PDA

View Full Version : Most fun Pokemon/Moveset

Drago
29th June 2012, 03:16 AM
I think this kind of thread has been done before, but meh.

Sometimes a Pokemon or their moveset is so specifically constructed that it can be really frustrating to fight against, and as a result, really fun to use! Have you had any favorites?

My first example of this was the beloved Trapbat from GSC: a Crobat with Toxic/Fly/Confuse Ray/Mean Look. There's something really delightful about completely flustering and dismantling a Pokemon without actually inflicting much direct damage. Of course, it was boned if the opponent had a Thunderbolt or similar, but against unprepared enemies, it was massively effective and cheap.

Magmar
29th June 2012, 07:24 AM
actually this is better

Slowbro with Surf, Amnesia, Psychic, Body Slam.

It's like... plz die <3

ChobiChibi
29th June 2012, 08:18 AM
Take Body Slam out, pick a special attack move and I'd agree. Except I'm EV training a Slowpoke right now to be a Slowking, thinking of putting Flamethrower on it for shiggles XP

The world's best Umbreon: Toxic, Confuse Ray, Faint Attack, Moonlight. With high HP and Defence, you can't go wrong. In colosseum, mine was annoying everything whilst taking hits from its Tyranitar team mate XD

And yes, I hate Crobat.

Greyfox
29th June 2012, 01:33 PM
The world's best Umbreon: Toxic, Confuse Ray, Faint Attack, Moonlight. With high HP and Defence, you can't go wrong. In colosseum, mine was annoying everything whilst taking hits from its Tyranitar team mate XD

I had that Umbreon! Kinda... well, I subbed Confuse Ray for Curse and Faint Attack for Shadow Ball so that, over time, he'd get stronger and stronger while the poison drained away their first pogey's health. And then he was able to sweep afterwards.

Although, lack of Mean Look kinda killed the strategy for non-AI battles.

Lady Vulpix
29th June 2012, 02:47 PM
I have many movesets I enjoy(ed) using. It would be great if Pokemon could remember more than 4 moves, though. Some fun movesets I'm using right now:

Butterfree:
-Bug Buzz
-Quiver Dance
-Sleep Powder
-Roost
Comment: this Butterfree performs better the longer the battle lasts, and his Tinted Lens ability ensures that his Bug Buzz will do decent damage against most opponents.

Serperior (the one I got from Brandy):
-Leech Seed
-Leaf Blade
-Return
-Coil

Altaria:
-Toxic
-Dragon Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Roost

Snorlax:
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Protect
-Last Resort

Ninetales:
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-Wisp
-Solarbeam (Drought allows instant charging)
-Psyshock

And from my main team whom I finished training some time ago...

Lilligant
-Sleep Powder
-Petal Dance
-Giga Drain
-Dream Eater

Carracosta
-Surf
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Blizzard

Togekiss:
-Extremespeed
-Aura Sphere
-Air Slash
-Shadow Ball

Gyarados:
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall

Unfezant:
-Fly
-Roost
-Feather Dance
-Return (power of love! ;))

Krookodile:
-Toxic
-Outrage
-Dig
-Crunch

And I have to admit my main team's Ninetales is also rather fun to use:
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-Wisp
-Dig
-Extrasensory

So... that's my list of fun movesets from Pokemon Black. :)

I have a Crobat who beats just about everything with Acrobatics, but that's not quite as fun as using strategy.

Jeff
29th June 2012, 03:56 PM
Gyarados:
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall

I use the same set on Gyarados! I beat so many Electric types in the Gen 4 Battle Tower/Frontier with a similar/the same set.;) I used Aqua Tail over Waterfall in Diamond for the extra power, but used Waterfall on my Red Gyarados in SoulSilver for the reliability.

Hmm, let's see. Some of my other favorites:

Electivire@Expert belt
-Thunder Punch
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake

The Gyarados above was my lead pokemon in Diamond, so this set helped cover its most glaring weakness. Dragon Dance often gave Gyarados the speed and power to take out Electric types with a single Earthquake, but if my opponent sent out an Electric type first, Gyarados would have trouble outrunning it on the first turn with its unboosted speed. In that case (or any other instance when I didn't think Gyarados could pack enough punch to take out an Electric type), I'd switch out to this guy. He'd absorb the Electric attack, get the free speed boost, proceed to take out the opponent with Earthquake, then see how far he could get with the rest of the team using Earthquake and the elemental punches. This set often had a super effective answer to the opponent's type, so Expert belt helped give all those super effective moves an extra sting. I actually saw a set like this online that replaced Fire Punch with Cross Chop, but I prefer Fire Punch for in-game, for one little reason: Shedinja. Sheddy's not really a threat in competitive battling, but can be a real annoyance if you're not ready for it in-game.

Starmie
-Surf
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

The same set I've used since Gen 1 and still pretty effective. Sometimes I throw in Ice Beam to mix it up a little.

Blademaster
30th June 2012, 05:12 PM
The one Pokemon that I can think of off-hand that never steered me wrong was my Espeon in Pokemon Gold. Following the Prima guide's advice, I held off until my Eevee learned Bite before evolving it. Espeon with Bite, Psychic, Return, and Morning Sun (I think that's the healing move Espeon gets.)... That little guy utterly RAPED the first three members of the Elite Four almost single-handedly.

Rossymore
30th June 2012, 08:07 PM
Agreed. Currently using Espeon in Black 2 and I can always rely on it to put a huge dent in the opposing side.

Lady Vulpix
30th June 2012, 08:45 PM
Starmie
-Surf
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Recover
Heh. Funny, Shonta traded me a Staryu and I gave it that same moveset. GMTA. :D

mattbcl
30th June 2012, 09:17 PM
My friend Cody constantly bragged about how his Mewtwo, initially traded from his Fire Red game, was invincible, had never lost a match in its existence. To its credit, he'd given it a moveset that certainly helped to back up his claims (Shadow Ball, Psychic, Aura Sphere, and Energy Ball), geared specifically toward dealing SpATK damage while taking down opposing SpDEF.

So I went to work building a Metagross that could pose a challenge - its Clear Body ability prevents it from taking stat damage from opposing moves, and it gets absurdly high SpDEF. Unfortunately, it doesn't get a very good array of Dark-Type moves, so I relied on STAB, and built it to be a very slow creature that could take hits. This is what I put together:

Held Item: Wide Lens
-Psychic
-Meteor Mash
-Hammer Arm
-Gyro Ball

I challenged Cody to a 1-on-1 match against his Mewtwo, and though Metagross consistently took the second turn each round, it only took 3 rounds to do what I built him to do. Mewtwo went down before Metagross had even lost half his HP. Very proud.

It wasn't long before Cody challenged me to a rematch, which I knew would happen. I swapped Gyro Ball for Magnet Rise and used that move first chance I got, because I knew the only move Mewtwo had access to which could deal 2x damage to Metagross was Earthquake. Sure enough, that's what he tried using - missed completely, and I took the match again.

Chris 2.1
1st July 2012, 08:27 AM
Playing Black, I fell in love with Whimsicott due to its ability, Prankster, which gives +1 priority to moves. I gave her a set designed to irritate; leech seed and toxic, as well as giga drain and hurricane. She set up the first two and, if she'd suffered, giga drains helped her recover, while hurricane's 120 power was always handy. And she grew fast, having been gained in a trade.

I also found raising a Psyduck in G/S quite fun; I bred psychic and ice punch onto him and he was a really good Pokemon to have on my team.

Lady Vulpix
1st July 2012, 10:17 AM
Chris: that's what I would have done with my Cottonee, had he not had such an awful nature. As it is, I'm keeping him as a catcher. I may catch a new one at some point and train him/her to be effective in battles.

Matt: nice job! :yes: