PDA

View Full Version : The EuroCrisis

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th July 2012, 04:47 AM
Hi everyone! I'm quite sure even those who live in America or Australia hear news about the financial crisis that has hit the EU almost on a daily basics. So could we TPMers give it a shot and figure out what this is all about and perhaps even solve the problem?

From what I know, once so united Europe seems to be splitting in half, or even in smaller parts. Many people accuse Greece about lies conserving their financial situation, and Spain and Italy are in a big trouble too. Several elections have taken place, but not even the new Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti, aka 'Super Mario', doesn't live up to his name so the questionably-reputated Silvio Berlusconi is running back to his old position.

But it may seem childish to think the only problem with EU are the southern countries. Some have seriously suggested that Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece won't be the first countries to resign from the Eurozone since they have grown so dependent. Country names like Germany and Finland pop up. Opposition parties have taken the advantage of the governments' support package politics and are strongly driving the mass against the EU.

Funnily enough, the only one representing Finland here at TPM as of now, is me, whose opinion should therefore indicate the percentage majority of my fellow Finns, but it wasn't I who voted the Euro-depending Sauli Niinistö to President. Paavo Väyrynen, my candidate on the contrary, suggested the good old Finnish Markka to be taken back as a currency adjacent to Euro. But many say his plan would be doomed to fail and there is no return.

Discuss. I want this thread be better than the U.S. Presidential Election thread!

Leon-IH
14th July 2012, 05:20 AM
How to avoid the problem Spain has right now: don't allow thousands of unskilled migrants into your country to help provide labor for a construction boom, that boom will end and then unemployment will rape your economy.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
14th July 2012, 10:52 AM
I think this is the first thread on TPM where Belgium was ever mentioned.

All my prayers have been answered! No wait, I still haven't seen Chobi naked..

Anyway, enough spam for this thread *poof*

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th July 2012, 12:18 PM
Sauli Niinistö has said today that ECB will eventually print more money (http://yle.fi/uutiset/niiniston_ennuste_ekp_painaa_lisaa_rahaa/6217877) like banks have done in the United States. This will of course lead to inflation, and won't surely be a mild way to solution, but it's the only one we have. He doesn't believe in my country resigning from the Eurozone although a majority of Finns actually think the EU won't last soon according to a recent poll. So I'm not alone. But perhaps they voted for Niinistö because he seemed to have a rather realistic point of view unlike Paavo Väyrynen.

Niinistö says the collateral security several Finnish politicians have demanded isn't a bad idea and the other countries 'understand Finland's particular position' for

1) Finland has acted according to what has been agreed
2) The Finnish financial institutions haven't directly been the sources of these great lendings
3) There's a legend about rich north and poor south

I don't really agree with him, the first point sounds biased, the second too complex to comprehend and the third is simply weird.

Our Financial Minister Jutta Urpilainen, who on a lighter note is a woman to my taste XD has also been made into a laughing stock among the press because she uttered in an interview something about Finland resigning from the Eurozone and both the media and she herself have had to patch this.

Hoping this isn't turning out only a one-sided Finland monologue, is it just me or are the oppostion parties getting cheap votes everywhere across the Europe? It's their job to protest the Eurozone-content leading parties but now a politician just has to say 'we aren't giving our money to Greece' and he gets into the Parliament in a Jytky (Timo Soini, the leader of our main opposing party used that Finnish word for a big fish) of votes. In the most arrogant scenarios this is getting dangerously close to what our continent saw in the 1930s when extreme factions gained too much power because of the unstable economical situation.