PDA

View Full Version : E3 2012

Jeff
2nd June 2012, 06:10 PM
So it seems Nintendo is wasting no time in kicking off this year's E3. They'll be making their first announcements this year via a Nintendo Direct broadcast tomorrow night, and it'll be focusing on the Wii U, with the rumor mill claiming that it'll be the final hardware unveiling. Sony and MS will be presenting Monday, and Nintendo on Tuesday, then Nintendo will be holding yet another event on Wednesday, just for software. So it's looking to be a busy year, especially for Nintendo.

So, E3 2012 is kicking off in less than 24 hours. Let the hype begin!

So, predictions? Looking-forward-tos? Hopes? Dreams?

Telume
3rd June 2012, 02:10 PM
I want to see what they're going to do with the new console, personally.

I'm not holding out hope 'cause I don't want to set my expectations too high.

Blademaster
4th June 2012, 10:06 PM
I'm honestly a bit upset that we've passed this by. I remember E3 2009 when we were all hooting and hollering over the Nintendo conference. Nintendo hasn't happened yet, but everyone else had their turn today and nobody was here to post about it? :(

classy_cat18
4th June 2012, 10:56 PM
That's because all we're going to do about Microsoft is RANT. The same thing we did about them for the third year in a row.

Sony was better. That children's book thing looks interesting; the kiddies need something good to play. The Last of Us was probably the highlight of that conference.

I won't have much to say until after the Nintendo conference.

Jeff
5th June 2012, 05:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/luigidude/96Sgs.gif

DarkestLight
5th June 2012, 07:54 PM
Pikmin 3 is going to be the shiznit. I didn't even dare watch Microsoft crap.

ZombieU is fantastical and OMFG RE6 WEEZY ALREADY KNOWS!

Jeff
5th June 2012, 08:18 PM
Oh what's this now...

http://cdn.nintendo3dsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/New-Super-Mario-Bros.-3.jpg

REZNOR!

I really hope the SMW throwbacks don't end there!

Crystal Tears
5th June 2012, 10:51 PM
I watched a part of Microsoft’s and listened to my friend talk about Sony. I have absolutely no interest in Nintendo to be honest – I haven’t touched one of their systems (handheld or console) in at least two years.

I was actually excited for one title Microsoft had, which was HALO 4 – but I’ve enjoyed the HALO franchise. If you’re not into it or got tired of it, then it really does just look like another HALO game. To me though, the upgrade to graphics and them bringing in a new opponent who isn’t the god damn fucking flood is a godsend. I couldn’t give a ratass about Call of Duty though. Lol, and I didn’t really note the rest of Microsofts crap being interesting.

As for Sony… Medal of Honor interested me; I used to play that series… What else? Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us both interested me a great deal – until I discovered Ellen Paige is in both of them (though I knew about her in The Last of Us beforehand). Urgh. I hate that woman, her acting pisses me off.

The game that interested me the most?

TOMB RAIDER – I want that game, holy hell. So excited for it. But it wasn’t distinctly Xbox, PC or Sony – it was all of them I think but priority with Xbox…? CANNOT RECALL.

Blademaster
6th June 2012, 09:40 PM
I MISSED NINTENDO'S CONFERENCE.

FUCK'S SAKE.

Roy Karrde
6th June 2012, 10:01 PM
I MISSED NINTENDO'S CONFERENCE.

FUCK'S SAKE.

You really missed nothing.

And really I am surprised no one is talking about one of the best games of the show! Watch Dogs!

classy_cat18
6th June 2012, 11:56 PM
You honestly like Watch Dogs more than The Last of Us? Tsk tsk.

Samchu
7th June 2012, 12:34 AM
Let's be honest, Ubisoft were the sly winners of the press conference run whereas EA managed to make themselves look like even bigger c*cks than before. Seriously, who thought "It used to be that the game you bought, was the game you got" was what a gaming community sick to death of DLC wanted to hear.

All I really remember from the conference was:
Microsoft - Tomb Raider, SOUTH PAAAAAAARK
Ubisoft - Well we have this and that, nothing really that good, oh but we have been working on this game called Watch Dogs which might just be the coolest thing ever. You know, just putting that out there.
EA - We got shooters, sports, drivers, DLC. We know you bi*ches are lying and just want more and more DLC.
Sony - We got some awesome games coming out, things like Beyond and The Last of Us but what you REALLY need to get excited about is the Vita. Yeah play the Vita. There's totally gonna be some good stuff on it. Eventually. Meanwhile, play Assassin's Creed as a woman.
Nintendo - Well here's the Wii U. We still haven't decided who to market it to so here's some stuff for kids, some stuff for families and some stuff for hardcore gamers. We got some zombies and a revamped Arkham City. It's pretty awesome hardcore stuff but we have to remember that we're for families too.

And of course, "My body is ready!"

Roy Karrde
7th June 2012, 05:11 PM
You know I absolutely love The Last of Us, something Classy can attest as I was drooling all over the TV during the conference while she was trying to watch it. But I expect awesomeness from Naughty Dog, after Uncharted they could shit golden bricks. But Watch Dogs reallllly took me by surprise.

Edit: Crystal Tears, The Last of Us isn't played by Ellen Paige, it is played by Ashley Johnson for Ellie, the character just looks like a very young Ellen Paige.

Blademaster
7th June 2012, 07:52 PM
So, usually I watch E3 with /v/ because of all the snarky asshole comments in the threads and the stream chatrooms, and they often have games like 'E3 Bingo' and 'Grade E3.' Anybody feel like giving the latter a quick try? I don't have the card template, but we can still list the grades, right?

Nintendo: B (GAMES EVERYWHERE, but they're really hard-pressed to beat E3 2010. Also Shiggy goofing off on-stage got awkward at the end.)
Ubisoft: B- (Nintendo bias aside, these guys had the best showcase... even though I missed it.)
Sony: C (Not as good as Nintendo, not nearly as horrible as Microsoft. Last of Us got me intrigued. Sony Smash Bros. had me half-laughing and half-pissing blood.)
Konami: C- (Mostly disappointing, but the Castlevania announcements made me happy. Especially the 3DS Metroidvania.)
EA: D- (TORTANIC DAMAGE CONTROL AND DLC, ALL DAY ERRE DAY. On the other hand, new Dead Space...?)
Microsoft: F (Xbox360 has nogeams)
Trey Parker and Matt Stone roasting Microsoft's E3 presentation while AT said presentation: A+

Crystal Tears
8th June 2012, 12:07 PM
Edit: Crystal Tears, The Last of Us isn't played by Ellen Paige, it is played by Ashley Johnson for Ellie, the character just looks like a very young Ellen Paige.

That makes it slightly better, I'll probably get it then.

I forgot about Watch Dogs, it reminded me a lot of that new show that's on: Person of Interest. I'll probably get it, I wanna cause some accidents by taking out street lights. >D

I'll rate those that I know about.

Ubisoft: B-
Sony: C+/B-
Microsoft: D
EA: F

Jeff
8th June 2012, 03:36 PM
Nintendo: B+
Plenty of new details on already announced games, and third party support is looking good, but the fact that the only new first-party game announced was the mini-game collection Nintendo Land keeps them out of the A range. Having a separate conference for 3DS was a good idea, and I'll give them a B+ for that and for letting the fans hear what we've been wanting to hear, support for two Gamepads.

Ubisoft: B-
E3 is about games? Who knew? Oh wait, Ubisoft did. The conference got dull at points, maybe it's because I'm used to watching Nintendo's conference, but the demos were just someone playing the game and nobody explaining what's going on. Nintendo has always had commentary with their demos. I'm not sure what's standard practice, so it's hard to say if that was a fault to them, or a plus for Nintendo. Also, "girl wood", really? Just... no.

Sony: C
From what I've heard of them, this sounds about right. At least they've had a decent amount of games people care about.

Microsoft: F
No. Bad Microsoft, bad. When will you learn? E3 is about games. And not just any games, games that those who watch E3 care about, so no, Kinect doesn't count. And their big announcement is being able to use a tablet as a second screen? That just sounds cumbersome. Having the second screen built into the controller is the way to go.

Jeff
9th June 2012, 08:09 PM
Oh what's this now...

http://cdn.nintendo3dsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/New-Super-Mario-Bros.-3.jpg

REZNOR!

I really hope the SMW throwbacks don't end there!

Oh, they don't, Jeff from 4 days ago.

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/d/d8/3DS_NewMario2_3_scrn11_E3.png

Yep, it's Roy Koopa, and look at the walls, doesn't it look like they might move inward?

JQCP85FngzE

In all seriousness though, all these references in both new Mario games are great and all, but I'm afraid Nintendo is missing the point of what made Super Mario World such a great game. It was the non-linearity of the map. Back then secrets would lead down completely different paths, and those paths would lead you to several otherwise hidden levels, give you a glimpse of a future world, or even let you skip a castle. There were even two hidden worlds in the game. Finding hidden exits back then was just so much more rewarding that it is now. Now most hidden exits just lead you to a toad house or warp cannon, and if you're lucky, one hidden level.

DarkestLight
9th June 2012, 10:20 PM
Im sorry...did you just say two hidden worlds? The hell are you talking about. I played SMW til my thumbs bled and got that coveted 96% >.>

Drago
9th June 2012, 11:27 PM
Im sorry...did you just say two hidden worlds? The hell are you talking about. I played SMW til my thumbs bled and got that coveted 96% >.>
Star Road and beyond, I'm guessing? I'd be excited if they gave levels names like 'Funky' and 'Tubular' again.

Blademaster
10th June 2012, 02:00 AM
Star Road and Special Zone.

They're 2 different worlds. Just because one leads into the next doesn't mean they're inherently connected as a single world.

DarkestLight
11th June 2012, 07:03 PM
Well, I guess so then. Which was the 5th world-because THAT was my favorite of the 8. It was like Gnarly or some thing ....

Blademaster
11th June 2012, 08:40 PM
Level 1: Gnarly (the vertical level full of vines and spring platforms)
Level 2: Tubular (the P-Balloon level with no floor that broke many of our SNES controllers)
Level 3: Way Cool (the expansive, almost mazelike level filled with lifts on tracks and ON/OFF blocks)
Level 4: Awesome (the Koopa-filled level with slippery ice-covered ground and multiple Banzai Bills near the end)
Level 5: Groovy (the level shown in the opening demo of SMW that I'm sure we all tried to emulate once or twice)
Level 6: Mondo (the level with rising/falling water and multiple Amazing Flyin' Hammer Bros.)
Level 7: Outrageous (the forest-themed level filled with Bill Blasters and hopping flames)
Level 8: Funky (the level with multiple Sumo Bros. and the game's shortest clock, at 200 seconds)

...Yeah. I played Super Mario World a LOT as a kid. And teen. And adult.