PDA

View Full Version : The GOP's Funniest Hits (That Were Not Meant To Be Funny)

Dark Sage
11th April 2013, 11:50 AM
Because Roy is being, well, Roy, on my other post, I think I'd show him a few of the greatest "hits" by some of the folks that people like him admire. Which people like me get a big laugh out of.

All of these folks were "stars" of the CPAC, but we Democrats think that the place had low standards.

Rick Santorum, 2011, while defining marriage:

"Marriage is what marriage is. Marriage was around before government said what it was. It's like going out and saying, 'That tree is a car.' Well, the tree's not a car. A tree's a tree. Marriage is marriage.

"It's like handing up this and saying this glass of water is a glass of beer. Well you can call it a glass of beer, it's not a glass of beer, it's a glass of water. And water is what water is. Marriage is what marriage is.

"I can call this napkin a paper towel, but it is a napkin. Why? Because it is, what it is."

Sure, Rick... Much like how you call yourself a "politician" when you're really a priest in all but name.

Michelle Bachmann has said so many dumb things it's hard to choose one that stands out, but this one from her 2009 House floor argument against climate change was a good one:

"Carbon dioxide, Mister Speaker, is a natural byproduct of nature. Carbon dioxide is natural. It occurs in Earth. It is a part of the regular lifecycle of Earth. In fact, life on planet Earth can't even exist without carbon dioxide. So necessary is it to human life, to animal life, to plant life, to the oceans, to the vegetation that's on the Earth, to the, to the fowl that -- that flies in the air, we need to have carbon dioxide as part of the fundamental lifecycle of Earth."

Try taking high school science class, Michelle.

Here's my favorite quote from NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, spoken this February:

“Hurricanes. Tornadoes. Riots. Terrorists. Gangs. Lone criminals. These are perils we are sure to face—not just maybe. It’s not paranoia to buy a gun. It’s survival. It’s responsible behavior, and it’s time we encourage law-abiding Americans to do just that.”

Most of what he says is far less lucid.

Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas has been in the Senate only a few months, and he's already saying some... Memorable things... After his controversial his cross-examination of then-Defense secretary nominee Chuck Hagel, The New Yorker found this from a 2010 speech.

There were fewer declared Republicans in the faculty [of Harvard Law School] when we were there than Communists! There was one Republican. But there were twelve who would say they were Marxists who believed in the Communists overthrowing the United States government."

Even worse, he later claimed he still meant it.

It's rare that I've wanted a politician dead, but Ann Coulter is an exception. Why? listen to what she said on ABC's "This Week" in September:

"There is the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow laws. We don't owe the homeless. We don't owe feminists. We don't owe women who are desirous of having abortions, or gays who want to get married to one another. That's what civil rights has become for much of the left, they dropped the blacks after five minutes. ... Civil rights are for blacks."

So, Ann, bigotry is all right for everyone except blacks?

Texas Governor Rick Perry in 2011, on his opinon of evolution:

"How old do I think the Earth is? You know what, I don't have any idea. ... I know it's pretty old so it goes back a long long way. I'm not sure anybody actually knows completely and absolutely how long, how old the Earth is.

And he tried to explain what he meant by saying:

"It's a theory that's out there, and it's got some gaps in it. In Texas we teach both creationism and evolution because I figure you're smart enough to figure out which one is right."

Yeah, Rick, you explained what you meant very well.

Former Rep. Allen West has a lot to choose from, but this one stands out:

I believe there's about 78 to 81 members of the Democrat Party who are members of the Communist Party. It's called the Congressional Progressive Caucus."

Man, I'm glad HE didn't win.

“This is not a man who sees America as you see it and how I see America. We see America as the greatest force for good in this world. If we can be that beacon of light and hope for others who seek freedom and democracy and can live in a country that would allow intolerance in the equal rights that again our military men and women fight for and die for for all of us. Our opponent though, is someone who sees America it seems as being so imperfect that he’s palling around with terrorists who would target their own country?”

Who said that? Sarah Palin, speaking of Mr. Obama in 2008. And I trust I need say nothing more.

Of course, Donald Trump makes a fool out of himself all the time. Here's one of his "best" attempts to prove his "birther" claims are legit.

"He may have one, but there is something on that birth certificate. Maybe religion. Maybe it says he's a Muslim. I don't know. Maybe he doesn't want that. Or he may not have one. I will tell you this: if he wasn't born in this country, it's one of the great scams of all time."

If Romney had just listened and told this jerk to go to Hell, maybe he'd have been better off.

Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas was another CPAC all-star with a lot to choose from, but the best was this gem, used to explain the mass shootings.

"You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of terror like this takes place ... We have been at war with the very pillars, the very foundation of this country. ... People say ... where was God in all of this? We've threatened high school graduation participations, if they use God's name, they're going to be jailed ... I mean that kind of stuff. Where was God? What have we done with God? We don't want him around. I kind of like his protective hand being present."

Gohmert went on to support the crazy theory that if the movie theater patrons had been armed, the tragedy would have been averted, and made a similar claim after the Sandy Hook shooting.

Sen. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma wrote a book that claims climate change is "the greatest hoax." Why? In his own words:

"Well actually the Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that 'as long as the earth remains there will be springtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night.' My point is, God's still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous."

Well, at least he's an optimist.

In 2008, President Of The Eagle Forum Phyllis Schlafly said this.

"I think that when you get married you have consented to sex. That's what marriage is all about, I don't know if maybe these girls missed sex ed. That doesn't mean the husband can beat you up, we have plenty of laws against assault and battery. If there is any violence or mistreatment that can be dealt with by criminal prosecution, by divorce or in various ways. When it gets down to calling it rape though, it isn't rape, it's a he said-she said where it's just too easy to lie about it."

The Fridge Horror here is, a woman is denying that marital rape exists. Many victims would argue.

Senator Mike Lee of Utah, in 2011

Congress decided it wanted to prohibit [child labor], so it passed a law -- no more child labor. The Supreme Court heard a challenge to that and the Supreme Court decided a case in 1918 called Hammer v. Dagenhardt. In that case, the Supreme Court acknowledged something very interesting -- that, as reprehensible as child labor is, and as much as it ought to be abandoned -- that's something that has to be done by state legislators, not by Members of Congress. [...]

"This may sound harsh, but it was designed to be that way. It was designed to be a little bit harsh. Not because we like harshness for the sake of harshness, but because we like a clean division of power, so that everybody understands whose job it is to regulate what."

In case you missed it, he's actually suggesting that child labor laws would be unconstitutional. How did this moron get elected?

Finally, I'll include one from Mitt Romney himself:

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. ... All right -- there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing."

His supporters claimed this was a "non-issue". Sadly for him, it proved anything but.

And the GOP says these things day after day, and it's getting worse for them. Just this week, Rove was heckled (and lost one of his biggest funders), Bachmann was booed, a Michigan high school cancelled Santorum's speech, then let him come only after deciding the students would need parental permission to come, the Tea Party's approval rating is still below that of Genghis Khan...

Their chances of a big victory in 2014 are getting less rosy by the day.

Roy Karrde
11th April 2013, 11:53 AM
Really, two pissy political threads in a day, is this Christmas for me or what?

Dark Sage
11th April 2013, 11:55 AM
You expect me to believe you read that entire thing in three minutes??

Btw, I posted the other one yesterday.

Roy Karrde
11th April 2013, 11:56 AM
You expect me to believe you read that entire thing in three minutes??

Btw, I posted the other one yesterday.

Do I really need to? I could go through and find just as many if not more things the Democrats said, it's all about political opinion and link or quote pissing.

Dark Sage
11th April 2013, 11:59 AM
Why don't you read them?

You may not believe some of the things your "idols" have said.

Roy Karrde
11th April 2013, 12:01 PM
Why don't you read them?

You may not believe some of the things your "idols" have said.

Who said all or any of them were my idols? And again what purpose does this topic serve? As I said before I could develop a "Funniest hits" of the Democrats within minutes, when you have politicians all over the country, talking about things 24 hours a day, you are going to get clips. So again, what is the point?

ChobiChibi
11th April 2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah, um... You created this thread just to have a go at Roy over one post he made in a pervious thread? This is beyond petty...

Mikachu Yukitatsu
11th April 2013, 12:20 PM
American politicians using The Bible to back up their opinions, again? Something like this has been put up before, I reckon. Anyways, if I wasn't against having a conversation quote war about religion once again at TPM, I'd make a Mt. Moon topic where you could suggest claims and then somebody would come with Biblical references to support those claims. If you are careful or if you aren't careful, you can use The Bible to back up almost everything. That's what my religion teacher said, and he's a Christian.

Dark Sage
11th April 2013, 12:22 PM
I don't even know what this "Mt. Moon" thing is, unfortunately.

Roy Karrde
11th April 2013, 12:32 PM
I don't even know what this "Mt. Moon" thing is, unfortunately.

Mt Moon is a invite only adult/side forum that is below Misc.

Or... am I not supposed to talk about Mt Moon * Hides from ChobiChibi *

Asilynne
11th April 2013, 12:54 PM
http://baudattitude.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/twilightsparkleheaddesk.gif

please tell me this isn't the election thread revisited...

Roy Karrde
11th April 2013, 12:56 PM

Don't worry, I, and from the looks of it, no one else, is taking the troll bait.

Dark Sage
11th April 2013, 01:35 PM

Look, I really made this post - and the other one - for the same reason people make political cartoons. So to answer your question, no.

And Blademaster says I have no sense of humor.

Magmar
11th April 2013, 02:16 PM
American politicians using The Bible to back up their opinions, again? Something like this has been put up before, I reckon. Anyways, if I wasn't against having a conversation quote war about religion once again at TPM, I'd make a Mt. Moon topic where you could suggest claims and then somebody would come with Biblical references to support those claims. If you are careful or if you aren't careful, you can use The Bible to back up almost everything. That's what my religion teacher said, and he's a Christian.

And Mikachu wins the most sensible post in the thread award! Ding ding ding! Ten points to you, Mikachu.

But no really good quotes regarding the GOP... but both sides have said stupid stuff. I'm just going to run as vice president with RuPaul at this rate.

Dark Sage
11th April 2013, 02:19 PM
Ironically, RuPaul would likely have been better than anything the GOP offered last time...

At least he doesn't deny he's an entertainer who deals in the absurd.

Drago
11th April 2013, 06:36 PM
In case anyone is wondering, this thread is on a very short leash. I don't see any point in it being open, or indeed any of the multitude of threads of a similar nature. If it stays civil, it stays open. Simple.

Dark Sage
13th April 2013, 07:32 PM
This one happened just yesterday, and it puts all of them to shame. Listen up.

Rep. Marlin Stutzman of Indiana spoke on gay marriage:

"That’s exactly right. This is not about marriage, it’s not a civil liberty, it’s an institution, it’s above. It’s something that God has created and is a cornerstone of civil society. It’s vitally important that we protect marriage as something unique."

"Every American should be treated with dignity, with respect, we must protect the civil liberties of every American. But it goes both ways."

Not a civil liberty? Right.

I should also mention that this guy has co-sponsored a bill that would prevent courts from having jurisdiction on cases under the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), as well as a bill to propose an amendment to the United States Constitution to define marriage as a union of a man and a woman.

Interesting idea Mr. Jackass, uh, I mean Mr. Stutzman, but one problem. If we were indeed to adopt such a law which disregards the 6th Amendment completely, who the Hell would be in charge of enforcing it??

Edit: All opinions aside, Mr. Stutzman isn't even correct in his assertion. Merriam-Webster defines "civil liberty" as the "freedom from arbitrary governmental interference (as with the right of free speech) specifically by denial of governmental power and in the United States especially as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights."

The term has even been used frequently by those who support gay marriage, with advocates like the ACLU arguing the right to marry a same-sex partner is a civil right that does not negatively impact marriages between straight partners.

It seems that Mr. Stutzman, much like Ms. Bachmann, actually knows very little about poitical science, something he likely should have boned up on before running for office.

Drago
17th April 2013, 06:24 AM
This thread is pointless and distasteful. It's not really a thread at all, as much as a diatribe. Seriously, write a blog. Take your thoughts to someone who cares.