PDA

View Full Version : RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7: A Sharknado of Fabulous

Magmar
12th March 2015, 04:46 PM
It's that time again! RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 premiered on March 2 with a rather fabulous fashion show, with the Queens premiering with three(!) fabulous looks. This past week, we had the Queens advertising their own Glamazonian Airways airplane service, lip synching along to a prerecorded spiel and then rocking airline couture.

What do we think of this series so far?? I called this thread a Sharknado of Fabulous because while the queens are gorgeous and their fashion is ON POINT, I'm not floored by this series yet. Has RPDR jumped the shark? I hope not! (Also, fart jokes? Really? Come on, Ru, you're far cleverer than that.)

But by far, I'm loving Ginger Minj. I've always been a fan of the bigger contestants, and Ginger's got a great personality. Granted, she did win the second challenge, but I settled on her before the series even began--I'd like to see her go all the way.

I also really like Jaidynn so far. More Jaidynn, please! If Jaidynn could narrate the entire show, I'd be delighted, but typically also they give extra attention to the eliminated queen, so... Less Jaidynn!

I'm enjoying Max's aesthetic, although I'm waiting for Michelle Visage to call Max out on the schtick of old Hollywood glamour.

Finally, I'm waiting for some true glam from Kennedy Davenport, which I think we'll get.

Not a fan of that Tchotchke girl, or however it's spelled? Violet? Veronica? Vivian? Vivacious? I'm seeing her set up as the antagonist so far, and when she does crash, she'll probably crash pretty hard. She's just way too emotionally fragile to cope with the reality that she's in competition with people who have been doing their art for far longer than her, and that it takes more than just talent to excel at Drag Race.

On a side note, it's always lovely to see Joslyn Fox out and about in the city. She's incredibly sweet and smart.

The_Missing_Link
14th March 2015, 12:23 AM
Unlike last season with Bianca, I'm not really latching onto anyone as a clear favorite. I like Ginger and Max and hope Jasmine Masters can be more than the crazy/weird crop top lady, but I'm rather indifferent about the majority of them. I hope as the season goes on, we'll see more of their personalities (perhaps the snatch game will do the trick).

Oslo
14th March 2015, 12:08 PM
eff yeah rpdr! >D

I try to be patient with reality shows at the beginning. You have to winnow out some of the more boring troglodytes who don't really impact the season (the Sasha Belles, if you will) before shit really gets interesting. That said, the premiere was definitely a hard sell for me. I usually love the humiliation photo shoot in the first episode, so it was disappointing that they did a little runway show instead. At the end of the day, the fashions are often captivating, but I don't watch the show for that reason. I watch for the personalities, and the premiere didn't really showcase them all too effectively.

Katya is my favourite. I also love Ginger. I always admire the queens who can mix comedy and aesthetics, so I expect they'll be real competitors. (The former obviously made a misstep in the second episode, but her lip sync fucking transported me somewhere else. It was so good.) MKD and Trixie are also standouts for me. I hope they continue killing it.

Max isn't serving it up for me so far. She seems lovely (and I especially liked her confessional about how if you're not optimistic and having fun in a drag competition, you're not doing it right) but she also comes across a tad desperate. That polio-chic garbage during the first runway was too much. Miss Fame will clearly go far, but she's too robotic. Violet is an obvious villain, but right now she's a memorable villain, so I'm enjoying her presence on the show—as opposed to Kandy, who is a flat and boring villain.

Also, can we take some time to acknowledge what needs to be acknowledged?

http://38.media.tumblr.com/db6b5eedfca8f391c0bbe43b497649bb/tumblr_nkz5bu9v9W1saom5so3_500.gif

makes me go

http://31.media.tumblr.com/f6425b5f3c10bc80694bce229d07d698/tumblr_nkz2qhVK241qlvwnco1_400.gif

Like dayum, whoever made him knew exactly what the fuck they were doing.

Magmar
14th March 2015, 12:53 PM
http://www.etonline.com/tv/2015/03/24137518/640_beards_rpdr_logo.jpg

Violet!
I'm just... wow.
Wow, that's just, I don't know.
Perfection.
I may not like her, but that look is just.
It's kind of everything rn.

Oslo
14th March 2015, 01:01 PM
Yeah, that's pretty fierce. I love that they're doing a bearded runway. Usually the queens are criticized when they try to go the androgynous route, even though that can be a perfectly legitimate style of drag when it's executed well, so the fact that the show is embracing it gives me life. Poor Michelle, who usually leads the charge against the androgynous looks, won't know what to do with herself.

Magmar
18th March 2015, 04:13 PM
Oh my goodness, what a great episode!!
I'm probably going to watch it again. Because Max was everything. Her team was so funny. I loved everything about it, including watching Violet get taken down a peg or two haha

Oslo
20th March 2015, 11:55 PM
It was so nice to see Max stripping down a bit of her shtick. I liked how she ditched the British accent when she was trying to motivate Jaidynn.

Who else was super underwhelmed by that lip sync? Granted, the song lacked the extremity a good lip sync song needs, but Kennedy and Jasmine have been in the game a long time—they should know how to deliver a winning performance, but they were both pretty flat. Kennedy will be following Jasmine out the door sometime soon if she doesn't step up her game. srsly.

Magmar
21st March 2015, 12:12 PM
I don't think Kennedy is long for this show...

I was surprised to see Kandy turn it out. I'm pretty sure she's on the way out, since she's getting the "barely there" edit. But who knows? I'd actually like to see her stay for a while. I don't know how that a drag queen named Kandy Ho is really America's Next Drag Superstar though... (like is she part of the Haus of Ho or something?)

Ginger, once again, rocked a challenge. It was really cool to see that entire team pull it off. Great performance.

Jaidynn did hit that roadblock in her acting challenge, but she didn't let it get the best of her. It was SO GOOD to see them all encourage her like that.

On an unrelated note, the new Sailor Moon Crystal come out today and all I can say is...

Sailor Moon. ...You're safe.

Tuxedo Kamen. You finally used a useful attack! For your usefulness for the first time ever, you are the winner of this week's main challenge. CONDRAGULATIONS.

Rubeus. You took an energy blast like a champ, but your shoulders don't match your hips. .....you're safe, FOR NOW.

Chibi-Usa. You stole the Silver Crystal so you're kind of an asshole. But, you finally gave some useful information. You're safe. You may join the other girls in the 30th century.

*LIP SYNC*
Sailor Venus. Your attack was underwhelming but you turned it out in the end. Shantay you stay.

Calaveras. You are a fierce medium. Now... sashay away. *Moon Attack KABOOM you dead.*

Oslo
25th March 2015, 10:18 AM
Jeezus, what was that? I get that Trixie is self-styled "comedy queen" who failed to deliver comedy in her parody music video, but why the eff did she go home? She's still smart, creative, mature and likable, which puts her ahead of at least half the remaining queens. Ru has made a point of lighting a fire under the butts of so many contestants over the years, so I don't get why Trixie was unceremoniously cast aside the second she came up a little short. There were so many other bland performances. Ru may as well have eliminated Kandy, since it's pretty obvious she's on borrowed time anyway. Trixie's elimination just feels like a blatant (and, judging by the state of the rpdr subreddit the other night, successful) attempt to generate social media buzz, much like Ben's elimination.

Also, let's be clear: Jaidynn was the winner of that challenge. Not Kennedy. Jaidynn.

I dunno. This season feels a little different than the past ones. I love Katya and Ginger, and Max is sweet, but that's about it for queens I'd really be gagging to see live. My fingers are crossed that things will get better from here.

Magmar
25th March 2015, 03:10 PM
I totally agree with your assessment of Kennedy having come in second to Jaidynn! I feel like Jaidynn got robbed to give Kennedy a better story, but I don't think we're done with Jaidynn yet. Right now, she's my #1.

Trixie going home instead of Pearl felt like an unfair assessment, but Pearl really did channel Blondie in that lip sync. I hated to admit that Pearl did it better because I loved Trixie's schtick. I also love Trixie's flannel, haha!

I'm thinking Trixie will be the Queen to return, if one does this season.

As for the others...
It could have been Trixie, Pearl, or Miss Fame to go home; wouldn't have mattered to me any way it goes. None of them are super exciting to me.

I want to like Katya more, but I don't know her that well yet.

All four of them seem like plastic Barbies. None of them really stand out. Trixie is the one I liked most out of the four. I did really hate her fashion this week, though.

Kandy Ho needs some time to perform individually in order to shine. I think we'll see another side of Kandy if she does.

Kennedy has a good attitude, and I'm glad she's sticking around for a bit more.

Ginger I'm liking less and less, and I think we see a lot of her narrative because she's good enough to stick through the entire series without getting the boot. She's not overwhelmingly amazing, but I do like her... sort of. I'm calling Ginger in the top four.

Max is going to take Michelle's feedback and run with it. It'll be cool to see what becomes of Max. I think Max is here to stay as well. I'm also calling Max in the top four.

Violet finally has shown some responsiveness to feedback, and through Jaidynn, and only through Untucked. I'm thinking Violet is finally respecting one of her sisters in that regard. I hate to say it, but Violet will probably also be top four.

Jaidynn, I'm also thinking top four, but I'm thinking she'll go home in the final challenge before the music video. I really like Jaidynn, and she's getting a great edit in the series so far. I'd like to see her win, but I can't say that she'll definitely come out on top. I think she would fairly be chosen over Victoria, er, Vivian, er, whatever. She'd also be fairly chosen over Max, or at least tie with Max, who I can't see winning the series--I can see Max as Miss Congeniality, but only if she goes home before the final episode. If I had to pick who would win between Ginger and Jaidynn, I'd have to say Ginger, but only because she's more outgoing.

So yeah... Top Four: Jaidynn, Ginger, Vicky (?), and Max. Jaidynn to go home in the final episode and taking Miss Congeniality (please stay, please stay, PLEASE stay), and top three being ranked Ginger > Max > Viola (? I must be getting close).

IF Jaidynn makes it to Top 3, then Ginger > Jaidynn > Max/Vanna (???).

I can see Jaidynn, Max, and Vincenza becoming really close, too, which might grate on Ginger et al. a bit--with them refusing to become a super exclusive clique but rather supportive of one another. Either Max or Jaidynn is going to break through to Valerie in the next couple of challenges, and who knows, maybe she'll be quite lovely when it's all said and done? When I think of personalities, I can usually spot the queens that have that intuition preference over sensing (thinking Jaidynn and Max again) and usually choose to support them through the contest.

I didn't even mention Mrs. Kasha Davis originally. Wow. I don't know what's going to happen with Kasha; she may be the winner of Snatch Game, and this might be the lip sync of Vapidisha or whatever vs. one of the aforementioned Plastic Barbies that really wakes up Venomoth(?). We don't know Kasha that well yet, either, and there's a lot to learn. At least we actually see Kasha, unlike Kandy Ho, who we only see on the mainstage, usually with a roll of the eyes from Michelle Visage.

BTW, Michelle's face when Mama Ru said the runway challenge was all-green--the audience just KNOWS that was to piss off Michelle! Haha.

Oslo
3rd April 2015, 01:59 PM
That was a decent episode. I wasn't quite ready to see MKD go. She wasn't exactly shining all that much, her mini-challenge performance notwithstanding, but I think she has a lot of talent. She would have been fun in the Snatch Game. Oh, and I suppose it was nice to see a bit of personality from Miss Fame with her whole chicken confessional. I'm still not in love with her, but I suspect she will go far. If Ginger doesn't take the crown, I'm betting Fame will.

I'm trying to think of other major things to remark upon. Um. Pearl's drama felt a little bit like a low-rent version of last season's TKB storyline. Anything else? I'm drawing a blank. idk. I'm still waiting for this season to ramp up and really deliver the charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent this show is usually so capable of delivering.

Magmar
8th April 2015, 06:49 PM
I'm still not seeing the charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent! I want to feel for Pearl, but this past episode feels rather rushed. It wasn't really all that exciting at all.

Kandy No'. I'm glad Jaidynn sent her home, but I'm worried about my boo for coming in the bottom two.

On the bright side... Monday is SNATCH GAME!! Finally, an individual challenge! It'll be cool to see if Ginger can really hold her own like she claims she can.

Ginger - Calm your tits girlfriend, you're not God's gift to drag. Ginger seems to love to stir the pot. I maintain she's the Dolores Umbridge of drag.

Kennedy - Your time to sashay away has come. Please leave your cancerous drama and apathetic malaise for another day. Or don't. Just leave.

Katya - She's kind of funny, but again, not someone I'm excited to see week after week. This could change once she gets more dialogue, now that we're about halfway through the series--only five challenges to go before top 3.

Miss Fame - Her breakdown felt deliberate and strategic, not heartwarming and original. I would've loved to see her lip sync this week instead of Jaidynn, if only to show her that enough is enough. We haven't seen all that Miss Fame has to offer. We need more from you miss thang!

Victoire Lasagna Chiselsworth - THAT WAIST THO. She's bringing something every week, so I can see why she's still in the game. It's not like she's the fiercest competitor, but I think she deserves to still be in the competition--given who Vesta McLaughin Berthiaume's up against, anyway. (I still don't know who she is.)

Max - Come onnnnn Max, stop being so pretentious. I want to love Max, and she's quite a charming and charismatic leader, but she needs to mix up her look a bit and also stop frowning upon her sisters for being, well, drag queens.

Pearl - I'm not fully convinced of her redemption arc, but given the others' lack of progress, she could be on the up and up.

Jaidynn - The only one who I remain convinced could have held her own in another season. But she needs to stop being a product of her environment. When she's around good energy, she does really well. When she's asked to come up with original material, she's quite bright--it's clear she's very smart. She even managed to do well in teamwork with Kennedy, which is an accomplishment that speaks more to her qualities than Kennedy's. I'm definitely Team Jaidynn.

Kandy Skrillex Go Home' - Not so much. She just throws in the towel when she doesn't resonate well with a challenge and relies on her lip syncing to pull her through. With that attitude, she deserved to sashay away every bit as much as Jasmine Masters.

RuPaul - COME UP WITH MORE EXCITING CHALLENGES.

Magmar
9th April 2015, 11:53 AM
this absolutely warrants a double post because we got some kadabras up in this thread.
KATYA DID SHARKNADO FOR HER RUNWAY LOOK. this thread's title is psychic.

Oslo
10th April 2015, 08:50 PM
Yeah, this was just another pretty-good-I-guess episode for me. I'm still not gagging. I'm hoping Monday's Snatch Game is able to breathe a little more life into this season. Based on the preview, there will be a few interesting storylines, what with Disney Sharon Needles and Rick James and a panoply of Donatella Versaces running around. Whether there will also be interesting performances remains to be seen.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/a664f73c71734a3d3e28359e017e7121/tumblr_nj1vu6rG5L1rosb88o3_400.gif

sweet jesus my drag boner is at full mast right now

The_Missing_Link
12th April 2015, 09:43 PM
I admit, Violet's look was rather impressive. Still not sold on her yet though

CaptainJigglypuff
13th April 2015, 07:06 PM
Watching it right now and I am drooling over the guys in the underwear!

Oslo
14th April 2015, 06:55 PM
Snatch Game! Time for me to put on my Michelle Visage wig and my Ross Matthews bubblegum suit jacket, 'cause I'mma judge these bitches.

Max as Sharon Needles: That was hard to watch, especially given that Max is the kind of queen who seems like a Snatch Game shoo-in on paper. I really can't understand what would compel someone so clever to impersonate a character like Sharon Needles. Some celebrities are funny because they have a whole Rolodex of imitable mannerisms, and some celebrities are funny because they're just witty as hell. Sharon falls into the latter category, which makes her incredibly difficult to impersonate. The look was right, but nothing else was. Later, gurl.

Jaidynn as Raven-Symoné: Another bad choice. It felt like Jaidynn was just being Jaidynn. She didn't really showcase any impersonation skills. Also, she pretty much just trotted out the same joke over and over, which is kind of expected when you pick a celebrity who doesn't have a whole lot of quirky associations you can fall back on. Jaidynn has a winning personality, but I don't think she has the right chops to make it much further in the competition.

Katya as Suze Orman: What a brilliant pick. I would have never guessed we'd see Suze Orman on the panel, let alone a funny Suze Orman. There was probably room to take the impersonation a little further, but I'm still not complaining. Also, the moment she shared in the workroom was incredibly sweet. Katya, I don't know if you will win this competition, but you have won my heart.

Violet as Alyssa Edwards: That was a pretty safe performance. Alyssa is an amazing choice for Snatch Game, since she is basically a walking cartoon character, but Violet was really only half-stepping it. I hope someone else tackles Alyssa in the future and really fucking delivers. (Also, did anyone else think it was strange that Ru was steering Violet away from Versace while also steering Fame toward Versace? What was up with that?)

Pearl as Big Ang: That was awesome. I haven't really been buying into the whole "Pearl's come out of her shell!!" storyline until now. The line about not watching Batman and Robin as a child had me gut-laughing. I get why she wasn't in the top three, but of the two safe queens, I feel like Pearl was miles ahead. I hope she is able to keep this up.

Fame as Donatella Versace: Flaaaatliiiine. Maya Rudolph did such an amazing Versace on SNL, which makes it tricky for someone to do something fresh with the character. Additionally, Fame did that thing Milk did last season where she thought the accent would do all the heavy-lifting for her, and it didn't, in part because it wasn't even the right accent half the time. Fame needs to get her shit together fast.

Kennedy as Little Richard: That was incredible. Her answers weren't necessarily the wittiest, but her characterization was wonderful. The lilting howl thing never got old. I know it's called Snatch Game, which implies you're supposed to do a woman, but I have no problem with a queen impersonating a male celebrity as drag-adjacent as Little Richard. I really like the way the show has been embracing androgyny a little more this season. I hope that trend continues.

Ginger as Adele: Another really great performance. On paper, Adele isn't the best celebrity to impersonate on the Snatch Game—she's too normal and well-adjusted to really be funny. However, Ginger made her dim and conceited in the right way. The fact that she was able to execute the correct accent (*cough*Fame*cough*) also helped. My main issue was the Twinkies. The whole "fat girl eating food" bit is a little trite at this point, especially since we've seen it on this show in the past. Still, Ginger nailed it.

Overall, this was probably the strongest episode of the season for me. Oh, and I'm really excited about the returning queen. Maybe there will be #justicefortrixie after all?

Magmar
21st April 2015, 09:35 PM
*currently sitting shiva for Jaidynn*