PDA

View Full Version : Will Work For Money

mattbcl
13th September 2016, 12:52 AM
Celine and I are five weeks away from moving halfway across the country. Most of the pieces are falling into place -- we have the money to support the move, we have the house we'll be moving into, we're getting our stuff packed away, we have a bank account set up, we're establishing the paper trail, and so on. One thing missing, though... how to earn a living wage?

So I finally began my job search in earnest. I've been looking at a particular organization for some time -- I do my research when it comes to other places which offer the same services as the one I work for -- and I took the plunge yesterday morning, before my shift, to get an application and résumé submitted. To be perfectly honest, I don't have any sort of proper benchmark in mind for how long I should expect to wait for a reply. At my current job, it took several weeks for my employers to get back to me to discuss an interview. Several more weeks passed before I got a job offer.

Imagine my shock when this morning, not even 24 hours after I had submitted an application (and on the weekend, no less), I received a phone call from said organization, asking if I'd be available to do an interview with them, via phone or Skype, later this week! Keep in mind, this was the very first app I've put in. Makes me wonder if I was the only applicant... but I'd like to believe that if they were this quick on the draw, it's because I'm very qualified. (The nature of the job I applied for is nearly identical to what I've been doing for the last 2 1/2 years. I know a thing or two.)

Naturally, following this phone call, I discovered that an alternate location belonging to the same organization had two similar positions open... and this other location is measurably closer to where I'm moving.

Two new apps filed this evening. Let's see what happens tomorrow morning...

Lady Vulpix
13th September 2016, 06:56 AM
Good luck with that, Matt! Getting a living wage can be hard here too (which is why I have 2 jobs). But I know you can do it. :)

Link
13th September 2016, 03:17 PM
May you and her live within your jobs and have fun, too!:)

Magmar
14th September 2016, 07:42 AM
Good luck! I understand the struggle, being fun-employed too. I have had four spectacular interviews this week, though, and am eagerly awaiting some news!

(Ya boy magmar is broke! LOL)

mattbcl
15th September 2016, 11:15 AM
I've been in daily communication with this place throughout the week. Their interest only seems to be increasing with each phone call and e-mail. Most recently, they gave me a writing prompt. Heavens to Murgatroyd...

Lady Vulpix
16th September 2016, 03:34 PM
That's great news! Also, Happy Birthday!

shazza
18th September 2016, 02:15 AM
You'll do fine! You're a creative, intelligent, and kind individual. All the best to you. :)

mattbcl
20th September 2016, 11:59 AM
UPDATE: I got the job!

To offer proper context -- I currently operate as a Youth Worker and Residential Service Assistant in a residential mental health treatment facility for at-risk children with behavior disorders. At this writing, although I have over two years' practical experience in the field, I'm actually the lowest-ranked and lowest-paid staffer in my cottage.

The job I applied for is one step and a small pay increase above what I get now (Residential Counselor I or II). This would have put me on par with my teammates at my current job.

After a week-long interview process, the job I was offered is Lead Residential Counselor III, wherein I will be in charge of daily program coordination, and I'll be receiving a 45% pay increase. This effectively puts me on par with Program Coordinators at my current job (a position I've coveted here but would not be eligible for without another 3 years' experience), but getting paid more than even the most senior PC on my campus.

All y'all's good karma must've helped me out! I can hardly believe all the chips are falling into place.

shazza
21st September 2016, 06:38 AM
That's amazing! Well done. :)

Lady Vulpix
21st September 2016, 10:09 AM
That's excellent news! Congratulations!

Magmar
23rd September 2016, 03:03 PM
Well done! Congrats!! :)

mattbcl
26th September 2016, 10:33 AM
I've apparently been trying to sabotage myself with the whole moving + job thing. I'm turning my notice of resignation today, which says that my final day of work at my current job will be October 15 (a Saturday). Somehow I had thought that we could then move the very next day, go 1300 miles across the country in a 30-hour period, and sit down at the new place to fill out all the requisite paperwork in time to make orientation THE FOLLOWING WEEK. (Oh, and my parents have already made plans to come visit us and help us pack things up on that Sunday we were supposed to leave.) My other half wisely counseled me that this was like bathing with scissors... why would I ever think this was a good idea?

So, on more good advice from my thoughtful fiancee, I contacted the new place to ask if it would be okay to push back my start date to the next orientation period (two weeks later), and described to them the reasons why. I was exceptionally anxious to do this, as I don't like the thought of someone thinking I'm a flake or a lazy bum, least of all a potential employer. On the other hand, there's absolutely no point in arriving on-scene completely burned out. Surely they can understand that when you work in the mental health business, taking care of yourself should be a top priority, right?

Fortunately for me, I was assured that it would be no problem to push my start date back, as long as I got in and took care of the required paperwork as soon as possible. The recruiter I spoke with was very understanding about the circumstances and agreed on the necessity to take some time to orient myself to my new surroundings before orienting myself with my new job. So, I can still be done with my job on the 15th, take the 16th to finish packing / say goodbye to friends / spend time with my family, leave on the morning of the 17th, and have a full three weeks' time to get ready for a job I'm already really good at.

I think I'm gonna like this place.

Link
28th September 2016, 04:38 PM
Nice job, matt!

Lady Vulpix
28th September 2016, 05:57 PM
Oh! Well, that's a relief! I'm glad the recruiter was understanding.