PDA

View Full Version : what is the matter with the world???

Magmar
15th April 2013, 02:35 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17764747-witnesses-2-explosions-heard-near-finish-line-of-boston-marathon?lite

Terrorist attack an hour from me. I almost went but had thesis stuff to do

Legit freaked out & texting so many people I know there

Witnesses: 2 explosions heard near finish line of Boston Marathon
By Erin McClam, Staff Writer, NBC News

Two explosions went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, witnesses told NBC News.

Video from the finish line showed screams and an enormous cloud of white smoke, and about 20 seconds between the blasts. The Associated Press reported that bloody spectators were being carried to a medical tent that had been set up to care for tired runners.

Jackie Bruno, a reporter for New England Cable News, said on Twitter that she saw people’s legs blown off.

“Runners were coming in and saw unspeakable horror,” she said.

NBC affiliate WHDH said that storefront windows nearby were blown out.

Will Ritter, the spokesman for a Massachusetts Senate candidate, told NBC News that he heard what sounded like two explosions and saw smoke rising near the Boston Public Library. He said that he saw three fire engines and police running to the site.

“We heard two really large explosions in rapid succession, about a second apart from each other,” Ritter said. “Everybody kind of ducked and hit the ground.”

Janet Wu, a reporter for WHDH, told NBC News that she heard two loud explosions. A witness told WHDH that it sounded like cannon fire.

Massachusetts General Hospital said that it had two patients and was expecting more.

The AP reported that runners and race organizers were crying as they fled the scene.

The Boston police bomb squad was en route. Boston police confirmed there was an incident but did not immediately give details. Police, fire and medical technicians were responding. New England Cable News reported that the emergency response came within seconds.

Federal authorities told NBC News that they had no immediate information.

Magmar
15th April 2013, 02:37 PM
my roommate was literally right there soliciting for a veteran's fund and worked the early shift so got home just now... BLOODY HELL i'm freaked out tpm.

Oslo
15th April 2013, 02:52 PM
This is horrifying. One of my closest friends is there with her family to watch her mom run. Keeping my fingers crossed for them and everyone else.

Magmar
15th April 2013, 02:58 PM
I know so many people who work literally right there. One of my friends runs a store a block from where the explosions are.

Keep me, Zak, and all affected in your thoughts as we know so many people who were there work there and live there, literally right where the explosions happened. Still waiting on texts back from friends and family to make sure they were okay. Not knowing when you hear 50+ injured is SCARY.

~Irrational Magmar

kurai
15th April 2013, 03:23 PM
boston globe twitter is reporting many secondary devices being found, and police-controlled detonations following

this is still ongoing; keep in mind https://safeandwell.communityos.org/zf/safesearch/search instead of mobile network usage

Roy Karrde
15th April 2013, 03:54 PM
Boston Fire Department Spokesman says that they are now treating the explosion at the JFK Library as connected with this attack.

Zak
15th April 2013, 04:00 PM
boston globe twitter is reporting many secondary devices being found, and police-controlled detonations following

this is still ongoing; keep in mind https://safeandwell.communityos.org/zf/safesearch/search instead of mobile network usage

Don't they have to register for that to be in the database, or does it already have them?

I'm still waiting to hear from some people.

Every name and matching number I typed into that yielded "0 results". I even tried my own information and the same thing happened. Am I doing something wrong?

Asilynne
15th April 2013, 04:01 PM
OMG!! praying for your family Magmar hope everyone is ok!

Who did it?! Do they know anything yet? That's really messed up, its always this week in April where people have to get crazy what the hell!!! :( *hugs Magmar*

Knight of Time
15th April 2013, 04:08 PM
I've been hearing reports that at least two people died in this horrendous event...with the fact I'm currently listening to a local radio station, I'm crossing my fingers that none of the handful of people from my home province were among the dead or injured...I guess in the next few days we'll learn more about this turn of events, and hopefully learn just who is responsible for this act.

kurai
15th April 2013, 04:10 PM
Authorities ID suspect as Saudi national in marathon bombings, under guard at Boston hospital

Investigators have a suspect — a Saudi Arabian national — in the horrific Boston Marathon bombings, The Post has learned.

Law enforcement sources said the 20-year-old suspect was under guard at an undisclosed Boston hospital.

It was not immediately clear why the man was hospitalized and whether he was injured in the attack or in his apprehension.

The man was caught less than two hours after the 2:50 p.m. bombing on the finish line of the race, in the heart of Boston.

In addition, Boston police have has surveillance video of someone bringing multiple backpacks to blast site, according to CBS News.

Police also confirmed that there was a third explosion, at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. It was not immediately clear how much damage was done or whether it was related to the bombings at the marathon finish line.

The library bombing occurred about 4:30 p.m. and more than a mile from the marathon.

A law enforcement source confirmed to The Post that 12 people were killed and nearly 50 were injured in today's blast.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjY BalO?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

kurai
15th April 2013, 04:14 PM
Don't they have to register for that to be in the database, or does it already have them?

I'm still waiting to hear from some people.

Every name and matching number I typed into that yielded "0 results". I even tried my own information and the same thing happened. Am I doing something wrong?

yes, you (or the other person) has to be registered on the site

it is just a central database

but this is useful now that local cellular service has been turned off - "A law enforcement official says cellphone service has been shut down in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives." http://bigstory.ap.org/article/official-cellphone-service-shut-down-boston

shazza
15th April 2013, 04:28 PM
Wow. :(

Oslo
15th April 2013, 04:43 PM
Authorities ID suspect as Saudi national in marathon bombings, under guard at Boston hospital

Investigators have a suspect — a Saudi Arabian national — in the horrific Boston Marathon bombings, The Post has learned.

Law enforcement sources said the 20-year-old suspect was under guard at an undisclosed Boston hospital.

It was not immediately clear why the man was hospitalized and whether he was injured in the attack or in his apprehension.

The man was caught less than two hours after the 2:50 p.m. bombing on the finish line of the race, in the heart of Boston.

In addition, Boston police have has surveillance video of someone bringing multiple backpacks to blast site, according to CBS News.

Police also confirmed that there was a third explosion, at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. It was not immediately clear how much damage was done or whether it was related to the bombings at the marathon finish line.

The library bombing occurred about 4:30 p.m. and more than a mile from the marathon.

A law enforcement source confirmed to The Post that 12 people were killed and nearly 50 were injured in today's blast.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjY BalO?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

I'm fairly certain this source has been debunked at this point.

The April/Patriot Day connection suggests it's a domestic attack, but that's obviously still conjecture.

Happy that my friend and her family is safe. Her mom had just crossed the finish line before the bomb went off. Positive thoughts to Magmar, Zak and anyone else still waiting for news.

kurai
15th April 2013, 05:05 PM
I'm fairly certain this source has been debunked at this point.

yes, although fox and cnn both reported it, ny post making stuff up seems to be the only source

Magmar
15th April 2013, 05:09 PM
thanks for all the love.. a terrorist attack an hour away is a horrifying, gut-wrenching feeling. my mind is racing and i can't turn it off. i feel vulnerable. i was just there, i went to a wedding on that block a few weeks ago. and now people died there, i just can't

Asilynne
15th April 2013, 05:22 PM
*hugs Barry* I know how you feel, that's how I felt when 9/11 happened...so many people I knew worked in DC. And when we had the DC sniper, I feared for my dad every time we went to go pump gas or even go to the store. But my dad told me something, he said that terrorist want to make the world afraid to go out, they want to make people paralyzed with fear because then they feel like they have power. But hold your head up and don't let them take away your ability to live your life. Don't let them make you afraid.

I know its hard...but don't duck and weave through life expecting a bullet, hold your head high and your back straight like my dad and show them they can't make you afraid. *hugs* I hope this helps at all Barreh <3

Dark Sage
15th April 2013, 05:25 PM
Asilynne, I was IN New York City when 9/11 happened.

What's wrong with the world? I've been asking that for years, and I have yet to get a straight answer from anyone.

People tend to blame others, and offer reasons that make a little sense in retrospect, but never try to offer any real solutions.

Best answer is... The world is full of awful people.

Blademaster
15th April 2013, 06:25 PM
Any reports on who did this yet?

The Saudi claim already got slapped down pretty hard. I know they've got a few suspects, but I haven't seen anything concrete yet. Just conspiracy nuts and media outlets that already made at least one wrong claim.

Jeff
15th April 2013, 06:27 PM
Glad to hear you're ok, Barry.

Like Brandy, that's how I felt during 9/11 and the sniper shootings. Both the Pentagon attack and some of the sniper shootings happened just an hour from where I live. But I didn't let those horrible attacks change my life. I felt sad, but kept going on. As we used to say back then, I didn't let the terrorists win. That's really the best thing we can do in a situation like this.

mattbcl
15th April 2013, 08:14 PM
One little light in all this gloom - I just saw an interview with the elderly gentleman who collapsed to the ground in the initial bomb blast (they'll be running that video clip for the next several days, you're sure to see it if you haven't already). He only got a scratch on his leg, and he's perfectly fine otherwise.

Zak
15th April 2013, 09:03 PM
The number of casualties has risen to 3.

Roy Karrde
15th April 2013, 11:35 PM
Sometimes even in the worst moments, there are people who will show you the good in humanity. This was projected on Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York

Photo by roanzone &bull; Instagram (http://instagram.com/p/YJbQeygCFP#)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th April 2013, 05:24 AM
My condolences. Sports events should be respected, but of course bombing is always bombing, no matter where it takes place.

I heard in the news that there might be an American facet behind this, but I don't know if that information is valid.

CaptainJigglypuff
16th April 2013, 05:29 AM
I don't understand what possible motive there is to the bombings. I mean all the other major bombings have had a political reasoning behind them. Oklahoma City was because of Waco and the OlympicsUnibomber was also political. It's not like any major politian would really be or even run the Marathon, so why attack it?

Magmar
16th April 2013, 07:20 AM
A glimmer of light on the dark day: my first college roommate/friend from high school and his wife were married last year. She had her baby yesterday afternoon. Yay for good news!

Dark Sage
16th April 2013, 07:44 AM
I just heard something on the news.

The Palestinian Taliban has denied responsibility.

Which is very odd, seeing as they're usually the first to claim they are when something like this happens, whether they truly are or not.

Gavin Luper
16th April 2013, 10:43 AM
This was a huge shock to hear about this morning. I still can't fathom the motive behind it all, it's just really random. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected - the victims, their families and loved ones, and all Bostonians and those with a Boston connection, including those in our TPM family who have posted here.

Blademaster
16th April 2013, 03:11 PM
I don't understand what possible motive there is to the bombings.

What I've heard from the rumor mill is that it's potentially some sort of right-wing group/individual looking to exacerbate a few old/current issues like gun control or increased security in the States.

Granted this is merely a rumor going off of what information is currently available about the bombs, which:

(a) killed only three people yet injured well over 100 (last definite I saw was 148 last night)
(b) were built with gunpowder and used ball bearings and shrapnel to do damage
(c) largely didn't work - there were 2 or 3 blasts, whereas bomb squads found a good 5 undetonated packages

Still no suspects from what I've seen, but so far it's looking like this is domestic. No al-Qaeda or North Korea or Martians like some of the more excitable members of the populace are claiming.

I'll keep looking for new info, though. I advise you folks to do the same.

Magmar
19th April 2013, 07:19 AM
Updates:

-For a little while, the media reported that a primary suspect was the missing student from Brown University. I don't know where the media got this from, but they were wrong. In the article I read this morning with my bf, they were saying that a possible link includes a recent incident of undetonated bombs around the campus. Of course this felt weird, because my bf works at Brown running a department, and we had never heard of bombs on campus, but it was really unnerving because, well, he works there and it's about a mile from my house. This was debunked, but the bomb thing? Creepy as hell! It freaked me out because I just applied to jobs there.

-The Massachusetts warzone suburb of Watertown? #TPMUK12 met one of my friends who lives in Watertown when we were in London... she is the girl we bumped into with my fantastic roommate that day! She's okay.

-I can take one of two buses in the morning to go back to my house and get ready if I stay over my bf's house, but this morning I took the route with a longer walk because it comes 15 minutes earlier than the other bus. I noticed the train station had a bunch of state troopers and eyewitness news there, so I got off the bus (you can't take the journalist out of me!). I guess they've suspended all trains to Providence and are searching them for the missing suspect.

Oh my goodness what is happening??? X_X;;

Zak
19th April 2013, 01:10 PM
We're on lockdown now... guess all my plans for tonight are out the window.

Also lol this was posted in reply to me on an IMDb board when posting about everything going on:

You should all be ashamed of yourselves for being scared for your safety because 3 people got killed by a bomb. Americans are truly the biggest bunch of paranoid sissy's. you are 200 times more likely to die from a car accident but yet you think a bomber might have rigged your couch to explode. The OP must live a very sheltered life.

I guess we must all lead very sheltered lives!!

I am glad the non-Americans on this board aren't so damn retarded...

abunaidesu
19th April 2013, 01:30 PM
According to the uncle, the two brothers are "losers" and had trouble integrating into American culture and ended up hating everyone.

Magmar
19th April 2013, 04:26 PM
Oh Zak... Dude, you're in my thoughts. We got this. We're New England and we're neighbors!

But geez, first Sandy Hook, now this...

The_Missing_Link
19th April 2013, 07:26 PM
Whole bunch of people didn't come in to work today. I'd say half couldn't come in because they either lived in the lockdown areas or couldn't use mass transit and the others just used the whole thing as an excuse to stay home :\

At least there was no traffic. I left work around 4:15 and traffic is usually rampant on 95 but it was quiet

kurai
19th April 2013, 07:45 PM
Suspect #1 dead, #2 alive and in custody.

RedStarWarrior
19th April 2013, 08:45 PM
Glad they caught #2, though I wouldn't have minded if he was killed as well.

abunaidesu
19th April 2013, 10:18 PM
Death would be the easy way out for him at this point.

Zak
20th April 2013, 12:53 AM

Yeah, create another Lee Harvey Oswald why don't we.

I think it's pretty crucial to know why he did it, rather than have it remain a mystery. Also know for sure that it's over... after all, for all we know, there's the unlikely possibility he might have backup, or might have left mines planted somewhere.

Telume
20th April 2013, 10:24 AM
Apparently, some politician had to be a douchebag and had this to say:

http://www.boston.com/ae/radio/blog/2013/04/why_are_so_many_bostonians_telling_arkansas_state_ senator_nate_bell_hes_an_idiot.html

What's the matter with the world indeed.
There's always gotta be at least one black sheep, doesn't there?

Dark Sage
20th April 2013, 06:18 PM
He wasn't the only douchebag. New York state Sen. Greg Ball said this in a tweet:

So, scum bag #2 in custody. Who wouldn't use torture on this punk to save more lives?

Some people... Never learn...

pokecat
21st April 2013, 09:56 AM
We already know that at the end this world will end and that is soon already :D

Pokemaster Ash
23rd April 2013, 12:14 AM
Well, this just took an unfortunate turn. Yes, we got one suspect in custody (sorta, he's still healing up) and the other dead (possibly killed by his own brother running him over while escaping).

But...

Our "favorite" nutballs (I'd say worse things about them, but I'd rather not get in trouble), the Westboro Baptist Church (the word Church is used loosely here, imo), have apparently made plans to hold one of their idiotic protests at the funeral of one of the victims of the bombing.

...I wonder if the Boston PD disposed of all of the pressure cooker bombs or if they still have some left...

Roy Karrde
23rd April 2013, 12:27 AM
He wasn't the only douchebag. New York state Sen. Greg Ball said this in a tweet:

Some people... Never learn...

Honestly if we knew this guy had timed explosives set somewhere in Boston, I doubt too many would object to a little water boarding. Thankfully that isn't the situation, making the suggestion of the use of that, rather useless.

Edit: And no this post is not to debate the ethics of waterboarding or anything else, just pointing out my personal view on what could happen during a ticking time bomb scenario.

Dark Sage
23rd April 2013, 09:17 AM
We know your views:

The 2nd Amendment must be followed to the letter.

The 6th... We can fudge that if we have to.

Edit: And btw, Ash, the WBC never showed up. The 1,100-person counter-protest scared them away.

They only show their ugly faces anymore when they aren't the only ones protesting.

Magmar
23rd April 2013, 09:38 AM
Thank Satan the WBC didn't show their ugly head up here.

Speaking of... a bit off-topic, but I've been personally condemned by Margie Phelps! I went to a media conference and students who run newspapers/TV stations at college got to debate the constitution with her. She condemned me to hell after I asked her on stage in front of thousands of people what her goals were and what her ideal America in 5, 10, and 20 years would be.

Wheeeeee going to hell! See you there, Margie!

Dark Sage
23rd April 2013, 10:22 AM
I'd just LOVE the WBC to show up in my neck of the woods. We'd show them what "Brooklyn Rage" means.

Heck, we'd have liked to see those two guys from Boston just try it here. We wouldn't have been cowering in our homes wishing we needed any stupid guns... Ever since 9/11, New York is like it was in Sparticus, you mess with one of us, you mess with us all.

Roy Karrde
23rd April 2013, 03:33 PM
Heck, we'd have liked to see those two guys from Boston just try it here. We wouldn't have been cowering in our homes wishing we needed any stupid guns... Ever since 9/11, New York is like it was in Sparticus, you mess with one of us, you mess with us all.

Hey c'mon.

We have members who live in Boston or know people in Boston. They were not "cowering in our homes" they were forced in there by the Police to conduct this house to house investigation.

Dark Sage
23rd April 2013, 03:53 PM
I agree, Roy.

Tell it to douchebag Mr. Nate Bell.

The reason I'm not cowering is because MY state Representative isn't an idiot like him.

Blademaster
23rd April 2013, 09:48 PM

Death would be the easy way out for him at this point.

Sadly this is an all too standard American sentiment. Land of the free, home of the brave, innocent until proven guilty... Until you're a suspect. At which point, fuck due process.

Dark Sage
24th April 2013, 05:34 AM
For once, Blade, I regret that I have to agree with you. A lot of people ARE like that, sadly.

Due process is fine, unless you don't agree with the verdict. Casey Anthony was acquitted, and people who think she's guilty are online wanting her to suffer fates that would be even worse criminal acts than the one she was tried for. Or wishing her damnation, something which I have always maintained is NOT the right of ANY human to do, and is an abominable and evil thing that only complete monsters would consider doing.

See my post six places above. It's hypocrisy at its worst.

RedStarWarrior
24th April 2013, 07:43 AM
Terrorists do not deserve the same rights as law abiding citizens, in my opinion. However, until proven guilty, he should be afforded them. Any time you infringe upon the most basic rights of other citizens to life, liberty, or property, you forfeit your rights.

Dark Sage
24th April 2013, 08:50 AM
Right, "Innocent Until Proven Guilty". People don't get that.

They claim "being found not guilty does not mean innocent", which is complete BS. If you're never found guilty, they you never lost the "innocent" designation that you previously had.

RedStarWarrior
24th April 2013, 05:49 PM
You are found 'Not Guilty' of the charges levied against you which helps maintain your innocence. It's just common phrase usage so get over it.

Dark Sage
25th April 2013, 09:34 AM
The Sixth Amendment states:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Related clauses in the Constitution include the due process clause of the Fifth and Fourteeth Amendments, which state:

[N]or shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law . . .

And in Article One, Section 9, where Habeas Corpus is explained:

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

The Constitution does not specify Presumption of Innocence specifically, but the 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments have been universally interpreted by all Justices of the Supreme Court as such in all cases regarding it. Furthermore, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 11, states:

"Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which they have had all the guarantees necessary for their defence".

Anyone want to get into why the opposition to gay marriage or some other controversial issue is NOT supported by the document that lays out the laws this nation was founded on? The freedom we fought a war to gain?

To everyone who says "they should be dragged out into the streets and shot" but then tells me that "the President is trying to destroy the Constitution"... Take a high schools civics class, or at least read the document sometime. It's easier than you think.

Blademaster
25th April 2013, 10:22 PM
Terrorists do not deserve the same rights as law abiding citizens, in my opinion. However, until proven guilty, he should be afforded them.

Pretty much this.

Roy Karrde
25th April 2013, 10:29 PM
Personally in terms of terrorists, I wouldn't mind having the police hold off on the Miranda Rights until all necessary military information has been gathered. Saying "You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law". Is basically a restating of the 5th Amendment against self incrimination. As long as there is a lawyer afforded, and the information gathered is not used in court, I see no reason why a terrorist, who is literally a time sensitive asset, should be encouraged to shut up.

RedStarWarrior
26th April 2013, 06:48 AM
@Dark Sage, no one was arguing what the Constitution says. You didn't need to post it for the sake of posting it.

Also, this was a public safety issue.