PDA

View Full Version : New type!?

Jeff
17th February 2013, 11:25 AM
So, we've talked about this a bit in the evolution thread, but a recent image has been revealed that has pretty much confirmed it.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/xy/pokemon02/images/img_pokemon_02.png

This is the Japanese version of the Eevee evolution chart that was shown off when Sylveon was unveiled, complete with "???" being used in Sylveon's type. Notice how Sylveon's type is represented as pink. That usually means Psychic, but Psychic is represented by purple here. It's as if they changed it to make room for a new type to be represented by pink. So yeah, the color further points to a "magic" or "fairy" type.

Personally, I would have preferred light or sound but a new type is exiting nonetheless. I have to say, I'm exited for the possibilities of new Pokemon designs that'll come out of this, even if most of them are probably going to look girly.:P

Thoughts?

Magmar
17th February 2013, 12:19 PM
Maybe it'll be the Holy type and it will know Ultima!

I summon Mikachu for thoughts on this. :)

Lady Vulpix
17th February 2013, 12:22 PM
This reminds me of when people used to think Chatot was pure Flying type because its type was revealed as Flying. I think it's too early to tell, maybe they're just trying to create suspense.

DarkestLight
17th February 2013, 01:55 PM
>.> Yo its Sugimori Art is hideous! The eyes alone make it look repulsive :[

Fett One
17th February 2013, 02:08 PM
I think they are just trying to create suspense. At a guess, I would assume it would be a normal type or possibly a ghost type. The design of the body looks like it would fit in with normal types. While it's a little too cute looking for ghosts, the eyes look like something you would see from a ghost type.

Rossymore
17th February 2013, 03:58 PM
Normal, bug or flying. They can make new types when they make other types not suck as much, such as poison, ice and grass.

Oslo
17th February 2013, 05:12 PM
I'm equal parts hopeful and skeptical. A new type would be nifty, but we've also been down this road so many times before, such as when oodles of people thought Reshiram was a Light-type. The pink beneath Sylveon's image could just be an attempt to colour coordinate and nothing more.

Also, I think a new type would be a great way to make other types not suck as much! Make it so it's weak to Poison and does resisted damage to Ice and Grass and voila. A (slightly) more balanced type chart.

DarkestLight
17th February 2013, 07:32 PM
>.> Or you know...fix water so its weak to psn like it should be!

Blademaster
17th February 2013, 08:43 PM
Called it.

Shades of pink and purple usually represent Normal, Psychic, Poison, Ghost, or Dragon-types. Eevee and Espeon have the first two covered (respectively), and out of the remaining types, Sylveon doesn't seem to fit any of them.

If it is a new type, what'll it be called?

My money's on Fairy-type. I've seen Light and Magic suggested here, too.

Any other guesses? Maybe Beauty, Mystic, or Pure/Purity?

Or, dare I say something so cliche, Love?

The Blue Avenger
17th February 2013, 09:20 PM

Overpowered.

Though I guess we'd have a type for Return, too.

Jeff
17th February 2013, 10:36 PM

Haha - wait a minute.

Ground = Earth
Fire
Flying = Wind
Water

and of course...
Love = Heart!

*shot*

Rossymore
17th February 2013, 10:54 PM
No avatar can master that element.

But I also hope that there's another eeveelution waiting in the wings, or maybe there is just the one. Ah well, that means in Gen VIII we'll get another one, then Gen X, none at all, following progression charts.

Zak
18th February 2013, 01:31 AM
This reminds me of when people used to think Chatot was pure Flying type because its type was revealed as Flying. I think it's too early to tell, maybe they're just trying to create suspense.

Well, if I recall correctly, it was shown in a CoroCoro being listed only as Flying, alongside other newly revealed dual-type ones which had both types listed, in that same page in the same image form (Weavile as Dark/Ice comes to mind). So it was logical reasoning, to an extent.
Yeah, it's not like there would be any reason to hide that Weavile was Dark/Ice or for us to presume it was anything else, but the logic makes sense that if the same source is capable of listing two types, whatever it lists are all the types. And Chatot just said Flying.

I think you're all overanalyzing. Pretty sure it's an already existing type (or two maybe, that'd be a first), but they are keeping that information secret.

I mean, Latias and Latios were among the first RS Pokemon to be revealed, and their types were not known until the game's release.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th February 2013, 05:40 AM

I summon Mikachu for thoughts on this. :)

In fact, I was going to post just a list of the Eeveelutions and their Japanese names yesterday, like this:

Vaporeon = Showers
Jolteon = Thunders
Flareon = Booster
Espeon = Eifie
Umbreon = Blacky
Leafeon = Leafia
Glaceon = Glacia

And finally,

Sylveon = Ninfia

But I figured out it would be pointless or something. Well now I posted it anyway.

Ultima and Holy are Final Fantasy <3 What Pokemon would Vanille have?

Lady Vulpix
18th February 2013, 08:01 AM
Well, if I recall correctly, it was shown in a CoroCoro being listed only as Flying, alongside other newly revealed dual-type ones which had both types listed, in that same page in the same image form (Weavile as Dark/Ice comes to mind). So it was logical reasoning, to an extent.
Yeah, it's not like there would be any reason to hide that Weavile was Dark/Ice or for us to presume it was anything else, but the logic makes sense that if the same source is capable of listing two types, whatever it lists are all the types. And Chatot just said Flying.

I think you're all overanalyzing. Pretty sure it's an already existing type (or two maybe, that'd be a first), but they are keeping that information secret.

I mean, Latias and Latios were among the first RS Pokemon to be revealed, and their types were not known until the game's release.
I wasn't blaming you, Zak. I'm just saying they may be using the same strategy to create speculation.

As for the type, it seemed like Ghost to me when I first saw the picture, and the name sounds fitting. Remember Sylph Co.?

Then again, it's just a guess.

CaptainJigglypuff
18th February 2013, 11:10 AM
Ultima and Holy are Final Fantasy <3 What Pokemon would Vanille have?

Pokemon species and type, Vanille probably would be Annoyance to many FF players.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
18th February 2013, 11:13 AM

Ah, the infamous Holy type, brought up ever since Ruby/Sapphire I think.

Sounds good to me though.

Edretah
18th February 2013, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pse_I1klRhA

Cant tell by its attacks either. I hope there is a second eeveelution. Because if you look, 3 in first gen, 2 in second gen, none in third, 2 in fourth, none in fifth, so there should be 2 in sixth. And they have all been special typed. Elec, Fire, Water, Psychic, Dark, Grass, Ice.... the only ones left to fill that theory are ghost and dragon. As opposed to physical types, fighting, rock, ground, flying, bug, normal, steel, and poison. I think before they make a new type for eeveelution they should fill up the other ones.

EDIT: I realllllly dont want it to be normal. I want it to be ghost. I feel like they couldve done better. Also, im not letting this Pokemon effect my outlook on the game.

Pokemaster Ash
18th February 2013, 05:26 PM
...I thought Dark used to be a Physical Type back in Gen 2-3 (hence why it had moves like Bite, Crunch, Thief, etc). Also, Ghost was Physical in Gen 1-3 for some weird reason (Lick?), which explains why Ghosts started becoming more popular after Gen 4.

Also, I'm betting Sylveon is Flying, the pink is just to confuse us.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
18th February 2013, 06:02 PM
Dark has always been special, and Ghost physical.

Edretah
18th February 2013, 07:51 PM
Wait you sure? Damn i thought Ghost was Special

DivineAll
18th February 2013, 09:15 PM
Cant tell by its attacks either. I hope there is a second eeveelution. Because if you look, 3 in first gen, 2 in second gen, none in third, 2 in fourth, none in fifth, so there should be 2 in sixth. And they have all been special typed. Elec, Fire, Water, Psychic, Dark, Grass, Ice.... the only ones left to fill that theory are ghost and dragon. As opposed to physical types, fighting, rock, ground, flying, bug, normal, steel, and poison. I think before they make a new type for eeveelution they should fill up the other ones.

You ARE talking about the Physical/Special Typing before the Generation 4 split, aren't you?

Edretah
19th February 2013, 11:42 AM
Yes

Lady Vulpix
19th February 2013, 12:51 PM
Ghost used to be physical and Dark used to be special. However, there are a lot more physical Dark-type moves than special ones, and the opposite holds for Ghost-type moves.

Anyway, there are no physical or special types now, so I don't think that's a factor when designing a new Eevee evolution.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
19th February 2013, 03:59 PM
What? No physical or special? Tell me more.

DarkestLight
19th February 2013, 07:04 PM
What? How the hell did you mod ASB and not know the Physical/Special shift was relegated to move parameters only; after Gen IV was released. *waits for sarcasm tag..*

Jeff
12th May 2013, 12:12 AM
So, I don't know if anyone else here has heard about the latest development, but the new type has now been practically confirmed.

There was a skit on the latest episode of Pokemon Smash that shows some members of the cast trying to figure out Sylveon's type. They had Sylveon attack a block of ice, and concluded that it was strong against ice, meaning that it must be fighting, rock, or steel. To see if it's a steel-type, they used a poison move against it, and not only did it take damage, but the move was super effective. That led to confusion as they couldn't figure out what type was strong against ice and weak to poison.

Turns out, there is no such type... yet. Junichi Masuda is supposed to be on next week's episode and will supposedly reveal some big news. I'd say "there's going to be a freaking 18th type" would be pretty big.

Oslo
12th May 2013, 01:02 AM
I'm pleased that this makes Poison a bit better offensively and amused that it makes Ice even worse defensively. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Emerald_Gen.3
12th May 2013, 09:15 AM
No avatar can master that element.

That wasn't an avatar reference, it was a captain planet reference...
I think that it will probably be the Fairy type or Holy type like everyone's suggesting

BTPoke
12th May 2013, 09:53 AM
That wasn't an avatar reference, it was a captain planet reference...

I think he gets that, Emerald. He was probably just making a joke xD

Magmar
12th May 2013, 10:30 AM
It might be a Silver type... Just Saiyan. ;)

Or maybe more generic Precious Metal type.. Jewel-type? <3 That would fit with the theme of "cursed" jewels being weak to poison! <3 <3

Lady Vulpix
12th May 2013, 10:35 AM
Personally, I would have preferred light or sound but a new type is exiting nonetheless.You mean something like this (http://leviathyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/pokemon_xy_sound_light.jpg)?

DarkestLight
12th May 2013, 10:58 AM
So, I don't know if anyone else here has heard about the latest development, but the new type has now been practically confirmed.

There was a skit on the latest episode of Pokemon Smash that shows some members of the cast trying to figure out Sylveon's type. They had Sylveon attack a block of ice, and concluded that it was strong against ice, meaning that it must be fighting, rock, or steel.

Fire cries.

To see if it's a steel-type, they used a poison move against it, and not only did it take damage, but the move was super effective. That led to confusion as they couldn't figure out what type was strong against ice and weak to poison.

Turns out, there is no such type... yet. Junichi Masuda is supposed to be on next week's episode and will supposedly reveal some big news. I'd say "there's going to be a freaking 18th type" would be pretty big.

Interesting. Maybe it could be that damn light type, or holy or love. Would balance out the cha--no Ice still gets it bad. And unless this new types gets a proliferate abundance of moves/Pokemon representing it, Poison is still gonna be shafted. :/

Emerald_Gen.3
12th May 2013, 11:02 AM
I think he gets that, Emerald. He was probably just making a joke xD

hehe yeah *goes back to ASB where he belongs*

Jeff
12th May 2013, 11:07 AM
Fire cries.

Didn't count it because Flareon.

DarkestLight
12th May 2013, 11:57 AM
>.> Oh yeah. Forgot about the useless bastard Fire eevee.

Blademaster
14th May 2013, 01:38 PM
Strong against Ice but weak against Poison...

Yeah, I'm going with Love now. Poison = corruption/hate, Ice = cold shoulder/hard heart. It sorta makes sense.