PDA

View Full Version : The whole Jynx controversy....

CaptainJigglypuff
16th November 2012, 05:58 AM
I don't see why some people claim Jynx is a racist stereotype that portrays blackface. I mean it is an Ice/Psychic Pokemon and can blow a blizzard out of its mouth! Except for the Psychic characteristics, I don't know ANYONE who could breathe out freezing cold air other than Superman. I mean Mr. Popo is more racist than Jynx EVER will be! He serves an alien and white men in a sense, wears a turban, has big fat lips, AND is the blackest person you have EVER seen anywhere! Me. Popo is basically a slave! I think that would be more offensive to people but yet no one ever mentions how racist the DBZ character is but they attack Jynx? What is up with that?!!! Feel free to discuss.

Blademaster
16th November 2012, 11:26 PM
This topic was old and stupid when it first happened ten years ago and it's old and stupid now.

/thread

CaptainJigglypuff
17th November 2012, 12:00 AM
I just am trying to get perspective on the whole thing. It just seems odd that people claim some creature that can exhale Icy Wind out of its motuth is racist but somehow Mr. popo isn't. That's all. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Te-em
20th November 2012, 03:40 AM
I always thought Jynx was Nordic because of her blond hair. The black in her face is make up anyway, thus her original name Rougela (rouge is a make up).

There are also other Pokemon that used to be black, but GF changed the colours of them. How could possibly a black ghost be considered offending, but GF just want to be safe, probably. No ghost Pokemon will ever look scary again. And not even Dakrurai is black (its grey).

CaptainJigglypuff
20th November 2012, 02:57 PM
I always thought Jynx was Nordic because of her blond hair. The black in her face is make up anyway, thus her original name Rougela (rouge is a make up).

There are also other Pokemon that used to be black, but GF changed the colours of them. How could possibly a black ghost be considered offending, but GF just want to be safe, probably. No ghost Pokemon will ever look scary again. And not even Dakrurai is black (its grey).

Zekrom might be the only Pokemon that is mostly black.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
29th November 2012, 10:47 AM

Smart thinking. Though of course we could argue the face is NOT make up in its literal sense, because it's part of that 'extra' every Jynx has, much like Machamp's 'pants', or 'Power Safe Belt', which can never be taken off.

Lady Vulpix
29th November 2012, 11:11 AM
I think that's ridiculous as well. And even assuming someone would be offended by being compared to a Jynx, then why is it offending black people and not blonde women? Now they've changed the skin color but left the blond hair.

DivineAll
29th November 2012, 08:13 PM
Is Jynx really racist? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXH87UlJ5o)

Or is the species really just an homage to Japanese culture like most other Pocket Monsters? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m40f31gZcag)

It's just a theory, A Game Theory. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8X3l_Tt8VE)

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
30th November 2012, 07:33 AM
I'm pretty sure whoever created the character had no racist intentions and I racism never crossed my mind for a moment when looking at Jynx. All I ever thought was that it's one ugly Pokémon.

Blademaster
30th November 2012, 02:56 PM
Mr. Mime and the Ralts family a weirdly-shaped humanoids and nobody complained that THEY were racist...

Oh, wait. That's because they're white. Silly me.