PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Cuts Internet Support for Wii/DS

Roy Karrde
26th February 2014, 11:01 PM
As of May 20th, 2014, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service will be discontinued and it will no longer be possible to use online features of Nintendo DS/DSi and Wii software such as online play, matchmaking and leaderboards.

The Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop will not be affected however, and will continue to be accessible after May 20th.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-killing-online-services-for-wii-ds-1532216462

The full list of stuff that will keep on working past May 20 follows.

Internet Channel
Nintendo DS Browser
Nintendo DSi Browser
Nintendo DSi Shop
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay & Play
Wii Shop Channel
YouTube

This is rather surprising seeing how Black 2/White 2 is still a recent release, and the WiiU is still lagging behind in sales while the Wii still has a massive install base.

Either way enjoy playing your DS/Wii games online while it lasts.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
26th February 2014, 11:10 PM
An end of an era. Sad news. I do have Wii U and 3DS, but does this affect playing Pokemon Black/White (2) online if both players have 3DS?

Ah OK, it reads:

Remember that the statement references software, not hardware, so even if you're running a DS game on a 3DS, or a Wii game on the Wii U, it still won't connect online.

;_;

Kotaku's pretty good, I like them on Facebook.

CaptainJigglypuff
27th February 2014, 05:14 AM
A bit annoyed that I can't trade Pokemon online on any of my gen V games. So if I am understanding this correctly, BW/BW2 can only connect online on Pokemon Bank?

ChobiChibi
27th February 2014, 08:53 AM
Sort of. Black, White, Black 2 and White 2 can use Pokemon Bank. It is Bank's software that will connect to the servers, not the game software. Also, you can't send them back once they've been transferred either.

I was sad about this, until I realised that I don't actually use online services on most of those games/systems anymore. It's probably for the best.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
27th February 2014, 10:38 AM
I was sad about this, until I realised that I don't actually use online services on most of those games/systems anymore. It's probably for the best.

Me neither. But many gamers have seen this generation as a turning point from personal gaming to online gaming. Time will tell, to use a bromide.

Drago
27th February 2014, 05:33 PM
I tried to play an online match of Mario Strikers about a year ago. Just by connecting, I was automatically ranked as the #1 player in the world. Wii's online was dead long before this, the only surprising thing to me is that they'd pull the plug before Smash Bros 4 is released. No online Brawl to tide one over!

EDIT: I admit, I'm going to miss the Today and Tomorrow channel.

Blademaster
28th February 2014, 12:23 PM
This totally won't backfire terribly.

Telume
1st March 2014, 11:21 AM
What's with all the big companies and terrible decisions recently?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
1st March 2014, 11:23 AM
Capitalism finally fails, I guess.

:sovietunionpatriot: