PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Languages

Mikachu Yukitatsu
8th March 2013, 07:59 AM
Polls are now in Misc. forum. What polls? Seriously, how long has it been since you saw a real poll at TPM? I will change it all with this topic.

1. What languages have you studied?

At school, English, Swedish, German, French, Russian. Outside school, Japanese and Chinese, and I also took up Spanish lessons later.

2. Other than your mother tongue, which language are you most comfortable with?

Must be English. I'm quite fluent, and I keep my skills up every day at TPM.

3. Do you miss a certain language? I mean is there a language you have studied once but not for a long time and you'd like to get it back?

I'd like to take French or German lessons again.

4. What is the funniest-sounding language you have run into?

Swedish sounds crazy to my ears.

5. Is there a language you have never studied but would like to learn?

Hard question. I'd say Sami, the language spoken in Lapland.

6. Do you like grammar?

YESSSSS

7. Do you have any experience on using sign language?

No.

Other than these questions, you can also use this topic to talk about languages in general.

shazza
8th March 2013, 08:04 AM

At school I have studied Indonesian. Outside school I tried to get into French and Italian but my pursuits so far have been futile.

aussie m8

3. Do you miss a certain language? I mean is there a language you have studied once but not for a long time and you'd like to get it back?

French.

aussie m8

Mandarin

6. Do you like grammar?

ok

yes

Lady Vulpix
8th March 2013, 08:26 AM

English and Mandarin Chinese. I admire you for having studied so many!

English. Same reasons as you. :)

There is no such language, but I'd really like to have Chinese lessons again. My learning of the Chinese language has been quite irregular since my class disintegrated.

I haven't heard any language that sounded funny to me, but there are some people who speak German in a way that everything they say sounds like an insult, even if they're trying to be nice. I find that kind of funny.

Every language I don't speak. I wish I could learn them all. I think Hebrew's at the top of the list, though. I learned a little bit in kindergarden, and I've taught myself to read the Hebrew alphabet, but I don't really know the language and I feel like I'm missing something important.

6. Do you like grammar?

Yes, I do.

Hardly any, but I know a few signs. For instance, I know how to say 'love' in Spanish sign language, and 'maybe' in English sign language.

Telume
8th March 2013, 09:29 AM

French, Japanese and Portuguese on my own time.

Spanish, my family speaks it all the time. Some people don't believe I can speak spanish and are surprised when I answer them in good Spanish.

Well, I wanted to learn French, but I had a terrible teacher in High School, now that I'm out of it, though, I'd like to pick up French again.

Those crazy Finns.

It's a tie between Hebrew and Arabic.

6. Do you like grammar?

Teachers in the US aren't renowned for teaching grammar.

A little. I had classmates who used sign language and I had 3 classes with them so, I learned some signs from them. Can't say I know sign language, though.

Gavin Luper
8th March 2013, 10:14 AM

Italian, Japanese and French.

French is my strongest foreign language, I speak it at a pretty decent level. But I find Italian is an easier language to learn, generally.

Italian for sure, since I would love to speak it fluently, and also Japanese, most of which I have forgotten.

I dunno, maybe Swahili or something like that, I have some friends who speak it and it is very different to the European languages.

It's a tie between Arabic and Russian. Or maybe Spanish, actually, or German.

6. Do you like grammar?

Hm, it's pretty dry as far as hobbies go and I wouldn't say I "like" grammar, but I do like to have a mastery of it.

None, except the one-finger salute.

Asilynne
8th March 2013, 10:14 AM

Mandarin and Russian in Middle School. French and German in High school. Japanese outside of school.

Honestly, Japanese. I've forgotten most of the other languages :(

German.

Welsh and Gaelic have crazy spelling/pronunciation

Gaelic.

6. Do you like grammar?

Meh. lol

I know the alphabet! and a few signs. Would like to learn :)

Magmar
9th March 2013, 11:11 AM

Besides English, I've studied Spanish, Italian, and Japanese. Might be trying to learn Mandarin this summer! :)

I'm most comfortable with Italian, despite knowing far less Italian than I know Spanish. I'm fluent in Spanish, but Italian is something I grew up learning and understanding!

Italian for sure. I can't control my use of Italian. It just comes out now and then.

Serbian... for reasons I can't discuss LOL (work-related)

Hebrew for sure.

6. Do you like grammar?

Yes, I've worked as a copy editor and a developmental/substantive editor.

No.

Katie
9th March 2013, 09:40 PM
Spanish for 2 years in high school! Can't say I remember much more than to ask where the bathroom is or "more beer please!" (though I think I learned that one after high school)

I haven't learned anything else :(

I tried to learn some Japanese in my anime phase 10 years ago (!!!) but am not particularly interested in picking it back up.

Chinese! I am seriously surprised those little syllables form sentences. Each one is so abrupt, it doesn't sound very flowy.

German would be cool! I have all this phlegm I'd like to expel.

6. Do you like grammar?
Er, "like"? I am neutral. I know enough to get by in a professional office setting (emails, proofing/drafting documents, etc) but I'm horrible at punctuation. I use commas too often, and forget the rules for which piece of punctuation comes first when you use more than one thing in a row.

I can spell my name!

Crystal Mew
10th March 2013, 02:12 PM
spanish for 2 years in high school then I had a semester of it in college

probably spanish, I hear it often because of where I live

I thought I could learn Japanese like 12 years ago, because of pokemon and because I am part Japanese but...yeahhh nothing ever came of that and I really have no desire to go back to learning it

probably Navajo

spanish, so when people are speaking it around me I can know what they're saying. although I can get an idea of what people are saying in spanish now if they're talking around me. at work it used to be a lot of talk about affairs going on between married women... smh

6. Do you like grammar?
yes, but mostly just the proper use of your, you're, their, there, they're, to, too, two...etc. punctuation and capitalization..not so much

I know the alphabet and a few other words

Perfect Chaos
10th March 2013, 05:31 PM

Tamil (my parents native language). Took 5 years of Spanish in high school, can't remember too much of it. I can fairly understand it when someone talks to me but answering back is a totally different story. Picked up some Sudanese Arabic while I was in India, I know totally random

Definitely Tamil. I was in India for 4 years in my parents' state, so had to learn to speak it to get around. Can't read it for shit though.

Trying to pick up Spanish again since I live in SoFL and its really helpful for any job that you apply for.

Sudanese Arabic and I guess Arabic in general. Not funny-sounding but it sounds like they're speaking poetry whenever I hear it.

Hindi, Arabic, Japanese.

6. Do you like grammar?

Damn straight.

Does flipping the bird count? ;O

mvtm
10th March 2013, 07:53 PM

I have studied English and Spanish at school. French and Italian outside school (I'm Italian too)

English, i have learn it since i was 3 at school, so mine is really good. I even get compliments in the states, whenever they see me translating.

French. I took about 2 years of French. Intermediate-Advance at the Alliance Française, but i didn't have time and dropped it. That was around 2005.

Have not run in a funny language that i remember. They are just languages, i don't think they are funny. Well, i have run into Afrikaans and Zulu. Interesting but i don't laugh.

Italian, I'm an Italian Passport holder. I vote in elections, and i'm Italian, but i don't speak Italian. I do understand it perfectly and can read, but i don't speak it. I have been in clases with my brother but he dropped out, so i abandoned too. I promise to learn Italian and i am determined to in some point in life, as i am Italian. lol

6. Do you like grammar?

Yes

Nop

RaZoR LeAf
13th March 2013, 06:54 PM

French and Welsh.

Welsh is the mother tongue of my country, but i've never learnt enough of it. So English is the only language I know.

Knowing more Welsh would be nice, but I have no aptitude for learning languages.

Afrikaans.

Russian. I love the sound of russian words.

6. Do you like grammar?

Respect it, yes. Like it, no. So damn complicated.

I know 'slice of pizza' and 'vagina' are very similar so be careful when placing an order

abunaidesu
18th March 2013, 11:40 AM

English, Laotian, & Cantonese.

English.

n/a

Vietnamese isn't funny sounding, but it is a complete ear sore.

Probably French.

6. Do you like grammar?

Yes.

No.