PDA

View Full Version : Same-Sex Marriage LEGAL Across USA!

Gavin Luper
27th June 2015, 08:30 PM
Great news from the states about same-sex marriage being legalised nation-wide.

:hellyeah:

What does this mean to you? Have you recovered from the beam of rainbow light that melted your corneas every time you looked at social media?

Discuss. :D

Perfect Chaos
27th June 2015, 09:14 PM
Facebook News Feed is a battlefield of confederate flags vs Skittles

EDIT: Oh and the cat in my avatar is shitting out rainbows. Reflection of my thoughts on this whole thing.

Drago
28th June 2015, 07:03 AM
Good news, obviously. But I myself will not jump on the current rainbow bandwagon while I live in a country where equality is still not found. Once it's happening in my own backyard, then I will celebrate.

Magmar
28th June 2015, 08:39 AM
Ironically, I just came to TPM because I remembered I'd been posting pretty regularly about marriage equality for all for some time now. Ya beat me to it!

It is a HUGE HUGE HUGE relief in so many ways!! I want to go on to a doctorate level program in a major that is not offered at many universities. A large amount of those universities are in states that did not previously have marriage equality. This liberates me to choose marriage as an option prior to attending university (but first I have to get into one LOL... both a relationship and a university...)

Tony, if y'all need help, I'm happy to go shit rainbows all over Australia until marriage equality becomes a thing there, too. ;)

Oslo
28th June 2015, 12:48 PM
In Canada, we were same-sex marrying before it was cool. :cool2: :399: :cool2:

Hopefully increased protection for the liberties/dignity of trans people will follow.

Blademaster
28th June 2015, 06:48 PM
I'm mostly just curious what this means for those 19 or so states where it was still illegal.

Unless they all caved one by one, I mean. I don't know if that's what happened or if there was just some big singular federal ruling that overrides all the individual states' decisions.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
29th June 2015, 09:17 AM
Congratulations, USA.

EDIT: In my country, no matter what the legality, all the people do is either resign from the Evangelical Lutheran Church or sign back to it :\

Lady Vulpix
29th June 2015, 11:52 AM
Took you people long enough! :D

Katie
29th June 2015, 09:38 PM
I'm mostly just curious what this means for those 19 or so states where it was still illegal.

Unless they all caved one by one, I mean. I don't know if that's what happened or if there was just some big singular federal ruling that overrides all the individual states' decisions.

SCOTUS declared that the bans (in all of the states that had them) are unconstitutional, therefor they are no longer legally enforceable laws. :) Well, other than if you talk to Texas' attorney general supposedly giving state workers the "okay" to deny marriage licenses to any gay applicants (THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS, PAXTON YOU SHITHEAD). He is basically trying to be the George Wallace (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_in_the_Schoolhouse_Door) of this generation and he deserves the infamy he will get.

Blademaster
2nd July 2015, 08:13 PM
SCOTUS declared that the bans (in all of the states that had them) are unconstitutional, therefor they are no longer legally enforceable laws.

Oh, neat. So, does this mean every unconstitutional law no longer applies? Because I'd be very happy about that.

Forgive me if this sounds insensitive, but I didn't even know gay people were mentioned in the Constitution. Thanks for not teaching me that, grade school/high school/introductory college history courses. :sweat:

Lady Vulpix
3rd July 2015, 11:31 AM
They weren't mentioned. Individual freedoms were. Those apply to all people, gay or otherwise.