PDA

View Full Version : Just sayin..

Ayeun
21st December 2012, 08:49 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/14479_564690916879136_85110999_n.jpg

Dark Sage
22nd December 2012, 04:39 AM
No, not worse than the bullshit campaign run by Harold Camping.

More people actually believed him. They quit their jobs, dropped out of school, and broke off relationships, and worst of all, spent their own money to promote his message, all because they believed a false prophet, who in my opinion, deserved to go to jail.

kaBoMBer's Notebook
22nd December 2012, 07:40 AM
We all know the world won't end until someone wears the Majora's Mask!

RaZoR LeAf
22nd December 2012, 12:06 PM
Unless the world HAS ended, and the depressing realisation is that it's just as bad as it was before.

Blademaster
23rd December 2012, 01:29 AM
No, not worse than the bullshit campaign run by Harold Camping.

More people actually believed him. They quit their jobs, dropped out of school, and broke off relationships, and worst of all, spent their own money to promote his message, all because they believed a false prophet, who in my opinion, deserved to go to jail.

I'm playing the world's tiniest violin for all those unforunate, suffering first-world simpletons that believed that listening to some unknown with a blog/a Bible/a community college degree would lead them further in life than would listening to the most advanced society, the most highly merited scientists, and the most concrete possible evidence in literally the history of the human race.

Truly, my heart goes out to those poor damned souls who had no possible way of preventing such a cruel and unforseeable turn by the wheel of fate.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
23rd December 2012, 06:13 AM
The local newspaper called Kalajokilaakso had a strange metaphor yesterday.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Mikayuta/Picture0039_zpse932ba64.jpg

Meille tuli maailmanloppu
An end of the world came to us

Ylivieska - Tänään piti tulla maailmanloppu, ja meille se tuli.
Ylivieska - Today, the end of the world should have come, and to us, it came.
PPO-yhtiöiden myynti tulee tietämään sadoille meistä potkuja.
Selling the PPO companies means that hundreds of us will be fired.
Irtisanomiset tulevat olemaan rankka isku Ylivieskalle ja meidän työntekijöillemme.
The dismissals will be a tough strike to Ylivieska and our workers.
PPO:lla on paljon nuoria työnekijöitä, joilla on perhe elätettävänä ja asuntovelat päällä.
PPO has lots of young employess that have families to provide food for and they have apartment debt on them.
Hyvä, jos sata työntekijää 470:stä saa pitää työnsä, arvioi PPO-yhtiöiden asentajien pääluottamusmies Juhani Löftbacka.
It will be good if 100 employees out of 470 can keep their jobs, the chief trustee of the PPO Companies technicians Juhani Löftbacka estimates.

PPO-Yhtiöiden ja Viske Oy:n työntekijät marssivat ulos perjantaina kello 12 vastalauseena sille, että PPO:n liiketoiminta myydään Elisalle.
The employees of PPO Companies and Viske OY companies walked out 12 o'clock on Friday as a protest over selling PPO's business activity to Elisa.
Työnantajan edustaja, toimitusjohtaja Pauli Rinta-Tassi pitää ulosmarssia laittomana työtaistelutoimenpiteenä.
The representative of the employer, CEO Pauli Rinta-Tassi regards the walkout an illegal industrial action.

Jeff
23rd December 2012, 11:29 PM
The power went out in Annapolis the night before. (http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/12/21/some-thought-massive-power-outage-in-annapolis-marked-end-of-the-world/)

That must have been the most exiting thing to happen.

Lady Vulpix
24th December 2012, 08:02 AM
Well, horrible things happened here and I still don't know who was behind them. Lots of stores were raided all over the country, a lot of things were destroyed and the raiders stole everything they could find (TV sets and computers were among the most stolen goods). Some streets were blocked for 2 days, and most people reacted by yelling at each other and accusing their least favorite politician... But the truth is no one really knows who the organizers were (except for the organizers themselves, of course).

Dark Sage
24th December 2012, 08:55 AM
It rained a little here.

That was the closest we came to a cataclysm.

I feel sorry for the folks who spent money on doomsday bunkers. I really don't think the guys who sold them are going to honor the return policies.

I don't feel sorry for the guys who were dumb enough to buy the delux luxury doomsday bunkers with widescreen TVs. I mean seriously, did they actually think that there would still be television broadcasting after the apocalypse? Lol.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th December 2012, 09:08 AM
I don't feel sorry for the guys who were dumb enough to buy the delux luxury doomsday bunkers with widescreen TVs. I mean seriously, did they actually think that there would still be television broadcasting after the apocalypse? Lol.

I agree but I'd use that TV to play videogames until the games are 100 years old.

Dark Sage
25th December 2012, 02:26 AM
You know, Issac Newton made a prediction about the end of the world. But he was smarter than most doomsayers. The date he picked wouldn't occur until well after he knew he'd be dead.

Blademaster
25th December 2012, 02:55 AM
...I actually had to look that up. Apparently he wasn't smart enough to base his prediction off of concrete scientific evidence as opposed to religion... Not that it was strange for his time, but it's still saddening to learn that even a mind as great and revered as Newton's can let itself be clouded by Greco-Roman comic books.

Dark Sage
25th December 2012, 06:35 AM
...I actually had to look that up. Apparently he wasn't smart enough to base his prediction off of concrete scientific evidence as opposed to religion... Not that it was strange for his time, but it's still saddening to learn that even a mind as great and revered as Newton's can let itself be clouded by Greco-Roman comic books.

Before you give Newton too much credit, I should let you know that he also believed in alchemy.

Maybe he was an "eccentic genius" or even a "mad scientist" type, I dunno.

Lady Vulpix
25th December 2012, 10:43 AM
Give the guy some creadit. Science wasn't very organized when he lived. It was a time when religion was "what everyone knew was true" and science was just whatever curious people did to try and figure out things for which they had no explanation. And alchemy was another way to try and figure things out. Over time some things proved to work better than others, and then a long time later the sceintific method was formalized, but that wouldn't have been possible if people like Newton hadn't tried new things out - both the ones that worked and the ones that didn't.

And today's great minds are also "clouded" by the way the world works these days, researching whatever pays and not necessarily what's most useful for the world as a whole, and making assumptions based on their own beliefs and the impositions of the current methods, which may or may not lead to good results, just as their theories may or may not be - even partially - true. Research has always been conditioned by the environment and culture, just like all other human actions. We do what we can with what we have, and I think Newton did a great job with what he had.

RedStarWarrior
26th December 2012, 07:36 AM
Thank Torchwood for averting the apocalypse.

Blademaster
27th December 2012, 01:14 AM
Torchwood? Nah man, it was ponies again: The world didn't end because the next day was a new episode of MLP:FiM. Specifically, an AJ episode. Which had her singing.

People can now literally say that Doomsday came before Applejack got a song.

And that is hilarious.

Leon-IH
27th December 2012, 01:22 AM
It's fairly plausible that Newton was just fucking with everyone. Also he was wrong about how light works.

Nall
27th December 2012, 04:02 AM
I've got zero sympathy for anybody who did anything stupid because they thought the world was going to end. Harold Camping is an overzealous moron and so is anybody who believed what he was spewing.

Also, in regards to Newton, I'm not convinced it's possible to be both a genius and sane. Those two traits are mutually exclusive.

shazza
27th December 2012, 05:46 AM
Apocalypse does not point to a fiery Armageddon but to the fact that our ignorance and our complacency are coming to an end. Our divided, schizophrenic worldview, with no mythology adequate to coordinate our conscious and unconscious — that is what is coming to an end. The exclusivism of there being only one way in which we can be saved, the idea that there is a single religious group that is in sole possession of the truth — that is the world as we know it that must pass away. What is the kingdom? It lies in our realization of the ubiquity of the divine presence in our neighbors, in our enemies, in all of us.

Lady Vulpix
27th December 2012, 07:17 AM
It's fairly plausible that Newton was just fucking with everyone. Also he was wrong about how light works.

Can you blame him? To this day, no one fully understands how light works.

Blademaster
27th December 2012, 05:43 PM
I know how light works.

But I'm not allowed to tell any of you. Sorry. :ninja:

Mikachu Yukitatsu
28th December 2012, 01:04 AM
Apocalypse does not point to a fiery Armageddon but to the fact that our ignorance and our complacency are coming to an end.

Well there is a book in The Bible named Apocalypse of John or Book of Revelations, and there you can read about a battle that happens in Armageddon, a plateau in Israel. Or Palestine. But if we go with that the debate is turning into a religion one. The scholars in Ecumenical councils discussed whether or not The Book of Revelations should be in the Bible or not anyway.

Dark Sage
28th December 2012, 09:45 AM
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." - Mattew 24:36

Camping was a sorry excuse for a man of God. He was essentially claiming that the Bible lied.

BTPoke
28th December 2012, 09:55 AM
The only thing we got up here in wisconsin was enough snow to have snow days on Thursday and Friday of that week.

... That was more of a good thing than a bad thing xD

Blademaster
28th December 2012, 04:57 PM
Camping was a sorry excuse for a man of God. He was essentially claiming that the Bible lied.

Lies?!

In the BIBLE?!?!?!

http://gracielittlehales.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/gasp.jpg?w=500

Dark Sage
28th December 2012, 05:21 PM
Sure Blade, I'm not saying that's an uncommon belief. People say all the time that stuff in the Bible is untrue.

But people who claim to be the heads of a churches don't tend to be among such people. People like that usually take everything in that book at face value.

Nall
29th December 2012, 12:01 AM
Whether you're a Christian or not, the Bible was written by men centuries ago, not God, and it's completely fallible.

Nobody takes everything in the Bible at face value, or at least nobody should. There is a lot of bullshit in there, especially if you're a woman. Everybody just cherry-picks the verses that support what they already believe, and pretend the rest doesn't exist - which honestly is for the best. Can you imagine how many stonings there'd be otherwise?

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone - believe what you will, just don't base your entire belief structure off the Bible. Regardless of belief or lack thereof, if it really was originally God's word, it's been re-translated and passed down and edited so many times over the past 2000 years that it should be taken with a grain (or a bucket) of salt. Not to say there aren't good things in there, but there are a lot of bad things. Strong belief in the Bible is a major source of some of the worst aspects of our society, such as misogyny and homophobia.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent. People have every right to be religious, just... don't be stupid. The two aren't synonymous.

Dark Sage
29th December 2012, 06:59 AM
Nall, you missed my point. I agree with you completely. I was trying to say that a lot of problems in our society are caused by people who DO take everything in that book literally or even worse, miss the point of it completely. (There's a certain group in Kansas who's name I'm not even going to mention who have perverted the words in it completely.)

The Bible is reportedly the best-selling book in the world and has been so for a long time. (I say "reportedly" because it is intentionally left off bestseller lists, along with the Qur'an and Quotations from Chairman Mao because exact print figures for such books may be missing or unreliable as they tend to be printed by different and unrelated publishers.) Inaccurate or not, it's a popular book for many reasons, and people who turn to it for the wrong reasons... Well, sadly, they're likely not going to go away anytime soon.

Nall
30th December 2012, 02:27 AM
Sorry I went off on a bit of a rant. This issue tends to rub me the wrong way. Glad we're on the same side!

Becky
31st December 2012, 01:23 AM
Brian and I were in the car driving all during that day on our way to my in-laws for Christmas. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, so that's what we were grateful for!