PDA

View Full Version : Design New Moves And Abilities

Mikachu Yukitatsu
30th April 2013, 02:24 AM
As we stand on the threshold of a new Pokemon Generation, brand new Moves and Abilities are something to look forward to. Many of us have created Fakemon at some point but what about fake moves or fake abilities? I don't think this question has been arisen ever before. So has any of you ever been inspired to invent your own Moves or Abilities? And who knows, maybe some of those will come true when Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are released?

CaptainJigglypuff
30th April 2013, 04:52 AM
I have some ideas!

Moves:

Cold Stare (Ice): User gives its opponent an icy stare that causes freezing if successful. Basically an Ice version of Glare.

False Security (Dark): User pretends to act friendly and causes neither side to attack for a turn. At the start of the next turn, the user strikes and causes damage and flinching to its opponent. Think of this move like a more useful Fake Out but with maybe 10 PP.

Time Travel (Psychic): User goes back in time to the start of the battle and resets everything except the PP used by using the move. All fainted Pokemon are revived fully. This move can only be used once during the battle. Only Dialga and Celebi can learn this move.

Bad Breath (Dark): User blows a foul breath of air onto its opponent that always causes damage and a status effect. Very rarely may it cause a OHKO. Effect chances are as follows: 5% OHKO or Toxic effect, 10% Burned or Paralyzed, 15% Confused, and 55% Flinching.

Abilities:

Phantom Strike: User can use Ghost moves to cause damage on Normal type Pokemon.

Purify: User can use Psychic moves successfully on Dark Type Pokemon.

Grounded: Causes Gravity effect as soon as user is sent out into battle.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
30th April 2013, 05:43 AM
Bad Breath (Dark): User blows a foul breath of air onto its opponent that always causes damage and a status effect. Very rarely may it cause a OHKO. Effect chances are as follows: 5% OHKO or Toxic effect, 10% Burned or Paralyzed, 15% Confused, and 55% Flinching.

I see what you did there. At least if the name comes from Malboro's attack in Final Fantasy series.

As for other Final Fantasy-inspired moves, I'd like to see a Pokemon version of Regen. A reverse version of the Poisoned stats, this could provide Pokemon with a small amount of HP back each turn, and unlike Leech Seed, it would depend on the user rather than the target.

Magmar
30th April 2013, 05:52 AM
I'd like to see Attract have a 50% chance of success on any Pokemon with a gender, vs. only on opposite-gender Pokemon. Normalize teh gay pokemonz!

~I would say that

Pokemaster Ash
30th April 2013, 10:46 AM
Well, no new abilities but there are some I'd like to add overworld effects to.

Swarm: Increases odds of encountering Bug-Types in the wild
Flash Fire: Increases odds of encountering Fire-Types in the wild
Ice Body: Increases odds of encountering Ice-Types in the wild
Damp: Increases odds of encountering Water-Types in the wild

Kinda adding to the list of what Static and Magnet Pull do in the overworld, I guess.

Also I'd like to see a version of False Swipe that can hit any Ghost. Probably could be Ghost or Dark-Type.

...yeah, not particularly imaginative right now. Maybe I'll come up with something later.

DivineAll
30th April 2013, 12:23 PM
I'd kind of like to see a Special Attack version of Intimidate... you know... Psyche Out maybe?

Blademaster
30th April 2013, 02:23 PM
Give a signature move to every Legendary that doesn't have one. Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mew, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus don't have signature moves. Fix that shit, GameFreak.

CaptainJigglypuff
30th April 2013, 03:10 PM
^Mew sort of doesn't need a signiture move. It can learn virtually ANY attack and moves taught by a tutor with the exception of Draco Meteor and the elemental starter moves. That should be changed. Also, it kind of has a signiture move with Transform since no other Pokemon can learn it other than Ditto. Mew is the only other genderless Pokemon other than Crygonal to have the ability to learn Attract. I say those facts make it special enough that an exclusive move that only it can learn would be a bit overkill. What other Pokemon (other than maybe Smeargle) can have a moveset that has Explosion, Outrage, Sky Drop, and Transform as one of hundreds of combos for moves in the game?

classy_cat18
30th April 2013, 05:50 PM
A move that allows Electric-type moves to hit Ground types. That way they can finally justify Pikachu breaking game logic in the anime.

And maybe a Poison-type move that allows one to suck the poison out of a teammate and use it to power their Poison-type attacks.

And Electrify: a move that surrounds the user in electricity for one turn. Any direct move used on it renders the opponent paralyzed.

Oslo
30th April 2013, 06:35 PM
Acid rain weather effect. Hurts everything but Poison/Steel-types with a chance to cause Psn.

DivineAll
30th April 2013, 11:38 PM
A move that allows Electric-type moves to hit Ground types. That way they can finally justify Pikachu breaking game logic in the anime.

Ooh. That would be real nice. Maybe call it Earthshock and have it do more damage in Double and Triple Battles if there's a Ground-Type on your side of the field.

Emerald_Gen.3
1st May 2013, 09:20 AM
Tornado Drop: pretty much a special Sky Drop except you can do some stat changes while the other pokemon is up in the air

CaptainJigglypuff
1st May 2013, 10:07 AM
Full Deck: An ability that causes all moves with Base Damage less than 90 to become more powerful with each usage much like the move Trump Card.

Ice Breaker (Rock): A Rock Type version of Rock Smash. Off field it smashes huge chunks of ice.

Scissors Cut (Steel): Steel version of Cut. Allows user to cut through special walls off field.

DarkestLight
1st May 2013, 06:59 PM
Where's my 95 BP Special Dark/Grass/Ghost Moves at?

BTPoke
1st May 2013, 08:07 PM

I can come up with some on the spot, if you'd like

1) Shadow Siphon - Dark - 100 Power - 10 PP - 90 accuracy
Description: The user sends out a seemingly invisible cord made of dark energy. Once attached, the cord (after doing the first amount of damage) begins slowly sucking the life out of the victim.

Kind of works like Bind+Giga Drain. Came up with it based on a daydream I had when I was in one of my darker moods

2) Piercing Wail - Ghost - 120 power - 5 PP - 80 accuracy
Description: The user issues out a wail that gravely affects any victim who happens to hear it. User takes damage at a fraction of damage caused.
Attacks all enemies.

That one was based on Danny Phantom's "Ghostly Wail," so that'd be a bit tricky to incorporate into the series.

CaptainJigglypuff
2nd May 2013, 05:07 AM

The move I made up and posted earlier Bad Breath is a Special Dark move. It pretty much is a trickier version of Dragonbreath with more effects involved.

BTPoke
2nd May 2013, 09:25 AM
I also came up with a new ability for pichu

Overcharge: Do more damage with electric type moves at the cost of some health (similar to the life orb item)

Blademaster
2nd May 2013, 02:13 PM
A move that allows Electric-type moves to hit Ground types.

Seconding this. We can call it Anneal. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(metallurgy))

CaptainJigglypuff
5th May 2013, 06:03 AM
Ice Sword (Ice): User attacks using a sword slash infused with the power of Ice. May cause Freeze status.

Fire Sword (Ice): User attacks using a sword slash infused with the power of fire. May cause Burn status.

Thunder Sword (Ice): User attacks using a sword slash infused with the power of electricity. May cause Paralyze status.

-I basically took the idea of the elemental punches and applied it to elemental sword attacks. I can see Gallade and Farfetch'd learing all three and Scyther and Scizor learning Thunder Sword and Ice Sword.

Manipulate (Psychic): User enters its opponent's thoughts and controls their movement. This attack does no damage. The effect is that when this move is used, the user randomly depletes one of the opponent's moves' PP to 0. Note: this is one ofthe few Psychic moves that'll work on Dark types.

-I can see Grumpig taking full advantage of this move. Mewtwo and the Gastly line along with Banette are also perfect candidates for this attack. Manipulate has higher accuracy than Disable and is a more useful version of Grudge where the user doesn't need to faint for the move to be successful.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th May 2013, 07:14 AM
CJ, you must be reading my thoughts.

CaptainJigglypuff
5th May 2013, 11:28 AM
CJ, you must be reading my thoughts.

How so?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th May 2013, 03:41 AM
The names of those moves. I think I have had dreams about them. On the other hand, you can also pose nice arguments for them, which skill I feel I lack of.

Magmar
6th May 2013, 06:03 AM
We should have a session of ~designing lame moves and abilities~

-Average Beam. Type: Normal. PP: 25. Power: 30. Accuracy: 100%. Has a 10% chance of reducing Accuracy of foe pokemon.

Pokedex: In the spirit of the beautiful and powerful energy beams utilized by more specialized pokemon, porygon created the Wonder Beam. It was not as powerful as planned and, having run out of its research & development budget, porygon had to accept the beam attack as-is and proceeded to atomize the shareholders of silph co.

-Sneeze. Type: Flying. PP: 40. Power: 25. Accuracy: 95%. Has a 95% chance of hitting at least once; 90% chance of hitting twice (like fury attack); 65% chance of hitting 3 times; 40% chance of hitting 4 times; 25% chance of hitting 5 times; and 1% chance of hitting 10 times, but the user will also be reduced to 1 HP if this happens.

pokedex: In an attempt to make flying-type moves accessible to pokemon without wings, the geniuses at silph co decided that flying-type effectiveness only requires an attack be composed of the wind.

-Asinine Armor. Type: Normal. PP: 35. Damage: --%. Effect: Has a 55% chance of raising any one stat and a 55% chance of reducing any one stat. Occasionally, both will occur.

Pokedex: Due to their fragile bodies, the togepi's union for social justice petitioned the geniuses at game freak to give them the ability to boost their stats. unfortunately for the togepi, a rare genetic glitch caused the armor to sometimes not work.

CaptainJigglypuff
6th May 2013, 05:53 PM
I think Foresight should become a field move where it can be used to find hidden pathways in certain caves and find invisible Kecleon and Ghost Pokemon blocking your path. Basically have it used in a similar fashion the way the Silph and Devon Scopes were used for.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
7th May 2013, 12:44 AM
I think Foresight should become a field move where it can be used to find hidden pathways in certain caves and find invisible Kecleon and Ghost Pokemon blocking your path. Basically have it used in a similar fashion the way the Silph and Devon Scopes were used for.

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe they could also turn Foresight into a means of avoiding Pokémon battles, like a version of Repel with a very short duration.

Blademaster
7th May 2013, 12:56 AM
Seconded.

CaptainJigglypuff
11th May 2013, 05:32 AM
Echo (Normal): User repeats the last sound move on it and reflects it back at twice the damage. Basically a Counter and Mirror Coat type attack that counter most sound attacks. It will not work on Pokemon with Soundproof or counter the sound moves that do not cause stat changes or deal damage.

Break Up (Normal): If user is Infatuated, this move removes the status. Only works during Infatuation. Also removes stats changes caused by Captivate.