PDA

View Full Version : So like....

Telume
21st June 2012, 05:55 PM
I totally graduated... haven't gotten that piece of paper yet (why it takes 2 months to stuff a piece of paper in an envelope and mail it out, I'll never know.) but, I found out from my advisor after taking care of some financial aid stuff that, I apparently graduated with honors (summa cum laude? ((sic))?).

Oooookay, I'll take it!

ChobiChibi
21st June 2012, 06:10 PM
YAY! Congrats! :D

2 months is not a long time. I didn't officially graduate until 6 months after we'd got all our marks back >_>

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd June 2012, 12:02 AM
Congratulations Telume!

I don't know that much about graduating, but, still!

Telume
22nd June 2012, 07:30 AM
It's nothing big Mika, it's just this gigantic ceremony where they give you a fake piece of paper that represents your diploma. And your parents get to watch you and blah blah blah and then finally, you get your diploma after who knows how long.

It looks something like this:

http://4cherrylimos.com/img/graduation.jpg

Magmar
22nd June 2012, 08:46 AM
You better take summa cum laude, that means 3.85+ GPA! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd June 2012, 09:10 AM
Hey but, I HAVE passed the Finnish matriculation examination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abitur)! Back in 2004.

I got:

Finnish language and literature: Cum Laude
Reaali: Magna Cum Laude (I answered to Physics and History)
B-Swedish language: Magna Cum Laude
C-French language: Magna Cum Laude
A-English language: Eximia Cum Laude
Advanced Mathematics: Eximia Cum Laude

Also, everyone graduating this year, you must READ THIS (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25057), if you haven't already.

Magmar
22nd June 2012, 09:22 AM
Oh wow! Your system seems much more comprehensive. Here, there really is no cumulative knowledge exam at the end of secondary education... we do take an exam called the SAT (read: S.A.T., not "sat") and it tests English, Math and Writing. According to your system I scored "laudutur"? I scored 98th percentile. I also scored 99th percentile on the ASVAB (read: az-vab), earning a perfect score and ENDLESS letters from the Military. I still get them.

To get into grad school I had to take the GMAT (read: G-Matt) but didn't score quite so well ^_^;;; I still got into graduate school though, but I'm going to have to retake it this year if I'm planning on getting into Harvard, regardless of my "summa cum laude" status in coursework :P

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd June 2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah, in Finland, students normally decentralize (not sure if this is the right word) the examination into two parts, they take Swedish in autumn and the rest of the deal in spring.

I myself took everything in spring. When my classmates were answering to Swedish language in September 2003, I was translating the preview of the Pokemon episode where Misty returned for a while (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5047) from Japanese to English for TPM :D

Lady Vulpix
22nd June 2012, 11:32 AM
Congratulations! :D

The honors part does not surprise me, but it's something to be proud of. :)

What are you going to do now?

Bear
22nd June 2012, 02:06 PM
Summa Cum Laude looks good on a resume because that's highest honors. Make sure you include that!

Blademaster
22nd June 2012, 10:09 PM
Telume is the next Stephen Hawking?

I'd congratulate you, but let's be honest: Who DIDN'T see the tech guy being a genius? Just remember TPM when you start getting 7-, 8-, and 9-digit grants, hint hint. :)

Crystalmaster Mike
24th June 2012, 02:36 AM
I think it took several months before I officially got my diploma after graduating from college.
I literally started to work the 1st of the month after finishing the year, so I had like, between 2-10 days of summer vacation that year. :D

I was one of the lucky two to finish with the highest score that year, but I'll have to do the translation to the correct "cum laude" term some other time.

In any case, congratulations!

Jay
24th June 2012, 06:28 AM
I was one of the lucky two to finish with the highest score that year, but I'll have to do the translation to the correct "cum laude" term some other time.
And here I thought that was just some fancy term for premature ejaculation!

Gavin Luper
24th June 2012, 10:04 AM
I totally graduated... haven't gotten that piece of paper yet (why it takes 2 months to stuff a piece of paper in an envelope and mail it out, I'll never know.) but, I found out from my advisor after taking care of some financial aid stuff that, I apparently graduated with honors (summa cum laude? ((sic))?).

Oooookay, I'll take it!

Congrats on graduating mate, that's awesome.

I can take a stab at the possibility that there is a grand total of two people working on the graduation matters and that's why it takes so long for the diploma to come through. I could be completely wrong, but that wouldn't surprise me.

Lady Vulpix
24th June 2012, 06:27 PM
You're lucky it takes only 2 months for you. It took a whole year for me!

Becky
24th June 2012, 07:11 PM
Telume, congrats! You may have said this before, but what was your degree in?

Telume
27th June 2012, 08:10 AM
It was an A.S. in Internet Services Technology.

Going for an A.A. now because I do intend to transfer to major in Information Technology.

(It was surprisingly easy to get all of that straightened out. :x

Katie
2nd July 2012, 09:46 PM
I took my last final on a Wednesday and got my diploma on Saturday morning when I walked. What's up with yalls inefficient schools?

MToolen
3rd July 2012, 07:57 AM
I'll finish my last classes in about three weeks, walk the week after that (B.M. in Education) with an empty diploma case. The diploma gets mailed in 10-12 weeks.

The important part for me, though, is the teacher's certificate; the education department here has to recognize I've graduated and send stuff off to the state. At the same time, I have to send a transcript with my degree on it to the state. The state then says I can apply for my certificate, which costs money, as well as registering said certificate, which also costs money. The state then processes it, which takes yet more time. I could have it in September, but it could be December instead.

Still, congrats Telume and Katie. May you change the world you live in for the better.

Telume
3rd July 2012, 02:38 PM
I have gotten the diploma! :D

And I see a smexy Honors seal on it!

Edit: Apologies if its a bit blurry, my webcam needs to be cleaned.

Magmar
3rd July 2012, 04:07 PM
Hooray! Congrats on graduating!!!

My advice, and this just might be the difference between quick and eventual employment: Use your alumni office, find businesses you like with alumni from your school in leadership roles, and reach out to the network. Just do it! Find principals, HR people, deans, whoever could put your resume on the top of the pile. There are people at every school being paid big bucks to identify, contact and schmooze these alumni to solicit donations. Just ask, or research on your own. My friends have been using my tip to get real jobs with amazing results :) and I rarely buy into pop job search trends.

I'm also happy to review any resumes. I get paid to do this :D free service to TPM! If you feel sketched out about that you can either omit personally identifying information or just send it to your alma mater's career development center/department.

DO IT.
<3 Magmar

Telume
3rd July 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the offer, if I need it I'll ring you up! I believe I also have your cell number so I could text you.

Blademaster
3rd July 2012, 08:27 PM
Wow, TPM is really becoming interconnected nowadays...

Telume
4th July 2012, 11:32 AM
You're surprised?

Katie
4th July 2012, 11:42 AM
Still, congrats Telume and Katie. May you change the world you live in for the better.

Well I work in oil&gas, so I'm sure I'm changing the world in some fashion or another...

Perfect Chaos
4th July 2012, 11:46 AM
Eh? You graduated from Miami Dade College? That's like right next to where I live! :lookout:

Telume
4th July 2012, 05:31 PM
Which campus?

Perfect Chaos
4th July 2012, 08:04 PM
Well I'm not going to any college in Florida right now, I'm currently in India. But I actually live in Miramar, which is just right on the border of Broward and Dad county. Really small world after all :o

MToolen
5th August 2012, 09:30 PM
HEY I JUST MET YOU
AND THIS IS CRAZY
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/553638_4283165279390_547733095_n.jpg
BUT I JUST GRADUATED
SO I NECRO'D THE TOPIC

That's Mrs. MToolen, by the way.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th August 2012, 11:02 PM
Congratulations MToolen!

You are a neat couple.

Blademaster
6th August 2012, 06:43 PM
MToolen you look like a cross between Jon Heder and Christopher Poole, AKA 'moot,' the creator of 4...chan...

...Wait a second...

MToolen

MToolen

MooTlen

OH GOD. 8O

Telume
12th August 2012, 05:10 AM
Well I'm not going to any college in Florida right now, I'm currently in India. But I actually live in Miramar, which is just right on the border of Broward and Dad county. Really small world after all :o

I live right by the new Marlin's Stadium. :B

And yes, it is a small world

(And I totally necro'd the topic too!)