PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon encourage communication

Lady Vulpix
18th December 2013, 04:45 PM
Today I was playing Pokemon X on the subway back home, when 2 young men sat at either side of me. They seemed to be in their early 20s, both tall and thin, one blond with blue eyes - the one on my right - and the other dark-haired with slightly brownish skin.

Suddenly, the guy on the right asked me what kind of Nintendo DS I was using.

"3DS," I said.
"Oh, but not the big one... The small one," he replied.
"Yes, the small one," I confirmed.
"Not a bad thing to have on a journey," he commented, and then said to his friend: "she's playing Pokemon, that's why."
"Yeah, I'd love to have one of those," the other guy said. "Not even that one, the regular one... With a Pokemon Yellow, I'd be satisfied."

It felt a bit weird, and I did feel a bit sorry for those guys, but it's fun when I hear strangers talk about Pokemon.

There was also a time when I told 3 school kids I had a Pokemon game and they immediately surrounded me asking me to show them how to play, and wouldn't let me go.

So... do you have any similar experiences?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th December 2013, 11:18 PM
The only thing I come up with right now is an occasion when I was talking about my interests with some aquitances of mine and a younger girl came to the same room with her friend and said 'Pokemon is a noble thing.'

There have been also other incidents, but I might tell about them later.

Telume
20th December 2013, 03:27 PM
I met my friend Kazuo at FIU on the sole basis that he's a pokemon and Attack on Titan fan.

Much fun was had in my Japanese class.

Jeff
21st December 2013, 10:07 AM
When I was online dating I came across a picture of one girl who was holding a couple of Pokemon plushies. It definitely got me to send her a message, but I never got a response.

It all turned out well in the end though, since this spring I got back in touch with someone I had met back in the fall and we're dating now. She's not into pokemon, unfortunately. :/

ChobiChibi
23rd December 2013, 04:56 AM
I met my other half in the Pokemon tent at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta back in the summer :) I'd arrived late in the day, found our mutual friend, and he was not far away. Apparently he thought "oh, she's cute. Oh, she knows him, so I can also know her! And she must like Pokemon!" Now we spend a lot of time playing Pokemon together ^^

I think games in general get people talking. I started talking to a lady and her kids on the bus the other night because she couldn't decide if the Xbox or PS4 was better. She said the Xbox breaks more. I corrected her, we've only had one Xbox back at work, but a handful of ps4's. She asked my advice, I told her to wait til there are more games out for them both to make a decision :)