PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Retrospective

Cferra
20th December 2012, 09:33 AM
Hail!

In the vein of the Pokemon Anime movie reviews I talked about here: http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25056, I'm opening a thread about my friend JewWario's video about his experience in the classic RBY generation. Here it is: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/jewwario/ycpt/37633-ycpt-a-personal-retrospective-pokemon

He discusses the old days of Pokemon and what it means to him. Normally, JDub does a review show where he discusses import games that haven't made it outside of Japan that anyone can play without knowing much Japanese. Hence the name of his main show: You Can Play This.

I also made a Pokemon Black and White preview a long time ago with some of TGWTG's pokemaniacs doing cameos. http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/blogs/latest/entry/cferra-pokn-black-and-white-preview

Now then, what do you think of the series as a whole? How far have we come from the days of RBY and what do you hope for the future generations? Also, what do you think of the reviews? I wish I didn't have a webcam for that second vid. I have since gotten a much better camera for reviewing. Thoughts on the vids? And where do you see the series going after so many years?

Personally, I think the series may go even further on the 3DS. We MAY even use the gyroscope feature to physically look for Pokemon around us. That would be cool. Also, can you imagine the Wii U pad being used in the same way for a sequel to Pokemon Snap? That would be cool. Let's hope the Pokemon games on the Wii U and the 3DS make good use out of the systems features!

kaBoMBer's Notebook
20th December 2012, 01:53 PM
I think it will be a while before we get a true platformer or 3D Pokemon game for one simple reason: memory capacity. Making unique animations for over 600 characters is unrealistic. Seriously, Pokedex 3D takes up about a third of an SD card by itself on a 3DS, and that' not even a game (but my God, were those character models amazing). Sure, we can get simple stuff like Pokemon Stadium, Coliseum, Battle Revolution, Snap, which have simple models and limited animations/gameplay, but it would be tough to get a satisfying game with every Pokemon. I'm interested to see how Game Freak will work around that on the 3DS. I personally thought what they did in BW was genius, dividing each moving part of a Pokemon into a separate sprite to avoid making 50 sprites for each Pokemon's animation. I'd like to see how things play out in years to come...

Rossymore
20th December 2012, 02:25 PM
Well I've been an avid player of Pokemon for well over a decade now, I just never lost interest in the series and I don't regret it at all, as the series gets better and better as it goes on.

What I am interested is what's the next in the series (R/S REMAKES!) and exactly how many Pokemon they can put in the series without the console waving a white flag. Nevertheless, I'll continue to be a fan for many years to come, until at least the fifteenth remake of Red/Blue.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
22nd December 2012, 02:10 AM
Well I've been an avid player of Pokemon for well over a decade now, I just never lost interest in the series and I don't regret it at all, as the series gets better and better as it goes on.

What I am interested is what's the next in the series (R/S REMAKES!) and exactly how many Pokemon they can put in the series without the console waving a white flag. Nevertheless, I'll continue to be a fan for many years to come, until at least the fifteenth remake of Red/Blue.

The same is true for me, don't have much to add. I too think it's time for yet another remake and R/S would be the next logical choice in line.

What we also should see again is another Stadium game. Maybe with some new animations and models and not the upteenth rehash of the old N64 models.

Dark Scizor
27th December 2012, 10:55 AM
It's a fun game franchise. Nothing too complex, it's just simple entertainment. Can't go wrong with a Pokémon game.

As for the future, I think that it would be pretty nice if they make Pokémon Snap 2.

CaptainJigglypuff
27th December 2012, 03:02 PM
I want MORE Jigglypuff in the Anime AND games!!!! :D