PDA

View Full Version : The Cheese Thread

Lady Vulpix
26th April 2013, 09:05 AM
We have so many serious topics, I think we could use a more light-hearted one. The purpose of this thread is to talk about cheese, its varieties, the kinds you like and anything cheese-related.

This was inspired by a set of posts on another thread. While the posts were cheese-related, the thread wasn't, so I thought it would be best to continue the conversation on a separate thread.

Thanks to RedStarWarrior, I learned that there is a kind of cheese named Swiss Cheese. Until now I thought the term referred to any kind of cheese made in Switzerland (I still think the term is ambiguous, though). I still don't know what this cheese is like, except that it's apparently white and has no holes.

However, Google (https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=Swiss+cheese&client=firefox-a&hs=NJ5&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rIh6UY7WEYPq8QSZkYGoCQ&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=891) seems to agree with the other concept.

http://kitchentalks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Kitchen-Talks-Swiss-Cheese-3.jpg

So, my first questions are: what does this other Swiss cheese look like? What does it taste like? What does it feel like? Where can you find it? Is there any popular brand where you live?

I'd also like to know about other cheeses you like and in general the cheeses you can find in yor respective areas. If you're interested, I can talk a bit about Argentinean cheeses too (cheeses made in Argentina, not a particular kind of cheese).

Mikachu Yukitatsu
26th April 2013, 09:20 AM
Kudos for this thread, it will surely fill up holes in our cheese knowledge ;)

I like Finnish cheese. My favourite is called Finlandia (http://www.valio.fi/tuotteet/juustot/valio-finlandia-2/).

Lady Vulpix
26th April 2013, 09:38 AM
Oh, we have that too! Several varieties, even!

http://s16.postimg.org/w1m44z7ol/Finlandia.png

And we have other white cheeses, some softer than that. This is one of my favorites:

http://www.iaacobdeli.com/image/cache/data/productos/foto219-500x500.jpg

But we have no cottage cheese anymore. That's one kind of cheese I really like, but we haven't had it in Argentina for years.

BTPoke
26th April 2013, 09:46 AM
my wisconsin-bred mind enjoys this thread :3

Mikachu Yukitatsu
26th April 2013, 09:54 AM
I also like Luostari (http://www.valio.fi/tuotteet/juustot/valio-luostari-2/), directly translated as 'Monastery' and Ritari (http://www.valio.fi/tuotteet/juustot/valio-ritari/), translated as 'Knight'. Knight even comes in a handy package. Finlandia and Monastery used to have that too but I don't get why not anymore.

Magmar
26th April 2013, 10:13 AM
Swiss cheese is a bit sharp, but doesn't really taste very much like any other cheese I can think of. It's got a flat surface (despite it being pocked like the Moon), is a bit tougher to chew, and is tougher to cut through than other cheeses. It's not very soft.

I'd like to think we have most cheeses where I am. I love pecorino romano; it's like Parmesan in the can, but it's usually sold fresh and is a bit sharper. Very light and fluffy.

My favorite cheese, however, is Muenster. It's a bit creamy, but is sharp without leaving an aftertaste like cheddar.

I also love pepper Jack cheese. Pepper jack is usually spicy and often has stuff in it, like red pepper and garlic. It's about the consistency of your standard block of cheddar. Very delicious.

I also love provolone, especially fresh provolone from the local Italian bakeries. Cut it into cubes and serve with rolled prosciutto and capicola. Mmmmm! The cubes of provolone can also be rolled up with prosciutto and stuffed into pickled cherry peppers, drizzled with olive oil and black pepper, and served chilled. They make a great companion to an antipasto salad and aforementioned meat platter. The salad, which is usually romaine lettuce, green olives, artichoke hearts and pickled bell peppers and drizzled with a Balsamic vinaigrette, is so delicious with provolone cheese. Mmmm!

http://www.casellasdeli.com/_Media/antipasto_italiano_med.jpeg
This image is the closest I could find to a proper antipasto. Restaurant-style and meddigan (American) style just don't do it right!

Finally, one of my favorite snacks is to put a bit of Philadelphia cream cheese on a celery stalk and sprinkle it with paprika. YUM! I think I'm going to make some right now.

Oslo
26th April 2013, 10:55 AM
I'm mostly indifferent to a lot of cheeses, but I could gorge on bocconcini until my stomach split. Sometimes I smother them in oil, vinegar, salt and pepper with some basil/tomato and just cram that whole delicious mess into my mouth. It's heaven. Too expensive to keep around regularly, though.

Flavoured havarti is pretty good and fresh cheese curds are always a treat. Cream cheese makes me vomit uncontrollably. :/ Blaargh. That stuff.

Jeff
26th April 2013, 11:12 AM
What a cheesy thread. But a good topic for me since I like making sandwiches.

My favorites would have to be pepperjack, muenster, and provolone. There's one turkey sandwich I make that has pepperjack and chipoltle mayo on it. I once considered adding jalapenos, but I figured it's spicy enough as it is.:P

Dark Sage
26th April 2013, 11:13 AM
Vermont sharp white cheddar, especially the type made by Cracker Barrel.

I love that stuff, especially with Triscuits.

ChobiChibi
26th April 2013, 01:48 PM
Strong cheddar. Actually from Cheddar. Nothing beat it.

I'm not a fan of "fancy cheese". Anything really soft is not cool. Just cheddar.

Lady Vulpix
26th April 2013, 03:06 PM
I like soft cheeses. Hard ones? Not that much, but they're OK if grated: Romanito, Reggianito, Provolone (I like grilled Provolone too). I can't stand blue cheese. Cheddar yes, but I've never found a strong cheddar. Brie and Camambert yes, as long as the outside layer doesn't stink.

I also like creamy cheese a lot (I'm not sure if this kind of cheese exists in other countries, it's yellow and quite soft, mildly flavored and usually melts easily). Mozzarella not so much but it's OK in a pizza. And I love the homemade varieties, especially homemade goat cheese, but I can't get them in Buenos Aires, so I buy some whenever I go to Salta.

I occasionally eat semi-soft cheeses like Gruyere and Pategras, but they're not among my favorites. Although molten Mar del Plata cheese goes very well with in a toasted sandwich.

RedStarWarrior
26th April 2013, 03:38 PM
I am of like mind as Magmar. Muenster (at least the American version) is by far my favorite. I'm not the biggest fan of most varieties of Swiss because the particular notes give a bad aftertaste in my opinion.

CaptainJigglypuff
26th April 2013, 03:51 PM
Can I haz CHEEZBURGER? :3

Magmar
26th April 2013, 05:02 PM
Another cheese I love... paneer! Mmm goat cheese. Saag paneer is one of my favorite dishes.

Dark Sage
26th April 2013, 05:08 PM
Another cheese I love... paneer! Mmm goat cheese. Saag paneer is one of my favorite dishes.

I remember going to a place that had brunost, Norwegian goat cheese. Tasted more like candy than cheese.

Blademaster
26th April 2013, 06:25 PM
Italian heritage here. Go ricotta or go home.

Dark Sage
26th April 2013, 06:36 PM

And parmesan. Both great with pasta.

Blademaster
26th April 2013, 06:52 PM
Ricotta? Best used with pasta?

Get real homes. I'm talking CANNOLIS. Best damn snack to come out of Italy. I used to go to a place where they made 'em with ricotta and chocolate chips.

http://yummly-recipeimages-compressed.s3.amazonaws.com/Chocolate-Chip-Cannoli-Filling-_W_Kahlua-_-Creme-De-Cacao_-RecipeZaar-59671-219482.730x410.jpg

CHOCOLATE CHIPS, BRIAN. *MIXED* WITH CHEESE. EVEN AMERICA NEVER THOUGHT TO MAKE SOMETHING SO BRILLIANT.

Dark Sage
26th April 2013, 06:53 PM
I love cannoles, but they don't love me.

WAY too many calories.

CaptainJigglypuff
26th April 2013, 08:19 PM
Wherez my Cheezburger I azked forz? :3

Pokemaster Ash
26th April 2013, 11:34 PM
Well, I do enjoy some cheese. Muenster is a favorite of mine to just munch on, although occasionally I'll sneak a taste of some cheese I'm using to cook with (generally cheddar or mozzarella in that instance, occasionally provolone).

I do like cream cheese on a bagel or something toasted in the morning, but I don't often get that chance. And then there's cream cheese icing on things like cinnamon buns...

Cheddar, when I have it on-hand (usually not that often), goes great with a burger or sometimes I'll throw some in to add to the taste of some mac and cheese (NOT the blue box in these instances, I wouldn't waste it on that). I wish I knew how to make a good cheddar sauce so I could make actual homemade mac and cheese (I'm not much of a cook, but it's one thing I'd sure like to try), or at the very least maybe to just pour over fries (cheese fries...man, that can't be good for you...)

My big weakness is probably mozzarella. I love adding extra mozzarella to a frozen pizza before I cook it, occasionally I'll throw a little in along with a lot of parmesan with pasta. And fried mozzarella sticks...oh man. They can't be good for you, but boy do they taste good.

DivineAll
26th April 2013, 11:54 PM
Curious question: does anyone actually like Limburger?

DarkestLight
27th April 2013, 12:06 AM
<--This guy.

classy_cat18
27th April 2013, 12:24 AM
I LOVE CHEESE.

Op2Id_Fp8oo

But seriously, my favorite is Pepper Jack. I go for that first when I see a party platter. And I used to get some Laughing Cow cheese wedges, which make a good snack with Ritz crackers.

Dark Sage
27th April 2013, 08:22 AM

I think it's an "acquired taste", whatever that means.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
27th April 2013, 09:16 AM
Mmmm. Cheddar. Reminds me of one of my favourite breakfast. I take two slices of toast, dip them into a mix of egg and milk, then roast them on a frying pan and lastly, put cheddar cheese between them. I might post a picture of my meal if I happen to make it next week.

kainashi
27th April 2013, 10:03 AM
pepper jack is the superior cheese. followed by mozzarella. :cool2:

Magmar
27th April 2013, 10:30 AM

Mmm, rigawt'. So good! Have you had pastiera? Ricotta + rice + orange rinds + eggs + (whatever else nonna puts in there) = OMG SO GOOD AND GLUTEN FREE TOO. :D

CaptainJigglypuff
27th April 2013, 04:06 PM
You know what's REALLY good? The mixed berry flavored cream cheese. It's SOOOOOO good on it's own. I've eaten containers of it plain before and literally was licking the container!

Blademaster
27th April 2013, 06:47 PM
Mmm, rigawt'. So good! Have you had pastiera? Ricotta + rice + orange rinds + eggs + (whatever else nonna puts in there) = OMG SO GOOD AND GLUTEN FREE TOO. :D

That sounds.... ...healthy, actually. And kinda good. Like a rice omelet.

Brb, Googling.

RedStarWarrior
29th April 2013, 07:48 AM
The herb and vegetable cream cheeses are fucking awesome! Also, with regards to such, sundried tomato or dill are the best!

As far as snack cheese, Colby jack isn't bad either.

Lastly, to show my Canadians some love, nothing beats some fresh cheese curd in a poutine.

Lady Vulpix
29th April 2013, 09:42 AM
The herb and vegetable cream cheeses are fucking awesome!I would have phrased it differently, but I agree. :)

I forgot to include Fontina in the list of cheeses that I like. I don't eat it a lot, but I like it. And I like Ricotta too. My dad once made Ricotta with lemon, it was good even if you could only use it for sweet meals.

CaptainJigglypuff
29th April 2013, 06:14 PM
Anyone remember the mouse's name from Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers name? I know it was M Jack but I can't remember what the M was. I want to say Montreal or Monteray but it sounds wrong. All I remember he would literally go insane as soon as he smelled cheese to the point I believe the others had to either knock him out or tie him up to prevent him from causing damage. I haven't seen the show since I was probably 8.

Telume
29th April 2013, 06:20 PM
I looked it up, it is indeed Monterey Jack.

CaptainJigglypuff
29th April 2013, 06:30 PM
^Thanks. I thought that was his name but I also kept thinking "Montreal Jack" for some odd reason. Maybe because they called him Monty on the show.

RedStarWarrior
30th April 2013, 08:05 AM
Well, I assumed he was named after the actual cheese.

Dark Sage
30th April 2013, 08:50 AM
Ironically, while he was a conoseur of cheese in every sense of the term, one type he never even mentioned was the type he was named after. In fact, in one episode, his absolute favorite cheese was brie '87 (as in a brie with a vintage of 1987).

Mikachu Yukitatsu
30th April 2013, 09:48 AM
My Cheddar Bread from this morning.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Mikayuta/30042013100b_zps43c9df0b.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/Mikayuta/media/30042013100b_zps43c9df0b.jpg.html)