PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Roger Ebert

Telume
4th April 2013, 06:53 PM
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/04/roger-ebert-dead_n_3016769.html?ir=Celebrity Discuss!

Knight of Time
4th April 2013, 07:25 PM
South Park was right about him...he should have kept away from the fatty foods (a reference to the Season 2 episode that mentions him).

RIP.

Pokemaster Ash
4th April 2013, 08:23 PM
It wasn't bad food that did him in, it was cancer (actually, the guy was hit twice with it, survived the first round although his face got messed up from the surgery and treatments necessary to get rid of it, the second round not so lucky).

Jeff
4th April 2013, 10:11 PM
I still remember when Siskel died, that was when I was in high school.

R.I.P

Heald
5th April 2013, 12:25 AM
Awful news. 2 stars.

Dark Sage
5th April 2013, 03:34 AM
South Park was right about him...he should have kept away from the fatty foods (a reference to the Season 2 episode that mentions him).

RIP.

I give South Park two thumbs down, and I sincerely wish I had a third.

Mr. Ebert, however, was a genius in his field, and to his many critiques of the motion picture industry over the years, I give two thumbs up.

No one will ever replace him. He will be missed. Rest in Peace Mr. Ebert.

Edit: And btw, KoT, not only is South Park right about nothing (they even say so themselves in the opening disclaimer), the poor man died of cancer. It had nothing to do with his weight.

Knight of Time
5th April 2013, 08:18 AM
Edit: And btw, KoT, not only is South Park right about nothing (they even say so themselves in the opening disclaimer), the poor man died of cancer. It had nothing to do with his weight.

I already knew he had cancer...I wasn't being serious when I made the South Park reference here earlier, it was just a small mention I wanted to make...sorry guys.

But nonetheless, yes, South Park is really sucking these days...I thought it wasn't that bad early on, but as time goes on, their concepts are simply getting stale...I guess that's one of the reasons why it hasn't been on TV around here in months.

I wonder if we'll end up having another great movie critic as Roger Ebert?

abunaidesu
5th April 2013, 08:49 AM
rip old man. :(

Dark Sage
5th April 2013, 08:53 AM
Here, check out what Ebert himself said about South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut. His commentary starts at about the 2:30 mark. Sadly, I couldn't find the complete footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYmtpzmKlR8

My opinion? It's always sucked, and it only sucks worse these days.

DivineAll
5th April 2013, 04:00 PM
Roger Ebert was influential to many other critics in other fields today. Yes, Ebert himself may have been wrong on some criticisms, i.e. the "Are video games art?" criticism, but he was still influential. This guy does a better send off that I ever can:

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nostalgia-critic-farewell-to-roger-ebert-6564382

Telume
5th April 2013, 04:05 PM
iirc, Roger Ebert is basically the Nostalgia Critic's idol. So, it makes sense he does the sendoff he did.

Heald
5th April 2013, 04:28 PM
The funny thing is, Dark Sage, is later, after his initial reaction to early South Park and South Park The Movie, he admitted he misjudged it and that it was in fact a good film. Of course if you don't get the jokes then you probably won't enjoy it.

CaptainJigglypuff
5th April 2013, 07:05 PM
The whole message South Park movie was trying to make I believe is that we alone are responsible for how we let themedia affect us and influence our lives. If we get together and rally against something the media has no control over such as kids sneaking in to watch a movie not suitable for their age and try and boycott it because the kids re-enacted a scene from the movie with disasterous results, it's the parent' fault and NOT the movie. The PARENTS should have monitered their children better and the movie theater should have denied the kids from entering the screen with better attention. And the movie was well scrip[ted and points out a lot of hypocrisy in our society as does the show.

Dark Sage
6th April 2013, 03:35 PM
The funny thing is, Dark Sage, is later, after his initial reaction to early South Park and South Park The Movie, he admitted he misjudged it and that it was in fact a good film. Of course if you don't get the jokes then you probably won't enjoy it.

I get the jokes. I just don't like vulgar humor and racist humor.

Blademaster
7th April 2013, 06:31 PM
I get the jokes. I just don't like humor.

FTFY.

Also sucks about Ebert dying. I didn't much like him but my jaw dropped when I first saw his name next to 'R.I.P.' the other day. :(

Dark Sage
9th April 2013, 09:07 PM
FTFY.

Also sucks about Ebert dying. I didn't much like him but my jaw dropped when I first saw his name next to 'R.I.P.' the other day. :(

I like humor, Blade.

But I don't think you're funny at all.

Btw, by FTFY, I think you wanted me to think you meant "Fixed That For You", but I think you actually meant the other phrase it stands for.

Stop bothering me.

Blademaster
12th April 2013, 01:21 PM
...FTFY has another meaning?

Dark Sage
12th April 2013, 01:27 PM
...FTFY has another meaning?

Replace the T word with "This", keep the Y the same, and replace both F's with a common obscenity.

I'm not going to say it, but that's what some very uncouth people use it for.