PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Is Slaking playable?

Umbrella
5th May 2003, 03:57 PM
Post your thoughts onto whether or not YOU would use Slaking on a team and expect to win.

Crazy
5th May 2003, 04:00 PM
Your game dad has 2 and i mopped the floor with him cause Slaking fell asleep alot.

Fanha
5th May 2003, 04:03 PM
More than playable. In a 2-on-2 match, Skill Swap Lazy off of him, then from the partner onto an opponent. Not only is Slaking then going to own, but you've screwed up one of your opponents too and can have stolen a good trait from them.

Mr.E
5th May 2003, 04:10 PM
Nobody cares about 2v2 anyway. ;( Go away Fannypants. =P

Gligar_Man
5th May 2003, 04:15 PM
that is true, and you force the opponent to be highly predictable in a state of permanent paralysis, and i care about 2v2, i think people should stop living in the past and just progress the metagame and play 1v1 like you did 2v2 on the gsbot during gsc days... lol, i really think that progressing the metagame to 2v2 is very important, it opens up so many doors, the only drawback ot that is it takes 3 turns... wich can hurt you bad and you better be a skillswapping rester, but its more than worth it for slaking IMO, and in 2v2 they tend to double team slaking letting you get it off on one of them...

Slaking master
5th May 2003, 04:15 PM
Your game dad has 2 and i mopped the floor with him cause Slaking fell asleep alot.

Those Slaking didn't have hyper beam :) Slaking is very useable it takes some patience and skill to use

Fanha
5th May 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Mystery
Nobody cares about 2v2 anyway. ;( Go away Fannypants. =P

That is the funniest thing I've heard in a very long time.

The whole game revolves around the 2-on-2 mode, in case you hadn't noticed. From moves like Helping Hand and Follow Me to Uproar and moves that hit both opponents like Surf and Earthquake and Explosion, to traits like Lightningrod, to items like Choice Band, the game REVOLVES around the idea of partner support. Lazy is meant for exactly that. I don't know about you or anything else, but I do know from my experience in studying the details of the system itself (so closely that I can duplicate every detail of it) that R/S was clearly designated to be based around 2-on-2 battling.

Umbrella
5th May 2003, 04:17 PM
i know 2v2 is a big part of the R/S metagame,but can someone plz post somethings on 1v1 battles? :(

Gligar_Man
5th May 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Fanha
That is the funniest thing I've heard in a very long time.

The whole game revolves around the 2-on-2 mode, in case you hadn't noticed. From moves like Helping Hand and Follow Me to Uproar and moves that hit both opponents like Surf and Earthquake and Explosion, to traits like Lightningrod, to items like Choice Band, the game REVOLVES around the idea of partner support. Lazy is meant for exactly that. I don't know about you or anything else, but I do know from my experience in studying the details of the system itself (so closely that I can duplicate every detail of it) that R/S was clearly designated to be based around 2-on-2 battling.

you couldnt have worded it more perfectly fahna, lol, be gone with you and your petty 1v1 ways, living in the past *tisk-tisk* i also have been studying 2v2, but much more into strategies not why to use it, lol... one day the day will come, and then the stategies will come in handy... but perfect orchestration of the argument fannypants... and its not lazy its truant... :\

MetalScyther
5th May 2003, 04:22 PM
I care about 2vs2 battling, although IMHO there aren't enough moves to really make 2vs2 battling that much better then 1vs1 battling...all it will be mostly is two pokemon attacking one pokemon which doesn't sound much fun. But when strategy gets involved and you are really thinking, ie not just attacking, then it could be great.

1vs1 is what I'm focusing on for now and once I learn how to play that maybe some 2vs2.

Fanha
5th May 2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Gligar_Man
that is it takes 3 turns... wich can hurt you bad and you better be a skillswapping rester, but its more than worth it for slaking IMO, and in 2v2 they tend to double team slaking letting you get it off on one of them...

Skill Swap is a widely learned move, and keep in mind that it's all about getting a good situation where you can make them go into switching/losing turns from paralysis/etc. to buy you just a few extra moves. After the first turn, Slaking can hold its own; Slack Off and its rather robust speed and fairly solid defensive stats will hold it very well, in my opinion. This isn't some slow Snorlax or something; Slaking packs a huge punch (significantly more than Snorlax), STAB on Normal, a formidable speed (I mean, this guy matches Mew, ffs, it'll outspeed anything that's not considered "fast"). As far as the partner, if they die, so what, they've done more than they need to have done; having basically doubled Slaking's already huge Attack. Besides, the next Pokemon will have a lot of cover since they'll then be after Slaking, giving you cover to setup a Reflect or Light Screen then other support or status effects.

Gligar_Man
5th May 2003, 04:40 PM
i know, :P, and i would only reccomend using it w/paralysis in play, etc. or heavy switch envokers and taking a random skill... and slaking has the best attack in game other than medicham, and above 300 s.d. and heavy defense, and 500 life, and 400+ attack, and 299 speed, its a tank, and slaking will most likely hold his own, and in the scenarios in wich he does he will most likely get double teamed allowing you to pass on skill swap, but then they might attack him but slaking will kill everything, lol... it owuld be fun and since it is very widely used... it will be kind of hard for a while to pick them out until it is too late, lol...

[McGraw]
5th May 2003, 04:50 PM
Forget 2v2, IMO, Slaking is even useable in 1v1.

If you have spikes stacked, having a Slaking in your team is a great tactical advantage, cos when your opponent sees it, they are obliged to switch. You don't even have to attack, you can predict and switch too, thus Slaking won't be truant when you next use it. Your opponent will be well aware of Slaking's constant threat, so there's nothing like a Slaking for mind games :p

Slaking master
5th May 2003, 05:05 PM
How would u counter the skill swap thing?I was thinking instead of double teaming the slaking u double team its partner but trouble with that is slaking is fast enough it will probaly kill one of your pokes before the two of them hit it.I think people will use alakazam so they can skill swap off before can try 2 double team it. I found out that once u use skill swap on the slaking main moves hyperbeam and earthquake r not that good on him.

*To keep on real topic slaking good use 1on1,List of thing it kill with hit from a hyper beam is longer than the thing it can't(kyogre is on list and slaking is faster than kyogre )

Imhere4u2die
5th May 2003, 05:49 PM
Is there any way that slaking can know skill swap himself? Then he would be excellent. But as he is he isn't playable, but I accidentally voted for undecided. Also, what does choice band do?

Starry Might
5th May 2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Imhere4u2die
Also, what does choice band do?

"Multiplies move power used first by 1.5; can't use other moves"
~ "'Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire' Player's Guide"

As for Slaking...I don't own either "Ruby" or "Sapphire", and I'm personally not really interested in training one, so I can't really say... *SHRUG*

Gligar_Man
5th May 2003, 06:07 PM
in 1v1 slaking gets straight up owned w/par and confusion... not being able to skill swap himself, and its worth it to swap it onto you then someone elese, but beware of them skill swapping it back, lol...

Ultimate Pikachu
5th May 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Slaking master
How would u counter the skill swap thing?I was thinking instead of double teaming the slaking u double team its partner but trouble with that is slaking is fast enough it will probaly kill one of your pokes before the two of them hit it.I think people will use alakazam so they can skill swap off before can try 2 double team it. I found out that once u use skill swap on the slaking main moves hyperbeam and earthquake r not that good on him.

*To keep on real topic slaking good use 1on1,List of thing it kill with hit from a hyper beam is longer than the thing it can't(kyogre is on list and slaking is faster than kyogre )

Slaking is not faster. Slaking is cheap junk. Kyogre isn't on Slaking's OHKO list. It would be awsome if Slaking couldn't get Hyper Beam. Magikarp is more useful than Slaking and your partner using Skill Swap is a very bad idea, Slaking can't hold it on itself. It's not kill. Slaking can't even beat a Magikarp.

pimuni
5th May 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Ultimate Pikachu
Slaking is not faster. Slaking is cheap junk. Kyogre isn't on Slaking's OHKO list. It would be awsome if Slaking couldn't get Hyper Beam. Magikarp is more useful than Slaking and your partner using Skill Swap is a very bad idea, Slaking can't hold it on itself. It's not kill. Slaking can't even beat a Magikarp.

you certainly dont know anything about Slaking. Magicarp is a piece of junk compared to it by the way. Slaking might not be very good for the middle of a battle, but it is a great battle starter. I mean, fast, powerful. it will most likely kill the opponent pokemon in one hit. then the second, and maybe the third. once its dead, the opponent has less pokes and its up to the rest of your team to handle it.

and you shouldn't start insulting other pokes (except for Luvdisk) because other people love them. :) it is as if I was saying that Pikachu is ****. I would definetly offend many people. And lets not forget telling soggy_cardboard that Spinda sucks. :o

Gligar_Man
5th May 2003, 08:08 PM
yes i agree, slaking>karp, duh!

probationsmack
5th May 2003, 08:20 PM
ultimate pikachu, that was real lame.... there is no way in hell that a magikarp beats slaking, not even if you screeched slaking three times, got critical hits and slaking gets confused/attracted/fully paralyzed every turn (actually it just might....)

slaking is pretty lame in one versus one battles, anything with protect/detect/dive/fly will be able to handle it (not even encore gets through protect). And the fact that slaking goes truant every other turn means that even paralysis will more than likely inhibit your non truant turn. If slaking should be anything in traditional battles, like the one dude said it should be used to play mind games, or transformed into a tanke with amnesia+slack off.

Im not a fan of two on two battles, but i seriously doubt that with the lack of two on two battles in the actual game its whats r/s is all about. IF anything r/s sets up a new fronteir, it would have to be the contests, which i am a fan of. I love contests because it allows me to compete with my lovable dustox who is weak statwise and still have a chance to win. And as of now, almost everyone in the pokemon world is a newbie at contest strategies, reinstating that awe that i felt during my red and blue novice days
, consisting of not knowing and learning new strategies for this new fronteir
On the topic of slaking, i have a serious question, will uproar allow slaking to attack every turn? And please test and then reply, because i tire of educated speculation.

now that i think about it slaking might be great early in traditionanl battles, newbies will switch directly to their protect pokemon and get KOd or have to sacrifice their starter. Methinks ill have to include a shedinja in my opening slot..... but ghosts could be the ruin of him, especially since many of them have will ow wisp. When unobtainables are no longer unobtainables, slakings worse enemy will probably be floating gengar. I strongly suggest vigoroth over slaking in traditonal battling, because its great speed and attack make moves like encore, amnesia, slack off, endure+flail/reversal very useful.

Slaking master
5th May 2003, 08:53 PM
6 pokemon fight in a battle,so put on moves detect,fly,dig etc just stop a slaking is a waste of time.Doing that just make u have crappy pokemon

Uproar does not make slaking attack every turn

Responding 2 this is waste of time but i will do it anyway.Slaking is faster Slaking 100 kyogre 90.When i was trying 2 catch my kyogre hyperbeam kept on killin it or left it close 2 1 or 2 hp.My Slaking was at a lower level too.Maybe u and gligar_man :) had a bad experiance in norman's gym which leads 2 u hating slaking :D

Darkanine
5th May 2003, 08:59 PM
Slaking is respectable, but not great. In 2v2 its a bit better with the skillswap set up, but that can be risky. probly 50% chance of pulling it off. I think its ok, but I'm not going to use it.

Fanha
6th May 2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Slaking master
How would u counter the skill swap thing?

Provoke, another Skill Swapper, Disable, Whirlwind out Slaking to reset it, and probably many more other moderately effective strategies that I haven't mentioned off the top of my head.

I won't even waste my time with a reply to Ultimate Pikachu as he would hope, since that was just stupid.

Originally posted by Imhere4u2die
Also, what does choice band do?

1.5x ATTACK (not move power, only physical attack) while held, but once you use a move while out you cannot select a different move to use (it will use Struggle even before using any other move)

Crazy
6th May 2003, 06:15 AM
Don't argue i do believe some Kyrouges are faster than slakings.......It's simply my opinion.

Musourenka
6th May 2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Crazy
Don't argue i do believe some Kyrouges are faster than slakings.......It's simply my opinion.

Some Kyogres are faster, mainly those with Cute-type personalities, compared to Slakings with an anti-Cute personality.

But, if you have a Kyogre and Slaking with the same EV distribution, the same personality, and the same level, I believe that Slaking will be the faster one.

Deck Knight
6th May 2003, 07:03 AM
Personally, I think the person who thought of Slaking should be shot...

The only thing keeping Slaking from being an 00ber***** is its Trait. Remove the Trait, and you have an 00bered up pokemon on par with Mewtwo, Lugia, Rayquaza, and Ho-oh.

Slakings stats are what make this so, lets face it, with 299 Defense and 229 SD)but it has Amnesia) + its Godly 500+ HP, the thing just doesn't go down.

The only think that might stop it in 2/2 is Pseudohazers, after a Skill Swap, you can just WW or Roar it out, resetting its Trait. (The way I see it, Slaking HBeams away a pokemon, then its Partner Skill Swaps, while You Use the Recharge Turn it has to Pseudohaze it.) Now if only there was a Ghost type Psuedohazer... Or Skarms work :-D

Anyway,

Slaking is not playable in 1/1, its just too easy to counter. OIts Truant turn spells its doom. If you had a pokemon with Focus Punch and Maxed out attack(lets say... a Brave Machamp/Medicham) You would OWN Slaking on its Truant turn. Then there is Fly. In theory, a Swellow could beat a Slaking with just Fly. Slaking tries to hit it, it flies up and evades(Swellow is faster), and Swellow comes down when it is loafing. It would take a while, and probably end up in a switch war... but Swellow could do it.

Dark Sage
6th May 2003, 08:33 AM
I don't know about Trainer Battles, but my Slaking was instrumental in catching all three of the Regi. After my Zangoose had false Swiped them down to almost nothing (the Silk Scarf helped), Goliath (as I nicknamed him), was tough enough to survive their attacks, and use Yawn to put them asleep. I used the time when he was "loafing" to heal the blows he got from their Superpower strikes and SA's. Furthermore, Yawn seems to put enemies to sleep longer than other sleep-attacks.

That's how Slaking is used - attack one round, then heal it when it is loafing.

- Venusaur

Shuckle
6th May 2003, 09:29 AM
Slaking is not playable in 1/1, its just too easy to counter.

Meh... i'd have to disagree - we can all come up with 'anti-pkmn' for the PKMN currently in discussion (meidcham with focus punch Vs Slaking) but whether in a real situation the team you are facing has this PKMN is another matter.

I'd also point out that Slaking has access to 'Yawn' which would in part protect it from your Medicham and his 'truant-turn-focus-punch-attacking'.

Slaking tries to hit it, it flies up and evades(Swellow is faster), and Swellow comes down when it is loafing. It would take a while, and probably end up in a switch war... but Swellow could do it.

Like i said every PKMN has a counter but not many people build teams simply to counter specific PKMN (especially not Slaking).

Fanha
6th May 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Deck Knight
If you had a pokemon with Focus Punch and Maxed out attack(lets say... a Brave Machamp/Medicham) You would OWN Slaking on its Truant turn. Then there is Fly. In theory, a Swellow could beat a Slaking with just Fly. Slaking tries to hit it, it flies up and evades(Swellow is faster), and Swellow comes down when it is loafing. It would take a while, and probably end up in a switch war... but Swellow could do it.

You fail to mention these are practically the only uses for Focus Punch (which I wonder if was just designed for Slaking) and Fly, which means they probably wouldn't be there in the first place. Focus Punch and Fly could both be used in theory in many other situations actually, I won't argue that, but in general there are just better moves. Low Kick or Cross Chop do well enough.

Hyper Beam with a Skill Swap setup probably won't happen. If the user is putting up a Skill Swap setup, something like Body Slam or Return is much more likely, since Hyper Beam's main point is to abuse the Truant turn, and if you take off Truant it's really not necessary.

I doubt Amnesia will make it into many Slaking sets, any more than it made it into many Mewtwo or Snorlax or Alakazam sets. People aren't usually that defensive, especially with an offensive powerhouse like Slaking.

Slaking could probably be menacing much in the same way Snorlaxwas, but I doubt he'll be any more. The setup issues counter the higher stats. I could see him used in 1-on-1, but not just as a general fighter like Snorlax might have been; obviously he'd have to be planned-out and have a specific purpose or use. He's worth looking into, and certainly is "usable" by any standards. I generally think people are very shallow-minded to go around labeling Pokemon as "usable" and "unusable" when they are the very people who like to play with underused, and they haven't even really played R/S enough in a true metagame to have any idea about these things.

probationsmack
6th May 2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Fanha
....and they haven't even really played R/S enough in a true metagame to have any idea about these things.

then hustle, put it into fifth gear or something, we wish you godspeed fanha... umm thats it

Imhere4u2die
6th May 2003, 04:37 PM
I just had an idea. It probably won't work, but you know how you can breed to get different traits? I'm not sure if you can or how, but I thought I heard you could change traits with breeding. Well can't you breed slackings trait away for something good? Then he would be awesome!!

Jim Fuse
6th May 2003, 05:31 PM
that wont work because females produce the species and always carry the trait - so slaking always has taunt

Crazy
6th May 2003, 05:34 PM
I know his Stats but the sleep thing is just annoying i would hate to battle with a pokemon that falls asleep every 2 turns.

MetalScyther
6th May 2003, 05:37 PM
lol

That is pretty ****ing pathetic if you think slaking is just around the corner from being an 00ber.

Protect > Slaking
PArylises > Slaking
Confusion > Slaking

As for your 'wtf why do you have one of these moves to counter slaking omg wtf' that is how it is for every team. People do not ***** when one hs rapid spin to take care of spikes, or a pokemon with flamethrower as its special attack instead of a more versatile ice beam just so that it is there for skarm. One pokemon with protect is not to much, as that has other uses then just to counter slaking(recovery/stalling purposes mainly). Parylises and confusion should be built into every team so you can't even ***** about that.

Granted, it is a good pokemon, but in no way is it an 00ber, or close to one. I think that it can be used, but I certainly wouldn't(as I see no effective way to use it when there are so many counters for it). If your really good and you think you can use it good, go for it.

But please don't ***** about it being an 00ber. For christs sake.

Oddish17
6th May 2003, 06:09 PM
Burn > Slaking

Slaking with 200 something attack is not much of a threat. Heal Bell/Aromatherapy helps Slaking with this, but then you'd have to switch, undoing your well thought out Skill Swapping plans. Will-O-Wisp is already a popular move.

pimuni
6th May 2003, 06:12 PM
of course Slaking is not an oober. it kight have near oober-stats, but its Truant trait pays back for that power. I mean, if Slaking had been made with normal stats and with the Truant personality, it would suk. Game fraks had to level it off. And Slaking might not be as bad as people say. Hyper beam is the ideal attack for Slaking, since he still loses a turn for the Truant characteristic. And Slack Off can be used on the turn that the opponent uses fly, dive, or dig... you would keep healing. and at that rate, the opponents fly/dig/dive PP will reach 0. also, the opponent might use a mind trick and use a different attack, but then you might use Hyper Beam or another filler attack and finish it off. Slaking is more for "mind games", as some said before. oh, and about the status conditions, just attach a LUM berry. no more problems. and there usually are no faster status inflictors than can outspeed Slaking.

Slaking is all a matter of how to use his movesets, held items, and team strategy. it also depends on your team formation, and mainly, on your likes. I personally think Slaking is a good poke and thats why I voted YES for him. :yes: :D

oh well, and of course there will always be people that will never like Slaking. It all depend on someone's own likes as I said before...

http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs038.png -> "Feel my Hyper Beam in your face"

Deviou$
6th May 2003, 08:52 PM
I was thinking, just as a fun set, that someone could do this:

Slaking @ Recovers PP berry (don't remember name)
Personality: +Sp. Def/Def., -Sp. Att
(give all EVs to HP and Sp. Def)

Hyper Beam
Rest
Sleep Talk
-

Yes, a blank slot! This would be really fun to use, although it's really n00bish ;)

probationsmack
6th May 2003, 09:59 PM
nice idea devious except....

slaking used rest
enemy attacks/ support move/switches/powers up
slaking is loafing in its sleep, man
enemy attacks/support move/switches/powers up
slaking attacks with either rest or hyperbeam
enemy attacks/support/switches/powers up/DIES
slaking is loafing in its sleep man or it wakes up, but its still loafing,

maybe if rest could be two-three turns
but i do admit it does sound like fun

ahh the good ol days

kingdra@brickpiece
rest
sleeptalk
splash
-

hoo hah!

of my scary curselax

snorlax@stick
curse
splash
-
-

Gligar_Man
7th May 2003, 05:30 AM
slaking
hyper beam
rest
sleep talk
earthquake (for example)

slaking used rest
truant
slaking used sleep talk slaking used hyper beam, earthquake (lets assume he didnt use rest just for my point)
slaking woke up, and is truant

so yeah it helps with status moves alot... but you can see the downside as well... personally if your not using a aromatherapist/healbeller, its better than slack off IMO

probationsmack
7th May 2003, 01:46 PM
i think anything with sleeptalk/snore can become confused in their sleep... not sure though
if so, confusion be bad for any slaking
as well as attraction
blaghhhh

Gloom Guy
8th May 2003, 08:15 AM
I thought about using Slaking, but he's too easily defeatable... All you need is a pokemon with Protect/ Detect/ Dig/ Fly/ Dive & you don't need to have one of these moves on every pokemon. I'd like to see a Slaking take on a Ghost type w/ Protect. Ghost's are immune to Hyper Beam & Protect can be used every other turn so that all moves won't hit (Shadow Ball/ Earthquake being the biggest worries).
Even a Medicham w/ it's Pure Power ability (attack 2x original) & the moves Brick Break (to rid of Reflect if neccessary) or some other good fighting move & Protect can take out a Slaking easy.

Shuckle
8th May 2003, 09:35 AM
I thought about using Slaking, but he's too easily defeatable... All you need is a pokemon with Protect/ Detect/ Dig/ Fly/ Dive & you don't need to have one of these moves on every pokemon.

...Those moves pretty much suck though and they'll eventually run out or fail and then you'll be in serious trouble coupled with the fact that the actual attacking moves you mentioned are quite weak.

I'd like to see a Slaking take on a Ghost type w/ Protect. Ghost's are immune to Hyper Beam & Protect can be used every other turn so that all moves won't hit (Shadow Ball/ Earthquake being the biggest worries).

I'd just use my Slaking's shadow ball which will be super effective. Slaking is a normal type PKMN so he's immune to ghost attacks that leaves a good chance any direct attack from a ghost is going to be relatively weak. You may face a Banette with thunder bolt / psychic but again nothing to be too worried about considering Banette's mediocre SpAttk. A ghost annoyer may have the best chance of causing some harm but only if it got the first move (which is unlikely).

Slaking master
8th May 2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Gloom Guy
I thought about using Slaking, but he's too easily defeatable... All you need is a pokemon with Protect/ Detect/ Dig/ Fly/ Dive & you don't need to have one of these moves on every pokemon. I'd like to see a Slaking take on a Ghost type w/ Protect. Ghost's are immune to Hyper Beam & Protect can be used every other turn so that all moves won't hit (Shadow Ball/ Earthquake being the biggest worries).
Even a Medicham w/ it's Pure Power ability (attack 2x original) & the moves Brick Break (to rid of Reflect if neccessary) or some other good fighting move & Protect can take out a Slaking easy.

I am tired of seeing people saying this.To use protect and detect against slaking,you have 2 find a pokemon that is faster than it these are normally weak pokes that die in one to two hits.Also Slakings can learn yawn and encore these two moves really mess that strategy.
Fly, Dig,and Dive all you have to do switch out bring right pokemon to deal with them.Most of time when you use fly dig and dive you your opponent the chance the bring a pokemon that own your pokemon. For example the flying pokemon maybe a eletric,ice or rock ,the water pokemon electric or grass, u get the point
Medicham pray that it is faster than slaking cause slaking will kill one hit.Medicham defense sucks

They are better to ways to beat a slaking than put on those moves a screw up a good pokemon.The combo of par and high special attacking poke normally does the trick on a slaking.Gengar
will own slaking we get all the pokemon back.Yes those moves work on a slaking,i still get chills every time i see a Pelipper,but a smart person will just switch out leaving u with a crappy poke.

Gloom Guy
8th May 2003, 10:04 AM
Medicham doesn't have to be faster, Protect/ Detect always strike first regardless of speed.
Slaking isn't invincible.

HienkyakuX
8th May 2003, 10:10 AM
Well and why you don't use a poke like Grumpig and do Skillswap there are other options but the other fast poke is Starmie. And many other Phychic and Ghost poke can use that move and it work. What I do is skillswap whit Grumping since he can take some hits and skillswap to the oponent. heother good point is that if the poke that has be skillswap faint Slaking whont have Traunt back at hem or at lest untill he is swich or roar/ww.

It is like if yu use a Magneton and Claydoll and pass levitate to Magneton and the swich back and you have Magneton and Claydoll whit Levitate at the same time.:yes: :D

Slaking master
8th May 2003, 10:24 AM
Nobody said slaking is invincible.Slaking probaly one of the most flawed pokemon ever.You right about the protect and detect going first, but why use those moves

1.They suck
2. They will run out pp before the get job done
3.The person can switch out
4.They can be counter with encore
5.They are not reliable,Sure it might work good against poke that attack ever other turn but what about rest,You can't use protect and detect against other pokemon it just does not work good.

Gloom Guy
8th May 2003, 11:00 AM
It works well on a moveset w/ certain pokemon... Umbreon (or any good tank) can take advantage of Protect on its moveset.

Protect is a good stalling move.

probationsmack
8th May 2003, 03:14 PM
slaking master
I SO WANT TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE

i have already stated in this thread that

protect/detect prevent encore from taking effect
i actually used a slaking in a battle on the ROM where the opponent used protect, I was like, whoopee now they are doomed

nuh uh

protect stops slaking no matter what (yes, even yawn) and its just a hard fact of battling with the big lug. protect is also very versatile for many strategies, so dont expect to see it soley for slaking
for instance, i have a kecleon with substitute+protect+leftovers, when i need to build up hp by using protect incase i need to substitute again

do be comforted it though that unless whatever pokemon you call slaking out on has protect, they are either going to take a massive hyperbeam standing, or on the switch....... terror, but i suppose the metagame will respond with wide popularity among ghost types

Shuckler
8th May 2003, 03:35 PM
It is true there is no way around protect/detect directly but indirectly it is simple just use curse/ bulkup along with slackoff bide your time and then really give it to them

pimuni
8th May 2003, 04:36 PM
yeah, but Slack Off is not an attack. its a self healing technique. if the opponent uses Protect, you will heal your HP, and recover what you lost... You will keep doing this until the Protect/whatever PP of 5 runs out and then you kill with Hyper Beam...

Darkchampion
8th May 2003, 11:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of slaking although I have seen him kick butt on occasion (after their skarm/ghost dies)

He is dead weight if they have a counter for him, but if they don't he pwns since he can OHKO lots of stuff.

Fanha
9th May 2003, 02:08 AM
This topic was never about "Is Slaking Uber or not?", just to remind those who seem to think it was.

Slaking has its uses, though it is fairly easy to counter if you know it is coming and build a counter into your team. I don't think much more needs to be said. I could very easily see a standard Perish Trapper putting the works on Slaking with absolutely no chance of failing. On the other hand, against a team without a specific Slaking counter, I could see Slaking taking hits and dishing back major damage when attacked directly. It all matters on the opponent, hence why he is a strategic Pokemon and not an Uber or general use Pokemon. He's as usable as most other Pokemon, but obviously he's not a horribly dominating figure.

Slaking master
9th May 2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by probationsmack
slaking master
I SO WANT TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE

i have already stated in this thread that

protect/detect prevent encore from taking effect
i actually used a slaking in a battle on the ROM where the opponent used protect, I was like, whoopee now they are doomed

nuh uh

protect stops slaking no matter what (yes, even yawn) and its just a hard fact of battling with the big lug. protect is also very versatile for many strategies, so dont expect to see it soley for slaking

:) . I have done the encore to protect with vigaroth(and i was wrong about encore with slaking it is near immpossible to pull off),beside I am going the protect/detect thing disscusion once and for all.Slaking learns taunt:D .

Does anyone know if taunt stops will o wisp,thunderwave,and toxic?

Imhere4u2die
9th May 2003, 09:32 AM
Yeah taunt stops all moves that dont deal direct damage I think.

Ultimate Pikachu
9th May 2003, 08:12 PM
Slaking won't have time to pull of Taunt, does Protect block Taunt? Taunt takes toll on the opponent so protect should stop it.

Andrew
9th May 2003, 09:26 PM
Well I currently have a Vigroth and he's probably the total tank of my team, I'm considering giving him an Everstone to hold because well with Yawn, Slack Off, Strength (It was better than Scratch!) and probably Facade he's really really really powerful. At level 28 He's taken down the Swellow and Pelican in the Flying Gym 1HKO.

And when he evolves I don't want a frikken lazy bastard again... So I'm thinking of keeping him VIgroth...

Slaking is nice, VEERRRY strong and very defensive but his trait is annoying :S So... yeah.... And unless you're patient his trait will send you mad.

Deviou$
9th May 2003, 09:44 PM
Slaking is like a Hyper Beam. He has severe OHKO powers, but he can't be used effectively as a staple.

Instead, he should be used like a psychological weapon (someone mentioned this). Keep him out any longer than 1 or 2 turns and your opponent will dig out something to ruin Slaking.

Slaking is killed by any status infliction besides Toxic, and he simply can't fight against anything Steel, Rock or Ghost without a lot of luck.

Here's my idea of a serious Slaking set (I'm a bit n00bish, forgive me if it sucks ;) )

Slaking@Choice Band
Hyper Beam
Fire Blast (for Skarms)
EQ
Return/Yawn?

Return so Slaking can switch out, Choice Band to increase killing power, Fire Blast for special attacks and Skarm.

probationsmack
9th May 2003, 11:15 PM
devious has the right idea
do not keep slaking out in battle

but unfortuneatly using him in the game has turned up undersirable nuances of truant. The truant turn is determined during a battle, that is to say it may be every even turn after slaking first appears or something like that. This means that by constantly switching slaking you risk not being able to attack the turn you come out, giving ample opportunity by the opponent to regain the advantage. it annoys me that this means i cant use encore slaking for pseudohazing since he might be a loafing muthalova the turn i switch him in
blaghhhhh

Gloom Guy
11th May 2003, 07:59 PM
I like the Vigaroth thing... He's pretty strong at that evolutionary level & he can't be put to sleep... I think for some trainers preventing Vigaroth from evolving would be a good idea for their team.

Crazy
11th May 2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Gloom Guy
I like the Vigaroth thing... He's pretty strong at that evolutionary level & he can't be put to sleep... I think for some trainers preventing Vigaroth from evolving would be a good idea for their team.

I agree.How does a pokemon like Vigoroth turn into a lazy pokemonlike Slaking??Vigoroth is better.Maybe not stat wise,but at least it will NEVER fall asleep.