PDA

View Full Version : Computer game violence at E3: An excessive amount of, but still not enough

Brewert
19th July 2012, 03:29 AM
I'm no shy person with regards to video gaming violence. I cut my teeth on Unreal Tournament, and I am a unit with a shotgun in Halo. Though the bloody displays at Microsoft's and Sony's press conferences only at E3 left me horrified -- and depressed that industry with the amount of challenges chose to offer so little to its existing and potentially new audiences.

Microsoft's Splinter Cell: Blacklist trailer was obviously a mano-a mano murder fest (you have to enter your age in order to watch it online), featuring multiple headshots which were helpfully slowed down, Matrix-style, which means you could really see the brains go flying. Plus, carotid-slashing, garroting, and skull bashing, all in amazing new pseudo-realistic style. Cod: Black Ops 2 was roughly perhaps you might expect, horrors of war-wise; and the protracted "Tomb Raider" trailer, while admittedly mesmerizing, bashed around a vulnerable, prequel-era Lara Croft so greatly which you type of wished to cry.

By the time I hit Sony, I laughed in horrified bemusement because the "War god: Ascension" trailer showed the primary character, Kratos (newly imbued web site retrovert time, just in case you care) stabbing a huge elephant-man creature to death amidst gouts of blood so cartoonish it appeared to be he was repeatedly puncturing a water balloon.