PDA

View Full Version : Dragonball Z-Budokai

Ghost
15th December 2002, 06:35 AM
Well, I've been wanting to get Dragonball Z Budokai for somewhile here in the U.S. and Jolly ol' Mum and dad say i will get it for X Mas, so i was coming hear asking "Who likes the game?Is it for a Novice or a higher level" So if you could tell me about Budokai you'd be very Helpful. I've Seen the Frieza.vs. Goku SS1 scence, but I 'd like to know how good the Gameplay is ^_^

Thanks,
Raven

Master Rudy
15th December 2002, 10:19 PM
Reviews at Gamefaqs on Budokai seem to be somewhat mixed. Among casual fighting fans it's scored about average. Many DBZ fans on the other hand think this is the best fighting game made for the license yet. Other people might describe it differently but I think this game is a bit of a cross between Tekken's combo system and Street Fighters fighting style (like in SF you have a bar that fills up and allows you to use your special attacks). As far as fighting goes in the game it can be either easy or hard depending on the situation. Characters such as Raditz and Nappa are pushovers in the story mode. Meanwhile others such as Frieza and Cell can give you major problems even on Easy. The final battle with Cell took me almost 45 minutes and over 30 tries due to how often he is in your face. You get almost no chance to block against him. The tournament mode gives you the money needed to unlock certain things for custom characters but be warned. The computer can be very cheap and ring outs will be quite common when you think your about to win. As for the replay value I really think it's up there. Starting out your only characters are Goku, Gohan (Saiyan Saga), Piccolo and Tien. This game makes you work for everyone and everything. When you do get the game here's a custom set up I like using for Goku ^_~

Transformations
Kaio Ken (called King Kai Fist in the game)
Kaio Ken x5
Kaio Ken x10
Super Saiya-jin

Attacks
Warp Kamehameha
Genki Dama (Spirit Bomb)
Super Dragon Fist (20+ hit combo)

I don't actually own the game but I know people who do. If anyone notices a mistake with what I'm about to say then feel free to correct me. Anyway each transformation should give Goku a 10% boost in his base stats for attacking and defense. However with each level you go up your ki will start to drain faster and faster. As for the Genki Dama keep in mind you can only do it outside of SSJ. Goku is one of the few characters where powering up to your max might be questionable. If you want to remove Super Saiya-jin for something else then I'd suggest one of the following three. For some quick damage his basic Kamehameha is decent. If you want to boost the power of another attack then try equiping a second Warp Kamehameha. Finally if you want to last longer in battle another good choice would be 1/3 Senzu Bean. Once you lose all your life your character will be revived with a third of their max life. If you play it right it should be enough to finish the job ^_~

PNT510
15th December 2002, 11:16 PM
I heard there was no jumping, how can you have a fighting game with no jumping?!

MarillmanS
16th December 2002, 02:18 PM
In the PAL version there are the original Japanese voices but the NTSC version has a FUNi Dub Voices.

My cousin says the game is one of the best DBZ games made (he is a DBZ freak).

Master Rudy
16th December 2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Pants the Miltank
I heard there was no jumping, how can you have a fighting game with no jumping?!

Many people including myself thought the same thing. In addition there is no ducking. However it doesn't hurt it at all IMO. Instead you have the option to knock an opponent into the air and then your character will fly up there on their own when you get near them. The reason why they said there was no jumping and ducking in the game is due to the fact that you almost never see it in the actual anime. I'll admit it's a silly reason to not put it in but I still think it's a good game.

RaichuRocks
17th December 2002, 03:12 AM
the fighting looks a little like GT Final Bout

the storyline and graphics rock!!

Cell is uber tough!

Outlaw JT
21st December 2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by MarillmanS
My cousin says the game is one of the best DBZ games made (he is a DBZ freak).

Calling it the best DBZ game ever isn't saying a whole lot. There has yet to be a really good one so it'll be a step up over previous games just by not sucking. The lack of jumping/ducking is a serious and dramatic negative for any fighting game and based on that I'd only consider buying it for the license if it is solid in all other areas.

Eyedolize
22nd December 2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by RaichuRocks
the fighting looks a little like GT Final Bout

the storyline and graphics rock!!

Cell is uber tough!

I might agree with you with everything except the graphics. The graphics in this game suck, but as far as the game goes, the game itself is more important but not the graphics. Of course the graphics had to be cheap looking so the characters would look the same as in the anime.

Master Rudy
23rd December 2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Konnix
I might agree with you with everything except the graphics. The graphics in this game suck, but as far as the game goes, the game itself is more important but not the graphics. Of course the graphics had to be cheap looking so the characters would look the same as in the anime.

Are you playing the same game as the rest of us Konnix? I personally think the graphics are great. You sound like you were expecting it to look like either MGS2 or Tekken. Of course I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Besides I'm sure many of us have learned the graphics don't make the game. IMO the game starts to go downhill when the programers focus more on the graphics rather than the gameplay or storyline

Eyedolize
24th December 2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by SSJ Rudy
Are you playing the same game as the rest of us Konnix? I personally think the graphics are great. You sound like you were expecting it to look like either MGS2 or Tekken. Of course I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Besides I'm sure many of us have learned the graphics don't make the game. IMO the game starts to go downhill when the programers focus more on the graphics rather than the gameplay or storyline

I've never mentioned before that graphics are the most important aspect in a game. I've said the graphics don't look good for been a PS2 game, but never did I say the game itself sucked. Plus I wasn't expecting this game to have fancy graphics either, since I've learned not to have my expectations high.
An example to show you that graphics don't mean much to me, is take a look at Final Fantasy 7. Been a game of 1997, I know the graphics are outdated. Sure, but what I love about this game, is how the game itself can provide alot of fun and at the same time keep me entertained, making it one of my all time favorite games. From this point of view, doesn't it tell you that graphics don't really mean to me that much ? Of course you do, since I was just indicating the graphics weren't good in Budokai, but I did not mention anything about the game been bad. BTW, I've known that improving graphics over gameplay is actually the major downhill in every video game, which is why I emphasize more in the content then the looks itself.

Master Rudy
24th December 2002, 12:59 PM
Well on another subject about the game what are some of the custom characters you use? Currently I have a set up for Goku that I think works quite well:

King Kai Fist x2
King Kai Fist x5
King Kai Fist x10
Super Saiya-jin
Warp Kamehameha
Super Dragon Fist (x2)

As you can see this Goku is made for strong attacks. With two Dragon Fist's equiped I can get a 40 hit combo that usually takes a little more than one full life bar when I'm in SSJ. As for the Warp Kamehameha I'd say it's more of a finishing blow than anything else. As much as I like this set up however I think I might ditch WK for a third Dragon Fist when I get it for some serious damage.

Pokemaster Cody
26th December 2002, 06:24 PM
I just use Kid Gohan's Breakthrough ability, granted by the dragon. I have custom modes for every character. I like Frieza's Spaceship. Go Cyborg Frieza! Just for my top transformations abilities list.

Gohan: SS2
Goku: SS1
Vegeta: Super Vegeta
Cell: Perfect (Power-Weighed)
Frieza: Final 100%

and many others... I still can't unlock a few levels but I've already defeated Perfect Cell (Power Weighed) with SS2 Gohan.

Hitmontop1503
26th December 2002, 08:51 PM
I didn't get it for Christmas, so I bought it the day after.

It's great! Very great! I just love the voice acting, & the remake of the series intro! I'm stuck on one part though. I'm trying to get Raditz in position for Piccolo's attack. I'm not very good at rotaiting the along stick. Any tips?

Incase your wondering, I got a PS2 this Christmas (along with Kingdom Hearts! ^_^).

dienamight
29th December 2002, 06:57 AM
Most accurate Budokai review yet. (http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=470)

Hitmontop1503
29th December 2002, 10:38 AM
Note to self: Destroy that site.
That site wouldn't know DBZ if Goku Kamehameha'ed him in the back of the head.

Another note to self: Don't take any Anti-DBZ bull from Dienamight.
If you don't like DBZ... GET OUT OF THE TOPIC!

Sorry, I'm usually polite, but some people don't respect good games...

Ghost
29th December 2002, 12:01 PM
*shoots Dienamight in the head with a Big Bang Ball*

I don't think he even knows who FIRES that attack... lol. Budokai so far has been Awesome. I don't even have to go SSJ with Young Gohan to beat Perfect Cell! Too bad you can't play Budokai online..Now that would be fun

dienamight
29th December 2002, 03:20 PM
No, you two are just blinded by the license. This game blows, I've played pretty much every fighting game out there and I can say without a doubt that this is one of the worst fighting games of this generation.

Earn yourself some SNK. And if you don't know what SNK is.. well, that just proves my point further; you wouldn't know a good fighting game if it bit you in the ***.

PS: Its average rating is 65%(here (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/25057.asp)), which we can all agree on is a mediocre-at-best score.

I'm right, you're wrong.

Ghost
29th December 2002, 06:09 PM
any site that gives it under a 6.9 is a Medicore Site those !@#$#^&*)!@#$. Dragonball Z Budokai is easily one of the best games of the season so **** everybody that don't like it

dienamight
30th December 2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Raven The Jedi Bounty Hunter
any site that gives it under a 6.9 is a Medicore Site those !@#$#^&*)!@#$. Dragonball Z Budokai is easily one of the best games of the season so **** everybody that don't like it

lol people have opinions lol

Eyedolize
30th December 2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by dienamight
No, you two are just blinded by the license. This game blows, I've played pretty much every fighting game out there and I can say without a doubt that this is one of the worst fighting games of this generation.

Earn yourself some SNK. And if you don't know what SNK is.. well, that just proves my point further; you wouldn't know a good fighting game if it bit you in the ***.

PS: Its average rating is 65%(here (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/25057.asp)), which we can all agree on is a mediocre-at-best score.

I'm right, you're wrong.

I agree with you dienamight. I mean, since its just Dragonball Z everyone expects it to be awesome, equivalent to that of the show. I sincerely think the anime is so-so, and the game itself is bad, especially the gameplay which is mediocre, even though that's my opinion. Sometimes we need people like you, dienamight, to show people how each individual has their own opinions.

Hitmontop1503
30th December 2002, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. People have different opinions...
Still, Deinamight's acting like a freakin' jerk!

Originally posted by dienamight

I'm right, you're wrong.

See? That's my point! I really hate the "bite you in the butt" part! Dienamight, those comments can be hurtful, & you know it. I know you're the one who said that people have different opinions, but you're getting mad at us for our opinions (i.e. the "bite you in the butt" thing). You should learn to act more respectful to others. Without the proper respect, you won't make any friends on this board.

Remember, some people don't like sour cream on their deserts.

*silence*

In other words, don't be a jerk.

dienamight
30th December 2002, 09:41 AM
Hahahaha.

1. You take the internet too seriously. You should take everything you see in it with a grain of salt(for example; the Budokai "review" that I posted). You got emotionally hurt from my posts? Moses.

2. Friends whom I'll never meet? Real important there.

3. You need to realise that among gaming sites and gamers in general there is a clear consensus about Budokai... it sucks. You might not share this opinion, but you're in the minority. Many other games who are also generally considered bad, such as Daikatana and Kabuki Warriors, are probably enjoyed by a small minority as well, despite the many flaws these games have.

Adz44
30th December 2002, 02:12 PM
Dienamight, I don't think fans of DBZ: Bukodai give a crap about being in the minority (if that is the case). As long as they like it, it shouldn't really matter about statistics. I can't comment on the game yet because I haven't played it. I might find it good, I might find it rubbish. Either way, I wouldn't have a "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude towards other people.

Anyway, as for reviews, PSM2 and UK OPS2 Magazine have both said that while they don't place it highly in the world of beat-em-ups, it should please fans of the TV series or comics.

One man's meat is another man's poison. That's all I have to say.

The Muffin Man
30th December 2002, 03:46 PM
this is the nicest thing I'll say to Dyna:

You're looking at the game from the eyes of someone who LIVES to play a Capcom fighting game. It's not fair to compare this game to such amazing games like Street Fighter, or Marvel Vs Capcom 2! That's like comparing the Excalibur to a nuke in terms of power. It's not really fair. Also like comparing Audioslave the RatM. It's just not fair.

But if you look at it as a new fighting experience, and look beyond the fact it's a DBZ game used to simply cash in, it's a really fun game.

....Oh and nobody is allowed to publically like Daikatana, I forbid it...and so does God. 4 out of 5 Dieties agree.

SygmaXE
30th December 2002, 03:56 PM
Budokai is nothing but a button masher! You can't use Super Ki Blast alone, you can only use them at a end of some stupid punch/kick combo. They tried to make Budokai a "Tekken with Fireballs" instead of a "DBZ game in 3D" like DBZ Butoden, Hyper Dimension, Shin Butoden, or even Final Bout! You can't go into Ki Blast Power Struggles (Tug-o-war) and the Burst Mode (their version of Hyper Dimension's Rush Battles) are too easy! Where's the damn Meteo Attacks!? Why is Tien's Tri Beam (Kikoha sho I think) called the Ki Blast Cannon?! Why is Vegeta's Big Bang stronger than his Final Flash? WHY THE HELL CAN CELL USE THE SPIRIT BOMB AND NOT THE MAKKANSHOKAPO OR KIENZEN?!!! You can't jump (for good reason) but you can't fly on your own either! WTF! Just remake DBGT and make it better!

ultimate zapdos
31st December 2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Outlaw JT
Calling it the best DBZ game ever isn't saying a whole lot. There has yet to be a really good one so it'll be a step up over previous games just by not sucking. The lack of jumping/ducking is a serious and dramatic negative for any fighting game and based on that I'd only consider buying it for the license if it is solid in all other areas. you have obviously never played hyper dymention

Hitmontop1503
31st December 2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Adz44
Dienamight, I don't think fans of DBZ: Bukodai give a crap about being in the minority (if that is the case). As long as they like it, it shouldn't really matter about statistics. I can't comment on the game yet because I haven't played it. I might find it good, I might find it rubbish. Either way, I wouldn't have a "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude towards other people.

Anyway, as for reviews, PSM2 and UK OPS2 Magazine have both said that while they don't place it highly in the world of beat-em-ups, it should please fans of the TV series or comics.

One man's meat is another man's poison. That's all I have to say.

You never spoken words more true.:D

BTW, Adz, love the avatar!