PDA

View Full Version : Because It's the Cup

MToolen
29th April 2013, 07:31 AM
The Stanley Cup Playoffs are here! I'm not sure who here is a hockey fan, but I'd think it's more than just me. So who ya got?

I hope my hometown Blues get far, but it just doesn't seem like a good fit. I do like that they've stepped up their defensive efforts as a team, but there aren't many bona fide star offensive players out there. And they start this year's playoffs like they ended last year's: against the defending champs, the Kings. Here's hoping this young team has grown enough to not get swept in the first round.

RedStarWarrior
29th April 2013, 07:33 AM
Well, the Capitals came back from a horrible season start to win our division. I'm hoping we do well against the Rangers in our upcoming series.

CaptainJigglypuff
29th April 2013, 07:58 AM
Pittsburgh has a good chance this year.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
29th April 2013, 09:11 AM
Well, from our point of view, it has always been an issue that the NHL is still going on and the best players are taken there while we think they should contribute in World Championship. The Finns almost hope some teams to drop off so that the key players would be available in our native team.

What regards this year, this year's Team Finland has already been decided and they won't make any major changes easily. As far as I know, there are no NHL stars at all while for instance Russia has all the important players.

I know, my approach to the subject was a bit annoying, but I hope you enjoy the cup and the game stays clean. Ice Hockey has been given a bit negative ring here lately because we had a huge scandal involving provocative and misbehaving coaches.

MToolen
29th April 2013, 12:38 PM
Well, from our point of view, it has always been an issue that the NHL is still going on and the best players are taken there while we think they should contribute in World Championship. The Finns almost hope some teams to drop off so that the key players would be available in our native team.

To be honest, I'd be more than happy with that. It seems silly that it will be in the low 80s F tomorrow evening when the puck drops. Such is the way of most major American sports: baseball stretches into November, football into February, and now hockey into June. But American TV deals fail to factor in little more than how much money they can make off of a sport, and I can't say I blame them for that either.

Drago
29th April 2013, 12:58 PM
For the first time in three seasons, I have little to no faith in my Canucks. They've been more of a mess this year, and their last two infamous playoff meltdowns have shaken my confidence. They'll probably get to the second or even third round, but they're not a serious threat, unfortunately. I think their time near the top is coming to an end. :(

I'd like for the Leafs to do well, but they're even less credible than the 'nucks. No, this postseason I think I'm following the Penguins. I'd love to see Iggy finally hoist the Cup he so deserves.

kainashi
29th April 2013, 04:29 PM
red wings made it 22 straight years. hopefully they give the ducks hell! :cool2:

Pokemaster Ash
30th April 2013, 10:58 PM
The Red Wings were lucky to keep that streak going. For a while it looked like they were going bye-bye before the puck dropped on the quarterfinals.

Just watched the Blackhawks win a nail-biter in OT against the Wild. I'm surprised their backup goalie (who hadn't played at all since January) was able to rise to the occasion like he did. I do see the Blackhawks advancing past the first round (something that had been bothering them the past two seasons, in part by some very cheap tricks the Coyotes pulled against them last year), but it'll be interesting to see what luck of the draw gives them beyond that.

I'll say this, it's nice to see a fair amount of Canadian representation in the playoffs this year (between Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal), though I kinda wish the Jets had made it. It is their national sport (like baseball and football are here in the US). Also all of the Original Six (Blackhawks, Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, Canadiens, Maple Leafs) are in this year as well. Should make for some interesting hockey this postseason.

I do find it really dumb how they're re-aligning the divisions next year, though. They could have just swapped the Jets for the Blue Jackets and that would have been fine. Either that or just put the Jets in the West and bring back other old teams like the Nordiques or something to even up the East.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
10th May 2013, 07:32 AM
I can't believe I'm watching NHL right now! I didn't know I have the access to the channel Nelonen Pro now! It's Vancouver vs. San Jose. The players look stronger than in our league and the game seems less fast-paced. In my opinion this resembles more American Football, but perhaps it's just me. The broadcast isn't direct.

Drago
10th May 2013, 05:05 PM
Mika, I'm sorry you had to watch one of the pathetic displays Vancouver put on the ice this postseason. I knew they weren't good enough to win, but a sweep in round one? Pathetic. It's time to shake this franchise up, rather than watch ourselves get slowly worse each year.

Pokemaster Ash
10th May 2013, 10:47 PM
Well, Vancouver isn't the only team so far making early vacation plans, although they made the fastest exit from the postseason (the only team to be swept). So far Minnesota and Montreal are also gone (the latter upset by Ottawa and the former dispatched in 5 by the Chicago Blackhawks).

It is VERY interesting to watch the Islanders giving the Penguins so much trouble, same for the Maple Leafs still holding on against the Bruins. Now if only the Rangers and Red Wings would go away... (Although if they upset the Ducks, then they could get pounded by the Blackhawks)

MToolen
11th May 2013, 01:16 AM
The Blues just went down in 6 to the Kings, but in agonizing fashion. They won the first two home games by the skins of their teeth, then got blown out in two at LA. The Kings rode their momentum into a win at STL Wednesday and just kept the streak going at LA tonight. The Blues just could not score and play defense at the same time. They have the talent from what I can see, but they need better execution.

Well, there's always college football season. Someone beat the Blackhawks in the finals for me, will you?

Drago
11th May 2013, 04:15 AM
In true Canadian fashion, I am now a Leafs fan for the rest of the playoffs.

kainashi
11th May 2013, 05:48 PM
Well, Vancouver isn't the only team so far making early vacation plans, although they made the fastest exit from the postseason (the only team to be swept). So far Minnesota and Montreal are also gone (the latter upset by Ottawa and the former dispatched in 5 by the Chicago Blackhawks).

It is VERY interesting to watch the Islanders giving the Penguins so much trouble, same for the Maple Leafs still holding on against the Bruins. Now if only the Rangers and Red Wings would go away... (Although if they upset the Ducks, then they could get pounded by the Blackhawks)would be nice to see one final playoff series between the blackhawks and red wings before the wings move east. :cool2:

CaptainJigglypuff
11th May 2013, 10:16 PM
Penguins beat the Islanders! I think my prediction of Pittsburgh being in the Stanley Final will happen.

Pokemaster Ash
13th May 2013, 11:26 PM
Well, this just got ugly... Maple Leafs had a 4-2 lead in the last 2 minutes of the game...only to wind up losing 5-4 in OT to the Bruins in Game 7. In the meantime the Ducks and Captials both wind up getting upset in 7 games

So, for the second round of the playoffs, we now have the following:
Detroit Red Wings [7] vs. Chicago Blackhawks [1]
San Jose Sharks [6] vs. Los Angeles Kings [5]
Ottawa Senators [7] vs. Pittsburgh Penguins [1]
New York Rangers [6] vs. Boston Bruins [4]

......man, Canada got the shaft BADLY here, didn't they? Went from four teams in to just one. No comment on the Red Wings and Rangers still being alive.....but boy are the Red Wings gonna wish they lost now.

kurai
14th May 2013, 09:45 AM
toronto demonstrated, once again, a world-class capacity for throwing playoff games :wave:

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th May 2013, 10:02 AM
Minnesota was dropped and we got Mikachu Granlund to our team :p I'm a little worried that he's too tired. His performance was mediocre from what I have heard so perhaps he's willing to show some skills though.

Drago
14th May 2013, 05:18 PM
Bruins. Perpetual destroyers of Canadian dreams. How does Milan Lucic sleep at night?

RedStarWarrior
15th May 2013, 01:41 AM
Fucking Caps always choke.

Pokemaster Ash
29th May 2013, 10:15 PM
Well, that was intense. The semi-finals FINALLY over with some pretty dramatic series playing out...mostly in the West.

Took Game 7 for the Kings to beat the Sharks, who unfortunately crumbled under the pressure after pwning the Canucks and showing bursts of promise in this round. Ultimately the defending Stanley Cup champs prevailed.

And just ending in OT (after a REALLY damn horrible call by the refs near the end of regulation), the Blackhawks come back to stomp the Red Wings out of the playoffs decisively after falling behind 3-1 in the series.

On a less dramatic note, Penguins pwn the Senators and the Bruins beat the Rangers.

So here's how the conference finals will stack up:

West: Los Angeles Kings [5] vs. Chicago Blackhawks [1]
East: Boston Bruins [4] vs. Pittsburgh Penguins [1]

...hey, these teams look familiar. Haven't all four of them hoisted the Stanley Cup recently? (More specifically: we've got the last four years' worth of champs here in this round. This will be good...)

Drago
30th May 2013, 08:26 AM
That is something else... I can't think of the last time the conference finals (in any sport) came down to the last four championship teams. This is exactly how it should be! I wouldn't be surprised if any of these teams end up winning it all, though I guess I'm least expecting for it to be the Blackhawks.

Still pulling for Iggy and the Penguins. :D

kainashi
30th May 2013, 10:30 AM
with my red wings out i'll be rooting for quick and the kings now. :D

Pokemaster Ash
8th June 2013, 11:05 PM
Wow, what a Conference Final. We had the Boston Bruins completely dismantling the East favorite Pittsburgh Penguins in a clean 4-0 sweep to win the Eastern Conference title, and just now in a Double Overtime thriller the Blackhawks dethrone the LA Kings with a Hat Trick by Patrick Kane to take the series 4-1.

And now, the first Original Six Stanley Cup Final matchup since 1979:

Boston Bruins [E4] vs. Chicago Blackhawks [W1]

...let the fun begin

Drago
9th June 2013, 04:02 AM
Ugh. I'm cursed. Go Blackhawks.

MToolen
9th June 2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for keeping the thread afloat, Pokemaster Ash. I repeat my sentiment: the Hawks need to lose.

kainashi
9th June 2013, 03:53 PM
go bruins!

Pokemaster Ash
12th June 2013, 11:57 PM
Oh man, what a game... After trailing 2-0 early on, the Blackhawks rally back against the Bruins to force OT where the score remained 3-3...

...until Triple Overtime

The Blackhawks ultimately outlast the Bruins in Game 1, winning 4-3 in 3OT and taking a 1-0 lead in the series. Talk about an endurance test... *whew*

Game 3.....er, 2 (feels like 3) will be Saturday.

6/19 EDIT: Okay, it got a little bit rough for the Blackhawks there. In Game 2, they lose a close one in OT, and the Game 3 curse lingers as they wind up shut out and pretty much embarassed. However they bounced back in style, winning a shoot out in Boston in OT (does this really need to happen every time?) by a score of 6-5 to even the series 2-2 as the scene shifts back to Chicago.

Now it's going to get really interesting...

Game 5 will be Saturday.

Game 5 edit: And the Blackhawks are now one win away from reclaiming the Stanley Cup after defeating the Bruins 3-1. The Blackhawks came out fired up in this one. However the third period saw the departure of Patrice Bergeron and Jonathan Toews from the game, the former sent to a local hospital for evaluation while the latter remained on the Blackhawks' bench, seemingly feeling the effects of a hit to the head inflicted by Boychuk in the second period.

Game 6 is Monday night in Boston, and the Cup will be in attendance. Will Boston defend, or will its home be Sweet Home Chicago once again?

Game 6 EDIT:

BLACKHAWKS WIN!!!!!

The Chicago Blackhawks are the Stanley Cup Champions!