PDA

View Full Version : ummmm

Perfect Chaos
28th October 2013, 12:17 AM
So this topic is just to see if anyone would somewhat be interested in reviving the chatroom "ummmmm" from like years before during its hayday. I randomly had brought it up with Crystal Mew on Facebook and I know she was most definitely down with it.

So basically this topic is just to help garner interest of those who were regular members/drop by once in a while and also possibly figure out which type of chat program is best used to help carry this out.

Onwards and upwards!

-Sean

Mikachu Yukitatsu
28th October 2013, 08:10 AM
But isn't there a chat already? http://www.pokemasters.net/chat/ Or is there a difference?

The current activity level makes me sad.

Katie
29th October 2013, 12:43 AM
I'm out of touch with the internet, I just use forums and Facebook now lol, what chat program do the cool kids use these days? I uninstalled AIM in like 2008. I would like to think I'd check in on an ummmm revival but I'm so out of habit I'm not sure.

I also need a refresher on whose TPM name matched what AIM name, possibly preferred font color as well because my memory is terrible... PunkPanda/Pudgypanda, violet bold tahoma on black bg reporting for duty

Lady Vulpix
29th October 2013, 07:38 AM
I have a list of TPM/AIM names at home, I'll try to post it tomorrow.

There's an official IRC chat these days. Click on the Chat option of the top menu.

Other than that, lots of people are using Skype. I have it, but I use Pidgin the most, and I'm still using my AIM account there.

RedStarWarrior
29th October 2013, 07:42 AM
Gabi, you need to make all current forum staff have some sort of moderating abilities in the chat.

Lady Vulpix
29th October 2013, 07:55 AM
Me? How? I don't have those abilities myself.

Anyway, I don't think that's necessary. I've yet to see anyone spamming or flaming in the chat, and Telume is in most of the time. I think having him as an op is enough for the chat to function properly, at least as it is now.

RedStarWarrior
29th October 2013, 07:59 AM
Yeah, but my power trip...

You don't love me.

Perfect Chaos
29th October 2013, 08:41 AM
I think Skype would probably be best for an ummmm revival, since majority of people use it and we can all connect to a phone chat and really go crazy with stupid stuff if we ever wanted to.

I was always knsprythry on AIM, have no idea what my font and font color was back in the day though :heh:

Zak
15th November 2013, 01:04 AM
Might be more efficient if more people, y'know, used AIM on a regular basis...

shazza
15th November 2013, 06:53 AM
I completely understand that 'ummmm' and other facet of TPM's past are now saturated with nostalgic ooze, but if you were to force and make a revived 'ummmm', it will be extremely short-lived and dwindle into a puddle of disappointment since it failed to live upto the memories you have of the original chat room: activity, people changing and so forth.

By all means appreciate that you have these lovely memories which you can sometimes go back to, but please continue writing new pages into your Book of Life.

EDIT: Activity is arguably at an all time low in 2013. Why further divide the community with another chat room when there is one (unofficially two) on IRC? Or, even better, create a late 2011 Mt. Moon inspired Post Count Capsule (but even then, trying to replicate the original idea proved futile!)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
15th November 2013, 07:21 AM
Or, even better, create a late 2011 Mt. Moon inspired Post Count Capsule (but even then, trying to replicate the original idea proved futile!)

:yes:

I wonder if TPM has grown to sustain one-liners or even one-world or one-smilie replies. I've also seen some double-posting but still am a bit afraid what that would bring. I don't want to read TPM 24 hours a day but some activity would not hurt.

kainashi
15th November 2013, 11:12 AM
has the main site been getting a decent amount of users? if so we need to get them to register and use the forum. :(

Magmar
15th November 2013, 04:20 PM
TPM posts on Facebook are viewed by thousands of nerds. The TPM Facebook should really... oh, I don't know... advertise

Jeff
15th November 2013, 08:15 PM
After Kevin took over the Facebook page, it somehow ballooned from about 40 members to... wait for it...

SiMHTK15Pik

We could use some of them here in the forums.

firepokemon
15th November 2013, 09:01 PM
but who can be arsed

Telume
15th November 2013, 09:54 PM
Gabi, you need to make all current forum staff have some sort of moderating abilities in the chat.

If you want mod abilities, I can give them to you.

Just PM me on TPM when you're gonna be on, or say my name on IRC.

I'll notice the former, since I'm kind of on all the time, even if I don't say much.

shazza
15th November 2013, 10:59 PM
After Kevin took over the Facebook page, it somehow ballooned from about 40 members to... wait for it...

SiMHTK15Pik

We could use some of them here in the forums.

Really? That is very weird.

Perhaps he did the whole pay for people to like your Facebook page thing.

shazza
15th November 2013, 11:00 PM
If you want mod abilities, I can give them to you.

Just PM me on TPM when you're gonna be on, or say my name on IRC.

I'll notice the former, since I'm kind of on all the time, even if I don't say much.

What logic is there giving someone Operator abilities in a relatively idle channel besides fueling an ego?

Jeff
17th November 2013, 12:01 AM
What logic is there giving someone Operator abilities in a relatively idle channel besides fueling an ego?

I believe you just answered your own question.

fueling an ego

shazza
17th November 2013, 01:15 AM
SOUNDS LEGIT

Dark-San
18th November 2013, 09:07 AM
Don't bother reviving 'ummmm'. We are living in the age of the Social Media. Besides most of us, the old birds, are connected through the Facebook. We can well just chat or spam our way in the group. :/