PDA

View Full Version : What Starter Now?

Dark Sage
13th October 2012, 12:07 PM
Hey folks, this is both a question, and a sort of opinion poll now that Black 2 and White 2 have come out.

I decided to buy Black 2, but I have yet to start playing it yet. It's been a long time since I played the original Black, and frankly, Black 2 is very different than the first game.

So, what starter does everyone suggest? How have the three of them been working out for folks who are already playing the game?

I already know that none of them have any real advantage or disadvantage against Cheren, so...

BTPoke
13th October 2012, 01:14 PM
1st thing, Cheren's not your Rival in these games. Neither is Bianca. This is set 2 years in the future after the events in BW, so it's someone new entirely.

2nd, I recommend Oshawott. It's one of the best starters in this region (in my opinion). If you want a bit of a challenge, though, I would suggest Snivy.

Dark Sage
13th October 2012, 01:22 PM
1st thing, Cheren's not your Rival in these games. Neither is Bianca. This is set 2 years in the future after the events in BW, so it's someone new entirely.

2nd, I recommend Oshawott. It's one of the best starters in this region (in my opinion). If you want a bit of a challenge, though, I would suggest Snivy.

Yes, I know. Cheren is the first Gym Leader now. And Bianca is your mentor (more or less).

BTPoke
13th October 2012, 01:29 PM
oh, sorry, I misread your post a bit xD

I still stand by my recommendations

ChobiChibi
13th October 2012, 02:26 PM
I chose Oshawott cos I love him, but there are so many water types really early on (Azurill and Psyduck) that you might not want Oshie...

I'm just waiting for my little ball of Fluff to learn thunder shock... Then I'll be happy.

Jeff
13th October 2012, 02:52 PM
There a a few water types early on, and the Sewaddle line makes a decent grass type, but I've found myself wanting a fire type, so Tepig could come in handy if you want a balanced team.

ChobiChibi
13th October 2012, 03:53 PM
I'm secretly hoping someone will just hand me a Pansear...

I have 2 DSs though, so I could just breed and trade, but that would be cheating XP

BTPoke
13th October 2012, 04:15 PM
^And yet your RIVAL gets one of the monkeys. SO not fair :l

DarkestLight
13th October 2012, 06:21 PM
Grass grass grass. I never really even care for fire types , So Snivy all day.

Dark Sage
14th October 2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks, people. I picked Oshawott, btw.

On an unrelated note, Roxy might be one the biggest pushovers in the history of Gym Leaders if you simply think in advance. You can catch a Magnemite in the same city, and her Pokemon have practically no moves that can defeat one.

BTPoke
14th October 2012, 07:20 AM
Cheren's an interesting first Gym leader. This one guy recommended getting a riolu, saying it would help, but riolu only learns its first fighting type move (force Palm) at lvl 15.

This is the first gym, mind you, and my best pokemon was only at lvl 12. It would take a long time to get a riolu to lvl 15.

Using counter didn't exactly help, either, considering he just spammed Work Up until he could thoroughly kick my ass. So yeah, I did indeed white out on the first gym... xD

Dark Sage
14th October 2012, 07:31 AM
It did take me two tries to beat Cheren. I pretty much got lucky when I did.

BTPoke
14th October 2012, 07:53 AM
it just goes to show how normal type gyms are a pain-in-the-ass.

ChobiChibi
14th October 2012, 08:08 AM
DS, are you playing Black or White? In White you get Growlithe! I've seen a Magby in battle, but it doesn't show an area for capture, so I'm gonna assume you can get Magby in Black.

I also caught an Audino today. Catch it?! I hear you say. Why not beat it? Pfft. Audino's move pool is excellent. And high defences. And mine's nature boosts sp atk. I will defeat you all now >w>

Dark Sage
14th October 2012, 08:22 AM
DS, are you playing Black or White? In White you get Growlithe! I've seen a Magby in battle, but it doesn't show an area for capture, so I'm gonna assume you can get Magby in Black.

I also caught an Audino today. Catch it?! I hear you say. Why not beat it? Pfft. Audino's move pool is excellent. And high defences. And mine's nature boosts sp atk. I will defeat you all now >w>

Uh, Chibi, I'm playing Black 2, and I also caught a Growlithe.

I believe that that the version-specific Pokemon in that area are Magby (Black 2) and Elekid (White 2).

I also caught an Audino, for the sake of PokeDex completeness. I won't do that again.

CaptainJigglypuff
14th October 2012, 11:23 AM

I picked Oshawott randomly when I started my game and without even soft reseting, I managed to get a female! I was quite surprised as I only had the game for five minutes and I got a rare girl Pokemon.

Dark Sage
14th October 2012, 11:43 AM
I picked Oshawott randomly when I started my game and without even soft reseting, I managed to get a female! I was quite surprised as I only had the game for five minutes and I got a rare girl Pokemon.

Lucky.

Anyway, I have all the starters in my old Black and White games, so getting the other two should be a simply matter, so long as my spare DS still works... (They aren't female, but I do have a Ditto...)

CaptainJigglypuff
14th October 2012, 12:01 PM
On an unrelated note, Roxy might be one the biggest pushovers in the history of Gym Leaders if you simply think in advance. You can catch a Magnemite in the same city, and her Pokemon have practically no moves that can defeat one.

Beat her using a level 10 Lucario trade over from my Black game. In fact I used it for ALL the Gym battles except Cheren and beat them one time around except for Clay. For him it took me three tries because for some odd reason his Sandslash would NOT go down after being hit with Razor Shell AND Ice Punch. My Pokemon were close to level 30 as well....

BTPoke
14th October 2012, 02:27 PM
yeah, Sandslash has a high defense stat, so it figures you would have a hard time taking it down with physical attacks xD

I would know, because I used a sandslash, and it was AWESOME!
although I never did get a 10 with magnitude :l

CaptainJigglypuff
14th October 2012, 02:36 PM
yeah, Sandslash has a high defense stat, so it figures you would have a hard time taking it down with physical attacks xD

I would know, because I used a sandslash, and it was AWESOME!
although I never did get a 10 with magnitude :l

I got a Magnitude 10 I think only once during this generation....

BTPoke
14th October 2012, 09:12 PM
On a completely unrelated note, did anyone else nickname their pokemon in this game?

By far my weirdest nickname idea was for my sandslash. I named it Shuba... Lol what I was thinking with that one, I have no Idea. I also named my flygon Cush... Dont know what I was thinking for that one, either xD

CaptainJigglypuff
14th October 2012, 10:30 PM
On a completely unrelated note, did anyone else nickname their pokemon in this game?

By far my weirdest nickname idea was for my sandslash. I named it Shuba... Lol what I was thinking with that one, I have no Idea. I also named my flygon Cush... Dont know what I was thinking for that one, either xD

On the spur of the moment I called my Oshawott "Ottelle." I like how it sounds and the nicknaming option is ALWAYS how I can tell if I got a female starter or not (excpt in DPPT).

ChobiChibi
15th October 2012, 06:01 AM
I'm sorry, but my Audino is epic. Just KO'd Venipede in one round with some well placed Double Slaps, two of which were crit hits... <3 Alice.

BTPoke
15th October 2012, 06:31 AM
I find that whenever I'm looking for a specific pokemon, I find tons of DIFFERENT pokemon instead of the one I want.

Looking for an audino in the shaky grass? FIND A FREAKIN' EMOLGA!

Dark Sage
15th October 2012, 06:56 AM
I find that whenever I'm looking for a specific pokemon, I find tons of DIFFERENT pokemon instead of the one I want.

Looking for an audino in the shaky grass? FIND A FREAKIN' EMOLGA!

I kinda like Emolga... If nothing else, it's cute...

Dark Sage
15th October 2012, 01:08 PM
I discovered something interesting.

I've never been very fond of "extras" in Pokemon gams, like Contests and Fashion Shows and whatnot, but the Pokestar Studios is rather fun if you want a diversion. The fact that it requires much more thinking and problem-solving than training Pokemon (you don't even use your Pokemon initially) helps.

Here's something interesting:

In some movies, you star opposite Brycen or Sabrina, who are actors now, it seems. In the "Mystery Doors to the Magical Land" series where you play opposite Sabrina, she's cast as the villain, and plays a dark sorceress who seems to have the power to turn victims into living dolls.

They probably did this just so someone would notice... A shout out to the anime, you think?

CaptainJigglypuff
15th October 2012, 03:03 PM
I discovered something interesting.

I've never been very fond of "extras" in Pokemon gams, like Contests and Fashion Shows and whatnot, but the Pokestar Studios is rather fun if you want a diversion. The fact that it requires much more thinking and problem-solving than training Pokemon (you don't even use your Pokemon initially) helps.

Here's something interesting:

In some movies, you star opposite Brycen or Sabrina, who are actors now, it seems. In the "Mystery Doors to the Magical Land" series where you play opposite Sabrina, she's cast as the villain, and plays a dark sorceress who seems to have the power to turn victims into living dolls.

They probably did this just so someone would notice... A shout out to the anime, you think?

I've always liked that episode myself. In fact I even wrote a fan fic once based on that episode where Sabrina the Teenage Witch (I'll call her Witchy) met Sabrina (calling her Kanto) and Witchy calls Kanto a "freak" which she reponds by turning Witchy into a doll, a reference to an episode of the sitcom. Salem the Cat, who is outside, sees this happen and he syas, "Great. Sabrina's been turned into a doll AGAIN, and I'm stuck in a city that I don't even know about. What else could go wrong?" He then turns around and sees a Persian with cartoon hearts in its eyes staring at him and then nuzzles her head on him and he screams, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" At the end of the story Witchy gets turned back to normal and Salem simply says, "At least I don't have to deal with that crazy Persian anymore." He then notices the same Persian staring at him through the window and he screams, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" again in terror.

Dark Sage
15th October 2012, 03:09 PM
Lol.

Anyway, I've done all the available movies and won't be able to do any more until I enter the hall of fame... Maybe Sabrina will show up in another after that.

They are kind of fun, and a lot easier than the old Pokemon Contests.

ChobiChibi
15th October 2012, 04:08 PM
I got annoyed when they took me to the movie thing. I wanted to just do some quick stuff, but at no point can you just stop and save ><

Dark Sage
17th October 2012, 11:07 AM
I'd like to share something with you.

As of fifteen minutes ago, I just completed my goal of catching Pansear, Panpour, and Pansage in the Lostlorn Forest.

Not easy, because all three only appear in rustling grass, and there's a crazy trainer there who challenges you EVERY time you enter the place, no matter how strong a trainer you are.

I caught Pansage last, which was a little frustrating because it was the one I needed the most. I hadn't gotten a good Grass yet.

All it took were a lot of Max Repels, some luck, and a LOT of patience. That last one is the key to hunting for a rare Pokemon. If you're searching for a rare Pokemon, you have to keep reminding yourself that it's there somewhere, and you have to keep at it until you find it.