PDA

View Full Version : FOOOOOOTBAAAAALLLLLLLLL (NFL 2012/13)

Drago
5th September 2012, 07:25 PM
FOOOOOOTBAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!1111!1!111!!one one!oneone1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1b2CzlELs)
Another season, another year of false hope that our teams will make it to the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately, since I've started following the other three major American leagues, my football knowledge has suffered, so I haven't really got any predictions for what'll happen this season.

I'm just hopeful for a Titans wildcard berth (probably not going to leapfrog the Texans), anything beyond that is just cake!!

Thoughts?

Dark Sage
5th September 2012, 07:31 PM
I dunno. Monday Night Football hasn't been the same since they pulled Hank William Jr's theme song.

Not that I'm saying they shouldn't have.

Roy Karrde
5th September 2012, 07:32 PM
C'mon Cowboys!!!!!!!!

I know I just gave them the kiss of death but... meh

Dark Sage
5th September 2012, 07:34 PM
Ah, what the Hell...

GO GIANTS! GO BIG BLUE!

Jeff
5th September 2012, 08:43 PM
-VAMQF8vnNo

RAAAAAAVEEEEEEEENNNNNNS!

MNF at M&T for the first time in years and in opening week? It's going to be crazy. I can hear Seven Nation Army already.

That said, I've found it oddly difficult to switch into football mode this year, considering the fact that the Orioles' season is still a thing right now.

Drago
9th September 2012, 05:35 AM
Anyone got any picks for week 1? Here's mine!

Giants over Cowboys - Yes, I'm aware that this game already happened, so I won't bother predicting a score. I just know that, honestly, I would have picked the Giants to win this. Unfortunately, their actual efforts were deflated at best.

Bears 17, Colts 7 - Andrew Luck has a great future ahead of him, but a premiere match against the likes of Julius Peppers won't help. He'll throw a couple of picks in a loss.

Eagles 28, Browns 3 - I want to believe that Brandon Weeden will turn the Browns around. But it won't happen this week, against an angry Eagles D.

Lions 33, Rams 10 - This match could be even more one-sided than my prediction suggests: St. Louis will pick up a TD in garbage time, with the game well out of hand.

Texans 21, Dolphins 14 - The Dolphins will surprise people with their competitiveness in the opener against the vastly superior Texans. They likely won't show such gumption through the rest of the year.

Chiefs 17, Falcons 14 - The Chiefs are a good team that can turn bad in an instant. They were doomed once Jamaal Charles bit the dust last year. Now, they can surprise a favoured Falcons squad.

Jags 13, Vikings 7 - Won't be a pretty game. Two sophomore QBs will struggle, and in the end, Maurice Jones-Drew bests Adrian Peterson in this running back duel, by virtue of the fact he's healthier. His holdout will hurt him in the long run, however.

Redskins 24, Saints 21 - Washington has a chance to make a statement, right here in week 1. The dismembered Saints are ripe for the picking, though Drew Brees will be as good as ever. The return of newly-reinstated Jonathan Vilma will be a great boost, whenever he comes back.

Bills 27, Jets 10 - This will be a long year for the league's most dysfunctional team. The Bills revamped defensive line will bully the Jets all day long, and the crowd will be chanting for Tim Tebow. He won't fare much better.

Patriots 31, Titans 14 - I want to believe the Titans have exorcised the ghosts of 2009. But they just don't have an answer for Tom Brady and Wes Welker right now. This will not be a game for Jake Locker to remember.

Seahawks 19, Cardinals 3 - Once Kurt Warner left Arizona, he took the hopes and dreams of the Cardinals with him. They need to draft a quarterback early next year. They should have gone after Andy Dalton in last year's draft, for that matter.

Packers 37, 49ers 27 - This should be fun to watch. I will probably regret predicting Green Bay to score so many points on the Niners defense.

Panthers 26, Buccaneers 14 - The beat goes on in the NFC north, where one team is always on the rise, while another heads for the basement. The once bright future for the Bucs seems to be waning, while Cam Newton has breathed new life into Charlotte. Personally, I'm not so sold on Newton being a top-five QB this year, because like other sensational rookies before him, opponents may have figured him out. He'll be enough to outduel Josh Freeman, however.

Steelers 17, Broncos 14 - I have a lot of doubt here. The smart money is never against Peyton, but the cohesive Steelers ought to be up to the challenge. I don't think Manning has the weapons around him to take victory. Of course, I've underestimated Peyton before, and he's burnt me like he has so many defenders.

Ravens 17, Bengals 7 - This one ought to be a brawl. Anything less will be a disappointment.

Raiders 16, Chargers 14 - The Raiders will suffer another disappointing season, but the Chargers cannot and will not have success under the regime of Norv Turner. They'll be a middle of the road team, at best, and could very well be stunned by Oakland right off the bat. San Diego will likely be the better of the two by season's end, though.

RedStarWarrior
10th September 2012, 08:22 AM
Skins all the way, baby!

Mr. Madister
11th September 2012, 04:09 PM
Here comes another season of diappointment for us Dolphins fans.

Jeff
11th September 2012, 05:27 PM
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/andywhew.gif

And the Ravens start a second consecutive season by blowing out a division rival!

RedStarWarrior
12th September 2012, 07:29 AM
Not really a big accomplishment, Jeff.

Drago
12th September 2012, 07:41 AM
Bengals will be a good team when all is said and done. The Ravens could be good enough to fix the errors of last year and go all the way to the championship game, I reckon. Anyhow, week 2 picks! After an inauspicious set of predictions for the opening week, I start the year 7-9. Nobody has success with that kind of record, unless they play in the AFC West.

I can say with confidence that I believe I'll fare better this week, now that these teams have more of an identity, rather than trying to formulate an idea from the tea leaves of the preseason.

Packers 21, Bears 17 - The Bears are no slouch, and should test the Packers, but ultimately you can't keep Aaron Rodgers and company down for long. They ought to bounce back here.

Chiefs 19, Bills 10 - Two of last week's disappointing blowouts go head to head, and I still feel more confident about the Chiefs than I do about the Bills. It may be early on, but these teams really need a win now to stop their season from going into a tailspin.

Saints 41, Panthers 37 - Are the bounty-accused defenders of New Orleans back? They have another meeting scheduled, but I'm pretty sure they're otherwise back on the field. They'll be needed to help low down the force of Cam Newton, who is likely out to prove that last week's disappointing display was an anomaly.

Bengals 21, Browns 16 - The Bengals are a good team that lost to a better team. I don't know what the Browns are, but it's certainly not a team that could be considered threatening. Brandon Weeden suffered a terrible debut (across from Michael Vick's equally poor display), and the Bengals will probably force some more turnovers here.

Colts 20, Vikings 17 - Could Indianapolis beating a poor Vikings team be considered an upset? Andrew Luck will show his first signs of superstardom as he leads the Colts down the field in a final, narrow victory. The only thing standing in his way is Minnesota's own weapon in Adrian Peterson, although admittedly, that's a pretty big obstacle for the Colts to overcome.

Texans 44, Jaguars 7 - After a slow start against Miami, Houston can now enjoy bullying an AFC South enemy. Blaine Gabbert needs a confidence-restoring game to build off of if he's ever going to succeed in the NFL, but unfortunately a heartbreaking overtime loss and a shellacking at the hands of a division rival will take that development back even further.

Raiders 13, Dolphins 3 - The Raiders are certainly talented at finding ways to lose. They benefit from a match with Miami that should allow them to fine tune their game plan. It'd also help if Shane Lechler didn't have to pluck so many balls from the dirt, a reminder to anyone who thought that long snappers weren't an important part of your team.

Patriots 38, Cardinals 21 - This Patriots squad looks like it should be akin to older editions: the ruthless villains of the NFL who pummel opponents mercilessly. Who can stop them, other than themselves?

Buccaneers 17, Giants 14 - I will regret this one, I know it. But I haven't taken enough risks this week, so let's throw caution to the wind, and make this week's stupid pick. In all fairness, it's not like the Giants have ever been an unstoppable juggernaut: in both of their recent Super Bowl years, they were regular season also-rans who did just enough to find their way into the playoffs, where they suddenly turned on the afterburners. The concept of them stumbling out of the gates, and losing to a Buccaneers team (that I still don't have much faith in) isn't impossible.

Ravens 28, Eagles 20 - The Ravens are nasty. Ray Lewis appears to embody this year's edition; leaner, meaner, and out for revenge. The Eagles appeared to be sleepwalking in Cleveland last week, and it almost cost them the game. If they haven't given themselves a reality check, this one could get ugly. Andy Reid is an excellent coach, but can he keep this rickety old ship together in what might be the hardest division in football?

Cowboys 19, Seahawks 14 - I want to pick the Seahawks here, I really do, but these aren't your older brother's Cowboys. After slapping New York in the mouth last week, the Cowboys are probably feeling pretty surly, and should be able to overcome an enigmatic Seahawks squad. They might be walking into a trap game here; we'll have to wait and see.

Redskins 10, Rams 9 - The Rams may have lost last week, but they can certainly hold their heads high after challenging the Lions right down to the wire. Maybe with proper officiating, they could have even stolen the win. Cortland Finnegan could really bother RGIII this week, and the wind could be taken out of his sails. Or maybe, his meteoric rise just picks up speed. I'll be interested to find out.

Steelers 20, Jets 14 - Am I being foolhardy, sticking by the old guard and not buying into the hype? Maybe, but I'm not sipping that green Kool-Aid just yet. The Jets might have silenced a lot of their critics (like myself) with their dominating opener, but the Steelers surely aren't over the hill just yet.

Chargers 24, Titans 13 - The Titans' flaws were all on display last week, but they'll have a better showing here. Chargers have owned this matchup, but the wildcard here will be the return of Kenny Britt, the league's best kept secret. Everyone knows that the kid is a clown, but few realise how supremely talented he is: see vs. Eagles last year.

49ers 14, Lions 7 - The 49ers proved once and for all that it doesn't matter how explosive your offence is, they can and will shut it down. They play host to their next NFC North adversary, a Lions squad that didn't look as dominating in week one as I had expected. Matthew Stafford was shaky in spots against the Rams, and this Niners defence will prove a much bigger challenge.

Broncos 34, Falcons 24 - Yes, I've come to kiss Peyton's feet, like all the rest. The Falcons were explosive against the Chiefs last week, but as long as 18 is commanding the huddle, the Broncos have a chance. Atlanta desperately needs to shake him up if they hope to slow him down.

Drago
20th September 2012, 08:09 AM
Last week, I 'said with confidence' that I'd do better in my predictions than I had in the opener. This week, I can at least shrug and say that I didn't do any worse. 7-9 again, and frankly, things look cloudy from here. The efforts of various teams zig-zagged last week: the Cowboys were dismantled by the Seahawks, the Dolphins showed their dominance (albeit against the Raiders), and Arizona shocked the Pats, shocked the world, and no doubt shocked the punters in the process.

This week? I'm not making any promises. Like my hapless Titans, I'll give it the old college try.

Giants 27, Panthers 24 - It'll take another big game from Eli, but I think New York will come out of this one on top. Carolina will certainly be in a lot of games, it's just a matter of how many of those they'll actually win.

Cowboys 17, Buccaneers 14 - I'd like to take those scrappy Bucs (just like I wanted to take Seattle last week), but the Cowboys should have an extra gear playing at the palace in Dallas. Hopefully I won't get burned in two consecutive weeks by overinflated expectations of the Cowboys.

Colts 26, Jaguars 7 - Another chapter in the lore of Andrew Luck, and another game that makes the Jaguars cringe that they took a QB one year too early.

Browns 16, Bills 10 - It's about time for the Browns to get off the schneid, and it may as well be against the mysterious Bills.

Jets 27, Dolphins 17 - If the Jets lose this one, it could very well send these AFC east rivals in different directions: Miami may have some hope for the future, while New York could be seeing the beginning of the end. I might be over-exaggerating, but there's a reason for the phrase 'a New York minute'...

Saints 21, Chiefs 6 - The Saints have looked deplorable so far, but you can only hold Drew Brees down for so long.

Redskins 21, Bengals 14 - I'm definitely on the RG3 hype train (I have been since before the season started, actually), and had it not been for a boneheaded mistake by Josh Morgan, the Redskins could have been 2-0. The Bengals will probably be the biggest challenge for him so far, and win or lose, he's definitely going to learn a thing or two.

Bears 20, Rams 17 - Those Rams, they're fighters for sure. The Bears need to get back on track after a dysfunctional loss last week, and if Jay Cutler lets the opponents get into his head, it could be a disaster he doesn't recover from all season. The Bears are dangerously tip-toeing the line this season.

49ers 41, Vikings 28 - The Vikings might steal a few games this year, but it won't be here. Not against arguably the most complete team in the NFL.

Lions 40, Titans 17 - The nightmare continues for Tennessee, a team that has been victim to one of the most brutal opening schedules in recent memory. Chris Johnson is looking terrible, the offensive line is looking even worse, and Jake Locker is struggling, trying to be the sole bright spot (though those receivers should be something special down the track). Robert Johnson is not a starting safety, and I'm emphatic that the Titans should have tracked down Oshiomogho Atogwe. Too late now, though.

Falcons 31, Chargers 27 - Two undefeated teams. Only one of them is for real, however. The Falcons should handle San Diego with ease, though Philip Rivers can keep them in any game.

Cardinals 29, Eagles 16 - I can't figure these teams out. Surely, neither of them are as good as their record, but they've both managed to take out theoretical juggernauts in New England and Baltimore. The Eagles may glide into the playoffs with this ugly style of 'good enough' football.

Steelers 27, Raiders 0 - If there's two teams capable of being on either side of a shutout, these would be it. Oakland could be a contender for the #1 pick in next year's draft. Let's just hope they don't make another JaMistake.

Texans 30, Broncos 14 - If I go against Peyton, he slays them. If I side with Peyton, he falters. Hopefully that trend continues, and he'll be able to topple one of my AFC south adversaries.

Ravens 16, Patriots 14 - It's time for Baltimore to show the league who they really are. How are the Patriots going to respond to last week's shocker? Will they rise to the challenge? Or will they falter? At the very least, they could activate Greg Salas. I miss that guy.

Packers 21, Seahawks 17 - The Seahawks are a good team this year, and an exciting team to watch. However, the Packers are still an NFL powerhouse. They need Aaron Rodgers to come alive, but Clay Matthews' return to form couldn't have come at a better time.

Drago
20th September 2012, 08:10 AM
Last week, I 'said with confidence' that I'd do better in my predictions than I had in the opener. This week, I can at least shrug and say that I didn't do any worse. 7-9 again, and frankly, things look cloudy from here. The efforts of various teams zig-zagged last week: the Cowboys were dismantled by the Seahawks, the Dolphins showed their dominance (albeit against the Raiders), and Arizona shocked the Pats, shocked the world, and no doubt shocked the punters in the process.

This week? I'm not making any promises. Like my hapless Titans, I'll give it the old college try.

Giants 27, Panthers 24 - It'll take another big game from Eli, but I think New York will come out of this one on top. Carolina will certainly be in a lot of games, it's just a matter of how many of those they'll actually win.

Cowboys 17, Buccaneers 14 - I'd like to take those scrappy Bucs (just like I wanted to take Seattle last week), but the Cowboys should have an extra gear playing at the palace in Dallas. Hopefully I won't get burned in two consecutive weeks by overinflated expectations of the Cowboys.

Colts 26, Jaguars 7 - Another chapter in the lore of Andrew Luck, and another game that makes the Jaguars cringe that they took a QB one year too early.

Browns 16, Bills 10 - It's about time for the Browns to get off the schneid, and it may as well be against the mysterious Bills.

Jets 27, Dolphins 17 - If the Jets lose this one, it could very well send these AFC east rivals in different directions: Miami may have some hope for the future, while New York could be seeing the beginning of the end. I might be over-exaggerating, but there's a reason for the phrase 'a New York minute'...

Saints 21, Chiefs 6 - The Saints have looked deplorable so far, but you can only hold Drew Brees down for so long.

Redskins 21, Bengals 14 - I'm definitely on the RG3 hype train (I have been since before the season started, actually), and had it not been for a boneheaded mistake by Josh Morgan, the Redskins could have been 2-0. The Bengals will probably be the biggest challenge for him so far, and win or lose, he's definitely going to learn a thing or two.

Bears 20, Rams 17 - Those Rams, they're fighters for sure. The Bears need to get back on track after a dysfunctional loss last week, and if Jay Cutler lets the opponents get into his head, it could be a disaster he doesn't recover from all season. The Bears are dangerously tip-toeing the line this season.

49ers 41, Vikings 28 - The Vikings might steal a few games this year, but it won't be here. Not against arguably the most complete team in the NFL.

Lions 40, Titans 17 - The nightmare continues for Tennessee, a team that has been victim to one of the most brutal opening schedules in recent memory. Chris Johnson is looking terrible, the offensive line is looking even worse, and Jake Locker is struggling, trying to be the sole bright spot (though those receivers should be something special down the track). Robert Johnson is not a starting safety, and I'm emphatic that the Titans should have tracked down Oshiomogho Atogwe. Too late now, though.

Falcons 31, Chargers 27 - Two undefeated teams. Only one of them is for real, however. The Falcons should handle San Diego with ease, though Philip Rivers can keep them in any game.

Cardinals 29, Eagles 16 - I can't figure these teams out. Surely, neither of them are as good as their record, but they've both managed to take out theoretical juggernauts in New England and Baltimore. The Eagles may glide into the playoffs with this ugly style of 'good enough' football.

Steelers 27, Raiders 0 - If there's two teams capable of being on either side of a shutout, these would be it. Oakland could be a contender for the #1 pick in next year's draft. Let's just hope they don't make another JaMistake.

Texans 30, Broncos 14 - If I go against Peyton, he slays them. If I side with Peyton, he falters. Hopefully that trend continues, and he'll be able to topple one of my AFC south adversaries.

Ravens 16, Patriots 14 - It's time for Baltimore to show the league who they really are. How are the Patriots going to respond to last week's shocker? Will they rise to the challenge? Or will they falter? At the very least, they could activate Greg Salas. I miss that guy.

Packers 21, Seahawks 17 - The Seahawks are a good team this year, and an exciting team to watch. However, the Packers are still an NFL powerhouse. They need Aaron Rodgers to come alive, but Clay Matthews' return to form couldn't have come at a better time.

Asilynne
20th September 2012, 08:29 AM
I seriously hope that the Ravens beat the Patriots... I HATE THEM!! Come on Ravens do us proud!!!

Jeff
20th September 2012, 01:11 PM
I seriously hope that the Ravens beat the Patriots... I HATE THEM!! Come on Ravens do us proud!!!

^this, lol

Both teams were upset last week and will be out for revenge this week. The Ravens do have that extra sting of losing the AFC championship to the Pats, so this should be a good one.

Jeff
24th September 2012, 04:17 PM
XWMahgT2oT8

Perfect Chaos
24th September 2012, 06:57 PM
I'm loving how the Giants posted up a huge offense showing against the Bucs AND Panthers for two weeks in a row. Here's to that trend continuing for next week as well :D

Drago
25th September 2012, 02:34 AM
This NFL season has been the most confusing I've ever followed. Who's good? Who's bad?? It's still early days, but it seems as though there's more parity this year than there has been in ages.

Tragically, I know for sure that the Texans are really good. :cry:

Asilynne
25th September 2012, 04:42 AM
Go Ravens! I heard they beat the Patriots :)

Jeff
25th September 2012, 06:30 AM
This NFL season has been the most confusing I've ever followed. Who's good? Who's bad?? It's still early days, but it seems as though there's more parity this year than there has been in ages.

Tragically, I know for sure that the Texans are really good. :cry:

Well, we all know who's bad... the refs.

Go Ravens! I heard they beat the Patriots :)

Yeah 31-30, by, of all things, a last-second field goal, exactly how they lost to them last time.

Asilynne
25th September 2012, 07:05 AM
Yeah 31-30, by, of all things, a last-second field goal, exactly how they lost to them last time.

I know thats what makes it all the more sweet hehehehhe ;D

DarkestLight
29th September 2012, 12:18 PM
Boooo real refs are back! What's up with your predictions for this week, Tony :P

Drago
22nd October 2012, 12:31 AM
Boooo real refs are back! What's up with your predictions for this week, Tony :P
I was going shit so I bailed out like a real man :yes:

Mr.E
22nd October 2012, 09:59 PM
Real refs took a bigger dump on the Bucs than the fake ones did on the Packers.

Asilynne
23rd October 2012, 05:19 AM
I was going shit so I bailed out like a real man :yes:

I miss your predictions :( don't give up!!!

Jeff
12th November 2012, 04:40 PM
Bump for reality check:

pu691lXFPU0

Drago
22nd November 2012, 09:21 PM
This Jets/Patriots game is HILARIOUS. Jets' best defensive player: Brandon Moore (1 tackle, 1 forced fumble) :P

MToolen
22nd November 2012, 09:47 PM
The defining call of the early game looked pretty ridiculous to me. Lions QB threw an interception which should've been down where it was caught, but there was no whistle and the Houston player ran it in to the endzone. Detroit's coach threw a challenge flag which apparently means the refs couldn't review the call. Now, the Lions failed in other respects, but that was just crazy!

CaptainJigglypuff
23rd November 2012, 06:16 PM
Anyone of you know what ELSE was important about yesterday? Anyone?

Jeff
23rd November 2012, 06:25 PM
Black Friday Eve?

CaptainJigglypuff
23rd November 2012, 06:32 PM
Black Friday Eve?

Seriously? You have NO idea what happened on November 22?

MToolen
23rd November 2012, 07:49 PM
Seriously? You have NO idea what happened on November 22?

Wikipedia doesn't help me, unless you're talking about JFK's assassination, an historic upset of Ohio State by Michigan, or the initial film release of Toy Story. And that second one's only there because football's related and it's y'know, a football thread.

Quick re-read: you mean yesterday in particular? That the Cowboys lost?

CaptainJigglypuff
23rd November 2012, 07:50 PM
No. JFK who was shot in Dallas. How many people do you know actually realized it was 49 years ago when it happened?

RedStarWarrior
23rd November 2012, 09:09 PM
Redskins won on Thanksgiving.

Shut up about JFK. Not the thread for that.

Jeff
26th November 2012, 04:44 PM
And back to football.

So, a recap of the play from yesterday, as seen at the Wentz household. It was 4th and 29, with a Chargers victory all but certain. Hopefully, the Ravens' offense would run a decent play to stay alive, but they went with a screen. My brother and I both groaned, but we neglected to factor in one minor detail. It was to Ray freakin' Rice.

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/ray-rice.gif?w=300&h=176

So yeah, that happened. A pair of 38-yard field goals later, and they win it in overtime. As a Ravens fan, that one's gotta be right up there with the game-winning catch in Pittsburgh last year.

Drago
27th November 2012, 02:12 AM
Would it be unfair for me to blame the loss on Norv Turner? I always blame Norv, the worst coach in football. He's had 3 head coaching gigs too many.