all that.

Wow I'm sure I had a point in here somewhere? I dunno. It was probably something about how working a full time job sort of sucks your time away, which I know a lot of our members have experience of these days (or two jobs in DL's case cos he's a headcase, but that's beside the point). You gotta prioritise your Evening Funtimes, and sometimes, RPG doesn't factor into things as much as it used to (like for example, how I'd rather spend time watching Castle these days than finishing that Kaz post I owe Bex ¬_¬) but I still think it's stupid to lament the "old days". Sorry, I ain't gonna sugarcoat it. I think it's stupid. I remember as a newbie to RPG it was SO hard to keep up with everything, cos it all moved so fast. I hated that style of doing things; what can I say, I don't deal well with being nagged into posting if the inspiration's not there.

And to be frank, when I modded this place, I honestly wanted to strangle every single person who brought up the "old days" with their own bloody hair. Suck it up, we're not the same as we used to be. It was inevitable, there's nothing we can do that will make it the same, short of gaining about 100 new RPers who are willing to make their own RPGs and whatnot. Ain't gonna happen. Like Bex said, I personally prefer the board like this. The atmosphere is a lot more relaxed (no nagging :D), and it doesn't feel like you're gonna be penalised for having an adult life (ugh I know, I can't believe I just said that, fml).

However, in other news: PLANTAE YOU'RE BACK, ARE YOU BACK?! *embraces* After all that ramble up there of mine about not missing the "old days", I sure as hell sound like a hypocrite now that I'm gonna proclaim how much I do miss the old crew. Ah Plantae, how I do miss distressing and sickening you. (in other, weirder news: I'm sure Facebook put you in my "people you might know" list the other week, Plantie-pie. It was weird.)

Plantae
13th May 2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks, Asilynne; I'll certainly keep an eye out for anything new. And an apology, too, for never getting around to posting in Light Illuminate! I feel like a bit of a hypocrite, but I realize that I'm pretty busy too these days. Juggling prerequisites for Pre-Medicine isn't easy, I guess. I shouldn't give a rallying cry for daily posting when I definitely can't keep up with that pace, ha.

And Wurzel! I'm back, yes! And prepared to be distressed and sickened numerous times over. Is Vulpix.ck87 still around here somewhere too? What good times! But yeah, I suppose I'd forgotten about all the nagging there was in the "old days;" if there's less of that, count me in for this new RPG experience!

Weasel Overlord
14th May 2012, 12:30 PM
Well, last I heard from Vulpix she went to Japan to teach English but that was like... April last year? I'm pretty sure she never comes here any more, that I can say.

You should check out some of the active RPGs at the moment if you're wanting to join something new. Hopefully Pokemon will get moving a little bit more, and Sie's Final Fantasy is awesome :D (I can only attest for those two cos they're the ones I'm in ahah)

Plantae
14th May 2012, 01:01 PM
Wow, glad to hear Carkle's off doing something so spectacular. You'll have to let me know if you hear from her again anytime soon.

Final Fantasy's not really my bag, but I've already cooked up a sign-up for Rise of Ghetsis. I'm planning to post it a little later.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
27th May 2012, 03:24 AM
I don't know what a car post or topic or whatever is but HELLO PLANTAE