PDA

View Full Version : [All] Why is Aegislash banned?

shadownite90
6th November 2014, 03:23 PM
Aegislash is a perfectly good pokemon that has the same base stats as several other great pokemon that are not banned(Flygon, Chandelure, Rotom, etc.). I do not see it as "impossible or very difficult to counter them in a reasonable manner"(http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tiers). So why is it banned?

DarkestLight
9th November 2014, 04:25 AM
Basically, Aegislash:
- was a great stall & wall breaker
- could run mix sets and therefore mean that there was no safe switch in and not rendered useless with Will-O-Wisp
- has great typing
- has STAB priority <---this alone+ 50/50 King's Shield balance game...
- while not possessing an exactly thrilling movepool, has all the moves it needs to be effective, much like Excadrill
- is a brilliant Fairy counter in the current metagame
- has great ability and a priority move that allows it to go offense/ defensive at will, unlike, e.g. Meloetta, who doesn't get priority with Relic Song and is blocked by ghosts

Lady Vulpix
9th November 2014, 09:09 AM
I don't really see the point in banning any Pokemon, but each tournament has its own list of Pokemon you can use, so I'm sure you can find a tournament where Aegislash is allowed.

shadownite90
12th November 2014, 03:47 PM
Basically, Aegislash:
- was a great stall & wall breaker
- could run mix sets and therefore mean that there was no safe switch in and not rendered useless with Will-O-Wisp
- has great typing
- has STAB priority <---this alone+ 50/50 King's Shield balance game...
- while not possessing an exactly thrilling movepool, has all the moves it needs to be effective, much like Excadrill
- is a brilliant Fairy counter in the current metagame
- has great ability and a priority move that allows it to go offense/ defensive at will, unlike, e.g. Meloetta, who doesn't get priority with Relic Song and is blocked by ghosts

Okay, I guess I can see the point. I just feel like it got banned because too many little kids complained that it killed their favorite pokemon. the good does not mean cheap thing. But thanks!

DarkestLight
13th November 2014, 03:48 PM
Truthfully, it's pokemon like aegislash I love because they force us to stop being lazy and create better strategies. I wish it was not banned as well...

Mr.E
18th November 2014, 01:30 PM
Aegislash shouldn't be banned and probably neither should be (Mega) Mawile or (Mega) Lucario... or Swagger. The Smogon populace is just ban-happy these days, which is why I stopped playing standard 6v6 singles and just sorta casually joined the VGC crowd.

Link
7th April 2015, 05:14 AM
No Pokemon should be banned.

homeofmew
8th May 2015, 04:08 PM
Tiers only come into play when not playing competitively.

CaptainJigglypuff
9th May 2015, 06:07 AM
What always baffled me was not knowing why Chatot was banned from online competitions until XY came out. I mean yes I understand it may have been because Chatter had the chance of the recording to be a swear word (which didn't matter as the recording time was extremely short anyway) so why not ban the move itself? I mean why would they ban Chatot and make it the ONLY non-Legendary Pokemon to be banned from online competitions?

Drago
9th May 2015, 09:19 AM
What always baffled me was not knowing why Chatot was banned from online competitions until XY came out. I mean yes I understand it may have been because Chatter had the chance of the recording to be a swear word (which didn't matter as the recording time was extremely short anyway) so why not ban the move itself? I mean why would they ban Chatot and make it the ONLY non-Legendary Pokemon to be banned from online competitions?
Easier to monitor is my guess? Just ban the Pokemon outright instead of having to sift through movesets.

Blademaster
10th May 2015, 12:44 PM
What if you used a Smeargle that had Sketched Chatter?

Drago
10th May 2015, 05:15 PM
What if you used a Smeargle that had Sketched Chatter?
Then you're clearly not playing to win!