PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Games Killing Handheld?

Roy Karrde
24th August 2012, 12:03 PM
So as the quality of mobile games increase by leaps and bounds every year, to the point they are beginning to surpass 3DS in terms of graphic quality, the question seems to become if the years of the handheld gamer is becoming numbered.

Mobile phones provide very cheap games, often with very cheap quality, but contain multiple uses.

Handheld consoles are very expensive, but provide longer games, and usually outside of shovel ware have better quality, but have only one or two uses outside of gaming.

The downsides with mobile phone games however is that they come from much smaller production houses and are much shorter, but those seem almost perfect for the short car ride that mobile games specialize in.

So I guess the question is, are we seeing the end of the handheld gaming line? Is price worth the extra length and quality? Or can the two co-exist?

Perfect Chaos
24th August 2012, 12:33 PM
To be quite honest, it's sort of reminds me of the comparison of the DS/PSP and the Wii against PSP/Xbox 360.

Overall, Nintendo consoles' graphics were no where on par with Sony and Microsoft's consoles but they made that up for fun-factor. Many of my friends say that while Sony and Microsoft games are overall better in graphics and in terms of the actual gameplay and story, nothing beats the sheer fun and silliness that is provided by the Nintendo games.

So I think the same could be applied for mobile games compared to handheld games. While overall the graphic quality and story and gameplay would be better on handheld games, they are more expensive and sometimes may be too time-consuming. Mobile games have the advantage of being cheap and sometimes just for their fun-factor (Angry Bird and Plants vs. Zombies are nothing in terms of graphics and actual gameplay and story but nonetheless, they're some of the most popular games around nowadays).

That's how I think about it when you put it into perspective

Jeff
24th August 2012, 02:58 PM
I keep hearing this again and again, but I'm not convinced handheld gaming devices are going anywhere. After all, gaming consoles have been a one-trick pony for years, only recently gaining additional functions and they seemed to have no problem going up against PCs, which have multiple functions including gaming. So if PC gaming didn't kill off console gaming, I can't see how cell phone gaming will kill off handheld gaming.

classy_cat18
24th August 2012, 03:15 PM
Overall, Nintendo consoles' graphics were no were on par with Sony and Microsoft's consoles but they made that up for fun-factor. Many of my friends say that while Sony and Microsoft games are overall better in graphics and in terms of the actual gameplay and story, nothing beats the sheer fun and silliness that is provided by the Nintendo games.

Actually, Nintendo could give them a run for their money in terms of gameplay and story too. You can only play so many shooters before they start to blend together.

This reminds me of an article I read on Gamasutra about the company that makes games for the consoles' online stores as well as iOS. They stated in short that even though they ran into a lot of problems with developing for and selling from the consoles, they would prefer that to iOS because the console developers care about the games themselves, as opposed to iOS and other mobile markets where they just care for a quick buck. Sure, Angry Birds and its other high-selling mobile games are fun. But what do you do when you want to attract the more dedicated gamers? You need more depth. And for that, handhelds and home consoles will always have a place and even have the advantage.

Blademaster
26th August 2012, 05:57 PM
I think it's going to go in the opposite direction, actually.

For decades, consoles have sold well with just games and weird gimmicky games tacked on. They eventually got disc-based content, built-in Internet, and a shit-ton of other features, but nowadays they're becoming like more specific smartphones/tablets. They get Internet, movies, cameras, downloadable services... It's only a matter of time before Moore's Law kicks in and there's handheld Nintendo computers with Mario Teaches Several Dozen Useless Apps built-in for $200-$300. I bet we'll have a machine like that from one of the big three companies of video games by 2020.

Anthony
22nd September 2012, 01:16 AM
Yea this is really true information i am agreed with you and i also reffed this but i am interesting in to playing mobile games on my mobile because this is good to time pass and have a great fun.....

Lady Vulpix
22nd September 2012, 10:18 AM
I enjoy playing with my 3DS, as expensive as it was to get it (and I'm glad I got it before the 15% raise in all foreign currency purchases). And I don't see myself ever buying a mobile phone that's capable of running videogames, unless they stop making the simple ones which are meant to make and receive phone calls. And, if that happens, I'll be be very disappointed.

CaptainJigglypuff
22nd September 2012, 11:45 AM
I doubt that handheld gaming devices will EVER be stopped being produced. I mean the only real handheld devices that were stopped being produced and/or were pulled from the shelves of stores are the Virtualboy because of health hazards and the Lynx because it used SIX AA batteries, its whopping $189 price tag in 1989, and an adapter for it was sold seperately. Also the Lynx was very bulky. Some people like me cannot afford a cell phone contract that has access to downloads or smartphones.