PDA

View Full Version : 8N: massive protest in Argentina

Lady Vulpix
8th November 2012, 11:24 AM
I don't know how familiar any of you are with Argentina's politics, but in the last few years they have become a very touchy yet unavoidable subject. Everyone who's not a complete illiterate is either strongly for or strongly against our current government (some copules even started having troubles because of that), and the population is divided roughly in halves in that respect.

I have my own thoughts about what led to this, but I have not stated my own position yet because I'd like you to read about it (http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/argentines-prepare-huge-anti-government-march-17669749#.UJvpKsxjQx7) first.

Anyway, the protest is today. Do you have an opinion on the subject?

Heald
8th November 2012, 01:10 PM
You probably already know my feelings on this but Argentina's current administration is not fit for purpose. I have no ill feelings towards the Argentine people, even if I disagree with many of them on the issue of the Falkland Islands, but your government seems to spend quite a lot of time grandstanding and busying itself with matters like the Falklands, that have no effect on the lives of ordinary Argentines, whilst the economy crumbles and the social fabric rips apart. The Kirchners seems to be completely oblivious to the fact that, both at home and abroad, they are detested and their politics hated. They are not unlike the likes of Assad or Gaddafi in this respect. I pray that they do not decide to begin slaughtering their own people in a desperate bid to stay in power.

Blademaster
8th November 2012, 10:18 PM
your government seems to spend quite a lot of time grandstanding and busying itself with matters like the Falklands, that have no effect on the lives of ordinary Argentines, whilst the economy crumbles and the social fabric rips apart.

http://i.qkme.me/3r2h7z.jpg

Lady Vulpix
9th November 2012, 12:17 PM
Blade's image sums up my government's politics quite well. Yes, I'm strongly against most of the things they have done, and I was at the protest (there were so many people that not even our President could deny the protest was large, even though the media couldn't send helicopters to get a panoramic view because she explicitly forbade that). I don't know if this is going to lead anywhere, but at least she went from "it's a small elite of rich people who want to buy dollars" to "it's the 46% of the population who didn't vote for me". If only she would listen to our demands!

Roy Karrde
9th November 2012, 12:32 PM
700,000 flooded the streets in the protest, it's shocking to look at the mere mass of people in this video.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/argentina/9666350/Argentines-flood-the-streets-to-protest-against-President-Cristina-Fernandez.html

Lady Vulpix
9th November 2012, 02:32 PM
"Supporters claim protesters merely represent middle and upper class frustrations with the left-leaning government and not the population at large."

Funny, since the upper class is them, and they're clearly not protesting.

Middle class? Yes, most us us are protesting. Do we not qualify as a part of the "population"? and many members of the lower classes are protesting too: those who have a job which does not allow them to even eat healthily, and are forced to give up a half of their salaries to support those who don't work and don't even want to. And also those who are looking for a job and can't find it, and those who had one and lost it.

Protesting against the "left-leaning government"? That's ridiculous. Why don't they read the signs to see what we're really protesting against? Half of us are left-leaning. There are a lot of real issues, they should try to listen instead of making up lies to disqualify us.

But yes, that's what the situation is like right now.

Telume
11th November 2012, 05:03 AM
Argentina's government has been a disaster. There are things that are important outside of the country, yes. But the first thing you have to do when you take such an important role is to build inside your country first. Can't have a country without the people's solidarity first. Not to mention, the most important thing, which is having their approval. Neither of which Kirchner really has right now.

Magmar
11th November 2012, 11:48 AM
Gabi, if you didn't say anything about this, I never would have known. There has been nothing in my usual news sources about this Argentinian Revolution. This speaks to the value of our international community <3

RedStarWarrior
13th November 2012, 07:37 AM
The US should exploit this to annex Argentina.

I'd say I don't know enough to truly comment, but the ability to protest makes country great because the government can be held accountable.