PDA

View Full Version : European Parliament Election 2014

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd May 2014, 10:05 AM
I just realized I could try out a topic and see how it's kinda cool to be able to vote in the same election with Heald, ChobiChibi, Austrian ViceMaster Alex and other TPMers who live in the EU. So are you guys going to vote? Have you voted already? You don't have to tell whom you voted for, but you can tell. Have you voted before in any election, or is this the first time?

Or couldn't you care less? If you live in, say, the USA, Canada or Australia, could you imagine whom would you vote for if you were at the EU?

My voting career dates back to 2004, when I voted for (surprise surprise) Paavo Väyrynen and he made it to the European Parliament.

I always skip the Finnish Municipal Elections, but I like to vote in the Presidential Election and it was a jackpot in 2012 to be able to vote for Väyrynen once again. He got votes even in the second round although he wasn't a candidate anymore!

Anyways, now in 2014, I'm happy to say I have voted already and I still trust in Paavo Väyrynen. I think he has a good idea. He wants to prevent the 'United States of Europe' development and all the countries to should return to their original currencies. But do you think so? Debate begin!

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
22nd May 2014, 12:46 PM
Well, I'll go to the polls on Sunday but I'm still not sure who to vote for really.

Heald
22nd May 2014, 04:23 PM
I didn't vote. Hard to pick an exact reason so take your pick:

- Couldn't be bothered
- Had better things to do
- Would rather play video games
- Hate all the parties that have a chance of winning
- The European Parliament is meaningless as the EC makes all the laws anyway
- Didn't want to get involved in the circlejerk of either voting UKIP or not voting UKIP

Roy Karrde
22nd May 2014, 09:33 PM
From what I am hearing the UKIP is set to win rather large tonight with Labour Dems taking the brunt of it, can I get any confirmation on this?

ChobiChibi
23rd May 2014, 02:33 AM
I didn't vote. Hard to pick an exact reason so take your pick:

- Couldn't be bothered
- Had better things to do
- Would rather play video games
- Hate all the parties that have a chance of winning
- The European Parliament is meaningless as the EC makes all the laws anyway
- Didn't want to get involved in the circlejerk of either voting UKIP or not voting UKIP

This. All the this.

That and I don't think I know enough about each party to decide. I took a little quiz to see who I'd most likely agree with, and it was the Green Party, Labour and Lib Dems apparently XD

I'm pretty sure UKIP do have the majority, unfortunately :/

Heald
26th May 2014, 04:52 AM
Well, UKIP have well and truly delivered the promised earthquake, with Europhile parties left to scrape up barely a third of the popular vote. Over 50% of the votes in the EU elections went to Eurosceptic parties, giving the strongest possible indication that the party that wins next year's general election will be the one offering an exit from the EU - currently only the Conservative party is offering that and is the only party realistically who can deliver (UKIP will not win at the GE next year). Whatever happens we will soon be entering the election cycle and a lot of nasty things will be said - this year we had a televised advert from Labour characterizing the Prime Minister - the father of a profoundly disabled child - as a man who hates the disabled and hunts them on horseback. A lot of idiots are on my Facebook feed claiming the UK is one step away from turning into Nazi Germany. I have a feeling this will get even nastier than the 2010 election.

Roy Karrde
26th May 2014, 09:08 PM
this year we had a televised advert from Labour characterizing the Prime Minister - the father of a profoundly disabled child - as a man who hates the disabled and hunts them on horseback.

Dude just.. woah suddenly American Political advertisements seem boring and... less creative.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
30th May 2014, 09:20 AM
My candidate got the third most votes in Finland. Yay! But it's frightening how all those nationalists triumphed, especially France's Marine Le Pen and Golden Dawn in Greece.

Roy Karrde
31st May 2014, 01:32 AM
My candidate got the third most votes in Finland. Yay! But it's frightening how all those nationalists triumphed, especially France's Marine Le Pen and Golden Dawn in Greece.

I am not really THAT surprised, the EU as a whole seems to be going down the tubes, and the financial crisis and the collapse of the economy of other nations merely helped spur on nationalism.

Blademaster
2nd June 2014, 12:59 AM
But it's frightening how all those nationalists triumphed

Why is that frightening?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th June 2014, 08:54 AM
As much as I'd like to spam with a random Hitler video found from Youtube, I'll just say that the situation in Europe doesn't look good. The economic depression and the rise of populists and extreme factions remind too much of the 30s.

Heck, I even find our Timo Soini and his party 'The Finns' frightening, eventhough they did fire one of their politicians who purposely performed the nazi salute in public.

http://is11.snstatic.fi/img/658/1288355528955.jpg