PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of the Spoiler Subforum

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th October 2020, 11:12 AM
Being the Anime and Manga subforum moderator, I'm tempted to archive the Spoiler sub-subforum. The problem is, that it's impossible to keep track which member watches which anime and how many episodes that member has seen. Youtube and streaming sites have made pretty much everyone in the world to be able to watch anime. Fandom sites even release accurate information on what happens in each episode, so many anime viewers skip filler episodes, or episodes they aren't interested in, even entire seasons. That's why I'd like to archive the Spoiler sub-subforum and to make things easiers, even decree [SPOILER] tags useless!

What does everyone else think?

Fett One
6th October 2020, 11:28 AM
I could see getting rid of the sub-forum.

However, I would keep the spoiler tags. They should still be used for the first week that an episode comes out or when discussing leaks for upcoming episodes, assuming this is all going under a general thread for ongoing series. If it's a thread for a specific episode or to discuss future events, than a spoiler warning should be put in the Thread Title and a reminder in the first post that potential spoilers will be discussed.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th October 2020, 11:34 AM
I could see getting rid of the sub-forum.

However, I would keep the spoiler tags. They should still be used for the first week that an episode comes out or when discussing leaks for upcoming episodes, assuming this is all going under a general thread for ongoing series. If it's a thread for a specific episode or to discuss future events, than a spoiler warning should be put in the Thread Title and a reminder in the first post that potential spoilers will be discussed.

Thanks for your input! Sounds like a good compromise. I'll wait for other opinions and I also must see how it's done.

Knight of Time
6th October 2020, 11:39 AM
I'm in complete agreement with Fett One here; we don't really need the sub-forum anymore, but it would still be best to keep the spoiler tags. They would make future events that might happen in the world of anime more noticable, including stuff some people might not otherwise see coming (like the return of a character that was thought to have been written out of an anime).

Since anime episodes air in Japan first (that's my assumption), they're the first ones to see whether speculation about something or someone turns out to be real or not.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th October 2020, 11:59 AM
At least Wakanim and Crunchyroll have some series as simulcast so the episodes appear there subbed quite quickly.

Lady Vulpix
6th October 2020, 01:07 PM
Maybe we should set a standard for how long something has to be public in for it to be considered a spoiler. Like... Maybe for one or two weeks after the official release. Any longer than that and people who still haven't seen it are going to get spoiled elsewhere anyway.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th October 2020, 10:02 PM
Another problem is that there are so many series that nobody can keep track of them all. Unless you are Near from Death Note, who watched multiple TV screens at the same time.

One or two weeks sounds fair though.

Drago
7th October 2020, 04:42 AM
I hate having things spoiled, but at the same time, I try to be realistic about where I'm likely to come across them.

I think if it's inferred in the title, that should be enough, and maybe major spoilers could/should have the spoiler vB code attached.

Needless to say, any conversation that references spoilers in another anime should always be hidden at first. If I'm in a Death Note thread and someone drops an Attack on Titan spoiler without warning, I'd be pissed.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
7th October 2020, 08:13 AM
I get your point, Drago. Common sense. Fortunately we have the Spoiler code, speaking of Death Note with L dead, he's replaced by Near and Mello. (an example, in case you have yet to see season 2.

Lady Vulpix
9th October 2020, 03:52 PM
OK, I guess the subforum isn't really necessary, then. But spoiler tags are.

I'll leave this up for a couple of days to see if anyone has any objections, and if that's not the case then I'll merge the subforum into the main forum.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
10th October 2020, 12:31 AM
Should I type down the rules of the renewed Anime and Manga forum after you have merged them? I already opened a discussion back in April, but that one got no replies. I also feel I have had enough time to think about the suggestions I made back there, so I know which ones of them are good and which ones are bad.

Lady Vulpix
11th October 2020, 08:39 AM
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. And sorry I haven't been more helpful, my life has been hectic this year.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
11th October 2020, 09:54 AM
OK, thanks for the merge! I'll write the rules tomorrow or day after tomorrow, right now I'm both tired and my head is occupied by a mistake in my everyday matters.

Lady Vulpix
11th October 2020, 12:21 PM
We all make mistakes. Do what you can do fix it, but don't dwell on it too much. Don't let it hurt you.