PDA

View Full Version : Social Security Disability Income

Blademaster
13th November 2012, 03:41 PM
Hey guys. I apologize for the uncharacteristic seriousness of this topic, but I have a small quandary.

I was recently informed that I am, somewhat to my dismay, eligible to receive SSDI. I still live at home, albeit in a house with a paid-off mortgage, and as much as I hate to say it, holding a full-time job is not plausible for me. The most I've ever worked is two 8-hour days in the same week due to a combination of psychological and physical issues. We're not really a POOR family, but between taxes, medication, and economic issues causing my dad to keep getting laid off for days or weeks at a time, I need a way to contribute. This may be my best bet for doing so.

However, as I have made clear on this sub-board time and time again, I understand neither economics nor politics. Ergo, I don't know what sort of 'cons' come along with this sort of income. More pressingly, I also don't know if this is a decision I can morally make: Anybody who knows me well knows I neither want nor expect much to be just given to me. I know this was paid into by my family and not the government or taxpayers or something, but my foolish pride is making me struggle to accept this as a necessary course of action, just as it did in the past when I realized I would be dependent on medication for probably my entire life.

I'm sorry to dump this on you guys. I normally dump my problems on anonymous sites for quicker and less personal answers, but my pride and what I tenuously call my moral code are both making this too personal to take that route this time.

I need help. I know I do. But I don't know if I can - or should - accept it.

What do I do...?

Heald
13th November 2012, 04:46 PM
Probably not the best person to advise since I'm not an Amerifat, but I'd recommend speaking to anyone in authority who might be able to help (not sure if you have anything like a Citizen's Advice Bureau, or else contact the government agency responsible for paying this and asking them).

The main things you will need to consider is:

- how much will you be getting, how often you will be getting it and how long you will be in receipt of it for
- under what conditions you will have to remain in order to remain eligible to receive it
- what you cannot do in order to remain eligible (e.g. take up part-time or full-time employment, volunteer, doing unpaid work or interning)
- whether it will affect any insurance you may already have or may decide to take up in the future
- what happens once you reach retirement age
- any other downsides that may be applicable if you decide to take receipt of it

At the end of the day, if you are entitled to receive any form of assistance, there is absolutely no moral or ethical problem in accepting it. If this is something you can sign on and off to at relative ease, you could sign up and if you are at unease after a few months you can reconsider your position.

Blademaster
13th November 2012, 08:17 PM
- how much will you be getting, how often you will be getting it and how long you will be in receipt of it for

My understanding is that it's $300 on a monthly basis. I don't know offhand if it's EVERY month or every few months, though. The last part I am totally unsure of.

- under what conditions you will have to remain in order to remain eligible to receive it

The two I know of are that my monthly income cannot exceed $1,000 and I cannot own property.

- whether it will affect any insurance you may already have or may decide to take up in the future

I currently have none; the future is about as clear to me as it is to you.

- what happens once you reach retirement age

Considering my current life is basically that of a retiree, this doesn't much worry me.

At the end of the day, if you are entitled to receive any form of assistance, there is absolutely no moral or ethical problem in accepting it.

That's what I'm told... The trouble I have in accepting aid from others is that I would rather not have myself what someone else can make better use of. Being given money just for being alive is hard for me to swallow when so many other people - probably even some in this very city - are alive themselves and receiving no help. And they might not have a house, food, clean water, and/or basic utilities like I do.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th November 2012, 05:34 AM
I don't know much of the system in the USA, either, but your situation sounds a bit familiar.

As for myself, I have my mental support giving me advice everywhere. I am basically retired, but I can do work as long as my earnings don't exceed a certain limit. I was able to legally teach Japanese, but when I was offered an English teacher position, I had to refuse because of two factors.

1) the total salary might have been to big
2) mental issues, too much stress

I ended up hospitalized again in any case, but now I have a job again, and it's more like a normal job, I'm a library car assistant. I do 4-hour-long days three times a week.

Other than salary, I also receive housing allowance, 'warranty retirement benefit' and 'handicap benefit'. I was able to keep my bank account in a relatively good condition until last month, when I made some big purchases.

But it's sad that you'll have to live with drugs the rest of your life. I would so much like to lessen my medication to minimum as well. I had a positive attitude towards medicine for years, but now I hate them. I'll stand by the doctor's prescription though I don't accept taking them forever.

I don't know if I can do much to cheer you up, but you are not alone at least. Good luck.

RedStarWarrior
14th November 2012, 07:45 AM
I would call the Social Security Administration and go over your questions with them. Their website has a lot of information as well. Also, I'm not sure, but isn't household income calculated into it? You may want to check on that.

Pichu Luver
14th November 2012, 11:02 AM
Sorry, wall of text ahead.

The trouble I have in accepting aid from others is that I would rather not have myself what someone else can make better use of. Being given money just for being alive is hard for me to swallow when so many other people - probably even some in this very city - are alive themselves and receiving no help. And they might not have a house, food, clean water, and/or basic utilities like I do.

Blade you know my current situation and I have to say, don’t feel any sort of quandary about accepting this help your government can give you. I know you say you don’t want to accept help because your current living situation is pretty good, however you also said your father had trouble holding a job right now. Any monetary help you can give would probably be useful to them, and might make you feel better being able to help your family pay for medications and/or groceries.

In my personal situation I have to eat a lot and my meds are expensive. Thankfully, due to being on government help they pay for most of the cost of that (drug card). I also have to make trips downtown to doctors very often, and I can help with gas money. You say you don’t want to accept this money because other people could, maybe, make better use of the money. You know you could use this to help your family, so isn’t that a good use of it? I also do not believe you will be depriving anyone of getting help themselves, if you accept it for yourself.

Ergo, I don't know what sort of 'cons' come along with this sort of income.

As for economic questions around the money itself, I don’t know how it works in the States, however you should check if it’s taxable. As I recently was accepted to Canada Pension, and that is taxable money, so next year I may have to pay out for it.

The two I know of are that my monthly income cannot exceed $1,000 and I cannot own property.

It’s good you know the max amount you can have in your bank account; you should also see how much you can work without affecting it. I know you said you cannot work much due to your health issues, but if you ever feel up to working at all, it’s good to know that kind of information now.

Again, I apologize for not knowing much about this kind of insurance, but is it possible to get some sort of drug card with this SSDI? It might help with your drug costs, if you have problems with that. I am not telling you to take your government for all you can, only to see where you can help yourself and your family with bills. I had to get a doctor to fill out forms proving I am ill, and it is likely the same for you, if it’s an option.

My understanding is that it's $300 on a monthly basis. I don't know offhand if it's EVERY month or every few months, though. The last part I am totally unsure of.

In my case I get money every month, and they also send me a card that I would have to fill out if anything changed about my work situation and/or any other sort of received income (like having a boarder, buying property, etc.). In the original income help I got, I had to fill out a card saying nothing had changed monetary wise, and to send in a paper with the doctors I had visited (with their signatures) in order to get help with gas money. With $300 you would probably get it every month, but yeah you should check that.

I believe this (http://www.ssa.gov/disability/) is their website, and this (http://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits.htm) in particular might answer a lot of the questions you have. If all else fails, phone. Usually they are pretty helpful people, as yes this stuff can be VERY confusing. Oo’’’

Magmar
14th November 2012, 01:22 PM
Blade,

I know as an introvert and as someone who wants to do so much more, this probably feels like a negative for you. However, perhaps this is an opportunity for you to do things you weren't previously able to financially manage. This money is so that you can live and support your family to the best of your ability. You have a different set of abilities, but that doesn't mean you have to feel bad that you have to accept help.

Even though your physical condition and the way the pieces of your brain are put together make you unable to work and probably also unable to drive (judging by what you've said in this post and others I would guess you have high levels of anxiety)... there are still some great things you can do. Consider your ability to argue, research and articulate points in a discussion. You have a gift at doing that. You are also witty and innovative. Maybe something you can do in order to feel productive is some freelance writing... Just do it as you go, when you feel motivated, even if it's just for free and even just for your own blog. Make up a pseudonym if that makes you feel more comfortable--you don't have to be identified.

You must have a deep and wonderful story that you could share with the world. You're also not the only person who feels this way about government benefits. It hurts your sense of pride to accept help... It hurts mine too, I hate admitting when I'm overwhelmed or need more time/help with things. I get you on that.

I get what one of your other worries is, so I hope saying this helps. As a taxpayer, I'm happy to help support people like you and support you in your endeavors--any way I can. Blade, you could still be the man who cures cancer for all we know right now, and you certainly seem smart and sincere enough to do something great like this... but Rome wasn't built in a day and things can change. You're a wonderful addition to the TPM community, and you're brave for admitting these things even to us where you're certainly in a safe place.

If things like having goals and structure result in too much anxiety, maybe what you need most is unstructured things that bring you fulfillment and joy in the way that works best for you.

The message that I'm getting from your posts is that even calling the Social Security department makes you feel embarrassed and anxious. If that's the case, try Googling for what's already out there, or check the links Little Pichu provided you. Surely you can find the answers out there in a way that works best for you. If not, please don't be afraid to ask again, as many times as it takes. We'll come together and take care of you, because you are worth it!

Blademaster
14th November 2012, 08:11 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m65yulWhvJ1r7azfs.png

Sometimes you just don't need words.

DarkestLight
14th November 2012, 08:45 PM
Pichu Lover linked the correct pages. Take the time to read over "their" definition of "disability" and then call. Screw trying to make heads or tails of it. Call, ask them as many and all questions you need to.

If you are approved, it will be a monthly occurrence for a specified time length based on your condition (up to a year, I think) to which you'll have to renew.

To me, this is not the same as someone that feeds off the system and just sits around and swallows up money. You want to work, but can't. You have a real need for this money and that's what it is there for. There's no shame in, essentially, taking what's being offered to you for a true need that will help your life. You'll be able to make it up in other ways in the future :O