PDA

View Full Version : Questions, Gamecubes and Animal Crossing

Lorelei
5th May 2003, 01:24 PM
OK. I've saved up about 500$ dollars from babysitting over the past four months, and I've decided to get a Gamecube and a few games. I know I want the Two Towers, for sure, because I love that game.

The other game I want (maybe) is Animal Crossing. I've heard that its an excellent game, but WHAT IS IT? I can't find any information except for, "they live even when you aren't playing" and "they can visit friends houses."

Is it like the Sims or something?

And another thing... is GameCube a good choice, or will I wish I had a PlayStation2 a couple months after I get it?

What games does anyone suggest? I like Final Fantasy but I can't find anything about versions for Gamecube except for Crystal Chronicles.

RJdude
5th May 2003, 02:04 PM
I would suggest Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, SSBM, and possibly animal crossing (I've never played it)

Like I just said, I've never played Animal crossing, but i think its something like The Sims.

Gamecube is the best system out there. The main reason that everybody wants PS2 is for GTA3 and Vice City, but now that they are coming to Gamecube there's no need to worry about that. And X-box just plain sucks. The graphics are good, but there's really only 1 good game.

There are a couple Final Fantasy game coming out for gamecube, but I don't know when.

Razola
5th May 2003, 02:05 PM
Well, if you pre-ordered the Wind Waker, you could have done well:

-Wind Waker
-Metorid Prime (free when you buy a Cube)
-Pre-oreder bonus disc (Ocarina of Time/Master Quest)

If you are in Europe, then you should look into that deal if it's still available.

Animal Crossing is a great game that'll last you for a few months. But you may want to wait until have e# to see when the sequel is due out. If you can't wait, go ahead and snag a copy. You won't regret it.

I like Gamecube for the excellent 1st party titles. Some complain about a small library of quality games, but the GC has plenty of great games for my wallet.

Final Fantasy XI is going to be online. If you can afford the fee, you may want to go to PS2. CC is going to be four player offline, so if you have some buddies, you may want to try that.

Reccomended Cube Games:

-Super Smash Brothers: Now cheaper, this is great multiplayer action.

-Metroid Prime: An excellent FPS/Adventure game

-Wind Waker: It;s Zelda. I hope I needn't say more.

-Timesplitters 2: FPS fun in the same vein as Goldeneye.

-Animal Crossing

-Mario Sunshine

-Eternal Darkness

-Phantay Star Online: You should either have 2 other friends or cash to play online. I found three player offline to be a blast, but 4 player offline has some lag I found annoying.

-Bomberman

EDIT: Don't rule out the X-Box! With games like Panzer Dragoon, Halo, Splinter Cell and upcoming games like Fable and Halo 2 it certainly is worth a look.

classy_cat18
5th May 2003, 05:09 PM
I recommend everything that Raz recommended including Sonic Adventure 2 and Star Fox Adventures. I like SA2 because it's so...Sonic. Star Fox Adventures? Hey, I laugh easily and I think it's a funny game in some moments. And I'm waiting for that new Mario Kart game and Star Fox Armada. One more thing. Ikaruga. I've never played it, but I like mind-boggling games, plus I've heard it's pretty cool.

en0miz
5th May 2003, 09:10 PM
You musn't forget the greatness that is Super Monkey Ball. :D That game, among others, was how I spent my summer vacation 2002. Super Monkey Ball has a great single player puzzle game and mini party games as well. Either SMB 1 or 2 will fare you well, but I suggest SMB 1 for a beginner. You can also get both the games for cheap: they're both around 20-30 bucks used where I live.

PNT510
5th May 2003, 11:52 PM
I say go for the PS2. Most people I know seem to like it the best.

Here is a list of good games and games to watch out for each system

Gamecube:
SSB:M
Metroid Prime
Mario Party 4
Aniamal crossing
LoZ: TWW/Bonus Disk
PSO

Games to watch for:

Mario Kart
Final Fantasy Crystal Cronicles
PSO Episode 3

PS2:
GTA3/Vice City
Final Fantasy X
Twisted Metal Black
WWE Smackdown 4(if you like wrestling)
Devil May Cry
Dark Cloud 2
.hack
Xenosaga

Games to watch for:
FFX-2
Resident Evil Online
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
Smackdown 5(I dont know if this is confirmed yet)

XBox:
Halo
Splinter Cell(I know it's on every system but I think it's best for XBox)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Dead or Alive 3
Tao Feng
Mech Assault
Shenmue 2
Morrowind

Games to watch for:
Halo 2
WWE Raw 2: ruthless agression(if you like wrestling games)
Fable

Also if you have broadband you can get XBox Live which is very nice with the voice chat, downloadable content, and lag free gameplay.

Personly I say go with Gamecube if you like more layed back and less serious games(like animal crossing, Zelda, Mario Party). PS2 if you like RPGs (Dark Cloud 2, .hack, FFX). And XBox if you like more action based games (Halo, Mech Assault, Panzer Dragoon).

Also depending on where you shop you can get free games with a gamecube or XBox purchase.

Razola
6th May 2003, 04:25 AM
I would say if you're going for a Sonic game, get Sonic Adventure DX. I find it much better than SA2.

Lorelei
9th May 2003, 08:46 PM
Thank you all for much advice ^_^

Ok.... I like more lay-back stuff that I can play more for fun and such. I'm still leaning on Gamecube, and the one I want comes with MarioParty4 or Wind Waker. I don't really like Zelda except for the horse.

I like Final Fantasy, but the only FF that comes on GC is Crystal Chronicles, which frankly looks like it sucks, as its the FF characters or something as little kids. Chibi-ish. Stupid.

Is there a difference between colors of the gamecubes? My friend Tyler has one and he says for some reason the purple ones are stupider than the blacks or the indigos.

Kokomo
14th May 2003, 05:12 PM
I believe the cube comes in Black, Purple(They call it something else, can't remember right now), and Platnum(sp). I have a black one, I've had it since the Christmas after GC release. Many people feel that the purple one should be removed from existence.:D The Platnum one looks really cool, but it all goes down to your preferences. Theres no difference in the GC's cept for there color.

Lorelei
24th May 2003, 07:45 AM
OK ^^;;

I went out and got it and Animal Crossing. Platnium one, a bundle with two controllers, Mario party4 and a free memory card. Its really awesome.

Best game in Mario Party: The Great Deflate. Ground pound =)

Animal crossing is the most kick-*** game on the planet ^_^

mic_128
30th May 2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Lorelei
Thank you all for much advice ^_^
I don't really like Zelda except for the horse.

Just so you know, wind waker doesn't have a horse in it, only a talking boat. So if the horse from Zelda of old is the only reason you're going for the wind waker........

BTW, the purple cube is OK, although i would LOVE a platinum cube, but us aussies don't get one. :mad:

Razola
30th May 2003, 08:59 AM
Missing Final Fantasy Chronicles would be a big mistake.

From what I've gathered, it's a four-player co-op RPG, where players use GBAs to check their personal stats and inventories (though GBA wasn't required when I last checked).

The catch is that the world is poisoned, and one player must carry a bucket that emits a radius of clean, safe air. One player is designated to be the bucket holder, and cannot do much besides move around when carrying it.

The trick here is to use teamwork to make sure that the baddies can be killed without being poisoned. The bucket holder can also drop the bucket down if they need to fight (but look out, I've heard enemies can kick or punch the bucket!).

This game sounds like a blast, and it'd be a shame for you to skip it.