PDA

View Full Version : The Real Underdogs of sport.

Telume
17th June 2013, 06:07 PM
Tahiti are not World Cup champions, most of their players are part time and they made it to the International stage by shocking Oceania's usual qualifiers, New Zealand, in the OFC Nations Cup last year.

Despite all this, the Tahitians bravely took the stage against opposition where they were clearly outmatched and they recognized this fact (Their rankings reflect this, Tahiti are ranked 138th in the world and Nigeria 31. To add on to their "underdog" tag, Tahiti has NEVER played in a FIFA tournament (the Confederations Cup would be their first.) (Preview of their match: Tahiti coach urges amateurs to be brave - FIFA.com (http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/news/newsid=2110918/index.html))

So, what's Tahiti's dream in this tournament? Why, to score a goal, of course! And that they certainly did (highlights of the match: Tehau makes dreams come true - FIFA.com (http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/news/newsid=2111337/index.html)).

So, what's this thread about? It's a salute to the true dreamers and underdogs, those teams forgotten by the respective federations and ignored or scoffed at by the elite sides. Here's to you, underdogs, may you spring a shock or two en route to your dreams. Now, it's down to you TPM, who's your favorite underdog?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th June 2013, 12:25 AM
Well, Finland played 1-1 on Spain, and we have never even made it to the World Cup.

Jeff
18th June 2013, 08:48 AM
I could mention how the Baltimore Ravens had the odds stacked against them, but managed to overcome and win the Superbowl this past season. They were definitely underdogs in the playoffs, but at the same time they are still a well-respected team, having made the playoffs for the past 5 years.

One team that really comes to mind though is Baltimore's baseball team, the Orioles. After 14 straight losing seasons they were one of the biggest jokes in baseball, but last season they managed to make the playoffs and won the first ever American League Wild Card Game. And the crazy thing is, they still have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs again this year. While a World Series victory is still a long shot for them, there's something great about watching the team I grew up with rise from the depths of irrelevance, and seeing the seats at Camden Yards fill up again just as they did when I was a kid.

Heald
23rd June 2013, 02:55 PM
I'm watching Uruguay playing Tahiti now. And when I say playing, I mean in the same way a lion plays with a mouse before devouring it. No disrespect to them though, at least they're trying but they are hopelessly outmatched.