PDA

View Full Version : US Govt Shutdown

Gavin Luper
4th October 2013, 10:32 AM
How is there not already a thread in Misc about this?

Discuss!

classy_cat18
4th October 2013, 11:07 AM
I really wish these people would stop being selfish. I have several family members who work for the government and are currently being forced to work for free, and if they decide to not show up they'd be declared M.I.A. Not only that, members of Congress are still being paid! That's just unfair!

Katie
4th October 2013, 12:44 PM
A huge/growing number of congressmen (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/10/01/which-lawmakers-will-refuse-their-pay-during-the-shutdown/) are vowing to refuse/donate their paychecks to charity, so there's that at least.

Roy Karrde
4th October 2013, 11:23 PM
In before Roy Karrde comes in and...

Aww c'mon I have to admit it just is not fun with out "He who shall not be named"

* Walks away, head hung in shame *

Magmar
5th October 2013, 07:58 AM
Dear Congress: What is your malfunction??

Heald
6th October 2013, 05:37 PM
I like how the only parts of government still functioning are the politicians, and the people who are either spying on people or murdering people. Way to get your priorities right Murica

RedStarWarrior
7th October 2013, 07:43 AM
Keeping our intelligence agencies running makes perfect sense.

However, I think all Congressional pay should be withheld until they get this shit straight.

Blademaster
7th October 2013, 09:08 PM
I love how, aside from a few hundred thousand federal employees being out of work, they actually had to TELL US this just so people would realize they'd stopped doing anything.

...Because they normally don't do anything.

That is the joke.

abunaidesu
11th October 2013, 02:50 PM
my brother works for homeland security and he isn't getting paid at all.

Roy Karrde
11th October 2013, 06:22 PM
Looks like a deal is almost done

woz
12th October 2013, 08:36 PM
congrats on your worthless uncompromisable bipartisan politics

Blademaster
14th October 2013, 06:10 PM
Three more days until the default.

http://www.72hoursremain.com/picture/dawn_of_the_first_day_by_forest_sage.png?pictureId =3577016

Heald
15th October 2013, 07:54 AM
The GOP has indicated they will concede at the last possible moment, which pretty much makes them look like a screaming child locked out of the house waiting until the big storm cloud above them starts pouring before they apologise for being naughty.

As far as petulant political stunts go, this probably couldn't have gone any worse for them. At this stage it would probably be of greater political expediency to let the default occur, at least then it would really fuck Obama up.

RedStarWarrior
18th October 2013, 08:02 AM
Let's all congratulate the Tea Party Republicans for lowering our GDP by half a percent.

Way to go, fuckheads!

All this shit and they ended up backing down. The shutdown cost us what, a half a billion a day? I think you should vote for whoever is the challenger in the upcoming elections. Incumbents can suck a fat one, regardless of party affiliation.

Edit: It cost more than half a billion a day because the 16-day shutdown cost us 24 billion at the least.

Heald
18th October 2013, 10:46 AM
It's one thing, and quite common, for the party in opposition to openly wish for the economy to fail.

It's quite another to actually attempt to make the economy fail purely out of spite.

RedStarWarrior
23rd October 2013, 07:40 AM
Let's just say that if poll numbers are accurate, they are going to regret this come November.