PDA

View Full Version : Which Pokemon attacks do you dislike?

CaptainJigglypuff
28th June 2013, 05:42 AM
As a Pokemon trainer, I'm sure no one really has ever liked the idea of Splash but what other attacks do you not like? For me I've always hated Selfdestruct, Explosion, Thunder Wave, Protect, and Detect. I personally enjoy attacks that cause damage but I hate the idea of a Pokemon blowing itself up and THEN leaving you vulnerable to a loss especially if the computer or your opponent sends out a Pokemon you KNOW would have be taken care of easily IF you nhadn't let your Pokemon explode. I grealy dislike Detect, Protect, and Thunder Wave because of how OVERUSED they are. It almost as if every other attack is Portect and Detect and not all of us like to carry around 999 status healing items! In fact I've NEVER use TM 73 since hunder Wave returned as a TM! I didn't even use he TUTOR in FR/LG. So which attacks are pretty much hated for you?

Magmar
28th June 2013, 08:56 AM
I can't say that any particular moves ever bothered me, but speaking as the resident old fart of TPM, I'll talk about the perceived inequity of certain moves--I wasn't a big fan of the first elementally-relevant moves given to the original starters. Ember was useful in that it might burn the opponent, and Bubble, while kind of useful in regards to the fact that it has a small chance of lowering Speed, was much weaker. But Vine Whip, which was sort of a happy medium, only got 10 PP, which made grinding with Bulbasaur and Bellsprout tricky as they quickly ran out of PP--especially Bellsprout, which wouldn't learn another Grass-type move for quite a while. It's like, yeah, Bellsprout eventually learns Razor Leaf, and you could always teach it Mega Drain halfway through the game, but Razor Leaf has more PP than Mega Drain and Vine Whip combined, frequently critically hits, etc.

Oddish didn't fare much better--only learning Absorb for a while, which does have the benefit of slight healing, but has slightly more PP for a weaker attack.

In general, I wasn't a big fan of either Pokemon who didn't learn type-based attacks for a while, or at all, or couldn't even be taught one, like Pinsir and Scyther. Butterfree, as a Bug-type, only had Leech Life and String Shot from its Caterpie days to speak to its Bug-type capacity, although the Psychic-type techniques were handy especially considering how much butt you could kick with Confusion early on in the game. (Oh, hello Zubat... and goodbye. Please don't sing me the song of your people, Zubat, I don't want to deal with another 2,000 of you.)

I kind of remember Rhyhorn/Rhydon not learning any Ground or Rock-type moves on their own, which again is kind of silly. I'm sure there were a few others like Zubat (but who cares about Zubat), and all those Grass/Poison-types that never learned an offensive Poison technique.

In short, I can't hate on any moves, but Pokemon who couldn't learn moves of their own elemental type were kind of silly! (I'd say make them Normal-types, but what is normal about Pinsir lol)

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
28th June 2013, 10:53 AM
I dislike all the attacks do do repeating damage over 2 - 5 turns, like Wrap. So annoying and you always have to read the same text message that stops the action.

Magmar
28th June 2013, 10:59 AM
Thunder Wave + Double Team + Rest + Wrap = OMGWTFBBQ

CaptainJigglypuff
28th June 2013, 11:08 AM
Dounle Team is a bit iffy for me. I like to use it if I can but it's annoying when facing something like HGSS Lt. Surge's Raichu which uses Double Team every turn! I also never really liked the move Disable. I personally never use it and I think Taunt and Torment are better moves to stop your opponent from using the same attacks every turn. Sand Attack is another annoyance for me. I. Just. Hate. It. It's like when you use it against an in-game trainer's Pokemon constantly, the opponet's Pokemon keeps damaging YOUR Pokemon every turn but when used on YOU, yours can't get a hit in at all!

Magmar
28th June 2013, 01:02 PM
Disable is kind of moot once you get past the beginning of the game. It's great when you're facing, say, a Water-type with Water Gun and Growl like Slowpoke, and you manage to disable the Water Gun. But it's too risky later on... "yay I disabled Thunder Wave and I'm already paralyzed!" or "crud, I disabled Growl and now I'm getting Psybeam'd over and over"

CaptainJigglypuff
28th June 2013, 02:04 PM
I also pretty much hate Confuse Ray and Supersonic. Always hated Supersonic because of the OVER-abundance of Zubat in the caves but Confuse Ray was tolerable until the 3rd Gen games for me. Except for Zubat and Golbat, you really never had to deal with it all that much until Ruby and Sapphire came out. The attack then seemed to be overused in the game. And I never understood why the Zubat family had two moves that are virtually the same exact thing except one is sound based.

Blademaster
30th June 2013, 07:59 PM
Thunder Wave + Double Team + Rest + Wrap = OMGWTFBBQ

Just the first and last ones are bad enough. Or they used to be, at least. I can't be the only person that lost my shit at Pokemon Stadium whenever I faced that fucking Dragonair/Dragonite that spammed Fire Spin and Thunder Wave constantly.

Katie
1st July 2013, 05:17 PM
I've blacked out of so many stupid caves/grassy spots because of stupid supersonic and poison stings that finally poison me after the 700th stupid Zubat/Weedle. Just confusion and poisoning in general.