PDA

View Full Version : How to be pleasant and help those around you

Heald
3rd April 2013, 02:32 PM
I have to deal with people a lot (including anyone at TPM). I've always known how to be friendly and polite and I'm sure a lot of you do too. So please share your stories or tips.

Making co-workers a cup of tea or coffee is always a sure-fire way of boosting morale and good feelings.

Giving a friend a cuddle if they're feeling down is awesome.

Never turning down a request or offer to hang out or be with a friend unless you are completely unable to means you'll never miss out on good times.

So come on TPM, share the love :)

ChobiChibi
3rd April 2013, 02:59 PM
Yesterday, I helped an old lady pick out some presents for a Christening, because she clearly wanted someone to just chose for her so that she didn't have to pick herself.

Today I amused a guy, who to be honest I found quite creepy, just by having a polite conversation with him. Y'know, being all friendly-like despite the fact he told me he likes the fact he sees in double-vision cos when he sees a hot lady, he sees two hot ladies.

Kumori
3rd April 2013, 03:28 PM
I was about to cross one of those roads where there are four entrances for cars, sorry, I'm not very road-literate, and a lady asked me if she could borrow my arm and motioned to her walking stick and said that she was a little scared of situations like that. I couldn't really refuse and I wouldn't, so I helped her across the road and she thanked me and I said "no problem at all" and then we went our separate ways, but it cheered me up for the rest of the day ^^

Drago
3rd April 2013, 09:12 PM
A smile goes a long way, particularly when dealing with people. Also, I know it's lame, but whenever I'm managing a shift, I always make sure to stress in the key things to achieve on that day, that people should have fun.

Oslo
3rd April 2013, 09:52 PM
I try to be an easy laugh for people who aren't necessarily the funniest. Nobody likes to bomb a joke in a group setting and a friendly, unobtrusive chuckle can really go a long way.

shazza
4th April 2013, 03:52 AM
Whenever getting off public transport, I've just decided to avoid that rush and just welcome anyone past me with an open hand gesture and a smile.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
4th April 2013, 06:24 AM
I once helped an old woman to find a Blind Guardian CD from a supermarket. Something only I could do and superfast at that moment.

This thread is lovely!

Asilynne
4th April 2013, 06:48 AM
Compliments are free, I'll tell people they are awesome or that they look good in something, or that I love the way they talk etc just anything about them that I like. Its all true, not idle flattery, but most people even if they think something they usually won't say it. Which is sad because oftentimes people aren't afraid to say something negative or mean and yet they keep their mouths shut with complements? Makes no sense to me.

Also, I try to see the good in everyone. Its good to not automatically assume someone is bad in some way. If you give them the benefit of the doubt, a lot of times you end up avoiding treating someone like a criminal or like shit when they don't deserve it :) Don't automatically imprint negativity on someone's words and actions because oftentimes they don't mean it in a bad way.

A simple, "how are you" or "how are things?" that you actually mean and not just saying as a way to say Hi, can go a long way. Sometimes people are going through a hard time and keep it inside, and you would never know it because they show a happy face to the world, but a thoughtful question like that can be all a person needs to confide in you.

Avoid "jokes" that are really insults in disguise, but said in a joking way so no one thinks they are being mean. Actually, avoid passive aggressive behaviors altogether because nothing good can come from them.

I agree with the smiling and such :) And asking a friend if they need help with anything is a nice thing to do too!

Nice topic Heald :D

Telume
4th April 2013, 06:51 PM
I always have to help people, considering I'm a software tester, I help the developers find the bugs in their software.

That's always helpful, right? right?