PDA

View Full Version : The power... the POWER!

AKA Pokemon Fan
15th December 2002, 02:36 PM
**Apologies if this has been revealed already, but I couldn't find it on the pages so I made this topic.**

Those who have been to the Meowth346's mirror site pokedex may have noticed an odd change in the minimum/max stats of each Pokemon. Next to the originals are two new minimum and max stats in parenthenses. Now these can only be one thing, the famous increased/decreased stats one can get in Pokemon RS via personality changes. The results are incredible. Here's just a few examples:

Meganium's Max Special Attack (at level 100) goes from a below average 265 to a usefull 291! It's Speed can now reach 284!

Charizard now has the ability to get a max of 293 Attack, 280 Defense 328, or 348 Special Attack! (compared to its former max of 316.)

Pidgeot can now have a max Attack of 284 compared to its former 259, and it's Speed can now reach 309! Its defenses have been raised to 273 and 262 respectively.

You can just imagine what it does to Mewtwo's Special Attack... its too frightening to be written down...

Of course you have to sacrifice other stats to get any one of these, but there are plenty of Pokemon that can afford too (what does Pidgeot need with Special Attack anyway for instance). With this, characteristics, and the possibilities in two vs. two battling the playing field with Pokemon is finally becoming more balanced and even. It's wonderful!

I have many more examples availible to me at a glance if you can't access the pokedex, so just ask if you want more.

TeamRocketElite
15th December 2002, 04:22 PM
If you combine this with the Effort Value Cap, a stat can cary over a range of over 100 points!

Oddish17
15th December 2002, 04:36 PM
Well good, while you're boosting that one stat, the rest of your stats will be horrible, meaning it's pretty much worthless.

For example, every pokemon AKA mentioned in his post, it will be impossible to get ALL of those max stats at one time. Give me a few minutes, I'll prove to you what I mean.

AKA Pokemon Fan
15th December 2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by TeamRocketElite
If you combine this with the Effort Value Cap, a stat can cary over a range of over 100 points!
What is the Effort Value Cap? A new item? What other new items are there and what do they do?

AKA Pokemon Fan
15th December 2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Oddish17
Well good, while you're boosting that one stat, the rest of your stats will be horrible, meaning it's pretty much worthless.

For example, every pokemon AKA mentioned in his post, it will be impossible to get ALL of those max stats at one time. Give me a few minutes, I'll prove to you what I mean.
First of all I never said you could get all those stats on one Pokemon, and secondly what does it matter? As I said what does Pidgeot need with a Special Attack stat? You could lower that stat as much as you want and the Pokemon wouldn't suffer. Lower Clowster's Defense a bit, give it more of a stat it needs, no harm done. Tekkanin will be faster than most Pokemon no matter how much Speed stat points it loses (and they can only be lowered by like thirty points or something).

Oddish17
15th December 2002, 04:59 PM
I explained Effort Value in a topic I made a while ago. I'm too lazy to explain it again, sorry.

Anyways, I used Pidgeot as my example. Pidgeot's max overall stat is 1389, just for general knowledge. This number may not be exactly right, so lets say there's a margin of error of +/- 5. I didn't make this number up, this is actual data. Here are Pidgeot's stats before personality is added in. I used 102 Effort value for every stat except Special Attack. SA I used 0, as Pidgeot doesn't need Special Attack. This Pidgeot also has max DV's(IV's):

Pidgeot
HP: 333
ATT: 222
DEF: 212
SPE: 244
SPA: 176
SPD: 202

As you can see, Special Attack is pathetic, because I gave it 0 Effort value. the rest of the number's aren't any more encouraging. However, this reduction in stats occurs in every single pokemon. The stats above are probably the most balanced stats you will be able to get in a Pidgeot. 1389 is the overall max stat you can get, no matter what you do it won't go any higher. Now, personality can increase one of those stats, but you'll have to sacrifice another. Seeing its bad stats, you can see why this may not be a good thing. On Pidgeot, it's an easy choice to lower Special Attack and boost something else, but on other pokemon this decision will be much more difficult.

If this was confusing to anyone, I apologize in advance. I assure you everything I said was true, unless I'm terribly mistaken. I'm currently working on what every pokemon's overall max stats are, I may post it sometime this week, just because I can.

rinku
15th December 2002, 07:09 PM
Might be worth mentioning at this point that AFAIK your pokémon's personality is set at the same time as the IV's and doesn't change. There appear to be 25 personalities, and each one has one of Strength, Defense, Speed, Special Attack and Special Defence raised and lowered. This should mean that there are 5 personalities with a net "no effect", and only 4 out of 25 which would have the increased stat of your desire. If you were after a particular personality, the chances of getting one with max IV in the "good" stat is 1/800, assuming even distribution. Might take some time...

Kitsune
15th December 2002, 07:57 PM
Perhaps this doesn't carry over to R/S, but aren't special attack and special defense both calculated from one stat? I would think that you couldn't tweak one up or down without affecting the other in a similar manner.

TeamRocketElite
15th December 2002, 08:06 PM
Perhaps this doesn't carry over to R/S, but aren't special attack and special defense both calculated from one stat?

Not anymore. They are treated as seperate stats. Also the HP IV is no longer based on the other IVs.

Scythemantis
15th December 2002, 09:47 PM
Sheesh, where have you been kitsune? Special attack and defense were made two seperate stats in Gold/Silver!!

TeamRocketElite
15th December 2002, 09:48 PM
Special attack and defense were made two seperate stats in Gold/Silver!!

But they shared an IV and Effort Exp in GSC. In RS they do not.

Cloned Hybrid
16th December 2002, 05:17 AM
Sweet! I can't wait to use this to increase my Mewtwo's stats.

AKA Pokemon Fan
16th December 2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Cloned Hybrid
Sweet! I can't wait to use this to increase my Mewtwo's stats.
Haven't you heard that as far as we know there is no way to get a Pokemon you have on RBYGSC onto RS?

I sure hope all this stuff about stats, attacks, and two vs. two battling gets better understood soon as it's confusing me to no end...:(