PDA

View Full Version : Roaming Legendaries

Mystic_clown
11th October 2012, 09:28 PM
Don't you just hate these things? They began back in Gold and Silver with the Legendary Dogs, then in Ruby and Saphire is was Latias and Lotias. In Diamon and Pearl, is was Mespirit and even the Legendary birds in Platinum. And now in Black and White it's Tornadus and Thunderus.

Don't you just hate hunting down these things? The main thing being if you try to go where they are, they move to another location, making it almost luck to be in the same area as them. Even further, when you run into them, unless you're able to stop them, they'll pull a runner, and more often than not, these things have high speed. Plus the basic difficulty of capturing these things as usual for a legendary. It's essentially a legendary battle with an extra helping of pain-in-the-ass!

So, who else hates these things? Feel free to rant.

mr_pikachu
11th October 2012, 09:42 PM
You speak truth. The three dogs were at least a novel idea at the time, but four generations in a row with legendary hunting is a bit wearisome. (I'm also not sure why I can't find Tornadus on my White file... I'm sure the answer's in 100 places online, but I'm loathe to start searching for it, since that feels a little cheap to me in most cases.)

I mean, I get that legendaries are supposed to be hard to catch, and so in some sense I appreciate the hunt. But on another level, I'd at least prefer that they fight back for a few moves before fleeing, if only because it would feel more like you were making progress. That would also allow you to see the actual power of the legendary (as opposed to just its ability to run away). It might make the capture a little easier, but I think you could compensate for that by upping the level of the roaming legendaries. Make them level 60 or something, but have them actually use 0-3 or 1-3 moves (which could be randomly determined) before taking their leave.

CaptainJigglypuff
11th October 2012, 10:00 PM
You speak truth. The three dogs were at least a novel idea at the time, but four generations in a row with legendary hunting is a bit wearisome. (I'm also not sure why I can't find Tornadus on my White file... I'm sure the answer's in 100 places online, but I'm loathe to start searching for it, since that feels a little cheap to me in most cases.)

Tornadus is only found in Pokemon Black.

mr_pikachu
11th October 2012, 10:10 PM
(I'm also not sure why I can't find Tornadus on my White file... I'm sure the answer's in 100 places online, but I'm loathe to start searching for it, since that feels a little cheap to me in most cases.)

[ SPOILER][ /SPOILER] tags would have avoided crushing my soul.

:(

mattbcl
11th October 2012, 10:23 PM
I've hated them since Gold/Silver mostly because I don't like a lot of the legendaries for one reason or another. The legendary dogs were so-so, but I'm simply not a fan of Latias/Latios, nor the Regis, nor Mesprit/Azelf/Uxie. So I suppose when it comes right down to it, I don't care at all about the hunt if it's not a Pokémon I like.

Since I despise grinding in White, I'm nowhere near being able to hunt for Thunderus, but this time around they kicked out a Pokémon I might actually stop and track down. We'll see how in love (or not) I am with it if I should ever find myself getting back to the game.

Blademaster
12th October 2012, 01:57 PM
FUCK RUNNERS.

ESPECIALLY SUICUNE.

Dark Sage
12th October 2012, 02:17 PM
Here's a tip for hunting Tornadus and Thunderus:

Train a Watchog for it. Because they can learn Mean Look, Hypnosis, and Super Fang, and have very decent speed, all you really need to do is find the target. Then Watchog will do the rest. All you need are a lot of Potions to keep it from fainting and a lot of decent Pokeballs. (If you can do it at night, Dusk Balls work best.)

Lady Vulpix
12th October 2012, 03:08 PM
What he said. Golbat/Crobat also does the trick. Just make sure not to faint them.

Dark Sage
12th October 2012, 03:12 PM
That's what Super Fang is for. False Swipe is the best move for reducing a Pokemon's HP without killing it, but Watchog can't learn that, and Super Fang is a close second. It can only cause a Pokemon to faint if it has 1 HP left.

To be safe, always save the game before doing battle with a Legendary. Always.

Rossymore
12th October 2012, 03:49 PM
Best thing to do is paralyze them (and any Legendary in general) and then get a Pokemon with Mean Look. If you can't be bothered with that, then just chip it down in health until the red, then just start chucking balls. They're annoying, but manageable.

CaptainJigglypuff
12th October 2012, 04:02 PM
I actually caught a shiny Entei without using Action Replay once with a Fast Ball on my first encounter with it. I was actually surprised that it rocked three times and then clicked!

DarkestLight
12th October 2012, 04:27 PM
:/ Or....you know...just be a baws and tag them with Wobbuffet. Chuck balls. Yeah Wobby will faint a bit, but its a heck of alot easier than the whole Watchhog train/False Swipe/Spore shenanigans :/

Blademaster
15th October 2012, 06:55 PM
Roar.

ChobiChibi
15th October 2012, 07:02 PM
The easiest way to find roaming legendaries is to run across the gap between 2 routes, or a route and a city, because every time you change route, the pokemon moves. Eventually, it will end up on the same route you are on.

Tis how I caught pretty much all the roamers. Maybe not on the first time. Once they're seen on your pokedex it's easy.

CaptainJigglypuff
15th October 2012, 07:21 PM
The easiest way to find roaming legendaries is to run across the gap between 2 routes, or a route and a city, because every time you change route, the pokemon moves. Eventually, it will end up on the same route you are on.

Tis how I caught pretty much all the roamers. Maybe not on the first time. Once they're seen on your pokedex it's easy.

I tend to do that too and it is a little easier but not by much. In HGSS if you do it on the route before Ecruteak City, you do seem to find Raikou and Entei mucheasier that the Lati's in Kanto.

DarkestLight
15th October 2012, 07:59 PM
o.o Carry only Wobbuffets? I mean..You can breed them, so ..Wynaut! HAW HAW HAW!

Asilynne
16th October 2012, 02:27 AM
o.o Carry only Wobbuffets? I mean..You can breed them, so ..Wynaut! HAW HAW HAW!

I don't know whether to laugh, groan or just slap you LOL

DarkestLight
16th October 2012, 05:36 PM
Rotf XD I do it for the lulz, not the owwies ._.

Jeff
16th October 2012, 06:20 PM
Wobby has high HP so it can withstand a good bit, even from a legendary.

Of course, as Blade pointed out, Roar makes all of those trapping strategies moot. In that case, you could always use something with Soundproof and can learn Mean Look/Block/Spider Web/any others that do the same thing.

Of course, setting all that up though is still more annoying than the good old fashioned, save, beat down, Hypnosis, cross fingers, throw ball technique that's been used since Red and Blue on standing legendaries.

DarkestLight
16th October 2012, 07:06 PM
I agree with Jeff. I just run in. Start hucking, Find again, put it to sleep..start hucking like 150 Ultra balls XD. Hold A when it clicks!

Blademaster
18th October 2012, 07:43 PM
Hold A when it clicks!

Nonono. You hold Up and B as the ball flies out at the Pokemon and catches it, shakes once... shake twice and then BAM. Press down on A right after that second shake so you're holding Up, B, and A at the same time when it shakes for the third time. Works every* time.

*Actual success rate: 63%. Your results may vary.

Ayeun
18th October 2012, 09:48 PM
Nonono. You hold Up and B as the ball flies out at the Pokemon and catches it, shakes once... shake twice and then BAM. Press down on A right after that second shake so you're holding Up, B, and A at the same time when it shakes for the third time. Works every* time.

*Actual success rate: 63%. Your results may vary.

I find that closing my eyes and not looking when throwing the ball works.