PDA

View Full Version : All of time and space...

Cferra
22nd January 2014, 02:26 PM
Anything that ever happened or ever will. Where do you want to start?

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1497704_10152196102206095_2046964121_n.jpg

There it is. My completed collection of Doctor Who dvds. Check it out. What do you think? For reference, the DVDs are:

1. The Dalek Invasion of Earth
2. Tomb of the Cybermen
3. The Time Warrior
4. Pyramids of Mars
5. Earthshock
6. Vengeance on Varos
7. Remembrance of the Daleks
8. The TV Movie
9. Series 1
10. End of Tiime
11. Series 7.2
12. The 50th Anniversary Special, Day of the Doctor

Now then, to give this thread a point, how many people here are Whovians? Who is your favorite Doctor? How did you get into the show? What are your favorite eps? And are you looking forward to Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

As for me, my favorite Doctors are the 4th and the 11th. I got into the show as a friend of mine nudged me in the direction of it since I asked him if there was any good scifi on. I had been watching Smallville and since it ended, I needed a new show to watch. It also helped that I had seen several internet reviews about Doctor Who fro the classic series to the present. =) My favorite eps are the dvds I got. But, I have a soft spot for a few classic era stories and a few from the new series. In fact, I may have seen a few classic stories back in the day on PBS and never knew what show it was. For example, a review had the Gods of Ragnarok in it and when I first saw it, I was like "Where did I see those things before?"

I'm looking forward to Capaldi. It's a shame he won't be able to bring his creative cursing to Doctor Who. But, we know he'll be thinking it. =)

Drusilla
22nd January 2014, 03:14 PM
Tom Baker <3 I grew up watching reruns on PBS in the late 80s/early 90s. After that, it was our collection on VHS. My favorite story arc is the Key to Time with Ramana 1.

Can't wait to see Capaldi, I think he's just what the show needs to give that eccentric feel again. Matt Smith was good, but a little too feels-heavy. I'm hoping for a wild ride with this doctor.

Master Rudy
22nd January 2014, 07:19 PM
This past year Time Warner bought out my old cable company and added BBC America to the lineup. As a result I've just recently gotten into the series over the summer/fall. I do want to eventually get the Series 1-7 BR box set. Problem is it's sold out on Amazon and I honestly don't know if they'll be getting more of them. As much as I've grown to like the series there's just no way in hell I'm paying almost $600 for something that was originally in the $300-$350 range :-/

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Limited-Blu-ray-Giftset/dp/B00DYAE2IY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1390439358&sr=1-1&keywords=doctor+who+series+1-7

At worst I'll just hold out hope that the older seasons are eventually sold individually on Blu-Ray. Anyway from what I've seen so far I'd say my favorite actor in the role has been Tennant. I'm looking forward to Capaldi in the role as I've heard nothing but good things about his acting. Kinda perplexed by all the hate towards him but from what I've seen it's mainly fangirls screaming over how The Doctor isn't "cute" anymore :P
Oh well. Guess this'll be a case of separating out actual fans from those who watched the show because it was trendy :P

Cferra
22nd January 2014, 08:23 PM
Indeed. But, ya know I think XFinity On Demand sometimes shows series 1-7 on the free Doctor Who tv section. Right now they have series 7 up. I tend to get dvds in bits. I am probably going to get series 8 for my Capaldi representative. Am also thinking about the other anniversary specials: The Three Doctors, the Two Doctors and the Five Doctors.

Jeff
22nd January 2014, 11:49 PM
I started watching back when it was on the SciFi/Syfy channel, back when Eccleston started on it. Lost track during the Tenant era, but watched some episodes since then and did catch the 50th anniversary special. Was admittedly upset that even though they showed Hurt regenerate, they didn't show the end result, even thought it's been confirmed that he became the 9th. Well, there are always fan videos...
eO3veBHQ7aQ

Magmar
23rd January 2014, 06:49 AM
~pre-coffee post here we go~ I really only got into it in about 2011 because my significant other loves anything sci-fi... I was really loving Doctor Who for a while, but lately it's been all "I'm dying, I'm DYING my companion and I think it's for real this time so many feels"...

My favorite series was the fourth with Catherine Tate. Once the series began to focus more on wit and intellect, less on the sexual frustration of companions, it began to really work for me. Maybe it's because I'm older than the true target audience; Doctor Who is meant to be universal and accessible to children of most ages so most of the themes aren't all that complicated. I found that dialogue with Donna Noble (and River Song) was par with a family film in which "grownups" are communicating separately from the protagonists and generally the adults in the audience are the ones in on the joke. Also it was really only in the fourth series that the Doctor ever was more of a professor/leader, not just a hero by chance.