PDA

View Full Version : 2014 FIFA World Cup

Telume
13th June 2014, 07:20 PM
How has your experience with this tournament been so far?

Two things I've noticed:

* Lots of shitty refs
* Spain is most likely not repeating.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th June 2014, 10:48 PM
Although Finland's never in, I'd gladly watch FIFA World Cup. Unfortunately, this time they play the majority of the games when I should be sleeping. What's more, our TV channel YLE does have the service to watch the broadcasts later but my computer or extension refuses to show them properly. However, my schedule might be a subject to change.

But Holland beating Spain in the rematch for the last tournament finals... they got their revenge.

Telume
14th June 2014, 11:50 AM
4 years of pent up dutch anger, Dennis Bergkamp was the Non-flying Dutchman, Robin Van Persie is the Flying Dutchman.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/6/13/1402689884408/8c41bfcf-934b-41c2-a874-9d6e534d68b3-620x372.jpeg

RedStarWarrior
14th June 2014, 04:20 PM
FIFA is corrupt as shit and Brazil is going to have to deal with the economic fallout of hosting the World Cup since FIFA gets all the profits.

Any non-profit organization with more than a billion dollars in a bank account to use 'just in case' is not a non-profit organization.

Perfect Chaos
14th June 2014, 05:59 PM
•Brazil vs. Croatia match was bull-shit, lot of bad calls against Croatia especially that one penalty kick but still, they had a lot of chances to make it even and didn't take advantage.

•Same for the Mexico vs. Cameroon match but lot of bad calls against Mexico (I honestly expected it the other way around). I thought Cameroon played pretty well though and really gave it to them. They could be a surprise dark horse to make it to the next round.

•Didn't catch the Netherlands vs. Spain match and I'm mad that I didn't watch it. Looked like it was a lot of fun seeing Spain get shot up as much as they did.

•Didn't catch the Uruguay vs. Costa Rica match either but kudos to CR for pulling the upset there.

•Can't wait for Team USA to take the field day after tomorrow! Bleed Red, White and Blue! :patriot:

Telume
15th June 2014, 12:19 AM
CONCACAF is undefeated in the world cup, here's hoping Honduras pulls through, also hoping we don't fuck it up for our confederation.

Perfect Chaos
15th June 2014, 01:49 PM
And we can appreciate how much of an X-factor Drogba is for Ivory Coast. Comes in exactly with 30 min left in the game and 6 minutes, BAM! BAM! 2 goals to seal the deal. I'm so mad Japan couldn't have came back and at least tied the match. If they could've kept the tie or hell even the win, they would've set themselves up in a good position going into their match against Greece.

Drago
15th June 2014, 07:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the Ivory Coast players were taking dives at the end of their match with Japan to help eat up the clock and protect their lead? If so, poor, poor form. I'm used to flopping in soccer to get a call, but flopping to milk the clock? That's just pathetic. :\

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th June 2014, 06:36 AM
Look at the clock in both of this goals!

w_mf1W6lGRg

KwNl1M-YLY0

RedStarWarrior
23rd June 2014, 08:40 AM
USA did better than England. Guess they have to start using the word 'soccer' again.

Telume
23rd June 2014, 10:07 PM
That tie felt more like a loss tbh.

Telume
27th June 2014, 09:42 PM
Made a bit of history for ourselves, first time USA advances to knockout stage in consecutive tournaments.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
28th June 2014, 12:40 AM
Pyrrhic victory, eh?

"Ἂν ἔτι μίαν μάχην Ῥωμαίους νικήσωμεν, ἀπολούμεθα παντελῶς"
"If we are victorious in one more battle with the Romans, we shall be utterly ruined"

(translated by someone cited in Wikipedia, Mikachu Translate doesn't know Greek)

Little_Pikachu
30th June 2014, 12:31 PM
I put a £10 bet on for Brazil to wear yellow shirts in their first game and got £30 back from it, so since then I've just been gambling my profits on every game. Some have been successful (a cheeky bet for Honda to score first in Japans first game was most enjoyable!) but many I have been scammed on!

Being English has been a bit of a waste of time for this tournament, so now I am rooting for Holland as that's the team my team at work randomly selected for the decorate your section in a countries colours challenge, also I was in Amsterdam last night and it was so crazy after that match!

I don't usually care for any football other than Chelsea after I was adopted into that faith 5 years ago, but gambling on the World Cup has definitely made it more fun and enjoyable and I find myself cheering for teams I don't even like because I have money on them :P

RedStarWarrior
2nd July 2014, 09:06 PM
Everyone has off years.

Telume
3rd July 2014, 12:54 PM
England will be back, as will the U.S. Our future is bright, especially with some of the 20-year old subs that appeared at this tournament.

Dark-San
6th July 2014, 12:49 AM
The English always wallop in defeat in the most fabulous fashion. I did predict them to do badly for this tournament. Made quite a handful of winnings from their games. But the surprise package was Italy not qualifying and Costa Rica went ahead to top the group. The Central Americans were the unexpected package for this year and in last game's match against the Dutch, they show resilience. The tropic weather had to do with some of the dark horses victory for this World Cup, I will expect a good future ahead for this team. Same goes with Team USA.

As for the next few games, I am predicting for Germany to whoop the Brazilian's ass. The Brazilian without their playmaker Neymar will be like a Ferrari without its horsepower. Argentina to win the Dutch on penalties or extra time, to set up a Argentina against Germany final.

Telume
9th July 2014, 01:19 PM
Well, so far, you got the Brazil prediction right. Then again, my final's GER-NED. I just don't see them (Argentina) getting past the Dutch.

Drago
9th July 2014, 07:01 PM
As for the next few games, I am predicting for Germany to whoop the Brazilian's ass. The Brazilian without their playmaker Neymar will be like a Ferrari without its horsepower. Argentina to win the Dutch on penalties or extra time, to set up a Argentina against Germany final.
I wish I had placed bets on your predictions. :(

Telume
9th July 2014, 08:40 PM
Alright, place your bets for world champ.

Also, I'll just... leave this here:

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/539a0b056bb3f74a18bd071f-1175-776/screen%20shot%202014-06-12%20at%204.17.20%20pm.png

Dark-San
10th July 2014, 09:33 AM
Man, I wish I have bought that winning ticket. I predict a scoreline of 4-1 for the Germany-Brazil match. It ended up 7-1. The Germans have simply scored too much. A guy over here bought AOS (All other scores), whose odds were 1:150. And he made a killing of 15k on that match alone.

As for the Brazilians' loss, you don't have to look far to predict this. They were sloppy in their attacks against the Chileans. And went foul playing against the Colombians. Against a much compact Germany, they stand no chance. Adding on top of a few other factors like,

1) Loss of Neymar - This was expected. A team built around a single talent is a good strategy. Many teams I know uses these strategy. Teams like Barcelona using Messi as their pivotal attack, Arsenal using Ozil as their main playmaker. But this of course could easily backfired when that single talent is removed. And Neymar was suffered a horrific injury with that cracked third vertebrate. On top of that, it made a huge loss of morale on the team.

2) The missing captain. Thaigo Silva was on suspension in that match. And in his place, they got a joker to play as a stand in captain. If your defence isn't organized without the main man is really inviting the Germany to go on a scoring spree.

3) The joker. Yes, I am looking at you! David Luis, boy do you really suck! The day Solari decide to go with David Luis as the captain, was the final nail into the coffin. The 50m worth PSG bound defender looked so lost throughout the game. And during his last season with Chelsea FC was horrible, he was unpredictable and too eccentric. I am guessing Chelsea is already laughing all the way to the bank after that match.

4) The goalkeeper that lack the big games experience. I can't remember the keeper's name at the moment. But all I know that this keeper was originally from QPR, a team that is always fighting relegation battles in EPL, and went on loan to Toronto FC. Really? really? REALLY? You count on a keeper that ply his trade in Canada? If I am Solari, I would have pick a better keeper playing either in Europe or the Copa Americans.

As for the games final, here is my 2 cents.

Reasons on why Germany will win,

1) Time is running out. Time and time again, the media has repeatedly been portraying the Germans' as the 'Golden' generation, the most talented squad that they ever get. On paper, the team's talents are immense. Ozil, Muller, Lahms etc. These players are big names. Plying their trade with the best teams in Europe. But in the last World Cup and the last two Euros, they never made it to the big stage. This is perhaps their last chance. After this World Cup, there wouldn't be anymore chances for this generation. Most of them would already have been in their thirties. The insatiable hunger for international success is there.

2) No notable injuries to their squad.

3) The last time this two teams met on the big stage. Germany whoops Argentina's ass 4-1.

Why Germany will lose?

1) They are goal 'gutters'. Germany is better known as the team that 'chokes' when it comes to performing on the most crucial of all moments.

Why will Argentina win?

1) History is on their side. 3 World Cup have been held in South America. And all winners of that cup turns out to be a South American nation. To date, no European team to date has flavored the World's ultimate prize in this continent.

2) Revenge is sweet. What other better way to win a World Cup by doing it on your arch nemesis' home ground? The Brazilians and the Argentinians are bitter rivals. Just like how is England to Germany. Both teams are trying to out do each other on the international front. And besides with Brazil relegated to the third place play offs, the Argentinians will have no better chance than this to achieve the ultimate prize.

3) One person. Lionel Messi. To me, this player is literally God! God of the footballing world at the moment. 3 times FIFA Ballon d'Or winner, multiple winners of the Champion's League with Barcelona etc. The list of achievements goes on and on. I am not going to waste a paragraph explaining them, you can wiki it up yourself if you're interested. As good as this player is, there is still one prize that eludes him. And yes, it is the World Cup medal. With the best chance of his life to claim it, the team might be motivated to go on an extra gear or two and make sure this happen.

Why would Argentina lose?

1) Di Maria is injured. The Real Madrid right attacking forward might be out with a hamstring sprain. With him out, Argentina will probably be going back to their conservative 4-4-2 formation instead of their usual 4-3-3 formation.

Overall from these pointers, it is your pick to decide which team goes on to win the final. If you ask me, I am Argentina bias. I am looking forward no less for a South American victory. My prediction is that the game will probably tie after full time and in-form striker Higuan to score the winning goal in extra time. Of course, you guys needn't follow my bet. After all, there is a saying in Mandarin, "球是圆的". Literally it means the ball is round and there is not saying on which direction it would go to. It might end up behind a Germany net or an Argentina net. Regardless it is still your money. Bet wisely. Or if you're not confident, don't even bother of gambling.

To sum it off, I will leave you here with a message (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRValgHDvxE).

Gavin Luper
17th July 2014, 11:21 AM
So, Germany huh? Who saw that coming?

Drago
17th July 2014, 06:34 PM
Would have put money on Germany after their clinical win in the semis, so I'm kind of bummed about that. However, I also feel like I would have bet on them winning by three goals or some such, so it's probably for the best that I didn't.

Dark-San
18th July 2014, 10:31 AM
That result was dumb! >.> Seriously, hated Germany for making me lose... <.<

Telume
18th July 2014, 10:31 PM
I would've bet money on Germany winning, tbh.

Also, Phillip Lahm retires from international football: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2697152/Philipp-Lahm-retiring-international-football-hammer-blow-World-Cup-winners-Germany.html