PDA

View Full Version : Twitch Plays Pokémon

mr_pikachu
2nd March 2014, 05:02 AM
I assume that most of you have heard of Twitch Plays Pokémon (http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon) by now, considering that key moments have trended worldwide on social media. Even major news outlets like CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/twitch-plays-pokemon/) have been covering it. If you don't know what it is... I don't know, do a Google search. Or just wait until the next phase begins and join the live stream.

So, who here has watched and/or participated in it? Is anyone planning to continue with round two? And more importantly, could this affect the Pokémon franchise as a whole?

In my case, I actually learned about it from Becky, and I started watching the stream about a week ago. I've also participated sporadically while doing other work -- for instance, I took part in the first successful effort to move boulders onto switches in Victory Road, and I was there for the final battle against Blue, as well.

(Actually, I tried to record the final battle so that I could offer it as content for our site, but my video capture failed. Blargh. At least I was the first person to edit the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_Plays_Pokémon) after the victory, though....)

As for the continuation, let me put it this way. Right now, the local time is 6:00 a.m. I've been working like crazy over the past week and have gotten very little sleep. Yet despite my sleep deprivation, I'm forcing myself to stay awake so that I will be there for the GSC round, which is slated to begin one hour from now.

To say that I'm nostalgic over this would be putting it very mildly. It's a miracle that I didn't wake the neighbors when we finally toppled Blue.

But enough about my experience. What about you?

Heald
2nd March 2014, 09:58 AM
I participated in Ledge 1, Giovanni, Ledge 2 and the first 3 Elite 4 victories. Missed Blue being toppled though.

They're now 4 hours in Crystal and Totodile has already been dubbed LAZER GATOR due to constantly using Leer, which is animated with 2 lasers from his eyes I guess.

CaptainJigglypuff
2nd March 2014, 10:27 AM
I participated in Ledge 1, Giovanni, Ledge 2 and the first 3 Elite 4 victories. Missed Blue being toppled though.

They're now 4 hours in Crystal and Totodile has already been dubbed LAZER GATOR due to constantly using Leer, which is animated with 2 lasers from his eyes I guess.

Yep. It's lasers coming from Totodile's eyes. The battle animations in the first two gens of Pokemon were weird. Growl was the same animation as Sing in RBY and one girl I knew kept insisting that her Bulbasaur was using "Sing" even though the text clearly said "BULBASAUR use Growl!" And Fissure in RBY for some odd reason had bubbles rising from the bottom of the screen.

Oslo
2nd March 2014, 10:42 AM
I haven't been participating but I have been watching quite a bit. It's bizarre and captivating. I was on eggshells during that whole final battle with Blue and I lost my shit when we won. My older brother and I virtually never keep in touch but we've been mad texting over this whole thing. Pogeymon brings families together.

Still, I'm not sure whether Gen II will be so great? The memes and lore made the first run as unique and special as it was, but now people are trying too hard to replicate that magic and it's rustling some jimmies on the subreddit. LazorGator and King Leer are decent nicknames for Totodile but they'll be kind of lousy if/when Leer is forgotten. So we'll see.

Jeff
2nd March 2014, 11:47 AM
Just started checking out the adventures of AJDNNW. Just saw them catch OXXOZZ -: the Caterpie. This is oddly captivating.

Edit: They have officially registered Joey's number. This is going to be good.

CaptainJigglypuff
2nd March 2014, 04:36 PM
^I'ved always found Joey annoying as he kept calling me every five minutes once and kept saying the same thing about his Rattata.

DarkestLight
2nd March 2014, 10:49 PM
I need to get in on this when they have to get the train running, that parts going to be a trip

Perfect Chaos
2nd March 2014, 11:15 PM
I totally need to watch this when I'm high, I might trip out even more and ragequit and smash my laptop to bits.

DarkestLight
2nd March 2014, 11:21 PM
The fuckers that hit start, UGH, Pisses me off.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
2nd March 2014, 11:24 PM
I didn't know about this before. Do they do this to other videogames too?

Oslo
3rd March 2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I'm sure we'd be on Gen III by now if it weren't for all the butthead trolls pressing Start every five steps.

Jeff
3rd March 2014, 10:35 AM
I guess that's why I keep seeing people randomly pressing B for no apparent reason, it counters the people pressing start.

And speaking of pressing B, I don't know of its status today, but last night Totodile was level 22... and still a Totodile. Freaking trolls.

Lady Vulpix
3rd March 2014, 12:16 PM
I was a silent watcher during Red, but today I participated in the teaching of Cut in Crystal.

Oh, and I was watching during top moment #9.
Q4UDZk8eiHI

Also, I liked this image:

http://i.imgur.com/Tnlj9hf.png

DivineAll
3rd March 2014, 06:10 PM
I honestly don't see what the big deal is, much like Nuzlocke. To each their own, I guess.

Mr.E
4th March 2014, 11:17 PM
The one true TPP will be the original Red run, although I will be interested whenever they get to Red at the end of Crystal.

Jeff
6th March 2014, 10:17 PM
I figured this was going to happen. After beating Pryce, they need to make their way all the way back to Goldenrod to face Team Rocket. They started by teaching HootHoot Fly. Yes, they actually intend to fly back to Goldenrod. This can only end well. Then again, if they at least land anywhere near Goldenrod, they can always foot it the rest of the way. So far, even that seems to be out of the question.

Magmar
7th March 2014, 06:12 AM
I watched it here and there... I saw this one really epic battle where I'm pretty sure they beat a trainer with one Pokemon only having like 2/300 HP left and the others knocked out. But it was poisoned and they didn't use antidote in time so the blackout happened. :P

DarkestLight
10th March 2014, 08:51 PM
Holy balls, they're up to Victory road?

Oslo
12th March 2014, 01:03 PM
Yay, we beat Lance! That one was a nail-biter.

Jeff
12th March 2014, 01:29 PM
Not as much of a nail biter as when they decided to start a new game after that :P

Jeff
21st March 2014, 10:35 PM
Emerald time! Starring "A" the female Pokemon trainer (which rhymes with "May", so it works) and Zyyxyy, the Torchic (nicknamed "Zexy", of course).