PDA

View Full Version : CISPA Internet blackout, April 22, 2013

DivineAll
20th April 2013, 01:34 AM
So... does anyone remember a certain law called SOPA? You know the Act where the government basically Stops Online Privacy? Well... it's sequel time! CISPA, a.k.a. the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Intelligence_Sharing_and_Protection_Act), was passed by the White House on April 18th, 2013 and well... it's the same deal as last year essentially: several sites will perform a blackout in protest to the law and TPM should participate in it as well and everyone should spread the word, even if they're not living in the U.S.

The battle for Internet freedom still continues!

BTPoke
20th April 2013, 02:06 AM
CISPA, a.k.a. the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Intelligence_Sharing_and_Protection_Act), was passed by the White House on April 18th, 2013

I think you made a bit of an error, here. By "passed by the house," they mean the House of Representatives passed it, and the house of reps is only half of congress. The bill still has to be passed by the Senate, and even after that the President has to sign it for the bill to become law.

Furthermore, this bill went through congress once before, and the senate didn't pass it then. The house of reps has simply reintroduced it. I doubt the senate will pass the bill, and even if they do, I doubt obama will sign the bill.

DivineAll
20th April 2013, 02:41 AM
I think you made a bit of an error, here. By "passed by the house," they mean the House of Representatives passed it, and the house of reps is only half of congress. The bill still has to be passed by the Senate, and even after that the President has to sign it for the bill to become law.

Furthermore, this bill went through congress once before, and the senate didn't pass it then. The house of reps has simply reintroduced it. I doubt the senate will pass the bill, and even if they do, I doubt obama will sign the bill.

Still... the point of the matter is if the government didn't learn from last year's blockade... then we should remind then why it's such a bad idea in the first place.

CaptainJigglypuff
20th April 2013, 04:57 AM
Really?! April 22?! MY birthday?! Are you telling me that what few people I have in contact with WON'T be using the internet and wishing me a happy birthday? Sorry if this sounds like span. It is not and I am upset people chose this date. It's a personal thing. Now I'm going to be sick AND alone for my birthday. And I thought having my grandpa's funeral on my birthday was bad....

Heald
20th April 2013, 06:06 AM
Don't count on Obama. I don't think a single US President since WW2 has failed to sign a bill passed by both Houses that restricts individual and personal freedoms.

Lady Vulpix
20th April 2013, 10:08 AM
CaptainJigglypuff, I hope you're joking because this is important. If CISPA is put into motion, the US Government will be allowed to view everything you post anywhere on the Internet, regardless of privacy settings or any claims whatsoever.

If it helps, we can send you advance birthday greetings the day before.

Telume
20th April 2013, 10:29 AM
This isn't gonna pass, count on it, Obama himself already voiced his opposition to the bill.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/16/4231760/white-house-would-oppose-cispa-in-current-form

http://www.linuxtoday.com/upload/obama-threatens-veto-against-cispa-unless-changed-130416232008.html

Dark Sage
20th April 2013, 06:11 PM
Don't count on Obama. I don't think a single US President since WW2 has failed to sign a bill passed by both Houses that restricts individual and personal freedoms.

Want a bet? You don't give Mr. Obama enough credit.

Besides, this won't pass the Senate. The Gun Control Bill would have passed if the Republicans allowed a vote. I doubt they'll have much luck getting a bill passed there that they support.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st April 2013, 12:29 AM
Really?! April 22?! MY birthday?! Are you telling me that what few people I have in contact with WON'T be using the internet and wishing me a happy birthday? Sorry if this sounds like span. It is not and I am upset people chose this date. It's a personal thing. Now I'm going to be sick AND alone for my birthday. And I thought having my grandpa's funeral on my birthday was bad....

Happy Birthday in advance! I mean, my condolences on your grandfather's death and everything, but could you think about it this way: Your Birthday is the day when we show our opposition to laws that would harm our privacy and limit using copyright material in our sites. Even your own TPM name has a trademark in it, Jigglypuff. You should consider it a special day.

BTPoke
21st April 2013, 07:26 AM
Well, Obama himself already said that he would veto the bill in its current state, and his advisers told him to do the same thing.
Considering how hard it is to override a presidential veto, that bill has a LONG way to go if it ever hopes to become law.

And now I feel redundant, 'cause I realized that telume said pretty much the same thing xD

Lady Vulpix
21st April 2013, 09:23 AM
Well, let's hope it never reaches the end of that long way.

Happy Birthday in advance, CaptainJigglypuff! And RedStarWarrior too!

RedStarWarrior
23rd April 2013, 01:15 AM
Being inconvenienced on my birthday over a bill that won't succeed is annoying.

Lady Vulpix
23rd April 2013, 11:57 AM
I'm sorry. But it would be a lot more annoying if it did succeed.

Charles Legend
23rd April 2013, 01:01 PM
Gabi, you do know there is a global war on terror going on and this but is a tool that could help the FBI protect the world from slime balls like those two jerk face idiots who planted bombs in the Boston marathon, the way I see it its better for us to lose our privacy to be sacrificed then to have terrorist groups have a safe heaven on the internet to plan attacks!

~Charles Legend

Blademaster
23rd April 2013, 09:13 PM
those two jerk face idiots who planted bombs in the Boston marathon

Friendly reminder that the official story is full of more holes than Swiss cheese at a Mississippi shooting gallery during black history month. Two kids with two backpacks containing four two bombs, one of them allegedly getting shot in the throat and then being found with no injuries on him, that Saudi guy being let go and deported despite having connections to some VERY unsavory people back home, etc etc etc.. Don't be so quick to parrot what you hear on the news when so much of it contradicts itself.

the way I see it its better for us to lose our privacy to be sacrificed then to have terrorist groups have a safe heaven on the internet to plan attacks!

http://rasica.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/ben-franklin-on-liberty-and-security-05182009.jpg

RedStarWarrior
24th April 2013, 07:53 AM
Blade, this is not the thread to discuss conspiracy theories.

Lady Vulpix
24th April 2013, 09:23 AM
In any case, terrorists don't post their plans on Facebook, and I doubt they even send any plain-text e-mails with sensitive information. I think it would make sense to let the FBI view the private data of a wanted/suspected criminal for whom they have a search warrant. But NOT everyone else. That would remove our privacy and give us nothing good in return. We don't know what they would do with the data they collect on us. And even if they never really looked at it - which I doubt, since what government would not use such a vast information source to their advantage? - if a terrorist somehow managed to hack into their system (no system is 100% secure), then that terrorist would have everyone's personal information! Imagine the damage they could cause.

DarkestLight
24th April 2013, 04:43 PM
Friendly reminder that the official story is full of more holes than Swiss cheese at a Mississippi shooting gallery during black history month. .

>.> No. Redo. Use a better analogy too.

Lady Vulpix
25th April 2013, 08:47 AM
Yes, that's an awful analogy. I'd say something like "Swiss cheese which has been use for machine gun target practice".

Dark Sage
25th April 2013, 09:15 AM
Blade says things like that all the time. I have no idea why he's still allowed to keep saying them here.

Jeff
25th April 2013, 09:23 AM
The analogy doesn't work anyway.

Swiss cheese is white.

OK, I'm done here.:P

Lady Vulpix
25th April 2013, 09:40 AM
Many kinds of cheese are made in Switzerland. They must make Gruyere too, which is the kind of cheese I was thinking of.

Anyway, I do not approve of the things Blade says, but I don't think he's cross the line far enough to merit a ban either, so... I'm basically trying to figure out how much longer it will take to reach the final straw. In this case I just hadn't noticed earlier, but yes, this was pretty bad.

And now I'm going to post something at the Mod team discussion thread which has a lot to do with this.

Edit: I was the last person to post on that thread, so I've edited my last post in there to add what I wanted to say.

Blademaster
25th April 2013, 09:47 PM
Blade, this is not the thread to discuss conspiracy theories.

Sorry boss, got a little too hotheaded there. Will try and keep it better controlled in the future.

Blade says things like that all the time. I have no idea why he's still allowed to keep saying them here.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26031)

RedStarWarrior
26th April 2013, 06:52 AM
This thread is not to be turned into a discussion of Blade's awful analogies. I will delete any future posts that references this, including yours, Gabi (also, Swiss cheese is Swiss cheese; a type, not the country that produces it...)

Lady Vulpix
26th April 2013, 02:59 PM
OK, back on topic, look at this (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57581161-38/u.s-gives-big-secret-push-to-internet-surveillance/)! Apparently CISPA was just an attempt to legally justify what they were already doing!

RedStarWarrior
26th April 2013, 03:45 PM
I'd also like to note that this bullshit bill won't pass for another reason; it completely compromises any sort of privacy on social networking sites by allowing employers to request your passwords as an enforceable requirement to maintain or acquire employment.

It also paves the way for corporations to buy and your data without consent.

Yeah, won't pass...

Blademaster
26th April 2013, 06:45 PM
OK, back on topic, look at this (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57581161-38/u.s-gives-big-secret-push-to-internet-surveillance/)! Apparently CISPA was just an attempt to legally justify what they were already doing!

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!