PDA

View Full Version : Diglett really IS ridiculous!

Lady Vulpix
29th November 2012, 10:36 AM
Then again, dreams don't have to make sense, right?

Anyway... I was playing on the Dream World yesterday and I saw a Diglett fall off an ice stalactite. It was only for a split-second, but I could see the Diglett in the air with all the earth around and nothing below.

I've caught her and named her Oddity (because Incongruity was too long for the game). She has a Serious nature (no, seriously!) and her stats are quite good for a Diglett, especially her Defense and Special Defense.

Have you had any other experiences that made no sense while playing the games? Diglett-related or otherwise.

CaptainJigglypuff
29th November 2012, 01:23 PM
I once had a Misdreavus with a Bashful nature yet its personality text said that "it likes to fight." I never understood how that could be possible since bashful means shy and most things that are shy will try and avoid conflict as much as possible.

Magmar
29th November 2012, 02:24 PM
Funny fact about Diglett... the red oval is not its nose, it's its mouth!

Other than using Metronome in Pokemon Stadium and seeing what happens when Kangaskhan uses Fly... or Sky Attack if it evolved from Missingno., I don't have any exciting stories like this.

CaptainJigglypuff
29th November 2012, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=Magmar;577385]Funny fact about Diglett... the red oval is not its nose, it's its mouth!
[QUOTE]

How do you know this?

DarkestLight
29th November 2012, 09:58 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lubi6efW8l1qm4igno1_500.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ikv129.jpg White=tooth. #cannotunsee #ruinedDiglett

Blademaster
29th November 2012, 10:47 PM
Haven't we been over this before?

Alright, look, there's a very simple explanation for why Diglett seems to break the laws of physics like this. Diglett (and Dugtrio, of course) is different from most other Pokemon in that it exists in more than three spacial dimensions. We're only able to see the very end of it because that's all that manifests of it in our 3-D Universe.

If that's a bit hard to comprehend, then imagine a world spanning a big piece of paper. Because the surface of the paper is flat, this world is 2-dimensional. Its inhabitants can only see length and width, so if you were to put something 3-dimensional on the paper, like a soda can, the flat-worlders would only see a circle, since that's the shape of the part of the can that's touching their world.

Get it? Alright, well, imagine our world now. It's 3-D, while Diglett is 4-D. We see a small 3-D shape where Diglett comes into contact with our world. The dirt around Diglett's 'base' is where it stops intersecting with our world, so even if we were to put the Diglett on a non-sedimentary surface or suspend it above the ground, we still wouldn't see anything 'below' its 'head.'

Fortunately, computers can sate our curiosity by simulating 4-dimensional or higher environments. When a Diglett is added to the simulation, here's the result:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/123/163/1246069337407.jpg

DarkestLight
30th November 2012, 01:40 AM
^I'd still hit it.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
30th November 2012, 07:35 AM
That reminds me of Pokémon Stadium on the N64 where through Metronome or some other stuff Diglit was able to use Fly. When it floated away you saw there's nothing underneath, lol.

Lady Vulpix
30th November 2012, 10:27 AM
Wow... The 4th dimension explanation is the only one that could somehow make sense.

Magmar
30th November 2012, 10:52 AM
Great explanation Blade! :applause:

Blademaster
30th November 2012, 02:58 PM
:science:

Kumori
30th November 2012, 03:31 PM
Well, in Platinum, Lucas's Clefairy used Roar of Time via Metronome and I don't even know if that makes any kind of logical sense.

kaBoMBer's Notebook
1st December 2012, 08:12 PM
I like it when you take Diglett to a Pokemon Center in HGSS and it crawls(?) up the counter in the overworld... And also the family in Cerulean City that keeps a Diglett indoors, on a wooden floor.

Te-em
6th December 2012, 10:58 AM
Strange things that happened when I played the games were one buggy and also funny thing and one that was just stupid and lazily programmed. When I battled a Pokemon in Green Version it used some continuing attack that trapped me, but the opponent was poisoned and when he died of poison my Pokemon went down as well, though it didn't faint.

In Pokemon Colloseum, the ugliest Pokemon game of all time, when a Pokemon uses Fly, there are some moments when it sits in the air without flapping its wings, in the same posture as it would be standing on the ground. There may be some exceptions, like Pokemon that always flap their wings, if Zubat had learnt Fly for instance.

Dark Sage
9th December 2012, 04:34 PM
Gary gives an explanation (sort of) for Diglett in the episode "Dig That Diglett".

Of course, that was still when he had his harem of cheerleaders and was a major jerkass. He may have been the proverbial "Know-Nothing-Know-It-All" back then.

Ayeun
11th December 2012, 02:30 AM
In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red and Blue, you get visited by a diglet, who complains about someone or something tickling its toes...

Blade, can you expand your picture explenation to show Diglets toes?

Blademaster
12th December 2012, 11:31 PM
Aight.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/123/163/1246069337407.jpg
http://www.medimanage.com/Images/moisturize-feet_300.jpg

Charles Legend
13th December 2012, 01:06 AM
gabi why did you just not post about this in the
Pokemon mysteries/oddities that have baffled you thread since it still on the fist page, and no0t alot happens here in General Discussion anyways...

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/alipeewee/Diggletsfeet.gif

but yeah I think the most logical expatiation is that its a living Wack-a-mole, I mean Game freak did base a lot of pokémon off of Internment objects in the fist gen you know...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5buifQNPo1ry73mco1_1280.jpg

then again it could just look like a real mole...

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs47/i/2009/248/6/7/DIGLETT____________by_Pokemon_Mento.png

then again perhaps long ago there was a gigantic killer mole that only lived in what now known as Diglett's Cave, the mole Grew living moles on its body to attract prey stupid humans...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/Only_Emma/Therealdiglett.png

~Charles Legend

Lady Vulpix
13th December 2012, 07:59 AM
gabi why did you just not post about this in the
Pokemon mysteries/oddities that have baffled you thread since it still on the fist page, and no0t alot happens here in General Discussion anyways...The difference may be subtle, but...

The other thread is for things that are mysterious or confusing. This thread is for things that make no sense whatsoever.

If GD had dozens of active threads, we could possibly merge these two, but as it is, I think it could use more active threads, provided they're not SPAM.

Dark Sage
13th December 2012, 08:55 AM
Blade's explanation is kind of funny, but it's unlikely, seeing as it would make it very hard for dozens of Diglett to gather together in one place at one time, like they did in the aforementined episode "Dig That Diglett". (There'd simply be not enough room for them all.)

The "real mole" picture that Charles gave is far more feasible, but even this poses the question of just what happens when three of them combine into a Dugtrio.

DivineAll
13th December 2012, 01:24 PM
People talk about how ridiculous Diglett is... but what about... Dugtrio? *dramatic music*

Dark Sage
13th December 2012, 01:40 PM
How come? Because Dugtrio is three Pokemon combined?

It isn't the only Pokemon where evolution involves more than one Pokemon combining. Slowpoke and Shellder do it too (to become either Slowbro OR Slowking). Also, according to PokeDex entries, Metang is a combination of two Beldum, while Metagross is a combination of two Metang.

I guess you could compare this to a symbiotic relationship, if you wanted to use real-life biological terms.

CaptainJigglypuff
13th December 2012, 04:24 PM
How come? Because Dugtrio is three Pokemon combined?

It isn't the only Pokemon where evolution involves more than one Pokemon combining. Slowpoke and Cloyster do it too (to become either Slowbro OR Slowking). Also, according to PokeDex entries, Metang is a combination of two Beldum, while Metagross is a combination of two Metang.

I guess you could compare this to a symbiotic relationship, if you wanted to use real-life biological terms.

Magneton is ALSO a combined Pokemon. It is just three Magnemite attached to each other to form a pyramid like shape.

Dark Sage
13th December 2012, 05:44 PM
Magneton is ALSO a combined Pokemon. It is just three Magnemite attached to each other to form a pyramid like shape.

Right. I knew I was missing one...

Blademaster
14th December 2012, 08:38 PM
Blade's explanation is kind of funny, but it's unlikely, seeing as it would make it very hard for dozens of Diglett to gather together in one place at one time

Easily explained with a slight alteration in the theory: The Diglett's intersecting our plane aren't a literal part of the Digletts' bodies, but rather, they're just an image cast in one less dimension. What do we call an image of ourselves cast in one less spatial dimension?

A shadow.

Dark Sage
15th December 2012, 06:05 AM
Yeah, Blade, sure.

You portray Diglett as quite a hideous, powerful monster, which is strange, considering that, as far as Pokemon go, its overall stats are third-rate at best.

It isn't even very good when compared to other Ground Pokemon. Put it up against an Excadrill or a Krookodile of equal level, and you have a Curb-Stomp Battle, with Diglett hitting the curb. I tend to doubt it would be a match for Sandslash or even Marrowak either.

You're giving Diglett far too much credit.

Kumori
15th December 2012, 06:17 AM
Yeah, Blade, sure.

You portray Diglett as quite a hideous, powerful monster, which is strange, considering that, as far as Pokemon go, its overall stats are third-rate at best.

It isn't even very good when compared to other Ground Pokemon. Put it up against an Excadrill or a Krookodile of equal level, and you have a Curb-Stomp Battle, with Diglett hitting the curb. I tend to doubt it would be a match for Sandslash or even Marrowak either.

You're giving Diglett far too much credit.
Prepare to die (http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/UNLESS+YOUR+DIGLETT+_9a8aa57071e8ea70bf35bb94cd283 27f.jpg)

Dark Sage
15th December 2012, 09:31 AM
Uh...

What exactly is your link supposed to show me? It's just a random bunch of videos.

Kumori
15th December 2012, 09:37 AM
Uh...

What exactly is your link supposed to show me? It's just a random bunch of videos.
It's a picture... also a joke...

DarkestLight
15th December 2012, 01:16 PM
no, you just linked to the main page, not the photo :/

Kumori
15th December 2012, 01:28 PM
Oh :/ I'm sure I linked to the picture... I checked the link but now it's just...
oh internet, you is mean.